home

Author Topic: I miss the Old World  (Read 25240 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
I miss the Old World
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
I was going through my old White Dwarfs and I got all sad  :icon_cry: I MISS THE OLD WORLD DAMIT !!!!!   :x
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: I miss the Old World
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »
Mordheim

Total War: Warhammer

Warhammer: Quest

Play any of the editions of WFB.

These are only some of the ideas about keeping Warhammer Fantasy alive. The Old World lives Zak. It'll die only, if you'll let it to do so.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »
dude let me feel sorry for myself  :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »

Never! You're too good for that. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »

Never! You're too good for that. :biggriin:

haha thanks dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »

When David Cronenberg's adaptation of Naked Lunch was released, William S. Burroughs was asked what he thought of what had been done to his book. "Nothing's been done to my book, it's still right there on the shelf," he replied.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 02:45:44 AM »
I get it but I miss updates and new editions and new army books cool write ups in WD etc. New miniature sets, articles bla bla bla
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
I love going through my white dwarfs from the early 90's. GW has changed so much since then.
White dwarf used to show you how to build your own scenery Kinda sad how GW has become so aggressive towards people who now build their own scenery

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
the 90's was the golden age of Warhammer  :closed-eyes:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 02:19:11 AM »
Pffft. Very early 90s.  Like the part that was more like a continuation of the 80s. :wink:

For me, I think I liked when the Old World wasn't as filled out, which is probably why I'm not bothered by (and can even appreciate) the forced DIY of going back or continuing with a discontinued universe.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
Beautiful picture. In those days gamers were made from sterner stuff. Imagine having to move all these models without movement trays, finagling models over the hedges and balancing them on the tree moss. I mean they did have tweed jackets and pipes for help but it still is impressive.

For the record, I too miss the Old World or rather the fellow gamers to enter said world. yes, it may still be there but it sure is a whole lot less populated.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
There's a thriving internet community for fans of the old world at http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk. All editions catered for, although subjectively (ie to me) it feels like 3rd edition is slightly more favoured than the rest.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »
Beautiful picture. In those days gamers were made from sterner stuff. Imagine having to move all these models without movement trays, finagling models over the hedges and balancing them on the tree moss. I mean they did have tweed jackets and pipes for help but it still is impressive.

For the record, I too miss the Old World or rather the fellow gamers to enter said world. yes, it may still be there but it sure is a whole lot less populated.

THATS it dude!! its not so much the world I can create it with my massive miniature collection and scenery etc. I miss hanging out at the local game shop talking, gaming, and just being apart of that nostalgia. meh now I go and I might find one or two guys who complain about the loss ...booo 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
Et in Arcadia ego...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
I felt that the vast majority of game store conversation I encountered centered on competition and "the meta" rather than fluff. So I don't feel the same sense of loss.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »
I felt that the vast majority of game store conversation I encountered centered on competition and "the meta" rather than fluff. So I don't feel the same sense of loss.

Actually I had not really thought of that. I didn't experience the 90's era in this game. Mainly 2005 and up but that certainly makes sense to me as I really liked the fluff armies which didn't roam to often. Also my life changed drastically with my son moving out and a new relationship also seems reminiscent of the end times. I never let go of the books though.
I have to say though, the fight back into the hobby was long and hard and it seems the new world fits in with mine pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:13:03 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
It's a shame that GW forgot the original Warhammer but keeps pillaging it.

The period between 2000 and 2006 was the best :biggriin:
Awesome resin scenery sold by FW and at same time GW teaching you build them  even on General's Compendium, best fluff not too much over the top or against traditon like new editions, lot of fluff books from BL, best artworks ever.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »

Awesome resin scenery sold by FW and at same time GW teaching you build them  even on General's Compendium, best fluff not too much over the top or against traditon like new editions, lot of fluff books from BL, best artworks ever.

I agree, like I said the golden age of fantasy. We still had great metals, awesome plastic kits for $22.00 ( 19 figs) etc.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »
I agree. 6th edition held the most promise for a hobbyist, as well as the intent of balanced competition, and core plastics at decent prices.
5th edition models (great metals) were still available and widely used too.

There were no crazy builds like in 7th, there was no crazy magic like in 8th.
Simple scenery but fun and themed, not the same old plastic kits for all battles.

I didnt talk in stores much. But 6th edition is when i has the widest gaming group playing, and also when i used to play once a week.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:48:05 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 12:36:59 AM »
I agree. It's all subjective, and I've got a certain nostalgia for 3rd ed., but I think 6th ed. is where WFB really peaked.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »
Also if it is the setting that you like, don't feel forced to rely on GW rules, you can indeed play in the old world using any old Warhammer edition, you might even (sigmar forbid !) use AoS rules in the Old World, ignoring the new factions and units, provided that you want a skirmish simple game and not a ranked mass battle, or you can use other rulesets, like The 9th age or Kings of War.

The last one is my favorite option, Kings of War play give me the option of playing a better game that warhammer ever was for me using my existing armies. You even have skavens (ratkin), chaos dwarves (abyssal dwarves), and even the famous Warhammer Fishmen faction finally has rules (Trident realms of Neretica) ;)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »

Indeed. It was the golden age of Warhammer Fantasy. 6th edition WFB was glorious, Warhammer Chronicles, WFRP 2nd edition - it was a great time to be a Hammer fan.

Gneisenau

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
Come on guys Ninth Age is alive !

It even has companies making new miniatures for Ninth,

it's a much more awesome balanced game also,

I'm planning a game in Sept
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
Also if it is the setting that you like, you might even (sigmar forbid !) use AoS rules in the Old World, ignoring the new factions and units, provided that you want a skirmish simple game and not a ranked mass battle,

This is something  I've never understood so I need different povs but  why playing  the original setting maybe with armies like Bretonnia or TKs using the game that cancelled  the original game,the setting and even the miniatures ranges?
For skirmishes  or little games there are: Warhammer Skirmish(idea then stolen by aos), Path to Glory(idea stolen by aos), Border Patrols,Warhammer Warbands, Quest for the Grail...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
Also if it is the setting that you like, you might even (sigmar forbid !) use AoS rules in the Old World, ignoring the new factions and units, provided that you want a skirmish simple game and not a ranked mass battle,

This is something  I've never understood so I need different povs but  why playing  the original setting maybe with armies like Bretonnia or TKs using the game that cancelled  the original game,the setting and even the miniatures ranges?
For skirmishes  or little games there are: Warhammer Skirmish(idea then stolen by aos), Path to Glory(idea stolen by aos), Border Patrols,Warhammer Warbands, Quest for the Grail...

Don't forget about Mordheim. :smile2:

Gneisenau