home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 85717 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 08:17:46 AM »
The Great Gatsby. Incredible book and I love every, single page of it.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2016, 01:33:17 AM »
In Ireland, I found a small book at an old book store titled "General's letters to his son on obtaining his commission" from 1918. I'm interested to read the advice.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
So I listened to the audiobook (it's almost the same as reading) of Remdezvous with Rama by Aethur C. Clarke. It's better than most space sci-fi stories I'm used to these days. I'm kinda starting to think that Star Wars has ruined space sci-fi and real life culture to some degree.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »

I really don't like it, but I'm glad you do. :::cheers:::

I'm reading All Quiet on the Western Front.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »

I really don't like it, but I'm glad you do. :::cheers:::

To be honest, I've only decided to read it, after seeing the movie. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
I decided to never watch the movie because I disliked the book so much. :icon_lol:

not together.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »

How did you fit the book in your house? Did the forklift leave tracks on the carpet?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2016, 10:54:59 AM »
I remmber the movie but never read the book. Ernest Borgnine and the waltons guy were the actors I think.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »
How did you fit the book in your house? Did the forklift leave tracks on the carpet?

It's not that big, like 300 pages.  Did I get an abridged version and not know it? :unsure:

I remmber the movie but never read the book. Ernest Borgnine and the waltons guy were the actors I think.

I saw the movie a while ago and really wasn't that fond of it.  I was a youth though, and probably didn't get what was trying to be said.  I haven't watched it in so long.  I had the book for a really long time and never gave it a shot.  I even tried to sell it in a yard sale and it didn't sell.  My wife went to take the book to a used book store and they wouldn't take it because it was so beat up.  So then, after all that I've sat down and started to read it.  It's very good so far, about half way through.

not together.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »
All quiet is short iirc.

Great book.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2016, 01:18:24 AM »
It's not that big, like 300 pages.  Did I get an abridged version and not know it? :unsure:

I made a mistake. For some reason I was thinking of War and Peace, which is like 1,300+ Pages.

Have you seen the 1930s movie of all is quiet on the western front?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:31 AM »
I'm kinda starting to think that Star Wars has ruined space sci-fi and real life culture to some degree.

Howso?

Also, finally, after 2.5 weeks by book depository order came in. I can finally start on book 4 of the conqueror series (Genghis Khan - conn igguldan).
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2016, 07:49:19 AM »
I'm kinda starting to think that Star Wars has ruined space sci-fi and real life culture to some degree.

Howso?

Also, finally, after 2.5 weeks by book depository order came in. I can finally start on book 4 of the conqueror series (Genghis Khan - conn igguldan).

I mostly think that Star Wars is all about style over substance in storytelling. I also saw on the news the other day that some local Kendo club is now a Jedi fencing club because samurais are too obscure compared to Star Wars now. So now I'm starting to think that Star Wars is slowly replacing other cultural elements in some decadent manner.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
I made a mistake. For some reason I was thinking of War and Peace, which is like 1,300+ Pages.

Have you seen the 1930s movie of all is quiet on the western front?

Ah, gotcha.  I'm not really all that interested in trying War and Peace.  I've seen the movie a long time ago.  Didn't like it at the time, but after reading the book I think I missed the meaning in my first viewing.

not together.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
I mostly think that Star Wars is all about style over substance in storytelling. I also saw on the news the other day that some local Kendo club is now a Jedi fencing club because samurais are too obscure compared to Star Wars now. So now I'm starting to think that Star Wars is slowly replacing other cultural elements in some decadent manner.

Perhaps. I never really saw it that way, but I read the EU when they were fresh. Rogue squadron was good storytelling. I think that helped. I can definitely see it like that nowdays though. I think prequels did that actually. Hmmm.
The kendo thing is ridiculous though. Who doesn't love samurai!?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »

Perhaps. I never really saw it that way, but I read the EU when they were fresh. Rogue squadron was good storytelling. I think that helped. I can definitely see it like that nowdays though. I think prequels did that actually. Hmmm.

I'm probably just overreacting. But I do like sci-fi a whole more as a genre when it's not fairy tales in space.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »

I'm probably just overreacting. But I do like sci-fi a whole more as a genre when it's not fairy tales in space.

I agree. That's why I've always liked 40K more than SW. :-P

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »
I think Star Trek is heading that way now too.
The Sci part of sci-fi certain is light on the science now days.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »
40k is more like in the realm of metal album covers the setting than actual sci-fi. :closed-eyes:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
40k is more like in the realm of metal album covers the setting than actual sci-fi. :closed-eyes:

I honestly think that it has more to do with fantasy than sci-fi. Star Trek is a sci-fi. 40K is a cocaine-laced ride through hell with heavy metal blasting through your earphones.

Also Samurai are awesome. Period.

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »

I honestly think that it has more to do with fantasy than sci-fi. Star Trek is a sci-fi. 40K is a cocaine-laced ride through hell with heavy metal blasting through your earphones.

I agree 100% with everything in this post.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
Star Trek is a sci-fi.

Is it though anymore?

Surely we can all agree on that.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
Didn't Lucas initially want Toshiro Mifune to play Obi Kenobi? I think I read that somewhere.

Would have made for quite a different movie.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »
[quote 40K is a cocaine-laced ride through hell with heavy metal blasting through your earphones

This is funny and true!! I love 40k books. Counts for at least 80% of my reading lately. Always liked sci-fi. Used to really like Asimov and the foundation series. Just loved them and it's psychohistory 😀
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2016, 10:33:02 PM »
I actually wish that they still made the Warhammer Monthly comics, since 40k has such striking visuals. Bloodquest was probably the best 40k story in that publication.