home

Author Topic: Joined The Guard  (Read 35037 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: Joined The Guard
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 08:54:20 AM »
The battle seemed really epic and tense. I liked that the last survivors were a sniper and a vox guy. Very movie-like, very cool. Your army is beggining to look really nice. Will you stick with the red camo scheme?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
I'm not sure actually. I liked how it turned out more then I thought I would, but I think I'm going to try a few different schemes on some other guys then compare them all together.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
I'm not sure actually. I liked how it turned out more then I thought I would, but I think I'm going to try a few different schemes on some other guys then compare them all together.

Good call. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 01:22:03 AM »
Second game of the campaign happened on Saturday and this one went... less well.

Game 2 was the 1st Canadiana Imperial Guard and their Salamander allies VS The Eldar of Craftword Caedmon and their allied Tau of name undecided. (as their listed on the fluff sheet).

This time the brave Guard were able to deploy shoulder to shoulder (Mid chest actually probably) with their space marine allies. Our mission was to assassinate the enemy Farseer, but unbeknownst to us the foul xeno need to secure vital intelligence located in the center of the battlefield.

My guard had the first turn and laid down a withering hail of firepower that slew 3 Eldar warriors and lightly wounded the Tau leader. No one blew themselves up this time with fiery plasma, which was nice. The space marines trundled forward into the ruins but alas, they didn't have a shot.

On the enemies first turn they moved forward and returned fire against the stalwart guard. After rolling a ridiculous, and frankly unbelievable, amount of sixes, they butchered almost the entire veteran and command squad.

All the glorious guardsmen were dead or wounded by the end of turn two. The game ended in a draw after a full six turns, with the last 3 being pretty much no action. The space marines ended up camping on the objective the enemies needed without knowing it. (For this game neither side knew the others objective. My partner ended up sitting on the objective because he thought the ruins in the center of the board would be more defensible.) The enemy teams got whittled down to much to nothing, but kept their Farseer alive and denied us the victory points.

Everyone involved has had a weird time adjusting to having a game that's usually just 1 unit and 1 HQ per player. There's so few troops that a good turn of shooting can pretty much knock a player out. We all knew this going in, and starting next week we start getting more troops. The next game is actually more kill team style and should be an even more different change. Even getting knocked out in turn 2 it was really fun. Finding out we'd accidently denied the enemy the objective was hilarious. We thought their goal was to kill the space marine commander because of how worked up they were getting whenever the space marine player had his turn.

The next game, kill team style, is going to be 1vs1 with each player playing against the referee/game master and trying to complete their objective. We pick our kill team the day of he match from our current forces AFTER we find out what our objective us. I'm feeling pretty confident purely because my veteran squad has a little bit of everything in it. Not to mention the HQ squad.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 09:01:02 AM »
"We do and wie die, that is the way of the Imperial Guard". That's all. A very good game, but an Eldar and Tau combo is truly horryfing when it comes to shooting. You did good, given the circumstances.

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 05:05:47 PM »
I'm certainly looking forward to getting revenge when I've got more then 1 squad I can say that.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 01:13:51 AM »
There's been a couple of games in the campaign since my last post, but I'm still writing them up. Overall it's been going pretty well for our team.

Quick fluff question. I know there's a few BFG players floating around. Does anyone know if Imperial Ships use any kind of prefix? Like HMS kind of thing. I've looked into it but havn't found anything concrete.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »
Not as far as I know, I am fairly well versed with bfg as well.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »
That what it looked like from my search, I just wanted to double check with people. The few times I've seen it used seems to be just people's personnel take on the fluff.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
Well you could use His Imperial Majesty's prefix, since it goes well with the Emperor. ;) Remember that 40K fluff is much more open to interpretation, than, for example, WFB's. ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:06:54 AM by Xathrodox86 »

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »
Yeah that's certainly one of the nice things about 40k, you can base your army on pretty much anything. Both my Grandfathers where in the navy so it feels a bit weird writing about ships without a prefix, just force of habit, but I think I'm going to do without. I kind of like the thought of them not needing a prefix because as far as their concerned the only ships worth knowing are friends, who get names, and enemies. Who get blasted.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
There’s been a few games since the last update and for the most the campaign is going well for my team. We hold the space port, we’ve fortified it against attacks, and we’ve kept the other teams from getting a foot hold near us. We’re behind a bit in points because we’re pretty far away from some of the big objectives on the map. The campaign is fighting over a map, kind of like the old border prince maps, and several spots have bonus points or special abilities. The space port gives bonus to our reinforcements roll, but the double necron team currently controls three special spots, and they’ve just demolished everyone they’ve gone against.

Currently my campaign army is much bigger then the two squads it was last time. It’s still no where near legal but that’s because of the fluff building aspect of the campaign. The 1st Canadiana Regiment currently consists of:

Company Command Squad
-   Captain Hawkwood, Powerfist
-   Lieutenant 1st Class
-   Color Sergeant with Flag
-   Vox Trooper
-   Plasma Veteran
-   All have Carapace armor.
1st Platoon.
Command Squad-
-   Commander with power sword, Vox, Flag, Close Combat, Plasma. Frag grenade.
1st Squad
-   Sarge.
-   Rocket heavy weapon.
-   1 Flame.
-   1 Vox
-   5 Troops

2nd Squad.
-   Sarge.
-   Rocket heavy weapon
-   Flame
-   6 Troops

5 Storm troopers
1st Company Veterans (Starting squad)
- Sergeant with powersword and plasma pistol.
- Vox caster.
- Heavy flamer.
- Sniper.
- Melta Gun.
- Rocket launcher heavy weapon.
- 3 troopers.

728Th Cadian Veterans
- Sergeant with powersword and Bolt pistol.
- Vox caster.
- Heavy flamer.
- Melta Gun.
- Autocannon heavy weapon.
- 6 Troops
- Carapace armor.

