home

Author Topic: Greatswords (8th Edition)  (Read 13390 times)

Offline Marwynn

• Members
Greatswords (8th Edition)
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:13 AM »
GREATSWORDS 10 Points

Code: [Select]
                 M WS BS  S T W I A Ld
Greatsword       4  4  3  3 4 1 3 1  8
Champion         4  4  3  3 4 1 3 2  8

Equipment: Full Plate Armour, Greatsword, Hand Weapon
Special Rules: No Going Back, Elite State Troops
No Going Back - Greatswords are Stubborn and Immune to Panic. If a General of the Empire joins a unit of Greatswords the unit become Immune to Psychology.
Elite State Troops - Greatswords re-roll failed to-wound rolls. They can become Parent units or Independent units and can also be detachments to a parent Greatsword unit.

Summary: Toughness 4, Immune to Panic (Immune to Psych with GotE), and re-roll to-wounds. I think it's the extra oomph! they've been missing compared to other Elite Infantry. Didn't want to go down the 2 Attacks route with them.

Offline Johedl

• Members
Re: Greatswords (8th Edition)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
They would be way to good if that was their rules. Hammers would cost two more points and get one more point in WS and S each but have worse armour, I and not take detachments. I think the Greatswords are fine. They are pretty cheap for an elite unit and a bit worse in stats than most other races elite but they are humans and should be worse. Their strength is the combined weapons in the Imperial arsenal.

Offline Marwynn

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »
Don't forget they have Ld9 as well and for an extra point can get Shields, making them quite flexible. I think that just demonstrates how slightly overcosted the Greatswords currently are.

They should be "worse" in the regard that they are baseline humans. But they don't have to be worse overall and these aren't average humans. T4 and Immunity to Panic brings them in line with the capabilities of other elite infantry for their points cost without pushing them over the top.

Offline Von Falster

• Members
  • Veni, vedi, vici.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
Hammerers cannot choose to use shields in 8th; they must use their special weapon.

I second Johedl in thinking that Greatswords are fine as they are. The only thing I would give them is at least the option for a 25 points magic banner. At best, a 50 points magic banner and the option for the Count's Champion to have at worst 5 points and at best 25 points of magic items (he's his champion after all, you know). I wouldn't change their point cost considering how you get more stuff per points now.
Eight will be remembered as the time of the Empire.

Mark my words.

Offline Marwynn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »
Well that's daft. I must've missed that in reading the rules, bummer.

I, of course, completely forgot the Magic Banner thing which would matter if we had more Magic Banners worth taking. One unit of Greatswords can take a 50 Point Magic Banner, the others 25 Points.

It's mainly due to the unit's fluff that they were made T4 and Immune to Panic.

EDIT:

What if: Greatswords are T4 and re-roll Panic and Break tests?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:07:45 AM by Marwynn »

Offline Von Falster

• Members
  • Veni, vedi, vici.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »
What if: Greatswords are T4 and re-roll Panic and Break tests?

A BSB does that already.

Mark my words.

Offline Marwynn

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 01:29:01 AM »
Uh-huh. And a Warrior Priest can do the Unbreakable bit too.

Offline Von Falster

• Members
  • Veni, vedi, vici.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:04 AM »
Then must I conclude that they would be just fine with the option for a magic banner (25 or 50), and maybe even 5 or 25 points of magic item allowance to the champion ? The Icon of Magnus is 25 points and would be a cool and far from broken option for them.

Mark my words.

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
Personally, I would love to see the Reiksguard Foot return, so giving the Greatswords the option to take a shield instead of the greatsword. Can't get more fluffy than the Emperor's personal bodyguard.
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline Omalley69

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
Personally, I would love to see the Reiksguard Foot return, so giving the Greatswords the option to take a shield instead of the greatsword. Can't get more fluffy than the Emperor's personal bodyguard.

I second that, (tjek them out in warhammer invasion, they are nuts!)

Offline Johedl

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »

I second that, (tjek them out in warhammer invasion, they are nuts!)

Now that such a troop would not get 2+ AS they might not be over the top. But at S3 they would not be all that good in close combat.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »
that's right, they should count as inner circle knights then, S4.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
Now that sounds like a unit I would take.

3+ armour save, S4, Shield giving a 6+ ward save in closecombat. And doesn't strike last.

But I guess that would be too much like armoured halberds.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 08:37:51 AM »
so?
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Scarr Gunliner

• Members
  • BRB at hand. If you want tactics, choose tactics.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
on the subject of magic items for them, I think it is a super idea as if it is something the empire have, it is magic items as they are a big place with much magic and wizards.

scarr
Although quite low, Marius look high and strong in his power. He has a worn hat on his head, which big folds fall down over his ears. He has a long grey cape that hangs over his body and makes it impossible to identify him without taking it off. His body is covered in fur and his hands is ethereal.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
How anout we make them like sworsdsmen with +1 S and +2 AS.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
Here's the haggling point.  At what cost for reiksguard foot without stubborn?
"DEfighter wrote:

Offline Ricardo-PB

• Members
  • Loves the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
Methinks T4 is the way to go. They're supposed to have survived countless battles and, as such, should be tougher or have become tougher.
Our skins may be thin, but, Our women are the finest, our armor the thickest, our spirits the strongest, and our weapons even stronger when we're filled with the spirit of alcoholic spirits and women! So sharpen your halberds, prime the guns, and remember that we fight the good fight for our Empire!

Offline ROMPologist

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
I think they're on to something when they say T4 and immune to panic when joined by a GotE, I would also add tho that you should get one unit as core if you have a GotE, would give you the possibility for a great Anchor for you line when you go with the general.

Also second the magic banner thingy, probably 25pts, we arent all that magic centric as a team.

Another idea would be to make them felxible, if you read old manuals on fighting with the Zweihänder, the long grip was for the times when the soldier gripped up on the dull part of the blade(the first 30cm or so) so they could use it more dexteriously. This could be represented by allowing you to choose between fighting as a halberdier or Greatweapon every round of closecombat. It would make them stand out^^.