home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 301169 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Zogmar distraction)
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
Old skool stuff! Bright green trolls!! Skarloc's Wood Elves!!! Loving it  :eusa_clap:

I collected a huge pile of those Wood Elves once, I wonder if I still have them...?

<digs in cupboard>

Yes I do, not as many as I thought, maybe 30 ish (though I do have two Skarlocs!)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
Sounds identical to my small collection. I have a few more unpainted, so total of like 32 +/- archers, including a duplicate of Scarloc. I think there are about 16 wardancers (10 painted) and the old chariot, which I've wanted to paint for a few decades, but never really had a reason to. Maybe I will add that to the to-do list. But my goal with this side project is really to find small forces for gaming without taking painting time (or maybe just minimal?) away from the Marienburg & Undeadish. Reeeeeaalyyy trying to stay on track with the one project at a time. But like most wargamers, that can be difficult.  :-D

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:52 AM »
Wow. Delving deeper into the boxes in the attic...

Thumpers!

Anyone else remember these? I believe they are Tom Meier goblins/orcs re-touched & cast with a new rabbit look. I've got around 40 of them in various states of repair and painting. I had built enough to use with Hordes of the Things and then stopped.

I wonder if I can rebase & find a use for these. :)

There were a few other things in the box/HotT army, like some Fortress Figures "Hareballs." I will get to those later.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2015, 05:45:48 AM »
Were those made by GW?  I pulled out some older stuff yesterday, 5 GW halflings, 7 GW Goblins, 2 GW Wolves, and 2 GW Ogres.I had previously primed the goblins, wolves and ogres, but primed 3 of the halflings for painting, and hope to trade off, or maybe even sell two of the halflings because they are duplicates, and I'd like to try obtaining some of the other older halflings.  I like seeing your items. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
Nope, old Ral Partha figures.

Doing a little research, from what I read, they only appeared in this 1995 catalog (link below.) Thumpers are on pages 13 & 14. The orcs they're based on are on page 12.

http://www.dndlead.com/Catalogs/RalPartha1995.pdf

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
Don't recall seeing a catalogue like that, but I recall a decent number fo those figures being sold in hobby stores in those days.  One of my giants is the "Hill Giant" on page 2, and the other one is the "Barbarian Giant" on page 18.  Lot's of good things, but it is the first time I am seeing the "Brigand's Treasure Caravan" on page 4, and that would be quite the cool thing to own.  Thanks for posting the link! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Makes me want to go out looking for Ral Partha miniatures. They are quite nice.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2015, 04:59:44 AM »
I've made some decisions.

I've decided to go with the heater shields on the Nightmare Legion. I filled & sanded the small holes on the face of them, and glued them to the figures. So here they are -- ready for some primer! I would like to put them on 40x40 bases like everything else in this project. Seems a bit heretical. I'll end having to trim the slotta tabs too.

Another decision I made was to go back to the Warhammer setting for my (eventual...) narrative campaign. I'm still going to mix it up a bit. I think I will turn the clock back a bit from the early 26th century of the recent official stuff, to somewhere in the neighborhood of the mid 25th century. I may also deny that the Empire was reunited by that point. I will be scribbling out drafts for my own map, and jotting down notes specific to a local campaign plot & local setting. It will probably be in the western Wasteland (Merienburg's hinterland) between the mountains & border with Bretonnia and the city of Marienburg itself. That gives me mountains, plains, swamps, small villages, minor fortifications, trade routes, a mining town, etc.

So I guess this will be closer to Oldhammering it, after all!

Making these decisions will help steer me back on course, after starting to get sidetracked. If you're reading this, chances are you are a painter and/or gamer -- you know how it is, right? I'm still going to work in the other old figures I've dug out, and maybe try to work out some solo skirmish gaming. But I'm going to resist the urge to put painting, modeling, etc. work into those distractions. Even though I will be modifying it, since I will be sticking with an established setting, I will also minimize that distraction as well.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
Having the structure of the Warhammer Olde World can be a good thing.  It helps provide a foundation for creativity, and allows a person to focus time and energy on the details and story development.  Going back in the timeline also seems to be beneficial because it is there already, and if a person's imagination starts from the current, whatever storyline that is moved forward by GW, a person's own track seems less likely to be disturbed by whatever direction GW decides to pursue.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
After browsing this, I almost went and knee-jerk started wood elves (classic models obviously) Always the danger is dabbling with non-empire posts. Brilliant work!
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »
After browsing this, I almost went and knee-jerk started wood elves (classic models obviously) Always the danger is dabbling with non-empire posts. Brilliant work!

Thanks!

I intend to get back to painting Empire very soon. I would like to finish at least the Nightmare Legion, a unit of skeletal Cavalry, and possibly one or two more leaders/characters before heading back to the land of the living, though.

