home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305543 times)

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
Re: 40K
« Reply #1650 on: September 07, 2011, 04:20:28 AM »
hmm I've currently got a 2500 pt list in mind,  which I have a pair of rhino's and a land raider Crusader with the multimelta turret major anti infantry.  It's the list I posted a page or so ago, for 1600 points my philosophy would still be to close distance super quick with all kinds of bang bang while closing and then maul you in close combat.  1600 pts might not have room for big ugly characters but drop podding a rune priest with the "world wolf" rune magic on a line of lots of juicy troops is just what that psychic power was made for. 

Gun lines are all about trying to get your opponent to charge right down the middle of a line of dug in troops, I tend to try not to do that.  It just seems to me to be a really good way to get all shot up.  For that matter against a gun line presuming I knew I was going to be facing one I might just bring wolf scouts which are not the pansy newbs that most marine scouts are but rather well grizzled killers adept at hiding and killing with impunity.   

about drop pods so far as I remember after they land they count as cover and OPEN so therefore they can be assaulted from.  as well as any impact or missile hits coming from them.  I'd love to do the 5 minigun drop pods but SW's don't have those rules officially.  Official rules aren't going to stop me from making a space wolf baneblade, valkyries, land speeder storm, Storm raven (renamed on Fenris as a Hugin class Thunder hawk) or for that matter creating a special class of Fenrisian non standard Predator like unto the Baal class predator. 

For that matter the wolves are known for cooperating with the imp guard so why would there not be an IG regiment with either a SW flavour or outright SW markings.  perhaps I shall make one too, after I've finished my current batch of models.  be a hell of a combo.   
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Blauer Nebel

• Members
  • Cool Hwip
« Reply #1651 on: September 07, 2011, 05:29:28 AM »
about drop pods so far as I remember after they land they count as cover and OPEN so therefore they can be assaulted from.
Unfortunately, no. They count as an immobilized open-topped vehicle that you must disembark from and cannot re-enter. That, and you cannot assault from it (BRB rulebook says you cannot assault upon deepstriking). Blood Angels I think have a dreadnought that can, maybe, but unless it says specifically that they can assault from the drop pod, they cannot. Vanguard units with jump packs can deepstrike and assault when they come in (Heroic Intervention special rule), but other than that, I can't think of any Space Marines that can (aside from maybe a Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnought or something crazy).

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1652 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
Vanguard units with jump packs can deepstrike and assault when they come in (Heroic Intervention special rule),

As long as they have no characters attached.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1653 on: September 07, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Do people use special weapon squads in IG armies at all? Or are they too fragile?

I have way too many special weapons to actually use them all otherwise.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #1654 on: September 07, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »
Veterans and command squads fill out special weapon squads' role for me, so no I dont use them.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1655 on: September 07, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
Do people use special weapon squads in IG armies at all? Or are they too fragile?

They can be nice, but I usually don't need them. Still, such a squad with maybe a demo charge and a couple of flamers could certainly do some damage at an affordable price.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1656 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »

Why do you care what people use.....or well since when? Just use them and see if they work for you.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1657 on: September 07, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

Not including Fandir, because he's mean. And a powergamer.

Why do you care what people use

I meant 'are they any good or not.'

Anyway I've reshuffled my army list so that the only spare special weapons I have now are two grenade launchers and a melta gun. So it's probably not worth bothering with those.

Now I need tanks!

Another question: do you have to roll to hit with the primaris psyker's lightning arc power? Using his BS of 3 or 4 or whatever it is? If so it's not as good as I thought.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #1658 on: September 07, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
You want powergamer advice...and disregard ME!!!???

Well I am not that into 40 k........yet.

Aldaris we have to talk.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1659 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
You want powergamer advice...and disregard ME!!!???

Well I am not that into 40 k........yet.

Aldaris we have to talk.

And by "talk", you mean "play".

Fine with me - just tell me when you got time...
 :wink:

• Members
« Reply #1660 on: September 07, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
November.

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
« Reply #1661 on: September 07, 2011, 02:46:41 PM »
I like eldar too :)

I have squads of first edition dire avengers, striking scorpions, howling banshees, dark reapers and fire dragons. 
I also have some newer aspects as well, warp spiders, shining spears, 2nd and 3rd releases of dire avengers, the second release banshees and 2nd release reapers!

Im just waiting for a new book, maybe with some new aspect warriors [Slicing Orbs of Zandros anyone?]

Dire Avengers are my favourite looking aspect, with Horse hair plumed helmets.  Sexiest helmets ever.

I still have all my Rogue Trader squads too.  I just wish that I had stocked up on more of them before Mail Order ceased to exist, as with Finecast replacing metal, I have no desire to continue to buy more models of the current range.

I don't understand why you're waiting for a new book, as Eldar are still perfectly viable in fifth edition, despite the claims to the contrary from a few narrow minded gamers.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1662 on: September 07, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »
Today a pack of books about the First World War landed in my mail. And rekindled that idea about making a WWI inspired IG army of my own. Maybe matching it with my Sisters of Battle. Damn it!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Blauer Nebel

• Members
  • Cool Hwip
« Reply #1663 on: September 07, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »
Vanguard units with jump packs can deepstrike and assault when they come in (Heroic Intervention special rule),

As long as they have no characters attached.
Right. So, bottom line, if you're deep striking, you're not charging (save for those very rare exceptions - and like CoD said, even they have caveats).

