home

Author Topic: Warhammer II (Total War)  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Warhammer II (Total War)
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:16:29 AM »
https://youtu.be/fXxe897bW-A (cinematic trailer)

https://youtu.be/h6-pxDdStpE ( more information)

Looks good  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
Re: Warhammer II (Total War)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Looking amazing, a big thank you to CA for giving this project their A-game. :icon_wink:

Also, funny April fools video. :icon_lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5DY1xh0j4
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
OK, that was good haha   :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
I liked Total Warhammer, bought all their expansions  but I do have to ask as a game developer myself,  what is Creative Assembly offering in their 2nd major iteration?  All I have read is more armies, more terrains, and a larger mega campaign mode.  All of which is a lot of work and manhours from their art and design team, but what new functionalities?   Lets be honest here,  Total Warhammer 2 is just added DLC style combat and some adjustments on their campaign system.  There are no new gameplay functionality or technical gameplay improvements to justify calling this annual DLC release a 2nd iteration. 

I don't like where this is going, but I'd speculate they're making one last gasp at milking this franchise for every drop they can get out of it.  I'm expecting half the sales they got from the first release knowing sales fell off dramatically over their uninspired DLC season.  They even did a discounted price of Total War recently on Steam.  =/

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »
I liked Total Warhammer, bought all their expansions  but I do have to ask as a game developer myself,  what is Creative Assembly offering in their 2nd major iteration?  All I have read is more armies, more terrains, and a larger mega campaign mode.  All of which is a lot of work and manhours from their art and design team, but what new functionalities?   Lets be honest here,  Total Warhammer 2 is just added DLC style combat and some adjustments on their campaign system.  There are no new gameplay functionality or technical gameplay improvements to justify calling this annual DLC release a 2nd iteration. 

I don't like where this is going, but I'd speculate they're making one last gasp at milking this franchise for every drop they can get out of it.  I'm expecting half the sales they got from the first release knowing sales fell off dramatically over their uninspired DLC season.  They even did a discounted price of Total War recently on Steam.  =/

Well it is not like they haven't done this before in that Napoleon should have simply been a DLC for Empire, but as Empire was so bad it was turned into a marginally better stand alone. Honestly I don't know where they are going with this because how can you get a full title out of three races, yes people talk about the Skaven but this will absolutely require a vast reworking of the main map to introduce to be anyway worth while (oddly this makes me fear them plopping some Pestilens in Lustria and saying screw it to adding all the spots they would need to on the old world map to make it work).

You would really think that with the sort of distances required to travel they would need to add naval battles to it but that certainly wouldn't work what with the Man o' War game out there.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »
This might be a bit better in the other Total Warhammer thread but I figured I'd ask here. I got the game from the humble bundle and I like it, sinking a good number of hours into it, but generally not blown away. I got a little annoyed that as the dwarves I couldn't confederate Belegar's faction without the DLC.

That said, still like the game. I've been looking at the DLC. What are peoples thoughts on them so far? Do people have a favorite one, do they add a lot to the game, which is the best?

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »

Sounded like they are introducing combined map mechanics. But it is a total war game, they are all just rehashes of the game they made 15 years ago, lol.

I do not mind that they are milking the franchise because they have been upfront about it. ...they did try sneaky 'pre-order and you get warriors of chaos'. To which i posted "Do not pre-order!!!! Make them release a quality game instead of trying to get pre-orders and then cutting production time and releasing shitty buggy games". Many people +1 that post on the various sites i put it on.

Their DLC looked ok. They did try the industry tactics of releasing crap dlc like blood for the blood god. But they quickly shapped up and added brets, beastmen, wood elves.
And their minor DLC of just doing characters with a Questline....well if its cheap enough ok.

I think their DLC is doing pretty good at breathing new life into the game.

And those with money buy right away, the rest of us wait and buy a bundle. I like the way the gaming industry has finally worked out. I was pretty pissed at the buggy games on release, so now I always wait, look at reviews, get the game on sale and play a polished, full game. ...it also means that by the time i upgrade my computer to play these games, my PC can play them well instead of just skirting around the requirements.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
The trailer looks incredible and I love it, but Grutch is right - it's a huge DLC with mini-DLC's coming up later. Not that it's a bad thing, but I can understand why some people would be pissed at this kind of marketing strategy. Also there will be one more "part", probably detailing the Ogre Kingdoms, Nehekhara and... Chaos Dwarves? It's cool that when you get all three parts, you'll be able to play on the whole map, with every, single army. Nice touch. However they should work on the internal balance, buff up magic and generally add a few tweaks, here and there.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
Indeed, the community wants that as well. The "mods will fix it" can only go so far when you're paying for every release.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/193652/letter-to-ca-from-the-community
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
Quote from: Xathrodox86
Also there will be one more "part", probably detailing the Ogre Kingdoms, Nehekhara and... Chaos Dwarves?

Don't forget about Demons. They're still not out and every part seems to have 4 playable races base. Also FISHMEN!

