home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 527246 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #5525 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
Not sure if this is in the wrong thread because it ends with starting with a whole new start. The unhappy part is almost everything I’ve thought I was working towards has/ is ending. It’s extremely liberating in one sense to have very little to be attached too as 28 years of life, family and all associated stuff disappears. I really don’t think I have the heart to continue the hobby anymore. I’m going to pack all the crap up again and contemplate selling it all. The house we're going to has a 5x11 room that I’m pretty sure I can finish to an every square inch used to the max and maybe I will but I’m going to reduce everything to storage boxes and think pretty hard about it. None of my old pre Warhammer gaming stuff seems to make sense anymore so it’s heading for the dump. All my fathers train stuff and modelling stuff (where I got the bug from) has been taken apart and dismantled to be sold off or trashed. We all have to go thru it eventually so it’s all good. I just find I want nothing to remind me of the life here  which was hard but healthy and will start fresh in November.
Artoban ... don't give up entirely on the hobby.  Take life one day at a time, which I know is a bit cliche, but it works.  If you put your hobby to one side for a bit, you'll have to come back to after the current moments are moved through.  Life is too short for throwing out the best parts.  Hang in there, and go slow, don't do anything out of anger with your current situation.  Do what the current situation requires in moving, downsizing, etc., although don't over react.  You'll be ok, and be glad your hobby things that are saved until a better time are available when you want them again.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5526 on: October 22, 2018, 12:47:33 AM »
I'm with GP. There's never anything wrong with packing things up and storing them, even for a long time if need be. I hope your doing good over there.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5527 on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
I would store, Artobahn. Maybe weed out some stuff (if I wasnt a bit of a hoarder) but definitely store. There could be joy in returning later. If you like the hobby now, then chances are you would like it then too. It is a form of creative escapism of an utterly harmless kind.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5528 on: October 22, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Sounds like a pretty massive change Artoban. I'm sorry to hear such great stuff is going, but sometimes a fresh start in life really is what is needed.

Thanks Gankom 😺 I’m thinking it’s a good time for a restart. Everything g seems to be falling into sync so it’s a good time to go with the flow. I had a good talk with my son yesterday and we sorted the only things he wanted to keep Warhammer and the soldier collection lol and some old gaming consoles. Everything else out. That made it easier and I’ll make another attempt at hobby but not for a few months.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5529 on: October 22, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
You can't be getting rid of all your Orks?  Nor the Guard figures?  Nor your scenery? :icon_eek:

And I presume the Warhammer figures and soldiers include the ones used with Lion/Dragon Rampant, hopefully.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5530 on: October 22, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
Unfortunately some scenery including the new ‘bamboo’ roof fiasco but all army’s are coming. All my old rules books 6,7,8 are going as well as all codexes 6,7,8 fantasy/40k books as well. Have an unused dreadfleet that will find its way to eBay as well. Of my other than Warhammer book collection, all is going save ‘the forgotten soldier’ and my Steven Erickson collection. Even my tintin books and lovecraft collection.

Thanks for your advice Padre and GP, Gankom. Didn’t see the last posts for some reason. I will store my collection but the wedding will take place. I have a ‘paradise lost’ coffee table book Feanor and his love of classics might like.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:21:56 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5531 on: October 23, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
Make sure you don't confuse objects/things that make you happy with the current house where you are happy.

If you are having to get used to new different 'reduced' circumstances, the comfort of hobby items that you love can be a great boost.
Of course there will be stuff in your collection that doesn't hold a special place, but don't let something go you may regret - however small the new place, there's room for a well packaged box or two.

……….. and who knows fortunes may change and in 6 months, a year or even 5 years you might be in a whole new situation where your toys can come out to play again.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5532 on: October 23, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
To Midaski ... and Artoban ... :::cheers:::

Don't give up the ship hobby :icon_exclaim: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5533 on: October 23, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »
I don't think I could ever part with any of my armies. I don't get to use them much with my current work schedule but I could never part with any of them. I don't think I've used my Skaven and Necrons forces more than once since assembling them but I could never part with them as they all mean so much to me
Toys on the other hand? eBay is helping me laugh all the way to the bank

