home

Author Topic: My stuff. What so I figure someone has to paint terribly  (Read 11038 times)

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
My stuff. What so I figure someone has to paint terribly
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »
Quote from: CountRommel
I'd rather have a crappy painted army than an unpainted army or cardboard tokens.  I played magic for a bunch of years and warhammer is much more fun.  So my stuff may suck but I rather it suck than worship the gods Pewtar, Primar and Plastique the three forgotten gods of chaos.

Amen!

I gave up  on Magic because they kept coming out with new decks faster then I could keep up.  On the bright side, my collection of Magic cards financed the vast bulk of my Empire army plus lizards for my son (my next painting assignment).

May the gods of acrylic, ink and dry brushing bless CountRommel in his future endeavors
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

CountRommel

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 03:24:35 AM »
Thank you and may your army kill as many heathens heretics and mutants as long as they arn't my heathens.

Offline Lexy

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
I'd even play with skaven models proxying empire then cardboard cuttings (I know, but I've started as O&G player )

About the inking: I always drybrush over the inking, so the models don't glosh so much.
That is: if I use inking, because highlighting over a darker color is nicer and easier to me.

CountRommel, I've been looking at your mini's and I think the biggest problem is the color combinations.
They seem to show the model more messy then it is.
But maybe it's just my opinion ( I'm not a golden daemon winner you know)
And Then There Was Lexy

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 03:46:13 AM »
One additional constructive observation not yet made in this thread: Brushes!  Painting is a joy with quality brushes.  A recent thread with good information:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10879&highlight=brushes
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

CountRommel

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 05:56:42 AM »
Well I use tiny gw brushes but I recently got these new brushes which are good which I am trying out on the wood elves.

Offline Ulrics_drunken_cousin

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »
I think if you thinned your paint a little and took off the mould lines youd be in bizniz!

And dont diss your own painting, because even if someone is a painting god, if all they're using is primed mini's it dont matter squat.
"I shall beat you with the might of the Empire!"

"...empire and might should never be in the same sentence"

CountRommel

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 07:14:25 PM »
Every time I try to thin the paint I think I use to much water.  Sometimes I use just enough.  I find with the elves I am starting to use just enough.  But than again it's easier to spend more time on the elves than the empire because Elf armies are like 3 models and empire is halfway to Orc and Goblin size.

Offline unheilig

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 10:35:02 PM »
you certainly show a lack of any sort of technique or learned skill... (now hold on folks, don't hate me yet, i'm gonna take you straight into Mordor than right back to the Shire, so hold tight).

but what you exhibit is the patience and desire to field a full army you painted yourself. so rock on. everything else can be learned. if you are happy with your stuff, right on. but if you desire to improve, let me tell you that you can. easily. its just very hard to learn ANYTHING about painting from reading about it. find someone around whose work you admire, and offer to buy them some beer or pizza for the chance to get to watch them paint and bother them with some questions.

and take heart, because even though your stuff may not win you any golden demons... its PAINTED. by YOU. and that puts you ahead of a significant number of other warhammer players.
"History has shown there are no invincible armies"

Offline Mystic Force

• Members
  • Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 02:55:48 AM »
What we need is a tournament for only people who suck at painting.  I know that my painting isnt the best and after 12 years i have finally done some things i at least feel happy about.  The painting guides really help

Becasue i sucked i never would go to a GW store with my stuff, mainly out of fear of being laughed at.  2 years ago i did go with my blood bowl team as you can spend a lot longer on it when you only have 12-16 minatures to paint, but i was still a little nervous.  

no one said anything, they were mainly laughing at my friends dwarf team that he did with a beach theme and dressed in pink (complete with bleached blonde hair and green stuff beach ball)

so how about about a tournament with a maximum standard of painting.  It might be nice to see people turn up who wouldnt otherwise.

For what its worth heres my latest effort

Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Kith_0

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 05:08:51 AM »
These look really good and I would not be ashamed in bringing them to a tournament.

Confidence is key.  A lot of times when I go people I play against will give me some simple tips to better my painting.

Offline jedimaster

• Members
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2006, 08:59:12 AM »
your painting is good for table op gaming.

the only one i really don't like is the elector count on horse.

the infantrie comes out very good but you should repaint the standard which comes out a little flashy ( do you use a white undercoat ?)

but again your army is good painted as it is and most of the gamers don't hae this level of painting for their minis.
I apologise for my poor english

Offline duckman

• Members
  • Painting Slacker!!
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 11:41:57 PM »
Hey Count Rommel,
I don't think your minis suck, as many others have stated, I've seen lots worse. in my games room I have a Space Marine I painted many years ago. It is done in mainly sky blue enamel :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  and some orange for trim and is one of the ugliest things I ever saw. I keep it around to remind myself of this fact: if you don't paint, you don't improve. At some time in the future you will look at your current painting and think something like, "well, my painting is a lot better now". So take heart, things will only get better....trust me on this one :-D

Couple of points that may hopefully be of use to you:

Absolutely you need to start thinning your paint. I never used to do this, once I started it amazed me what a difference it made. Less is always more here. If you have to, use 2 thin coats (or more) to get a good coverage, most important when working with reds and yellows.

Quote from: CountRommel
Every time I try to thin the paint I think I use to much water.  Sometimes I use just enough.

A good trick I have found is to use a little eye drop bottle or something like that, as it allows you to measure the amount of water you are using accurately. I have some small oil dropper bottles that I get from work, the great thing about these is that the drops of water are roughly the same as a drop of paint from a Vallejo or Derivan bottle, so mix ratios are constant....much easier.
Inking is, as has been said, very easy to do and gives you instant shading, however I find GW inks are a bit annoying to use straight out of the pot, so I mix into them a tiny bit of water with some surface tension breaker added to it. This allows the ink to flow much better, and as the surface tension is drastically reduced, the ink settles in the detail and not on it. Happy side effect is less glossing of your minis. Use proper surface tension breaker from an art supply store, it is available in a type specifically made for acrylics, and works a lot better than things like floor polish.
Good brushes are a must, golden rule= don't overload with paint!! This will help you control where the paint goes, and has the added benefit of helping brushes last longer as the ferrules don't clog up with old paint, which will affect other colours. I use a size 2 for everything other than eyes and freehand designs. GW brushes aren't much good, for the price there are many better types available. For painting regiments and such I use Franchville taklon brushes, about 4 bucks Aust, once they're stuffed I use them as drybrushes. You should be able to find a well-priced quality brush without too much trouble.
Clean off mould lines/flash on bits prior to assembly, and wash them in warm water with a little detergent, rinse in clear warm water. Then prime.
And once you're done painting them, hit the minis with a coat of Testor's Dull Cote, this will eliminate any unsightly glossiness and will protect your minis from handling damage for ages.
Base the minis!! I cannot overstate the impact this will have on the overall look of them. I base after I paint, that's me, others do it before. Either glue sand or whatever you like on the base then prime, or as I do, after the minis are painted(and I only do it this way because it annoys me when I'm painting and sand is coming off the base :evil: ). Once the glue is dry, I paint over the sand with a mix of 2 parts dark brown paint, 1 of PVA glue (white glue/craft glue), 1 part brown ink and 2 parts water. Let dry, normally I leave them overnight. Drybrush with Bestial Brown/mid brown, 2nd drybrush (very light) either Bleached Bone/equivalent or sand colour. Paint on each base a couple of small spots of PVA (NOT with your painting brush) and dip in tub of static grass, blow off excess and you're done!! After you paint the edge of the bases that is. Try GW Snot Green as a good alternative to Goblin Green.

Have fun, hope this helps, sorry for being long-winded. Remember, at least you have painted your army, most of my minis were painted by a friend of mine who does it for a living, I do not have the time, but I also don't have the sense of pride and accomplishment in having an army painted by me (well, Chaos shouldn't be mentioned here, although they do look cool :twisted:  :twisted: )

Cheers to you all
duckman

EDIT: If you want a couple of dropper bottles, send me an address and I will post a couple to you.
The King of Painting Slackness Land. Bow down before my awesome lack of effort!!!!