As for me, I think the game is great and they've really managed to catch the 'spirit of warhammer' quite well. The goblin voices and lines get me everytime I hear them. Nice to see the more goofy and fun side of warhammer again. Can't wait for the expansion!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
Quote from: Xathrodox86
Also there will be one more "part", probably detailing the Ogre Kingdoms, Nehekhara and... Chaos Dwarves?

Don't forget about Demons. They're still not out and every part seems to have 4 playable races base. Also FISHMEN!

As for me, I think the game is great and they've really managed to catch the 'spirit of warhammer' quite well. The goblin voices and lines get me everytime I hear them. Nice to see the more goofy and fun side of warhammer again. Can't wait for the expansion!

Oh yeah, right - Daemons should definetly be included in TW: Warhammer. So far we only have the Lord of Change, which is a bit of a shame.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 09:54:19 AM »
Then perhaps Dogs of War as the 4th faction? Huge potential in making units. Although I personally see them more as DLC material.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »
They could make Araby based on Warmaster models...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 04:25:10 AM »
My understanding is the Bretonnian crusader states have taken the role of Araby, and CA is worried that if they make an Araby faction that there will be backlash.

Looks like TW3 is on the horizon with Daemons, Ogre kingdoms, and perhaps chaos dwarfs. They'll also be adding Middenhiem as a new playable subfaction for the Empire. I think the campaign for it is probably going to be Storm of Chaos/End Times. There are fans holding out hope for an Araby, Cathay, and Amazon faction inclusion. There are some Steam mods that creates a nice Amazon faction for TW2 and the units look dope.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
Araby based on warmaster isn’t too much of a stretch.
Cathay and Amazons are pipe dreams.

Dogs of War / regiments of renown would be great too...?
A proper Kislev faction would be nice?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:43 AM »
Regiments of Renown are a mechanic in the game. If you get your lord up to certain levels they unlock RoR to use depending on the level. They are usually tailored to the army you are playing though (so Empire RoR choices are suped up Empire units with unique abilities and maxed out experience).

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Regiments_of_Renown

Also after the Empire Faction rework, if you conquer/confederate different Elector states and put in an Elector Count, you can hire region specific units like The Knights of Moor if you control Sylvania and Carroburg Greatswords if you own Reikland, along with buffs and a special runefang for each province.

I could see them do a DoW army that acts like a horde faction but I wouldn't count on it. They usually add factions based around a Legendary Lord to lead them (So Karl Franz, Volkmar the Grim, Balthasar Gelt, and Markus Wulfhart for Empire, Louen Leoncour, Faye Enchanctess, Repanse, and Alberic for Bretonnia, etc) with special unique abilities/strategies and the Empire is probably going to get new ones based around the Storm of Chaos/End Times like Valten, Boris Todbringer and Luthor Huss. Markus Wulfhart is close to a DoW army I suppose considering he's in Lustria as an Empire like conquistador army.

There is a good deal of speculation that Kislev will get to be a playable faction in 3. And with GW revisiting WHFB and potentially making a legit army for them, I could see CA making that possible.

I agree that having Araby in the game would be awesome but I've heard that CA is worried about coming off as racist for doing it. Here's an article where CA said that currently there's no plan for it.
https://www.pcinvasion.com/creative-assembly-confirms-araby-wont-be-coming-to-total-war-warhammer/

I also think Amazons are a pipe dream and is more likely going to be the work of mods. Same with DoW horde army. But then again the same was said about Norsca and Vampire Coast armies and yet they're in the game as fully playable factions with their own lords, units, and game mechanics. So who knows! They may get added later.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 10:56:23 AM »
It can't be real warhammer unless they introduce pygmies.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 11:41:20 AM »
How is an Araby army racist is slightly beyond me. I am looking at the warmaster army list right now and trying to figure it out:

Elephants? People riding camels? It's all just historic references with some goofy lore thrown in (flying carpets I am looking at you). A pretty standard mix for any warhammer army really.

I hope CA goes with it!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:48:01 AM by The Black Knight »

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
It can't be real warhammer unless they introduce pygmies.

Yeah that argument fuels the idea CA is anti Araby.

@The Black Knight:
Those look amazing! Again, I hope they add them at some point, and knowing CA if they think it will make them money they'll throw in the kitchen sink as DLC. Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast were not in the launch of Warhammer Total War 2 but came later as DLC. So there's hope.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »
CA = California :icon_question:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »

CA is the game development company.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
Ah! Ok, thanks, and Warlord ... did you see my pm? :icon_cool:

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 02:45:23 PM »

Creative Assembly  :icon_mrgreen:. Though California could lobby for the Araby faction too, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt :-D.

@Feanor

I was completely surprised by the Vampire Coast addition! They went with the rule of cool and it really paid off.

But I am really hodling my thumbs for Dogs of War. I think there is a huge potential here in making a very unique and striking army, if they figure out a way to represent them (the horde mechanic is a good call).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:52:20 PM by The Black Knight »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 03:14:19 AM »
Ah! Ok, thanks, and Warlord ... did you see my pm? :icon_cool:

I did. Sorry I thought I responded. Some discussion in the Admin board about solutions at the moment. I will send you something in a bit.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 03:28:28 AM »
No rush.