home

Author Topic: Warlord's wandering wonderings - HoMM3 Tower units  (Read 19140 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Warlord's wandering wonderings - HoMM3 Tower units
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
So, I never had one of these before.
I used to just post the odd thread here and there whenever I could be bother taking so photos, hosting them, and writing up a post.

But I thought, I do a bunch of various other bits and pieces nowadays, and with a son, and daughter on the way, the amount of time I will have is only going to get less, so might as well contribute more about the less that I am doing...

Where to start?

Such a good question, and.... well I don't know  :blush:

But here goes!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:30:25 PM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Warlord's wandering wonderings - (Intro)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »
Well, I guess first, I thought I would put in some shameless plugs to some of my older topics I posted:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,14837.0.html
An old post where I tried to photograph everything I had.
I have a lot more than that now.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,25591.0.html
My Hochland army. I think I need to take some better pictures of these guys, and some more group shots.
And some pics of finished stuff - like my converted Demi-gryphs.
Just noticed I haven't posted anything in there since 2012. And even further back, that I started it in 2006! That's depressing.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51698.0.html
Most recently, the army I gifted a friend (and also to clear out space)
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: Warlord's wandering wonderings - (Intro)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:38 PM »
I always loved Hochland colors - my boss when I worked at GW had a Hochland army. Just great colors. Your armies look great - wonderful stuff!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Warlord's wandering wonderings - Dogs of War kitbashes
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
Quite a few years ago now, when Dogs of War were still a thing, I was going to write a bunch of articles about how you can kitbash any unit with the existing plastics range.

Most were simple.

For example, here is a smaller calibre cannon, by cutting off some of the length of the normal cannon, wheel swap, and using the mortar struts:

A Paymaster (or Empire Merchant) using the fat Bret body and some bits.

Ruglud's armoured orcs - just with the 6th ed archer bodies, arm swaps and a 7th ed Empire crossbow (they are bigger scale).

Slayer Pirates - just hand swaps with pistols. Could easily be painted with red beards  :happy:

Ghazak Khan, mainly with a wicker shield cut up to use as armour pieces.

Dark Emmissary from a corpse cart rider, and various other bits.

There were a bunch of other things I made, but I don't think I have photos of them handy.
The Galloper Gun kitbash I really liked - may take a photo of it someday.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:53:15 AM by Warlord »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Warlord's wandering wonderings - Dogs of war kit bashes
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »
wow very cool work dude
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »
I vaguely recall seeing your Hochland figures years ago, and it is good to see them again.  Enjoying your conversions shown in this thread, too!

:icon_cool: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:19:37 PM »
I want to see those conversions painted up, you can also do more and show them, they are very inspiring and get the creative juices flowing.  steveb

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »
Thanks guys.

Yeah, the Hochlanders needs some attention to get finished. I really want 10 Marksmen of Miragliano to finish them...

I will get around to painting these kitbashes as some point. So much to paint though!

Anyway, here is the Galloper Gun kitbash I was talking about. Mainly used bits from the Helstorm kit - and the gun tube is from a dwarf organ gun.

Then here is a VERY simple kitbash for a paymaster's cart, using the long board piece from the Helstorm kit, some chain, and the dwarf treasure cart from the 7th ed starter box.

Here it is with the paymaster from before:

Lastly here were some simple 'Birdmen of Catrazza' or 'Gargoyles of Barda inspired' replacements....

Ungors with the 40k Tyranid Gargoyle wings, and goblin archer arms.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Looking good! Very creative.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
I love the galloper gun conversion! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »
I love the galloper gun conversion!

Me too. Simple and effective - my favorite type of conversion.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
I love the galloper gun conversion! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

+1

Overall very satisfying modelling.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:29:37 AM »
The Gargoyles of Barda are an often overlooked Dogs of War unit. They are tough and they can fly.  I cannot wait to see yours painted up.  steveb

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Thanks guys. I thought you would like the kitbashed galloper.
And yeah, I agree Steve, the Gargoyles are often overlooked. I am sure I will paint these guys one day.
At the moment, I am more trying to focus on assembling to reduce space, and then will come around to painting another day..... that said, I am more interested in painting than assembling at the moment, so lets see what I end up painting....

