home

Author Topic: What Boardgames are you playing in 2017?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Walt von Ark

• Members
What Boardgames are you playing in 2017?
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »
I Finally Managed to get 5 friends over on a monthly basis to play boardgames for a sunday.
Having great fun with Games like Doom deathmatch, Game of thrones, Axis And alies and yesterday it was just the four of us so we played a couple of rounds of Ankh Morpork(love this game)  and even the old Scotland Yard. I Wanted to try using a couple of Know no fear Boxes and rules to get them familiair with 40k and who knows, maybe even Mordheim.
Untill that time we're looking for some new games (4-6 players) Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 05:00:04 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: What Boardgames are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
Ankh-Morpork is a blast, too bad it will never get reprinted   :-(

Chaos in the Old World is pretty much the best thing there is for 4 players and it works well enough with 3 and 5 (with Horned Rat - really difficult to get these days).

I highly recommend Dogs of War (from CMON) - its like a little abstracted Game of Thrones, that plays in 60-120 minutes, best with 4-5.

Also stuff from Matagot like Kemet, Cyclades, Inis.
cheers,
Lee

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
The last board game I played was "A Few Acres of Snow".  Don't want to admit how far back that was. :icon_lol:

However, it's a fun game based on the conflicts between France and England in the New World.

- - -

Thanks for adding this thread! :::cheers:::

It could be a good one to move from the Back Table into the Count's Tavern area so more folks can see it!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
I’ve been heavily into Scythe with a bunch of friends, but most recently I played carcassonne with the family.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
Chess every Friday.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
Chess every Friday.

Nice!👆 used to play quite a bit but havnt for a number of years. Played Stratego with my son a few times in the last couple of months.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
Well now that it has been mentioned, chess was my most recent board game. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
Came across this incredible chessboard with Pueter and marble base and the pieces where Wellington and Napoleon. Finest set I ever seen. I had an onyx set for years but then I lost a few pieces. So upset I chucked the whole thing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:22:57 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
My favourite is still the Lewis chess set - a replica of which I have, but, alas, not a fitting board.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Walt von Ark

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »
Ankh-Morpork is a blast, too bad it will never get reprinted   :-(

Chaos in the Old World is pretty much the best thing there is for 4 players and it works well enough with 3 and 5 (with Horned Rat - really difficult to get these days).

I highly recommend Dogs of War (from CMON) - its like a little abstracted Game of Thrones, that plays in 60-120 minutes, best with 4-5.

Also stuff from Matagot like Kemet, Cyclades, Inis.

Damn Lee, these are games ive been eyeballing for quite some time now, Dont know if CitOW is a game for none Warhammerfantasy gamers though? any experience
Dogs of war looks really promising! thanks for that reminder!

And ah chess! got a metal greek mythology version somewhere. Still looking for THE one though, ill know it when i see it.

We were thinking about Risk Legacy, to bad its 5 players max because it looked promising.

A lot of games are 2-5 players arnt they, no 6 player games?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:52:42 PM by Walt von Ark »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »
I played A Few Acres of Snow a month or so back about half a dozen times, really a good feel for the French and Indian War.  Two players only.

Games I played over the last couple of weeks:  Scythe, City of Horror, the Resistance, Thebes, Carcassonne and Small World.  The Resistance is a party game and I'm not much of a fan.  City of Horror is a heavy negotiating/bargaining game and can get very slow.  All of them you can play with 4 or more players, though.  Scythe is really a great game.  Carcassonne is one of my all time favorites.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:44:36 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
Dont know if CitOW is a game for none Warhammerfantasy gamers though? any experience

A lot of games are 2-5 players arnt they, no 6 player games?

Chaos has been a hit with people who have never played any sort of Warhammer - anybody can get into that "riders of the apocalypse" theme and the map is still pretty much Europe  :-P A lot of guys on the forums seem to have a problem with the gruesome graphic design, but its not a problem I've encountered myself. Its really a top, top game with plenty of replayability.

A game that seems to scratch the same itch, but just had its Kicksterter is Root, due late 2018. Lighter theme but perhaps heavier gameplay and it plays up to 6.

6-player games are difficult to come by. Its mostly party games at this point or multiplayer solitaire, as otherwise down-time is a killer. 7 Wonders works fine, though I'm not a big fan. Mission Red Planet in a good one for a bit more interactive experience.

Risk Legacy is almost impossible to get.
cheers,
Lee

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
Talisman, Risk, Chaos in the Old World, Neuroshima Hex, Warhammer Quest, Dominion and Citadel - having a blast with all of these.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau