home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667789 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

More tasty Perry releases. Plus a mention of dismounted MAA on the drawing board.

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/780028/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »
Those look wonderful! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »
Don't forget that really big feather in the GW greatswords box though. That's worth $20 on its own.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Holy crap those are wonderful miniatures. =)

Thank you for the heads up, I will definitely be taking advantage of that deal.

Thought: It would be intresting to do a "Tale of 4 Gamers" thing but have everyone assemble a regiment using alternate miniatures.
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
Thought: It would be intresting to do a "Tale of 4 Gamers" thing but have everyone assemble a regiment using alternate miniatures.

Damned good idea that. That could be the 'kick up the arse' I need to get my Artizan Empire/Araby army underway again.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
How about a "Tale of Four Treachery and Greed Summer Campaign Army Alternate Figure Gamers"

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for getting some new troops on the field for the campaign.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »
If you browse through the B&P, you'll see some of us have already started that.... although not neccesarily with alternate figures.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
http://wargamesfactory.com/_product_16676/Viking_Huscarls

Just been released, with more to come.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
Really nice! Would make for good Men of the Vaults and/or Khrone Maraduers.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Sir Bedevere the Wise

• Members
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »
Not sure if it belongs here, but I was looking for alternative models for Imperial guard and found Empress miniatures.

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart32.htm

Sculpted by Paul Hicks, and I am highly impressed by the amount of detail and realistic proportions of minis.
Not very useful for Empire, but my dreams about Mordian or Praetorian IG might live once more.

Regards,

Bedevere
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:49:02 AM by Sir Bedevere the Wise »
It took God six days to create the Earth, and Monty Python just 90 minutes to screw it up.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
Does anyone else think that the WotR plastics would do well with 6th ed swordsmen arms on them?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
I was going to check that, but I couldn't find any swordsmen arms. I think it would look a bit weird even if it did work though.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
Not sure if it belongs here, but I was looking for alternative models for Imperial guard and found Empress miniatures.

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart32.htm

Sculpted by Paul Hicks, and I am highly impressed by the amount of detail and realistic proportions of minis.
Not very useful for Empire, but my dreams about Mordian or Praetorian IG might live once more.

Regards,

Bedevere

Hicksy's a mate of mine, he's been doing awesome work for years now, he's one opf the kingpin sculptors of historical material in 28mm.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
http://wargamesfactory.com/_product_16676/Viking_Huscarls

Just been released, with more to come.

Incredible value, worth having a look at the Gripping Beast plastic Vikings as well.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »
I don't know if somebody mentioned it, but there's a company named Heresy miniatures :

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/index.htm
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:17 AM »
Midaski, could you please post a picture of your Perry wotr miniatures with 6th ed GW arms mentioned some pages ago?

8th edition rumours sound like i will have to stock up on infantry and i can't take myself to buy the 7th ed state troops. The Perry range looks great (and cheap!) but i won't need that many archers...
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »
Midaski, could you please post a picture of your Perry wotr miniatures with 6th ed GW arms mentioned some pages ago?

Not sure if I misled you, I mentioned it on page 5. I had cut off bits and bodies from the various sprues, but I haven't actually done much more than hold bits against each other with the Perry plastics yet.
As rufus and Finlay have said the Perry minis seem to be a bit taller and thinner. GW plastics tend to be a bit chunkier.

I am waiting for the second Perry set due later in the year, where they have command models and other weapons - I think Justnorth gave an early link to the 'greens' a few pages back in this thread.

I have been playing around more with the Warlord Pike & Shotte plastics as pictured in the Cheaper A:lternatives thread in the EF and the Miniatures Comparison sticky in the B&P.
The Warlord models have baggier clothing and so look chunkier, and go quite well with GW Ed.6 Soldiers arms I think.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
Hm, i thought that the warlord miniatures were a bit short compared to GW, but a look at the miniature comparison thread told me that they are indeed better than the wotr miniatures, size-wise.
But it loks like they are harder to paint...
Also, what is the difference between royalist and parliamental Minis? The sprue shown on the warlords site is the same in both cases.
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
In all honesty...nothing...

Later war there were some differences in clothing (especially with the introduction of the NMA), but early war they were indistinguishable. In Warlord Games terms...the two boxes come with different flags and info sheets, and cover art. Thats it.

If you are building a new army they are great value, heck even their metal figures are still cheaper than GW plasics! I totally reccomend their ECW cav for Empire Pistoleers.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
Oo, those Perry mounted lance men at arms are nice! Any word on the Perry pikemen and crossbowmen with pavaise?

I'd have loved some pavaise crossbowmen for EB, I only have 6 of the BRaganzas besiegers though :(

Pass the machete.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »
Mirliton sell pavises separately.

A bit late though...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
I still have almost an entire army to paint.
But I think I have settled on my list.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
Also, what is the difference between royalist and parliamental Minis? The sprue shown on the warlords site is the same in both cases.

It is the same sprue as has been said with different box and leaflet /flags.

The other main point is the hats.
The bodies have the head on with long hair, but a sort of domed hairless head ( I know the feeling  :engel: ) and there are loads of different hats, so you have enough to make them look Parliamentarian or Cavalier.
There are a couple of morions also as I have used in my pics.

I suspect some of the other 'boxes' also have the same sprues and include 'bonnets' so they can be the Scots Covenantors.
They also sell metal hats on sprues of 4 and you can get 10 sprues for £3.00, so I have bought around 120 morions so I can give all mine a conquistador / estalian feel.
Indeed I plan to make up several units - painted in different colours which I can use altogether as a Estalian merc style army or split up to play ECW or 30 Years War historical rules sets.

With the Perry plastic figures having a slightly earlier period look, I want to try combining them with my older Bretonnian infantry which I think should achieve a more unified look.
Again one large army which could be Empire and then split for Medieval historical rules.

I have a fair few Foundry metal Norse/Vikings/Saxons which I hope to mix up with the Gripping Beast plastic Hirdmen, and possibly the Wargames Factory Vikings.

Flexibility from your minis - that's what we want

So far I've managed to avoid the Romans/Celts/Gauls era, with just one box of Warlord Celts infantry - which I reckon I can mix in withthe Vikings

:icon_rolleyes:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
I'd have loved some pavaise crossbowmen for EB, I only have 6 of the BRaganzas besiegers though :(

I'm in the same situation. Which is why I've done a Besieger's/pavise modeling article for the summer campaign...   :biggriin:

Edit: It's in the second newsletter: http://www.vanlijsebetten.be/peter/Issue2.pdf

The pavises were pretty quick/easy to make. I'm not certain of a good source for crossbowmen with heavy armour. The few I've got from Zvezda's now out of production(?) set are probably going to fit that role for me, but I'm not certain about other options. Maybe Empire militia with old armoured upper torsos, helmets, etc?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:58:14 PM by ZeroTwentythree »