And 1 solitary armored sentinel with autocannon.

It’s a strange build, partly because of how the points have to be spent now and again. My partner in the campaign is space marines and is looking more and more like a beast. He’s got a land raider and 2 rhinoes. Plows forward and unleashes close combat and tactical squads right in someone’s face. Like a true guardsman I’m just there to hold the objectives long enough for him to slaughter everything.

This coming weekend we have our next battle and we’re against a Eldar & Dark Eldar player. I havn’t seen their army lists but I know they beat a chaos space marine/traitor guard team with a very similar build to ours.

So who wants to be the first to point out the terrible parts of my list? I’ve had no real regrets and I’ve gotten real lucky with some things like the sniper and multiple melta guns. I’ve even had pretty good mileage out of the heavy weapons embedded in squads rather then separate, but that’s been because of well placed orders. Flags have been just about pointless so far, and the plasma pistol on the 1st veteran sarg has been used exactly once each game and has a 50% success or death rate.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
As a fellow Guard player I must say that this list is rather good. I don't know your points and FOC limit, so I'll just add my two cents, based on what I've read - never give a Plasma weapon to a single wound character. Drop the banners. With such a small force they're nigh on useless. Equip all your guys with Vox-casters. Powerfist is a nice weapon, but consider the following: you'll strike last and you won't instant kill most enemies that PF is designed to drop. Why? Because while PF on Space Marines boosts their strength to 8, meaning they'll one-shit Tyranid Warriors, other Marines and Ork Nobz, your PF boosts your strength to 6. And PF's are expensive. My advice is to give all your guys, or at least as many as possible, Carapace Armour. You're runnning Vets, so just take the Grenadier Doctrine. Maybe invest in some HWT's with Autocannons and SWS with Flamers. Sniper Rifles in 7th suck, because they no longer pin your enemies.

As soon as possible grab a Chimera or two, kit out your vets with 3 Meltaguns and unleash the Emperor's fury upon your enemies. Alternatively you can try deploying a Vendetta with the Fighter Ace upgrade. It'll annihilate any armour with extreme prejudice. Oh and of course, Leman Russess are your friends.

Keep on fighting. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :::cheers:::

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »
Thanks! Heavy weapon teams and chimera's are top of my wish list right now. The plasma weapons have been very hit or miss, literally with a side bonus of cooking my own people now and then. The powerfist has actually earned it's fair share of kills so far but mostly against tau and Eldar.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
I had a bunch of pictures to post but first I have to fight with photobucket to make the sizes right. This the first one I got working. (I hope it's not gigantic.)

This is a shot of what I have painted so far. There's a few odd guys out fell of the bases, but this is the bulk.

The White mass at the top left is a platoon command and 1 squad. In the middle is a group of veterans (Painted by someone off ebay), then the red platoon is two squads with a platoon command. With the regiment being the 1st Canadiana, the colors or going to be red and white in different measures.

The lovely powder blue group is another veteran squad, currently my MVP's with both lots of kills, lots of objectives held and uncountable screw ups. They have an incredibly habit of ignoring orders, missing all their shots, then winning the day in the last turn or two.

Finally in the front row we have a lord commissar (Far left), the company Command squad in the middle, then the 1st storm trooper on the right.

Hopefully I'll get other pictures working. it's amazing the difference washes can make on the cloth parts. I'm also rather proud/happy with how the camo cloaks turned out.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 10:04:39 PM »
This is a work in progress on the camo cloaks.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »
They look really good! You're going places with that infantry. :) What about vehicles? Planning to get any in the future?

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2016, 03:32:57 PM »
I'm debating vehicles. They would supremely useful, especially in the meta by me. However I'm pretty cheap so I'm looking at converting some first. On top of that I've never been a fan of big models, even in fantasy my armies are generally infantry all the way.

That said how can I say no to tanks. I have some ideas for a kitbash russ that looks a bit more like a Sherman Tank.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
Good thing with the guard is that you don't need a lot of tanks. Two LR's are optimal. Then 2-3 Chimeras and some artillery. Depending on your tastes, you can go full squadron or single units. I'm running a competitive list with 3 x Wyverns and a single Manticore, supported by 2 x LR's Demolishers and 2 x Chimeras for my Vets. You will need a flyer, without a shadow of a doubt. I suggest Vendetta. 3 x TL Lascannons are scary as hell.

Gneisenau

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
This is a work in progress on the camo cloaks.

Where are the models? All I see is a big green backgr- ohhhhh   :icon_wink:.
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
I played a tank heavy army build.  Had quite a lot of fun.  The flaw with my set up was when I had to deal with lots of monstrous creatures.  Those battle cannons just didn't get it done!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
Were you using normal Russes? For MC's a maxed out tank army is a good idea, stationary tank bunkers with sponsons, pintle-mounted weapons and Hunter Killer missiles everywhere. Of course IG = artillery and a couple of Bassilisk or Manticores never hurt anyone. If you're going for the cheese factor then take the Armoured Company Battlegroup from Forgeworld's Imperial Armour and field a bunch of BS5 Leman Russes, armed with a Poison 2+, AP2 or 3, INSTANT DEATH shells for those pesky MC's. ;)

I did it. Took out about 3 MC's per turn with them. By the end of turn 3 there were no more MC's on the table. :-P

Gneisenau

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
I ran the gattling gun LEman, a full plasma tank, 3 basilisks, and a handful of battle cannon leman russ if points allowed.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
How was the gattling gun unit? I like be the idea of 20 H dice to roll on a unit. I just never see them so I thought they weren't that good. It's the punisher LR right? To
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
Right.  You NEED to put Pask in it (thats the hero guy right?).  His BS4 is huge for that.