home

Author Topic: Dwarf Runic powers, My View  (Read 1480 times)

Offline spite

• Members
Dwarf Runic powers, My View
« on: November 01, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »
Sorry to repeat what I have already said but I want a few replies, and such.

Hey there I thought I would do a dwarf rune tactica, here goes

Dwarfs- Rune Magic,

A dwarf player who takes an Anvil of Doom, may use runic powers, a dwarf player gains in the magic phase D6 + 2 power dice, he may not use the normal 2 that you get for turning up, for casting runic powers.

Basically if a dwarf player wants to use runic powers he must take a runelord to take a anvil of doom In which holds the runes to cast the runic powers.

I do have to say as a dwarf player myself, I hardly ever see teh anvil used, I haven't used it a massive amount of times myself but more so than a few others. Heres what I think about the anvil of doom and such.  

When a dwarf player takes a runelord and a anvil, (as I dont know why anyone would take a runelord and not take a anvil as the dwarf lord option is so much better, but thats life) he limits his options down a bit, as Hammerers cant gain that vital stubborn ability if he is with his anvil, the dwarf player who takes an anvil is sinking a lot of points into one model, a sort of all your eggs in one basket. First the runelord aint that great in combat, yes he isn't useless but that fact of the matter is, he on his own costs a lot then on top of that that the anvil, which is 200 points, then any self respecting dwarf player would kit him out with some nifty rune items to keep him alive and to actually do some damage with his spells.  So he costs about a quarter of your army, so killing him is going to bring you soem nice vicory points. This may sound obvious, but its the truth, I would say the best at killing a anvil is maybe great swords or flagellents, or the ubiquious knights though IC is a must as the low strength in later combats is not worth it against the anvil guard which are quite tough, at weapon skill 5 strength 4 and two attacks and they are unbreakable, Halberdiers are worth a mention as the extra strength is definately worth it. Heres my view.

Runic Powers

Rune Of Water, 6+

The Power may be cast to any enemy unit on the battlefield, The units movement is halved is halved until the end of its own following turn. If Forced to flee, for whatever reason, the unit flees at half speed (determine the distance as normal then halve it rounding up). This spell has no effect on flying creatures or etheral creatures.

I would say this spell is not bad/ good, because of its very low cost to cast, and the fact that the dwarfs might actually get a charge in, which isn't nessicarily a good thing. It also effects any unit of the enemy unit on the board, which is a real pain. I would not  try to dispel it if I had the chance if it did not affect me that much but when in later turns when units are embroiled in combat it is well worth dispelling it, as I dont want a big nasty dwarf lord and his unit of 25 hammerers on my swordsmen. (assuming deachments have been blown to shreds by handguns and crossbows).

Rune Of Air, 7+

This spell can be cast on any enemy unit on the table top, causng D6 strength 4 hits,

First look a the spell looks like a really rubbish version of a fireball, 7+ to cast what a joke, the thing is that is what I thought at first, and hey let it through what is it gonna do, well dont be so sure as it can be cast on anywhere on the tabletop, so pistoliers are gonnas from this spell, if it was aimed at my pistoliers I would dispel it straight away anything else let it through.

Rune Of Fire 8+

This rune releases a magic missile with a range of 30'', if successfully cast it causes 2D6 strength 4 hits.

Now this I would dispel, if it was aimed at my big blocks of troops or anything really apart from knights, of course who just shrugg it off,
a lot of armies have this type of spell, high elves, vampire counts etc.. I don't like this spell at all it is a real nutcracker at times as it can shed a rank or two. I would dispel it all the time unless aimed at knights.

Rune Of Earth 10+

This spell can be cast anywhere on the tabletop, the anvil causes D6 strength 5 hits on any enemy unit, plus a further D6 strength 5 hits if partially or wholly within a rocky feature, ( all hills, rocky outcrops, ruins or any area which has been identified as high ground, rocky or ruinous before the game).

Ahh a actual real good spell in my opinion, as it is a good knight killer
becuase of strength 5 and the additional D6 strength 5 as well. It includes hills terrain that nearly everyone uses, it doesnt have a range either and thats why it is an incredibly good spell, so anything on a hill or feature is in serious trouble, I have seen this spell wipe out a unit of IC knights because the  player thought he was safe in ruin where the opponents handguns couldnt hit the broadside of a barn door. Dispel this spell, it is very nasty piece of work against large hangunner units on a hill it is bound to cause a panic test along with all the war machines standing next to it if they fail.

Rune Of Doom 12+

You probobly won't see this spell as you can only have it, when you take thorek ironbrow, a dwarf special character, he isnt that great either, but because of his special assisatant kraggi he gains an additional power dice, but if that dice is a one when rolled it is a miscast and the additional benifact if the player miscasts when casting the spell, the anvil is destoyed and everybody takes a single strength 7 hit, this will probobly see the end of kraggi and maybe the guard as they can still save on a 6+, and thorek on a 5+,

When cast all units in the dwarf army cause fear,

once cast the effects of the rune of doom last until it is dispelled, until thorek chooses too, (which he can do any time) uses another rune or is slain,

This is a nasty spell, fear causing dwarves, Hmmmm... not what I like to see, as they usually have large units and all the fear tests on our great leadership, I wouldnt see this spell cast a lot as it is a major risk, but they do reap the rewards, if it is cast I would dispel it as the leadership of our troops isn't that great unless the general is around, then getting beaten by outnumbering fear causers is a undead thing, and is a real pain the backside.

Re-view,

The main spells to dispel are earth and fire as the player will only have a maximum of 8 power dice do not expect the player to more than 3 spells, and only a maximum of 9 when thorek is out. Then hopefully you wont see doom, I know I hardly have, then  dispel air and water.

Thats my view on the runic powers of dwarves

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Dwarf Runic powers, My View
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 08:20:24 AM »
Quite a good rundown of the Dwarven runic powers Spite!

The construction of sentences and general spelling could use some attention though......
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT