home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 305513 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: 40K
« Reply #2150 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
not enough troops, for the objective missions?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2151 on: October 04, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
Canīt he split them up to have 6 troop choices?

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2152 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
30 marines could be plenty for objective missions, or very few, depends on local gaming group.

I usually see either 3x 10 tactical marines and a scout squad or 4x 10 tactical, so thirty isnt that much worse.  You may struggle to win if there ends up being 5 or 6 objectives though.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2153 on: October 04, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
Can scouts have rhinos? Or is it storms only for transports?
Don't think I can face another ten marines. 
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2154 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure scouts can't have rhinos.

I have six troop choices in my 1500 point list.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2155 on: October 04, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
I cant say I have ever had 6 troops choices in 1500.  My guard only have 3!  Admittedly that works out as around 8 units though  :-D

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2156 on: October 04, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »
3 Tac Squads is plenty, this gives you 6 troops choices if you combat squad, which you will want to do almost always (except in KP missions) anyway.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2157 on: October 04, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
if you combat squad, which you will want to do almost always (except in KP missions) anyway.

Really? But then half of them have to walk. Is it just so that you can leave the heavy weapon behind and rhino rush with the special and the champion?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:30:25 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2158 on: October 04, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Really? But then half of them have to walk. Is it just so that you can leave the heavy weapon behind and rhino rush with the special and the champion?

Indeed!
That's why Razorbacks are often chosen for Tac Squads.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2159 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
but how unfluffy is having 10 marines and only transport for 6! What do they hang on the outside. When did they change the rules. you used to onlt be able to take a transport they all could get in.

Can Scouts go get Rhinos. I was a totally mechanised force. Can LS storms carry 5 scouts and what are they ,dedicated transports?
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2160 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
but how unfluffy is having 10 marines and only transport for 6! What do they hang on the outside. When did they change the rules. you used to onlt be able to take a transport they all could get in.

Can Scouts go get Rhinos. I was a totally mechanised force. Can LS storms carry 5 scouts and what are they ,dedicated transports?

LS Storms can indeed carry 5 scouts, and no, as far as I know Scouts can't take a Rhino. Can't look it up at the moment though. Can't even tell you if it's possible to take as a dedicated transport or if it'll eat a FA choice.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #2161 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
Scouts can't take a Rhino and the LS Storm does eat fast attack. It can't be dedicated unfortunately.

I only use 20 tacticals at 1500 and haven't run into any problems yet. You only need to control one and contest the others, and anything can contest. Early days though, only played about 20 games. Tacticals have almost no killing power and marines aren't going to outnumber anyone so I don't see flooding a table with high priced troop choices to be very viable when you'll still be outnumbered on troops, and definitely out gunned. Chaos for example uses lots of troops because their choices are really solid - probably the best part of what looks like a pretty bad book. IG and Orks speak for themselves, etc.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2162 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »
Yeah, troops are were Chaos has at least some solid options (although regular CSM are very lackluster and Noisemarines are at the very least overpriced. Just like Thousand Sons unfortunately.).

Concerning Space Marine troops, some scouts in a Storm can be a good choice depending on your style of play. Give the sarge a fist and watch 'em beat up support units like Devastators or tanks. You can also pinpoint deepstrike some Termies there if you give it a beacon.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #2163 on: October 05, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »
I know my Wolf scouts can't take storms, I'd love to equip them with one though.  Serious badassery. especially if I take another 3 LS missile gunboats.  oh well their other rules are pretty damn good already. 
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2164 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:44 AM »
Yeah, troops are were Chaos has at least some solid options (although regular CSM are very lackluster and Noisemarines are at the very least overpriced. Just like Thousand Sons unfortunately.).

Concerning Space Marine troops, some scouts in a Storm can be a good choice depending on your style of play. Give the sarge a fist and watch 'em beat up support units like Devastators or tanks. You can also pinpoint deepstrike some Termies there if you give it a beacon.

I don't mind CSM, or Thousand Sons.  My army used to be entirely 6 man noise marine units in 3rd edition, but now they are probably at least 5 points a model over costed when armed with a sonic blaster.  I tried to get them to work for me, but really, its never going to happen in the current book.  I think the price for the Blastmaster is even more ludicrous.

Regular CSM get good options [2x special weapons], although they are expensive due to not getting free sergeants like Marines do.  Missing "and they shall have more special rules [ATSKNF]", combat squads and combat tactics is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but the bolt pistol/ccw, cheaper points cost and better leadership is not all that terrible.

Thousand Sons are very much dependant on the type of table you play on.  If you have sparse cover they become a lot better than they do if everyone is already able to wander around with cover saves.  If you put an objective in the open, you will struggle to find a much better unit to remove enemies and indeed hold it than Thousand Sons. 

If you do have lots of cover, you may as well swap Thousand Sons for Plague Marines, who benefit a lot more from it.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2165 on: October 05, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »
And considering the game is sorta designed for lots of cover at the moment... no Thousand Sons!

Our local Thousand Sons player used the GK codex now.  :engel:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2166 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:54 AM »
Regular CSM get good options [2x special weapons], although they are expensive due to not getting free sergeants like Marines do.  Missing "and they shall have more special rules [ATSKNF]", combat squads and combat tactics is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but the bolt pistol/ccw, cheaper points cost and better leadership is not all that terrible.

Didn't say they're terrible, they're lackluster. Some reasons you already mentioned, another would be the terrible Icon system where a squad loses the Gods favor as soon as the bearer dies. Cult troops are just so much better. Doesn't mean I don't play regular CSM, I use them a lot anyway.

Thousand Sons are very much dependant on the type of table you play on.  If you have sparse cover they become a lot better than they do if everyone is already able to wander around with cover saves.  If you put an objective in the open, you will struggle to find a much better unit to remove enemies and indeed hold it than Thousand Sons. 

If you do have lots of cover, you may as well swap Thousand Sons for Plague Marines, who benefit a lot more from it.

Since almost all 40K tables have (and should have!) a lot of terrain TSons aren't all that useful. I played my squad of nine for a very long time before deciding they just weren't worth an investment of almost 300 points.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:57:28 AM by Aldaris »

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2167 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »
I agree with your points Aldaris, I was just trying to bring a bit of balance to the discussion   :-D

I rarely take icons, although the IoK sometimes makes an appearance, as in my last list.  It is only as hard to kill as a champion and most of the time, you can avoid allocating wounds to that model.   Most of the time I field two ten man CSM squads, one armed for long range, one for short.

I used to use T.Sons a lot more than I do these days.  They used to be used all the time, but I find they make only around quarter of my lists these days.  Sometimes it is nice to use them, I like the models.  The real crippler is the vast cost the sorcerer is, especially with a compulsory power.
Relentless ap3 bolters are good weapons though!  Just need a bit of planning, like putting objective markers in the open, to get the most out of them.

Chaos are not a top list, but I find they are relatively simple to build strongish lists.  The real problem is there are only a handful of great choices in the list, Daemon Prince, Plague marines, Obliterators and possibly terminators.  Most of the others are sub par compared to regular marines.

In a lot of ways I think chaos are lucky that cult troops come from troops, and not elites, as this allows you to build an effective list with just troops choices.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2168 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »
Agreed. If the Cult troops were, say, Elite that 'dex would be utter rubbish. As it is it's "only" sub-par, especially when it comes to (effective) variations. I love it anyway.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2169 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
I loved the 3rd edition dex more!  No love for the Legions in this current dex, although the rumours I have read regarding the 6th edition Chaos dex suggests they may be getting a come back!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2170 on: October 05, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »
Yes, I'm really looking forward to this. About damn time too.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2171 on: October 05, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »
I heard they were redoing all the space marine army books before they redo chaos.
If I wanted to.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2172 on: October 05, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
I heard they were redoing all the space marine army books before they redo chaos.

To be honest Rufus, it wouldn't surprise me if all 1000 chapters got an army book before Chaos got a new one.  I don't understand why chaos marines get the short end of the stick, and why all the far far more varied chaos legions are represented by a single book, yet the loyalist chapters somehow need five or six different books, when well over half of the unit choices are identical in most of the books!

While I know space marines sell more, blah blah blah, they wouldn't sell any less if they had just one book, and if needs be something like Codex Craftworld Eldar, to have a couple of pages per chapter to switch about some force organisation charts and introduce unique units.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #2173 on: October 05, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
The 4th ed Chaos dex was fine. It was fun, thematic and so on. Not too sure about the power level but whiners on the internet seem to pine for it. A return to that style should be imminent anyway with Gav Thorpe, Destroyer of Fluff gone from the studio.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2174 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
While I know space marines sell more, blah blah blah, they wouldn't sell any less if they had just one book, and if needs be something like Codex Craftworld Eldar, to have a couple of pages per chapter to switch about some force organisation charts and introduce unique units.

Yes, they don't really need their own army books. You can tell it was a real struggle to fill up the fluff section of the blood angels book, for example!

If I wanted to.