home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305547 times)

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
Re: 40K
« Reply #1200 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:49 PM »
On a different subject: what does a conversion beamer look like? How would you go about representing one?

Type 'Conversion Beamer' into Google, and you will be able to see lots of images of one.

You could also try finding pictures of the Master of the Forge, who can be equipped with this weapon.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1201 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
Can grey knights take a bike mount for their conversion beamer carrier?  With Space Marines, their Master of the Forge works best with a conversion beamer on a bike, to keep the distance as high as possible.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
« Reply #1202 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
Can grey knights take a bike mount for their conversion beamer carrier?

Not that I can see.

The Techmarine appears to be the only model which can be equipped with the Conversion Beamer, and he cannot be mounted on a bike.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1203 on: July 07, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
Is it worth buying the walky talky's for IG squads?

How do people tend to kit out the company command squads? I'm tempted to have 2 bs4 lascannons, but I guess this is a juicy expensive target which is very easy to kill.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1204 on: July 08, 2011, 05:17:03 AM »
I think I am naturally unlucky with my chaos dreadnaughts.

You really should use them as CC Beasts combined with a crab or two with extra claws.

That is one heavy psychological factor.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1205 on: July 08, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »
Hmmm I donīt think the vox are worth it for IG keep em cheap.

well you can hand the command group one lascannon and stick em in a chimera (always better).

I usually give them nothing but a lascannon and a melter. sticking them in a chimera and playing firebrigade should something armoured break through...oh and I like to field two of those...but as I have only played 3 games I am not someone you want to ask what he likes.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #1206 on: July 08, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
Can grey knights take a bike mount for their conversion beamer carrier?  With Space Marines, their Master of the Forge works best with a conversion beamer on a bike, to keep the distance as high as possible.

The Ordo xenos inquisitor can also get it. Yum yum, cheap :D

Is it worth buying the walky talky's for IG squads?

How do people tend to kit out the company command squads? I'm tempted to have 2 bs4 lascannons, but I guess this is a juicy expensive target which is very easy to kill.
Depends on your army build.
If you are playing gunline, then they are good, but since heavy weapon squads can't get radios, its kinda wasted.
I usually play mechanized veterans and radios are useful to secure the important order going through at a critical moment, this of course means that the commander has to be close.
Therefore, I usually equip my command with 3 plasmas and a medic (no room for the radio), so no they arent worth it, I trust in the Emperor. :P

My friend who plays Death Korps of Krieg use the radios a lot! He has a normal command and a horsy command and their orders just boost the line so much. This is especially so because of the ability Krieg has to combine normal squads with heavy weapon squads, so that the heavy weapons have radios.
He also uses "Get back into the fight" very well!

Oh and you can only have one heavy weapon, so no two lascannons for you!
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1207 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
Maybe I can make a psylencer into a conversion beamer by changing the muzzle for something else? I looked at various images (and the line drawing in the army book) but I'm still not clear on what it's meant to look like.

Well, if you want a stronger list then here is what I see you need to change:

The dreadnought needs 2 autocannons and psybolts instead of its current weaponry.

The henchmen squad with one melta needs additional 2 meltas.

The one group with 5 crusaders needs to be cut down, 2 is usually enough.
I dont see what the daemon host is doing. In my mind you need a lot of them to do some real damage.

Exchange the incinie on the interceptors with a psycannon. This gives you some more anti tank by shunting to the read of a tank and letting loose.

Thanks for the advice!

There are some model issues here though. Firstly, I bought a squad of ten metal grey knights on ebay... but it has two incinerators and one psycannon. I have one box of the plastic ones also, but since I can only have three heavy weapons in total I am stuck with the incinerators.

So is it better to have the psycannon on the interceptors and two incinerators on the strike squad?

Likewise, an autocannon dreadnought is difficult to obtain. As are extra meltaguns for my guardsmen. Crusaders were easy (free company with swords and shields) as were the death cult (dogs of war vesparo's vendetta!).

I included the demonhost because they are cool! I can see from their rules that they aren't up to much.

What do people use for psychic henchmen? They are supposed to be rogues, so the imperial guard ones are no good (and would look silly in groups anyway).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #1208 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »
Oooh well use the models that you want to use :)
Regarding the incinies and psycannons, I rarely use incinies so i would put 2 psycannons in the strike squad. The strike squads are supposed to be 24" away from the enemy, unless you have a juicy target to charge so a flamethrower wouldnt be that optimal.
The strike squad can use the incinie better with their shunt move, just like with the psycannon :) So that is your choice ;)

One of my friends are using the sanctioned psykers. They are made for the IG psyker battle squad so why not ours. I dont think they "have" to be rouge psykers?

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1209 on: July 08, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »
I think I have some plastic meltagun bits I can send you Rufus. They're from SM sprues, but they should still work for guardsmen. Let me know if you want them.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1210 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
Regarding the incinies and psycannons, I rarely use incinies so i would put 2 psycannons in the strike squad. The strike squads are supposed to be 24" away from the enemy, unless you have a juicy target to charge so a flamethrower wouldnt be that optimal.

Maybe I can replace the metal incinerators with psycannons somehow? I'll have to see when my models show up from ebay. But I suspect it will be awkward.

I don't like the sanctioned psychics because they are all in the same pose. A unit of them would look silly!

I think I have some plastic meltagun bits I can send you Rufus. They're from SM sprues, but they should still work for guardsmen. Let me know if you want them.