So I primed the Nightmare Legion and.... disaster. The dreaded "fuzzy" primer. It's not too bad but still noticeable even after I took a stiff brush to some of the figures to paint up as a test. I painted up a few, and thought they looked OK. You can't tell too much in the photos, or on the gaming table, but I can see the texture in places when I pick the figures up and look closely. Now that I've been contemplating it for another day or so, I'm considering the dreaded task of stripping the remaining figures and re-priming. Here are the test subjects:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Nightmare Legion test)
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
Well they do look lovely from this distance (the other side of the Atlantic! :evil:) but if you're not going to be happy with them, perhaps you should restrip and go again. Mind you, I put up with the same thing on most of my skeletons, but I just daub the paint on thicker! :icon_rolleyes:

The heater shields are a triumph, no doubt about that at least. :eusa_clap:

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #262 on: July 28, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »
They look swell, shame about the primer (not that you'd even notice!) but it's something that would annoy me too, I think. I once lost £250 worth of Eldar in one 2min spray session.

I think the shield highlighting is very nice, hard to highlight a straight black like that on a flat surface  :::cheers:::
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
I ended up stripping the remainder of the fuzzy primer (but unpainted) figures, reprimed them, and just glued them on their temporary painting bases.

I also started going through other figures in various stages of stripping & re-painting.

To the left is the old Citadel jabberwock, which was the "mystery figure" in the jar in a previous photo. I've had a chance to put a little bit of paint on him the last few weeks, but not much progress. Behind that is the Ral Partha jabberwock, which was too big for the jar since it was cast as a single piece. (I will strip that one when I find a larger jar.) Next to that is a Grenadier "dragon-fly" that just had it's paint removed as well. And on the right is a figure that I think was from either Leviathan or Celtos or Chronopia or one of the other games around that time. He will be remain painted, but I included him in the pic because I dug out a second figure that has the same mount, but different rider. I will be leaving the rider off and using that one as just as a beast.

I'm not sure how soon these will be painted. Now that the Nightmare Legion is ready for paint again, I will be back at those.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
Wow, love those old Jabberwocks, and the Grenadier Pond Dragon is an old favourite of mine. Not at all familiar with Chronopia miniatures, but that looks creepy!

For paint stripper, I'm a big fan of large pickle jars - but then I'm a big fan of large pickles, too!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2015, 02:52:09 AM »
Really like that old citadel jabber. How big is it? Roughly ogre size or a bit smaller? There's something about it's face that just fits so well.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
Wow, love those old Jabberwocks, and the Grenadier Pond Dragon is an old favourite of mine. Not at all familiar with Chronopia miniatures, but that looks creepy!

I figure it goes with the wasteland, marshy environment. Same with the little dragon. I know the literary Jabberwock was in a tulgey wood, but I figure it's not a stretch to imagine a monstrosity like that burbling through The Wasteland.

For paint stripper, I'm a big fan of large pickle jars - but then I'm a big fan of large pickles, too!

I'm going to refrain from several jokes waiting to be made...  :engel:

I've been using a baby food jar for all the smaller pieces, but just picked up a low, wide jar on the cheap from the craft store and the second Jabber is currently bathing.

Really like that old citadel jabber. How big is it? Roughly ogre size or a bit smaller? There's something about it's face that just fits so well.

Smaller than the current ogres. Maybe closer to the oldschool metal ones, though the Jabber is hunched over quite a bit. He's on a 40mm base, if that gives a sense of scale.

I've also been eyeing this...

...which is considerably larger. Here's an example of that one painted, for comparison: http://28mmvictorianwarfare.blogspot.com/2015/01/beware-jabberwock-my-son.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »
Random update. Brought a smile to my face when I went looking for maps at Gitzmans Gallery and saw two of my campaign maps there. Think I might have to send him the others too.  :biggriin:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Trays of Marienburgers)
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »
Rather than rebase the Marienburgers that are already painted, I've decided to just make some simple trays for them. Here are the first two prototypes, loaded full of sword & buckler men.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2015, 12:22:33 AM »
 :eusa_clap: Love them!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
man those look good  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »
There is definitely good in keeping the figures based inividually and creating movement trays for whatever other games might be played over time.

It's also good to see those Marienburgers again. :icon_cool:

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
I don't know how much of your old army you kept, but I am happy to see these Marienburgers featured.

:::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2015, 11:25:42 PM »
Thanks. The only things I got rid of were the painted historical figures and some unpainted DoW.

My plan (inasmuch as I am able to follow plans...) is to finish up the Nightmare Legion and maybe some black knights, then take a break from the undead for a bit and paint some Marienburgers for a while.

Unfortunately not much time for painting recently.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Variety Update)
« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Time has been tight lately, so the things I've been working on are those which I can spend 5-10 minutes on, then step away for a few hours or days, then come back and work on for another 5-10 minutes.

I finally finished a commission that I've been slowly working on for a few months.

I also started on some terrain a week or two ago. Finally finished today, with the addition of the grass flock. Inspired to get back to the Marienburg/Wasteland theme a bit.

I would really like to do some larger terrain, but can't manage to get the hour or so I need during daylight to go outside and make a mess with a saw, file, and sander outside to make the hardboard bases. Plans include larger marsh/swamps, river & road sections, and a tumulus.

And lastly, more progress on making a few new movement trays at a time.

I am starting to regret not putting a metal or magnet-receptive material on the trays as I did with the older WFB sized trays. The standard bearers like to tip over a bit too much.