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5534 on: October 23, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
Thanks guys! I have to admit I was feeling pretty low and on second thoughts I will hang on to the armies.  I will purge all the old books though thinking existing square base - T9, AoS easily accessible, dragon and lion  rampart, easily workable and all the new 40k I havnt even explored. All games currently supported which I find I really need. I’ll store everything at the shop at work and see about building a new room with the little space available. A new challenge a few months away. Just 8 days to get the equivalent of 2 homes dismantled. If I still drank, the rum would be flowing😸
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5535 on: October 23, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
Yes!  Saving the minis and rules you're likely to use, that is a wise move. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5536 on: October 25, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »
Whilst walking my dog through a park in the low income area of town, we discovered a dead terrier in a stinking bog. The poor thing had been stabbed repeatedly.  :Ohmy:
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear the welfare dependant peasantry who inhabit the area had sacrificed the poor animal to the great unclean one. Too bad there isn't an inquisitor in the local yellow pages who can deal with that sort of heresy.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5537 on: October 25, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Dunkin Donuts changed their name to Dunkins, and stopped selling chocolate covered coffee rolls! :icon_eek: :icon_sad:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:52:14 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5538 on: October 26, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
Dunkin Donuts changed their name to Dunkins

WHY?

Even I know the name of that chain and I'm probably a few thousand miles away from the nearest one. Seems like destruction of your own legacy to me. Next you know it they'll try to pull a 'New Coke'.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #5539 on: October 30, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
Woke up to find my name scratch from the doorbell, and instead "AfD". Worst part I live in one of the most open minded cities in Germany.  I support the right to have your political views, but things like this show that extreme ideology is not always followed by the smartest people.

AfD = Conservative anti immigration party in Germany.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5540 on: October 30, 2018, 12:33:05 PM »
I just bought a Vikers tank kit [the specific version, I cannot recall of the top of my head]. Not only was it a nightmare to assemble as the instructions were misprinted and hard to follow but the plastic was cheap, warped in numerous places and I discovered tonight that I'd put the wheel bogies on the wrong way around

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5541 on: October 30, 2018, 02:22:34 PM »
Dunkin Donuts changed their name to Dunkins
WHY?
Good question.

Even I know the name of that chain and I'm probably a few thousand miles away from the nearest one. Seems like destruction of your own legacy to me. Next you know it they'll try to pull a 'New Coke'.
They did that many years ago. They switched to no cholesterol in their donuts.  The yumminess changed over night.

There is nothing like a best tasting high octane cholesterol chocked full donut.

The idea that they're giving up on chocolate covered and maple covered coffee rolls, total crud.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:52:42 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5542 on: October 30, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
Woke up to find my name scratch from the doorbell, and instead "AfD".

Such a cowardly punk move.

I just bought a Vikers tank kit [the specific version, I cannot recall of the top of my head]. Not only was it a nightmare to assemble as the instructions were misprinted and hard to follow but the plastic was cheap, warped in numerous places and I discovered tonight that I'd put the wheel bogies on the wrong way around

What brand was the kit from?
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5543 on: October 30, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Quote bawtrm: Quote from: Realjuan on Today at 12:17:51 PM
Woke up to find my name scratch from the doorbell, and instead "AfD".

Such a cowardly punk move.

Extreme cowardice.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5544 on: October 30, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
So ... I talked with the local location for Dunkin Donuts about the story I heard with them discontinuing butternut donuts.

They said the lady I heard that from didn't know what she was talking about.  They said that there was an issue with the way they were making them that had to be fixed before they could continue.

Good news is they are still making them. Cahcoo! :icon_biggrin:

Bad news is some lady actually told me they weren't?  Reminds me of how stories can get so twisted beyond the original meaning.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #5545 on: October 31, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
Woke up to find my name scratch from the doorbell, and instead "AfD". Worst part I live in one of the most open minded cities in Germany.  I support the right to have your political views, but things like this show that extreme ideology is not always followed by the smartest people.

AfD = Conservative anti immigration party in Germany.

Such people are so sad... I feel pity for them that they have a brain the size of a peanut..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5546 on: November 01, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
Is there a term or phrase for when an artist looks upon their own art and then instantly hates it and rips it to shreds?

I am writing an overview for my novel for nation novel writing month and I feel that way right now.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5547 on: November 01, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is one of the most normal responses to your own art ever. I feel that way about 100% of my painting, 98% of my writing, and generally about anything else creative I do.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5548 on: November 01, 2018, 05:09:26 PM »
 I got half way through a novel several years ago but then got stuck re-re-re-writing existing bits. The story I had in my head, I just lost confidence in the writing. I read some of if recently, however, and it seemed fine. Better than fine. I think the feeling of hatred is to do with the fact that you have just been working closely with a piece.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5549 on: November 01, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
Yep, stepping away for a little bit could work wonders! :::cheers:::