Yes please! That would be great!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1211 on: July 08, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
@Finley,

In my experience, the vox network doesn't seem worthwhile.  But I always forget my orders.  If you use heavy weapon squads, that would be the best use of "fire on my target" and "bring it down" but they cant get voxes... So its a bit meh really.

Can you have two lascannons in one squad?  I didn't think you could when I read it!  I normally tool my command units up with special weapons.  I always take 4 of any given type, either melta, flamer or plasma.  I always take power firsts on my company and platoon commanders, as initiative 3 pretty much strikes last all the time anyway.

@Rufus

A twin autocannon dreadnaught can be easily obtained from forge world if you feel like stumping up some cash.  As can meltagun and plasmagun guardsmen.  Expensive though.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1212 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
if you feel like stumping up some cash.

That's the problem: I never do!

Also I don't want resin stuff.
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1213 on: July 08, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
I really like forge world stuff, even though it is resin :)  I own 3 dreadnaughts, 2 guard artillery pieces, a khorne lord, two spacemarine cruisers and a titan engiseer from there, the detail is exceptional compared to the GW official models, and I have never had an issue with them being miscast.

What is your issue with resin Rufus? 

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1214 on: July 08, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
I am hopelessly conservative and don't like unfamiliar things!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1215 on: July 08, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
Well I am Conservative [both big and small C] and I quite like the Forge world models.  You have to do a fair amount of actual modelling, something a lot of the new GW models seem to have removed by making their models fit together properly!

I can honestly say I am withholding any conclusions on finecast till I see a model.  As it is, I have no interest in buying any of the finecast models at the moment [although I have always wanted a cockatrice] so this may be a while.

All the forge world dreadnaught models are really sexy.  I have three chaos ones [two emperors children and one word bearers] a friend of mine has a grey knights one, along with two regular GW dreadnaughts, and it is amazing just how much better the resin models are.

Sure it is a carcinogenic, but I have no interest in grinding it up and snorting the resin cut-offs, nor am I intending on eating it!

If I wasn't poor, I would buy loads more stuff from Forge World.  It urinates all over GW kits.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #1216 on: July 08, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
I don't really want to use heavy weapons squads- because don't they get evaporated instantly by anything over str 6?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #1217 on: July 09, 2011, 08:01:03 AM »
Thats why you put them in cover and go to ground.
Then in your turn you give them the order to get back in the fight and they will shoot :D

I usually use vendettas for lascannon support while my heavy weapon squads supply some autocannons and heavy bolters, thus also presenting a smaller threat to the enemy.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1218 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
The only heavy weapon teams I use have mortars. Very cheap and cheerful, and exceptionally useful for their cost. Autocannons are my HW of choice for my regular squads.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #1219 on: July 09, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
Oh yes, i cant believe i forgot the mortars. They are excellent for grapping the home objective and freeing the rest of the army for the offensive. They rawk!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1220 on: July 09, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
Thanks to Dwhitey's generosity I now have loads of inquisitors and henchmen!

Plus also my grey knights and cadians arrvived from ebay. So my 40K collection stands at something like this:

10 grey knights (2 psycannons, after some minor conversion)
5 grey knight teleporty guys (incinerator)
1 grey knight terminator (may be a character model, I'm not sure)

12 metal cadians (one has a missile launcher, which sadly I can't use in this army)
1 Mordian captain

inquisitor Coteaz
3 other inquisitors!

4 stormtroopers
plasma gun acolyte guy
weird cherub thing (not sure what to count this as: mystic? demonhost?)
servitor (well, he's a sort of cyborg secretary thing, I think)
5 servo skulls (one proper one, four I made from random plastic skulls)

xenotech gunbot servitor
2 demonhosts
5 crusaders
5 death cult assassins
a mystic or psychic or priest. Undecided which he looks most like
random space marine captain (could use him as a warrior acolyte with power armour and bolter)

So, I have loads of stuff! Still need 5 terminators and a vindicare assassin. Oh, and a couple of transports I suppose. And I want a mordian squad too. Also a dreadnought.

Quote from: Crimsonsphinx
All the forge world dreadnaught models are really sexy.  I have three chaos ones [two emperors children and one word bearers] a friend of mine has a grey knights one, along with two regular GW dreadnaughts, and it is amazing just how much better the resin models are.

Forge world do have some nice stuff. I'm still scared of resin though.
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1221 on: July 09, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
@Finlay

What you have to remember Finlay is if someone is shooting heavy weapons at your heavy weapon squads in cover, they are not shooting your tanks!

You should IMO always fill up your heavy support with tanks.  Doesn't matter what you take, but fill it up.  Even if its bare bones Russ tanks.  I usually take a Collossus, Manticore and a Russ, or a Collossus and two Russes in any games of 1500 or more points.  Heavy weapon teams come from troops, so can capture objectives unlike devastators.

If you are feeling especially beardy, you can deploy them behind another squads dedicated chimera, jump in it on turn one, drive the chimera to a fire point, and from turn 2 you can unleash a battery of long ranged fire from the relative safety of a chimera.

@Rufus

If you dont know what a model is, you can use it as different things until you decide what it is best to be :)  You just need a squad or two of terminators to fill your army out.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1222 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Count as Bloodthirster...  :icon_twisted:

My hood is my castle...

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1223 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »
 :eusa_clap:

nice one....now paint it.....or let it be painted.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1224 on: July 12, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
What models are being used there?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra