home

Author Topic: Round 4 - Defending against Biased Modifiers  (Read 8886 times)

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Round 4 - Defending against Biased Modifiers
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:35 AM »
Quote from: Midaski
The other point that has been made in the Campaign News forum is that the Campaign Team will give a date for the end of the round, BUT NOT a time.

Just FYI, I will be doing this tally. But that’s all the hints as to time I’m gonna give you… :wink:  :P
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 12:34:27 AM »
Thanks Calvin! Goes to look up the time table for Toronto, Canada...  :-D
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 12:40:21 AM »
Same as Florida ;)
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 06:47:09 AM »
Greetings from an ice cold Johannesburg. ok, ok Ice cold compared to Durban, I know what real cold is. I lived in Denver for two years.

Shipped off last night on an emergency business trip. Staying at an old friends place and we got some of my old friends together for a warhammer festival. I did well I might add breaking my draw streak.

Didn't get to play against my host so hoping to get done here before 4 pm so we can fit a game in. My flight back is only 10pm. This is a tough game though so no expectations as to result. Not using my own models means I can't make a compliant list :(

I see T-Land are hitting hard at Bechafen and at Kaltenbach but they were behind at Bechafen and we are still ahead at Kaltenbach. I used my better points game at TUW. We are holding our ground there so we can make Stirland pay for not trying to reclaim UDO's

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 08:01:30 AM »
Quote from: Midaski
I wonder if Talabecland realise how important Udo's Fall is and how it will keep Stirland away from Bechafen?

I wonder if Stirland realise it will take them 2 turns to get to Bechafen via TUW?

I wonder if I should post up something subtle in the Campaign Forum?

Midaski I think you you need to post this little gem out loud and bold in open forum not just posted to General H!
Judging by the amount of flak we are getting at the Uneasy, I dont think any of the Stirs are reading it! silly buggers smell blood and want the Uneasy back, typical of an Elector who puts Pride before reason  :?
Grand Writing Competition winning entry;
"I was there! With the Men of Erlach!"

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"
- Oscar Wilde

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005, 08:26:44 AM »
I think we need to watch the 'BIG Hitters' on the other teams.

They have a limit of ONE post per day over the period -
[Demonslayer  :oops:  sorry] "Massacre Man" has advance posted one, I think, already.

Stirland have Massacre Man, xnet445, wojammer mainly who will probably post 5, and then Konrad von Richtmark, Dihenydd, towishimp and TheBuilder who may average 2/3 each.

Talabecland have Helblaster, episteme, and cisse who are their main contributors,
with Carlo Chaimo and Joey chipping in a couple each.

We probably need a thread to tally their posts each round, so we can see what 'reports' have been "used up" and what they might be hanging on to for last day attacks.

Bit  tricky today for me to do - if anyone has the time, today that would be great, otherwise I'll have a look tomorrow.
I  thought something like:

Stirland:
Massacre Man: Massacre [What else] TUW 2000pts [25% bonus on top]
Massacre 2 - TUW 2000pts
Wojammer Solid TUW etc

Modship means I can edit it as well as the originator for updates - if we keep it fairly clear of added posts - it will be a good guide to what's happening.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 11:21:55 AM »
Sitting here doing a presentation with big gaps in the day.

I modified the program to spit out a summary of games played to keep track of the requested figures.

This helps in another way. If I capture a battle incorrectly like last round its easier to spot the mistake and fix it.

Kaltenbach has fallen but 4 reports from Cisse so it could slow down.

Still looking good to make a game later. Been 7 years since I last played him lets hope I've improved more than he has :)

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2005, 01:57:50 PM »
Gentlemen! We Cannot let Kaltenbach fall!
time to rise to the occasion and push them Back!

Looking at our battle reports few of our generals are using scenarios, although most seem to have the right army list, I for one am loath to drop a L2 life wizard for a Shadows wizard vs the other races I play against to remain a little more compettitive.

It is easier to select scenarios, and I have a feeling that the reason Demonslayer is getting so many masacres is that he is only playing the scenario that has the defender at with a 1/3 smaller army and he is playing the attacker.

We can beef up our scores slightly simply by convincing our opponents to play a scenario.

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2005, 02:20:57 PM »
If it was just the lore of my wizard that was the issue I think I would make him shadow for the bonus. How much did your guy actually do vs Judy, basically he is just there for magic defense.

I'm short spearman models also and thats not easy to get around.

Getting folks to play scenarios has been pretty easy actually. Using forage and letting them defend doesnt get them a huge advantage and it boosts your scores if you win or draw. Right now both our priority targets have forage for a scenario.

That 25% that we are losing is equivilent of their freebie bonus.

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
Quote from: Rorrak
How much did your guy actually do vs Judy, basically he is just there for magic defense.

Granted, I had little hope of casting against her anyway. But now imagine only 1 dispel scroll as wizards may carry only 25pts worth of magic items to fit a campaign list.
Do I pay 60 points to have 1 dispell scroll in our upcomming tournament? as one level 2 will probably not help me anyway.

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2005, 02:33:38 PM »
Quote from: Vann Harl
Quote from: Rorrak
How much did your guy actually do vs Judy, basically he is just there for magic defense.

But now imagine only 1 dispel scroll as wizards may carry only 25pts worth of magic items to

Tis true, I forgot the magic item limit also. Now I really must get out of here.