Al'rahem's platoon:
-Command Squad with Al, 4 Plasma guns, Chimera
-2 Infantry squads with lasguns and flamers
-2 Special Weapon squads with meltaguns

I run an all reserves list with an Astropath. Only thing coming on my table edge is Straken, Nork and command squad, plus a veteran squad of shotguns and meltaguns - both in Chimeras. The platoon is designed to swarm infantry while dropping a vehicle or two sitting in the back (lots of plasma, lots of melta, plus the multi-laser on flanks/rear armor). Throw in "She's Like the Wind" (and the obligatory tune to carry the order), and you got some shooty + moving into cover afterward, oftentimes to take the objective or consolidate gained ground. Depending on rolls, Valkyries with Penal Legions and/or autocannon/HK missile Sentinels (who replaced my poor Kroot...) are there to provide additional support.

So yes, special weapon squads are good, unless you're ridin' dirty in Chimeras all across the battlefield (in which case you use Vets). My list uses them in a different roll and as part of a large ambush setup.

Another question: do you have to roll to hit with the primaris psyker's lightning arc power? Using his BS of 3 or 4 or whatever it is? If so it's not as good as I thought.
Yes. It isn't like WHFB where you have different classes of psychic powers. If it shoots, it's basically just their "weapon", albeit a bit stronger (most of the time).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:37:46 PM by Blauer Nebel »

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1664 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
I like the Primaris Psyker.  I occasionally use him to add to my conscripts to give them decent leadership.  The only issue I have is that an autocannon heavy weapons squad is more effective a lot of the time than he is, especially if shooting vehicles!

six shots at s7 vs a leadership test then 2d6 s6 shots.  A lot more wounds on the troopers, who come from troops and not HQ.  It is fairly close really so it depends on the rest of your army composition.

Special weapon squads are the unwanted black sheep of the platoon.  No option for vox and bs 3 makes them worse than veterans for carrying most of the decent special weapons.  Only valid use IMO is with flamers and/or a demo charge.  If you don't want these, dont take them.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1665 on: September 08, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »
I have five veteran squads now, so I probably have too many special weapons anyway: two plasma squads, two melta squads,  one flamer squad. Plus a quad melta command squad. And a platoon command with another three flamers.

The only issue I have is that an autocannon heavy weapons squad is more effective a lot of the time than he is, especially if shooting vehicles!

Damnit, the psyker is cool and the autocannons are not!

I'm expecting GW to release Codex: Autocannons soon.

Also, 40K forums still make me angry.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:02:25 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1666 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
I rarely post on 40k forums :)

I sometimes post on warseer, although not in 40k and I used to post on Librarium Online, which isn't bad, or at least wasn't when I used to post there.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1667 on: September 08, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »
There always seems to be someone moaning about wysiwyg, or being incredibly lame about rule interpretations.

Or complaining about that guy who wrote some of the army books.

Or, worst of all, putting their win/loss record in their forum signature.
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #1668 on: September 08, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
Or complaining about that guy who wrote some of the army books.

Oh yes. That's annoying!

And that's embarassing. And somewhat amusing.
 :-D

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1669 on: September 08, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »

I notice that they always have at least twice as many wins as losses. They're the winningest winners in the history of winning!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:11:04 PM by CannonofDoom »
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #1670 on: September 08, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
Second sphere is a good place, at least in my eyes, Rufus. Stop being annoyed by people. Just imagine they are squids!  :icon_razz:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #1671 on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
For normal games of 40k, I'm thinking 3 Wraithlords. Any thoughts, other than "Don't play Dark Eldar" ?

Each will have a Eldar Missile Launcher and a Wraithsword, because I like the sword.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:32:56 PM by MrDWhitey »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1672 on: September 08, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
Thankfully there's no complaining on W-E.  At least not about 40K, that is. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

(GP ... what are you doing?)

Who, me? Nothing. :engel:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #1673 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
For normal games of 40k, I'm thinking 3 Wraithlords. Any thoughts, other than "Don't play Dark Eldar" ?

Each will have a Eldar Missile Launcher and a Wraithsword, because I like the sword.

Yeah definitely dont play dark eldar!  I normally use Wraithguard [I own 15] and my old school Wraithlord [ EML/BL combo] so I know this all too well.  You may want to also include an Avatar [if you own one], as he works well with combat Wraithlords.

I take it you don't play the "competitive" [which I translate as lame] 5 man dire avengers in wave serpent list build?  Foot eldar and hybrid [which I play] can be fun, but I have a lot of trouble against true 5th edition lists.  No problems so far against 4th ed ones.  Grey Knights are not fun for eldar either.

If I put up my wins/draws/losses they would make really funny reading.  The only army I have got a good record with was 6th edition Wood elves, but most of the others tend to be around 50% win rate, but some, such as my eldar, in 5th edition would be a 0% win with!   :-D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:57:01 AM by Crimsonsphinx »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1674 on: September 09, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Grey Knights are not fun for eldar either.

Hurrah!

Presumably a 'wraithlord' is just what they used to call an Eldar Dreadnought.
If I wanted to.