In the meantime, I thought I would share my scratch built / converted / kitbashed Coven Throne / Mortis Engine, because I never really liked the new massive ones...

Now for a Coven Throne, just add lahmian vampires...

And for a Mortis Engine, I had an 'Arc' type thing from a miniature I picked up a while back. I figure I put that on there, and a Necromancer, and away we go!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Very nice bunch of conversions, particularly the last one. Still considering how to DIY a Mortis Engine so good to see new ideas.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Great conversions - the galloper guns were some of the first models my friend bought (and so some of the first models I've ever seen) all those years ago. I really like your take on them - using the Organ Gun bits was very clever! I also used that fat Bret body for a conversion, there's just not enough fat people in warhammer  :biggriin:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Fantastic conversations! I really like the multiuse mortis/coven throne. The mini arc piece in particular looks good.

The Lahmian vamps are just daemonettes aren't they?

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Nice. Where do you get your thin plastic wheels? I particularly like the galloper gun.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Very nice bunch of conversions, particularly the last one. Still considering how to DIY a Mortis Engine so good to see new ideas.

Thanks. Yeah, I know its not especially fancy. But I hate the size of the GW models - so huge. I had some of those bits from the 40k terrain, and really wanted to do something with them. I On the back, I have an Empire banner hanging, and towards the bottom I used one of those skull pieces from the Arcane Ruins.
Its not pictured well, but I put a flagellant with 2 bells in between the horses, to represent the banshee effect that one (or both) of the enchanted chariots has.

Great conversions - the galloper guns were some of the first models my friend bought (and so some of the first models I've ever seen) all those years ago. I really like your take on them - using the Organ Gun bits was very clever! I also used that fat Bret body for a conversion, there's just not enough fat people in warhammer  :biggriin:

Thanks! Yeah, all the other barrels were too big for what is supposed to be a small calibre mobile field gun. I haven't assembled whats left of the Organ gun yet though.... ::heretic::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
The Lahmian vamps are just daemonettes aren't they?

Correct. With a breastpiece added to the other side, and high elf archer legs. And Wood Elf hands or the empire militia gloved dagger hands.
I have a unit of 20 I made, as stand-in ghouls (I don't like the ghoul models)

Nice. Where do you get your thin plastic wheels? I particularly like the galloper gun.

Tomb King Chariots.
Thanks! Me too. Its great when a model just comes together how you want it to.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:25:23 AM by Warlord »

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)

Thanks. Yeah, I know its not especially fancy. But I hate the size of the GW models - so huge.
You can really tell with the newer models that they want to fit their monsters on chariot bases for playability, but keep running out of ground area and design them to be absurdly tall instead. Compare

and

I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
@ Warlord: Excellent conversion! And very efficient too.

@ Patsy: Very true that. Which underpins GW's  stated aim of being a model, not a gaming company.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Warlord's wandering wonderings - Goblin conversion into...?
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
@ Warlord: Excellent conversion! And very efficient too.

Thank you  :happy:

@ Patsy - spot on. Their model for it is huge. I only like having 1 or 2 huge models in an army, and I already bought the Terrorgheist.

In the mean time, I have started some work on these guys... been sitting in my to do pile for a while.
Any guesses what they will be?

Maybe to go with this one in the same army...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 01:28:56 AM »
No guesses? No heroes 3 fans out there?

Some Gremlins and a Naga. Based on these guys:

I may use those Gargoyles too. I have a plan for Magi. I have an inkling for something for Golems, and I have 3 Genies for an Araby army I was going to make.... I will need something for a Titan....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:41:09 PM by Warlord »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
OMG! The nags! Awesome. I loved this game and I completely drew a blank. This screenshot brings back pleasant memories.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.