home

Author Topic: Outriders and Veteran Outriders.  (Read 8671 times)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
Outriders and Veteran Outriders.
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
Outriders are special choice and a damn fine one at that. A noble ideal for human soldiers to aspire to, their expertise with technology makes them quite a valuable force. Here are some options to power them up. :P

Special Choice: Keep as is, but make them leadership 8 to represent their increased experience in combat. The Outrider Champion is still Leadership 8. The squad may take Heavy Armor at +2 pts a model, and Barding at +2 pts a model. If either upgrade is taken, the unit ceases to be fast cavalry. For an additional 5 points, the outrider champion may take a brace of repeating pistols.

Rare Choice: For +9 points a model, the entire squad may be upgraded to Veteran Outriders. At BS 5, they still carry repeating handguns, but for free, any of them may swap them out for grenade-launching blunderbusses. For an additional 5 points per model, the squad may all take a brace of repeating pistols. (35 pts a model for uber-pistoliers in essence). The squad in addition to all normal upgrades may carry banner for +7 points, which may be upgraded to a Magic Banner of up to 50 points.

Grenade Launching Blunderbuss: New rules. This weapon is a guess-range item of up to 18 inches in length. Roll a scatter die and a d6. On a roll of 1, the outrider takes a wound and must take a saving throw at -1. Shots from the blunderbuss are resolved at S3 armor-piercing, with the small blast radius. When a unit has multiple blunderbusses in a unit, guess with the first blunderbuss and roll for scatter. Then for each subsequent blast, roll a scatter die, and move another small blast marker adjacent to the appropriate area near that blast marker (in essence, this is the 40k barrage rule).

Offline blazing-sun

• Members
Re: Outriders and Veteran Outriders.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »
Sorry that makes them too good. You could get a unit of ten and literally have a unit disapear from 10 grenade launchers. Also a unit of ten would put out 60 shots from the brace of repeaters, a little to much damage, also hitting 3's... I think outriders and pistoliers our one of our best units and if they need changing at all it is +1 ld for outriders or something small like that.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17:43 AM »
Outriders as is should be ditched as the game breaking, fluffless pile of kak they are <gollum>we hates them</gollum>

Whoever gave them repeating handguns needs taking out back and given a good kicking. Ordinary handguns would have been fine, but nooooooo that wasnt good enough for Timmy.rarg rarg rarg rarg
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »
Outriders? Gamebreaking? Between repeater bolt throwers, flamers of tzeentch, repeater crossbowmen...A 21-wound fast cav model which has to stay still is far from gamebreaking...If you can't beat them (say either by hanging back and sniping them with magic or rushing them with more big targets than they can possibly nail...) then you have no right to complain...

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »
Its not a question of beating them, they just plain out cheeze up the place.

They suck and should die.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 05:44:17 AM »
I missed my old skirmishing horse archers :cry:

Unless somehow outriders got skirmish muwhahaha :wink:
Odo drops the bombs and laughs at all the clucking.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »
Outriders are special choice and a damn fine one at that. A noble ideal for human soldiers to aspire to, their expertise with technology makes them quite a valuable force. Here are some options to power them up. :P

Special Choice: Keep as is, but make them leadership 8 to represent their increased experience in combat. The Outrider Champion is still Leadership 8. The squad may take Heavy Armor at +2 pts a model, and Barding at +2 pts a model. If either upgrade is taken, the unit ceases to be fast cavalry. For an additional 5 points, the outrider champion may take a brace of repeating pistols.

Rare Choice: For +9 points a model, the entire squad may be upgraded to Veteran Outriders. At BS 5, they still carry repeating handguns, but for free, any of them may swap them out for grenade-launching blunderbusses. For an additional 5 points per model, the squad may all take a brace of repeating pistols. (35 pts a model for uber-pistoliers in essence). The squad in addition to all normal upgrades may carry banner for +7 points, which may be upgraded to a Magic Banner of up to 50 points.

Grenade Launching Blunderbuss: New rules. This weapon is a guess-range item of up to 18 inches in length. Roll a scatter die and a d6. On a roll of 1, the outrider takes a wound and must take a saving throw at -1. Shots from the blunderbuss are resolved at S3 armor-piercing, with the small blast radius. When a unit has multiple blunderbusses in a unit, guess with the first blunderbuss and roll for scatter. Then for each subsequent blast, roll a scatter die, and move another small blast marker adjacent to the appropriate area near that blast marker (in essence, this is the 40k barrage rule).

All this is to complicated for a unit that is already pretty good.  Make the Grenade Launching Blunderbuss Strength 7 and Armor Piercing and we are good to go with the current version.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

What were their rules in 5th edition?  I don't remember as I've never used any.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:15 PM »
If I recall correctly, 5th ed had it so they essentially had sustained assault for their handguns. Each hit let them roll again to hit...

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:52:20 PM »
If I recall correctly, 5th ed had it so they essentially had sustained assault for their handguns. Each hit let them roll again to hit...

Correct, it was complicated and slow as hell.  The current version is much better, the only thing that possibly needs changing is improving the Grenade Launching Blunderbuss.

Offline Florian Geyer

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »

Up to a maximum of 6 shots. Which should be a 1.5625 % chance of fireing all shots.

Any number could also exchange their RHGs for repeating pistols.
Tights and puffs are for real men, only pansys and women wear skirts and dresses.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »

What are you smoking? :engel:

No seriously, are you kidding? I hope so.

But @ magicjuggler: Yeah, and then get the pistols fussilade back!!!!!one

Just fix the blunderbuss. Because otherwise, like blazing sun said, they'll be overpowered. Having 5 outriders will get you 30 shots hitting on 3s, S4 AP. That's 175 points. Only 25 more than my regular unit of pistoliers, but these guys will averagely hit 20 shots, instead of the 6 regular pistoliers do.

Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 05:22:06 AM »
I'd like to see an option for the outriders to get hang gliders as a mount upgrade.  Imagine flying outriders, you'd have to tie it to buying an engineer for the army of course but damn.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:06 AM »
Never mind gliders, why not helicopter gunships to go with our tanks?

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Because we'd then need to give something even MORE powerful to the Dwarfs...  :happy:

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »
Because we'd then need to give something even MORE powerful to the Dwarfs...  :happy:

As a dwarf player, I have to say "about bloody time"...

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
I look at it this way, the imperial dwarfs are, shall we say, a little less conservative in thier ideas about engineering ( hanging around the short lived but robust humans in the engineering guild has a stimulant effect on them) so they are contributing their connon sense and tried and true construction techniques to several of the more esoteric designs coming out of Nuln. 

So yeah the combination of human exuberance and dwarven practicality could very well drive the university's research and development project selection process.  Humans in this equation are the biggers with the trigger trying out the more "experimental" dwarven and human designed weapons.

I do however thing there would be some protest about going beyond the birdmen of catrazza type gliders, especially if we still have them armed with RHGs, with grenadoes as a potential second upgrade.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
I do however thing there would be some protest about going beyond the birdmen of catrazza type gliders, especially if we still have them armed with RHGs, with grenadoes as a potential second upgrade.

and full plate, dont forget full plate ;)

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »
only if we use dwarf pilots  :-P
"DEfighter wrote:

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 05:59:03 AM »
As an additional note I do like the brace of RPs on the rare outrider choices I even have some knight models made up for this. knights in FP with a pair of RPs and full knightly command on fast cav horses.

"DEfighter wrote: