home

Author Topic: 3D printing, anyone?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Timbor

• Members
3D printing, anyone?
« on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
So, it has been a while since I hung out around here, and coming back I haven't seen any discussion about 3D printing...

Anybody here been using a 3D printer for wargaming stuff? I just got into it recently, and have a Prusa Mk3S waiting to be assembled in my gaming room. The results for terrain and vehicles I have seen are spectacular!
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: 3D printing, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:02 PM »
WarhammerLord_Soth is the guy  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:35:55 PM »
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:41 AM »
Awesome! Are those from printable scenery?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »
Yes they are, most anyway

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
How does a person get into "printable" terrain?

And what are the costs associated?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
Put simply, you need a 3d printer, the files/digital sculpts, and the printing media/filament. Essentially home printers are the FDM type which use a spool of plastic thread. The plastic is fed through the printer, melted, and then extruded in layers to make the sculpt.

Cost-wise the most popular budget printer is the Ender 3, I think around 300usd. I got a Prusa mk3 kit, and it cost about 750usd. Both can produce similar results but the Ender 3 needs more tinkering and some parts need to be upgraded (it's made in China). The Prusa is better made and much more plug and play (it's made in Europe). Basically, if you aren't super techy, and have a bit more money than time, I'd recommend the Prusa.

Your filament costs $20-30 for 1kg, so it is super cheap. So th could likely give an idea on the filament use for those buildings.

The 3d files can range from free (Thingiverse is a great site) to maybe $10-15 for a big building. Check out printable scenery - their files are some of the best.

If there is something you really want printed, you can always ask me to print it and ship it to you ;)

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »
Jup. Or pick it up at the Eurobash....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, good to know. :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »
Two of the members of my Mordheim group have picked up 3D printers in the last year.   :Ohmy:
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »
I feel it is now accessible to all.

With a 500€ budget, you can start printing. Of course, it won't be at the speed of the bigger machines, but the result will be similar.
The thing you cannot buy however is the know-how and experience you need to keep your printer running, because trust me, every few hundred hours it needs maintenance. Think replacing nozzles, tubes, heating elements, drive gears etc...

So before you buy a printer ask yourself if you have time for an extra hobby, because that is what you will be getting into.

That said, it is way too fun and I don't regret starting with it for a moment ! But after working a couple of years with FDM (2 Makerbot Replicator II's), I feel the itch for resin and proper mini printing.

But for now, I am too distracted by my newest toy : a lasercutter.....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
Are there folks around that can repair such machines?

I'm not one of the most mechanically adept, and would prefer to pay someone to fix such items.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »
Are there folks around that can repair such machines?

I'm not one of the most mechanically adept, and would prefer to pay someone to fix such items.

There are, and you end up paying way to much. My advice if you're not that mechanically adept : Let someone else do your printing.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »
Good to know, thank you Soth. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 12:12:56 AM »
Being able to service/repair is why I went with a Prusa kit... I figure if I build the machine, hopefully I should have more knowhow when it comes to maintenance. Here's hoping!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
Went to a game day this past Saturday.  The folks who put this on have access to a bunch of middle school classroom facilities with all kinds of arts and craft type equipment for use by those who belong to a non-profit group that helps keep the equipment in working condition, shows folks how to use such, and keeps up the maintenance of the "shop" portion of the school. It seems like quite the deal.

Turns out, they have four 3D printers, and I've not ever seen any such item before, but they look like quite the deal.  I'm considering finding time to go see them in use, and maybe learn how to use them, at least on a basic level.

There was also a machine that cuts MDF board with a laser cutter/engraver.  I'd like to see one of those in operation too.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 03:08:01 PM »
I've got one of those laser cutters too.
Great machine, with many possibilities...

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 9th Edition!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
I joined a 3D printing group on FB and MAN THEY can print out anything !! I wonder if this will eventually cause GW to lower prices or give us more bang for the buck?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 10:25:56 PM »
Maybe both?

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 07:08:29 PM »
https://www.patreon.com/highlands_miniatures

This summer I invested in some new Harder and Steenbeck airbrushes, a paint mixer, some quality drybrushes and paints. 

I avoid hobbying in the house in the summer months, the weather is too nice to spend indoors playing with toys so this summer has been filled with lots of camping, motorcycle trips and hiking. When the rains begin to fall I plan on diving deep into warhammer hobbies. I found a local Fantasy 8th edition group who play with some decently adjusted rules, so I'm looking forward to gaming again. 

Goals this Fall and Winter is some adjustments to my Altdorf Army, my Son's Lizardmen Army and Daughter's High Elves.  We're also planning on getting our 40k Armies up to 1000 points.  Black Templars (me), Death Guard (son), Sisters (daughter).  I enjoy harlequins in kill team, but not so excited to make an entire 40k army out of them. 

I have been talking to local players who 3d Print and surfing the internet. 

These guys make sculpts I have been begging GW for decades so it's settled.  I'm researching 3d resin printers and willing to throw up to $1500 for a good printer capable of making quality models. Do I care about playing at the GW store? Not at all,  plus every time I go there, I end up spending at least $100.  ugh.  I always find a paint, a model, a terrain board pack, etc that I throw money at.  I have more than enough official models to bring if I actually want to show up.

https://www.patreon.com/highlands_miniatures

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 07:20:25 PM »
The stuff getting 3d printed these days is phenomenal. Up this way most local libraries have 3d printers that they're desperate for people to use. All material is free, just a limit on how long you can have the printer in use. So nothing to big, but a couple of dudes or bits like shields or shoulder pads are easy.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 11:25:38 PM »
The stuff getting 3d printed these days is phenomenal. Up this way most local libraries have 3d printers that they're desperate for people to use. All material is free, just a limit on how long you can have the printer in use. So nothing to big, but a couple of dudes or bits like shields or shoulder pads are easy.

Oh hell yeah it is  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »

Your libraries have free to use 3D printers!? :icon_eek:

We're lucky if our libraries even stay open let alone have any contents inside!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 12:38:16 PM »
Canada is head of the rest of the world on something. :icon_wink: :engel:

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
3D printing can come up with some glorious minis for our hobby. Its a shame GW is against them, even for just a different head or arm bit.

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog