home

Author Topic: Knights in an empire army  (Read 4070 times)

Offline fabbwin

• Members
Knights in an empire army
« on: June 19, 2004, 06:11:16 PM »
this has been recently revised and improved 22/6/04
by Nathan Fabb

knights are one of the units that ads a real solid punch to an empire army, with knightly orders and white wolf knights you have a good selection
White Wolf or Knightly Orders
when deciding whether to take white wolf or a knightly order i tend to take knightly orders because they are cheaper and have a 1+ armour save, but if you are planning to send your knights behind enemy lines a lot then the +1 strength when charged can be handy, but keep in mind that both kinds get +2 strength on the charge. so in short take knightly orders since you should be charging anyway and a 1+ armour save can really annoy a lot of armies
what to lead knights
Elector Count equipped with a lance, full plate, shield, warhorse+ barding and a holy relic makes a good leader(even though most people say that the infantry need his leadership, but trust me the knights will benefit and the infantry can survive with a ld8 warrior priest wielding a G. weapon.)
Templar Grand master is too expensive points wise unless! Your army is only knights in which case he slaughters the enemy. I would equip him with a “holy relic” or “the white cloak”
The Warrior Priest is a useful leader due to his hatred ability against chaos. Equip him with a warhorse with barding,
If you are running short of leaders then a captain can do well but I think that he is better as an infantry leader.
How to use knights
flanking the enemy army is normally the best method of using knights, a combined charge of knights in the front and pistoliers in the side/rear makes a very deadly combo. Knights can also be used as a strong reserve if and only if the player is adopting a defensive strategy, knights can also protect your artillery from those evil fast moving units. a unit of between 6-16 inner circle knights will be sufficient though if you are taking 16 I would suggest two units of 8. I take mine in units of 11 led by an elector count. disruption of the enemy lines should be the knights first objective since their primary role is offensive, you may even think about using them to march block by just moving alongside the enemy unit then on the next go charge the enemies rear forces. you can also use them to hold your centre to charge the enemies centre and create a hole through which the rest of your force can exploit. Always! upgrade them to inner circle and take a full command. if possible try to have them screened from shooting by skirmishers, terrain or even the enemy units since their low numbers makes them vulnerable, these are your elite troops along with greatswords.
Another tactic with knights is to have a small unit of about 5-7 and just place them inside your opponents charge range then have them flee as a charge reaction, and then countercharge with a well placed unit of swordsmen, and hopefully the knights will rally next turn and enter the fray or mop up the pieces.
standards
The griffon banner is a good item since it doubles your rank bonus in H.T.H. However you are not allowed to pursue (sigh!) so you should probably use it in a defensive role.
banner of valour is also useful since it makes the unit immune to panic.
standard of arcane warding isn’t particularly useful since the enemy will probably target a different unit instead, and the points will be better spent increasing your number of points.
Steel standard is a very useful banner since it adds d3” to the charge, imagine and enemy unit slowly gaining ground and un-exspectantly you charge from a distance previously thought to be out of range.
Banner of duty is handy if you have an extra 10 points left

Summary
Take inner circle knightly orders and have them led by an elector count unless you are fighting chaos in which case use a mounted warrior priest, use the knights to flank the enemy army or as a counter-charge unit, take the griffon banner on the defensive otherwise take the banner of valour or steel standard
the many will allow the few to decide their fate

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 12:04:19 AM »
fabbwin, you really need to spell check and edit this post to achieve some level of readability.

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 02:00:18 AM »
Actually I find that using a captain or warrior priest to lead the knights is better than putting an EC with them since the rest of the army are less likely to be able to make use of his leadership bonus.

Another under-rated tactic for knights is to use them as bait. A unit of 5 knights with the banner of duty (10pts) can be effective in this role. If you are careful enough to make it look to your enemy like you have simply misjudged the distance between your unit and his then even 5 knights will be a tempting target for almost any unit in his army. When he charges them make them flee as a charge reaction and then charge his exposed unit with a (already prepared) unit of swordsmen with detachments for flank charges. Then watch as his unit lose out on combat resolution and flee and your knights (ideally kitted out with a musician) rally and return to the fray.

Sorry if this sounds like incoherent jibberish but its late and I'm about to hit the ol' dusty trail!

Cheers,

Dante

Offline lordmetroid

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 01:08:12 PM »
One can not edit post which has been posted in the imperial office...
That feature has been disabled!

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »
its been enabled for a week or so now.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 01:50:52 PM »
Just a note to you folks that want to submit things.  You are going to have to do a little better with your tacticas, spelling, clarity of point, etc.  

I've been reading back over my early ones, and even I'm going back soon for a re-write or two.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline fabbwin

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 03:59:17 PM »
how do you edit things, if and when the function comes back?

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 04:52:35 PM »
there should be a button next to the "quote" button that says "edit"

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 07:40:40 PM »
It's not there Queek....
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Heiglot

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 08:40:28 PM »
Hmmmm, didn't we fix that queek?
A ghost of one of the admins is joking with us??

EDIT: Hey! I can edit here, what's this nonsense?

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 09:23:41 PM »
it should be, I changed the settings some time back, and I checked them this morning.

any registered user should be able to edit and delete their posts in this forum.

Offline Biggs Hancock

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 02:45:05 AM »
It works for me, so I can't see a problem (does saying this help?).

You can of course only edit your own posts.
Biggs Hancock

Do you really believe that in the real army we would ever say "Look out, Sir!"?

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 03:29:43 AM »
thanks, Biggs.

nice to know that I'm not totally off my rocker.   :)

Offline WARRIOR2006

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 07:18:44 PM »
I usually run two units of knights:

7/8 knights lead by a grand master
                       &
  5 knights lead by either captain or warrior priest!

These always seem to get the job done for me!  My 7/8 knights lead by the grand master are like the rock hard hit that levels the enemy lines every time :) most killed on a single charge 36 enemy troops!
A man that fights his own battles, and licks his own wounds, is a man that chooses his own fate, and lives his own doom!

User#364

Offline fabbwin

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 03:03:41 PM »
warrior 2006, do you use infantry, artillery and handguns aswell

Offline Ronnie Soak

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 06:44:11 PM »
Quote from: queek
thanks, Biggs.

nice to know that I'm not totally off my rocker.   :)

Did he say you weren't totally off your rocker? i didnt hear him, lol