Offline rha celt

• Members
Better win then list
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2005, 05:10:04 PM »
I thought about using the perscribed list but then looked at my opponents and said no way. I have limited gaming time so I go for a win or draw as it counts for something where as a loss doesn't count at all. When your opponents will not change there list just get them to play the scenarios and get the win.
When in doubt attack, hey sometimes it works

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2005, 05:14:58 PM »
I've just thrown another thread into the Campaign forum called 'Kislev smiles' - continuing my 'propaganda' war - hopefully someone from the Stirland camp will realise that Udo's Fall has to be won to get them back to Bechafen next round, and we'll have to see if they change plans - Talabecland are still 5000pts in front.

If Stirland start attacking Udo's then hopefully Talabecland will bring points to defend it away from Kaltenbach.

Patience for 24 hours and let's hold back some results to see what happens.
 :?:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rha celt

• Members
Nice post
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2005, 05:22:45 PM »
That was some very well written propoganda. If they don't buy into that I will be real amazed. Things like that are why we follow your lead.  Keep it up and one day we will control the entire battlefield.
When in doubt attack, hey sometimes it works

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 08:52:52 PM »
Midaski I salute you.

And the response to the TVI was very subtle and udoubtedly clever.
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 09:58:59 PM »
Actually I am really enjoying this - the Kislev smiles is developing nicely.

As I do not get to post many battle reports - stirring up the enemy can be a fun contribution.
All it needs is a couple of voices in the Stirland camp to start questioning the tactics, and if they are arguing it can only help........

:wink:

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2005, 08:01:36 AM »
I won my first game of warhammer to a guy named Andrew, but then I proceeded to lose my next 15 games (varied opponents) in a row, each time I lost by less.

Each time I played Andrew after that he beat me, this streak lasted 22 games before I beat him again, but after each of those battles he showed me things to improve my game. The scoring was somewhat different back then but my records show the equivilent of 2 Massacres, 11 Major losses and 9 Minor losses from those 22 games.

Those 22 games were also played over 9 months and I was getting some wins in against other players, my game was improving and yet I was feeling a little frustrated at how much I was still losing against Andrew.

The rate at wich Massacre Man is playing means some of his victems must be starting to get really depressed about the game and that cant be good for them or him for that matter in terms of a future. I mean in 3 weeks he has tallied up 18 massacres.

I chatted with Vann Harl and suggested that the results may be from staged games but Vann Harl feels its just that he is playing with the Raid Scenario, probably playing more games than he is reporting and only reporting the best.  That actually makes it worse for his victems.

/Rant off

I managed to pull off a Solid Victory (by 11 points) last night with scenario modifiers. When does this round end ? We have a small buffer at Kaltenbach and are not that far behind at TUW

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2005, 08:04:24 AM »
Midaski you propoganda is a beauty! It suprising that the stirlanders read it and think "oh its only propoganda" clueless fools!

Very good writing totally enjoyed it. I must admit that I didnt catch the "tic tac - tactics" although we do have the sweets here as well. needless to say a slap to the forhead was necessary when at last the light dawned.

Also Cheers to Brugner and his kislevs adding to the defense of kaltenbach!

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2005, 08:15:07 AM »
Quote from: Vann Harl
I must admit that I didnt catch the "tic tac - tactics" although we do have the sweets here as well. needless to say a slap to the forhead was necessary when at last the light dawned.

I didn't get it either and yea I should have.

Do we get Tic Tac's here still ? I haven't seen them for the longest time.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2005, 10:46:19 AM »
Point 1- Masscare Man.
I think at the moment it's a gentle wind up, because of the points van Harl has made.
We do not know if he's playing the same guy all the time, or if it's a variety, and again he may be playing loads of games and picking the best as has been said.

That's why in the 'propaganda' I have been trying to draw him out.......

I wonder if maybe he's playing more than 6 turns, playing to total destruction of the enemy?
I wonder if he's playing 2000pts?
I mean if you use 1000 or 1500 pts you can fit a lot more games in.

The 'rules' do not dictate the minimum size of battle do they.......

Point 2:
I've been drumming up support as well.
I see Brunger has come in at Kaltenbach, and Spite at the Watchman,

I need to do this Big Hitter's analysis and post it up - maybe later today
- maybe we can develop the plans from there.

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2005, 10:57:47 AM »
I need to do this Big Hitter's analysis and post it up - maybe later today

Have you not seen my player summary after the totals at locations?

Lists player along with locations (abreviated for space) and points.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2005, 11:21:40 AM »
I have now - marvelous :clap:  :clap:

That will allow me to get on with another little plan :wink:

PS- I am not sur whether those 1800's should be 2000?

I tried to get the general to say when the 25% modifier bonus was applied in the FAQ thread, and still didn't understand his answer :roll:

I didn't know if you would take a massacre with full bonuses = 1600pts - then add 25% = 400pts more,

Or if you take the massacre at 800pts and then add the modifier as 'another' bonus = 200pts.

You seem to have elected forthe second solution - I think we need to get 100% clarification on that?

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
I went to past stirland results at Holeburg and saw what they did with the 50% modifier. To each report they reply saying what it scored so I was able to deduce.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2005, 12:23:03 PM »
I've just been checking our registered list.

We have 24 with no involvement so far.
8 of those have Nil Posts.

The other 16 have 'heard' from me asking for support :-D
[Tho' one has bounced already]

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2005, 12:46:51 PM »
We need one of those "We Need You" posters of Lord Kitchener that they used for recruitment in the great war.

- Oscar Wilde