home

Author Topic: How to Celebrate 40 Years of Warhammer Fantasy ???  (Read 1259 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
How to Celebrate 40 Years of Warhammer Fantasy ???
« on: March 05, 2023, 06:50:53 PM »
How would you like to see Warhammer-Empire celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Warhammer Fantasy ?

Warhammer Fantasy was born as a game, created by Bryan Ansell, Richard Halliwell, and Rick Priestley, and first published by the Games Workshop in 1983.  Hard to believe, although now in 2023 it is 40 years later!

We're considering the concept of celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Warhammer Fantasy.

And we're wondering what ideas you might have for this to occur :icon_question:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: How to Celebrate 40 Years of Warhammer Fantasy ???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 08:47:38 AM »
Who are the 'we' in here?

Why even ask? You paint fantasy figurines and play your favourite (fan) editions of Warhammer with your friends!

Over here, I'm playing more Warhammer Fantasy than ever, and our club will organize several megabattles over the year. There's even a new national 6th ed tournament league, as if 20 years were washed away. More painting too. I'm participating in a painting challenge where I'm painting 1000+ pts classic Dogs of War, and also need to beef up my Empire and Dwarfs a bit.

The autumn this year marks my 15 years of continuous hobby with Warhammer Fantasy and miniatures in general. Haven't decided what to do, but surely something fun will come about. One way to celebrate could be to paint my 1500th miniature this year, but while not impossible, I'm not gonna press that.

Finally, who knows if GW is bringing back WH:tOW this year, to celebrate the 40 years themselves? Likely not July, but maybe December? Would be a surprise, but you never know.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 04:31:31 AM »
"We" are Warhammer-Empire. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

I'm asking, because I am considering some items to organize for W-E.

Not sure we can have a tournament here.  Maybe a painting contest.

This is my 15th year since starting at W-E and starting Warhammer, and its the 15th anniversary of the start of the Pleasant Surprises events that went on for 5 years in a row.  However, I bought my first Warhammer miniature in 1984 or 1985 ... some 38 or 39 years ago.  I'm celebrating Warhammer's 40th by giving consideration to how Warhammer-Empire might celebrate as a community.

We don't know if GW is bringing Warhammer: The Old World this year or not, although that isn't surprising.  However, after multiple articles on their site, and a move into the old world via video game that parallels with the articles, it's hard to believe they won't bring it along for release at some point, and sooner rather than later.  Yet I'm not here to debate that, and I digress.

Instead I'm advocating getting this site ship shape, celebrating 40 years of Warhammer, and considering some ideas for celebrating the 40th anniversary accordingly. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:24:26 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 09:34:15 AM »
I can see the excitement is brimming over the edge on this.

:engel: :icon_lol:

Offline Hams Fan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 11:19:07 AM »
I think a painting competition would be a great idea and maybe somewhere to share any celebration or event for this

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 02:51:17 AM »
Maybe a painting contest, perhaps a new edition of the "Pleasant Surprises" threads.  However, still trying to sort out some things here first before moving on to another time consuming item.

Threads can share celebrations or events here in this area of the W-E fourms by putting up a thread.  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 04:11:14 PM »
A new edition of pleasant surprise would be nice

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 12:17:33 AM »
I'm going to get through an upcoming convention that I do GMing, organize a mini tourney, and do volunteer work with as well.

Then I will review previous pleasant surprise methods and see what might be drummed up accordingly.