home

Author Topic: Thoughts on human race in AoS?  (Read 10129 times)

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
Thoughts on human race in AoS?
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:30:35 AM »
Hey lads, I was wondering what you thought mankind's future is in AoS. If the Sigmarines aren't our only human options what do you hope to see come out of the eight realms?

For my own wish-listing, I'm hoping we see a heavy Roman aesthetic go to the new Empire. Sigmar's Legion.

My thoughts are that they kept order throughout the realms before the coming of Chaos and that they drew troops (auxiliaries) from each realm. Wargame-wise, I'm thinking of them fielding war elephants made of bronze from the metal realm and amazons with life-blessed arrows from the life realm and so on. On the future campaign for AoS, this force is determined to reconquer each realm back from Chaos and reunite with their lost legionnaires.

What are you fellows thinking we might be seeing?
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Thoughts on human race in AoS?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »
I would hate a Roman aesthetics more than I hate the sigmarines
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
Wow, wasn't expecting that for the first reply. :laugh:

So, German or bust then?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »
I gather that the humans have been suffering from centuries or even millenia of Chaos suppression. Compared to them, shoeless Stirlanders must seem lavishly and luxuriously equipped.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »
Very true, but we don't know how large the realms are really (those most things point to around the size of a planet). As the old world showed, it isn't easy, even for chaos, to overwhelm a planet with competant soldiers defending it. There's always the chance of hidden holdouts as well.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »
Currently, I have more the impression of "a Planet of the Apes" where roaming bands of humans are allowed to scratch out a meagre existence, because they are being kept as game. No doubt, some will try to escape in woods, caves and other hideouts, but

"In such condition there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain, and consequently, no culture of the earth, no navigation, nor the use of commodities that may be imported by sea, no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force, no knowledge of the face of the earth, no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society, and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

Of course, the fluffbook may change that impression.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:20:50 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
Oh, is that part of the leaked fluff? If so, thanks for telling me. :smile2:

Anyway, there's still free people in Sigmar's realm. Do you think they might become a new human faction?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:33:37 AM »
Alas, given slipping standards of general knowledge, I am not sure whether you are being ironic or not. The quote is from "Leviathan" by Thomas Hobbes. 

Offline Deuce

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
Bah, Fidelis ninjad me just as I was about to show off my own general knowledge  :x  :-P

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »
The roman aesthetic is just not something I'm interested in for GW figures.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
I had a sense of Deja Vu when reading some of the WD fluff about Sigmar uniting the realms, and him uniting the tribes.

As far as I know we have no idea how the 'new humans' will, if at all, be represented.

Savages, Romans, Medieval, Renaissance .......20k ....... 30K ............... 35k   :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »
The intro video from Last Saturday showed warrior priests and the War Altar with a new paint job, more in line with the Stormcasts, and a new paint job for Flagellants.  No state troops though, nothing with puff and slash or Knights.   And the Warscrolls decribe Empire as Free People, so I guess there are bands of flagellants led by priests, and the heroes of these free people, when they die are turned into the Stormcast Eternals by Sigmar.   If there is a new Imperial Guard army to go with the Sigmarines, all worshipping the Emperor, as free people, then I would expect a completely new look from either arthurian medieveal or renaissance.    At this point I couldn't say if or when we'll know more.  The Bif fluff book goes on preorder tomorrow, so I reckon sometime next week we'll start hearing about that

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
Alas, given slipping standards of general knowledge, I am not sure whether you are being ironic or not. The quote is from "Leviathan" by Thomas Hobbes.

Maybe he was thinking it could be from Dr. Zaius
You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
So, German or bust then?

It's not that gunpowder Romans can't be cool (for they absolutely are), but that they're not the Empire.

Bah, Fidelis ninjad me just as I was about to show off my own general knowledge

Blah, I as well. It's only the most famous passage Hobbes ever wrote...

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
Wow, wasn't expecting that for the first reply. :laugh:

So, German or bust then?

Haven't you heard? Because GW can't copyright anything historical they wont bother making a historical aesthetic. Which is why everything is going to be "chaosified" aesthetic or copied from other miniature companies like the sigmarines were copied from mantic.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
The Sigmarines' faceplates make me think of Roman cavalry sport helmets.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
I think it's very likely we'll still see a huge variation from the general humans. What little fluff we have suggests the new worlds are all pretty massive. Maybe there's pockets of resistance and different civilizations scattered around. IT would make sense for GW, that way they could make whatever kind of model they want.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »
I believe they will probably repack some of old Empire model range with new bases and rewrite the fluff and create new Warscrolls for them. Released later this year as one of the Battalions.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
Most rumours indicate that the old models will be phased out once stocks are cleared.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 03:56:24 PM »
The new templey terrain has sculpts of humans on it. The horseman resembles a Roman auxillary horseman. The shields of the Sigmarines, and the leather strapped loincloth (heck one guy even has a cape made from leather straps) seem to fit the asthetic too. Even before I read this thread, I had imagined Roman style was a strong possibility.

The term, Age of Myth, would also possibly lead itself to a sort of Greek/Roman theme. You just never know though.

"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
To be sung to the tune of „Halls of Montezuma“:

On the walls of mighty Middenheim
On the shores of river Reik
We had our fluff to choose from
To each as he did like.
Our puffy sleevéd heroes stood
With their slippers, guns and steel
Now they all have vanished, were replaced
By some golden Sigmarines.

Our banners graced the tabletop
Waved in Averland and Nuln.
Our cannons roared, our steeds galloped
To the defense of the realm.
Whether facing Orcs or Skaven scum
Our courage was pristine.
But our Empire has been despoiled
Just to sell some Sigmarines.

We have played the game for years with glee
But it’s over, said and done.
Measuring ‘staches is not Warhammer
We don’t want this sort of “fun”.
Now a bunch of clowns have ruined it all
Worse than anyone could dream:
We are stuck with stupid bubbleworlds
And the fucking Sigmarines.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

(No hope for a human faction then?)

Offline Derg

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
 :eusa_clap: EEFL

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
(No hope for a human faction then?)

Well, the Sigmarines are human. But I would not be surprised to see a 4K Imperial Guard (or whatever they are called now), as the Sigmarines are reconquering terrain. At least, I am assuming that future releases will be about opening more Realmgates by the Sigmarines, and they would need some other force to hold the terrain gained and protect their backs. 

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 09:08:30 PM »
Well, the Sigmarines are human.
Are they?
I thought the fluff suggested they had been heroes but their souls/spirits had been formed into some sort of 'angel'?

But I would not be surprised to see a 4K Imperial Guard (or whatever they are called now), as the Sigmarines are reconquering terrain. At least, I am assuming that future releases will be about opening more Realmgates by the Sigmarines, and they would need some other force to hold the terrain gained and protect their backs.

Hang on that plot line sounds familiar ............ umm         something 40k ish ................ Oh yes some Dark Crusade.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?