home

Author Topic: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)  (Read 139538 times)

Offline scrubber

• Members

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: ebay makes me laugh (my ongoing eBay mockery thread)
« Reply #1176 on: March 16, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
AU $350.00

Postage: AU $63.05

Nice.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1177 on: March 17, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1178 on: July 14, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
This thread should be moved back to the Count's Tavern.

Anyhow. Another small rant: So I saw some interesting offers on ebay, but the guy only offered shipping within the UK. I asked if he would also ship to Austria, even putting (EU) behind it, so there would be no misunderstanding. He looked up the cost (apparently) and his response was £50 ... Really?! I guess that was the price for Australia or something and I even pointed out my suspicion that there probably is a mistake, but then I gave up. (I checked the royal mail website and it would have been between £17-21)

This was just symptomatic for many UK sellers. I don't know why it's such a big deal for many to consider shipping to Europe / the EU straight away. It's not really any more complicated, but that seems to overtax them somehow. I am just tired of missing out on good deals and seeing items being sold under value, because they are "UK only". This mentality backfires and they don't even realize it. (Kinda like BREXIT).

Edit: To be fair, on ebay.de many only offer shipping to Germany as well, but if you sell on ebay.co.uk, chances are that your potential customers speak English also, so there shouldn't really be a language barrier, which I suspect is one of the reasons, why many German sellers don't bother with international shipping.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:18:36 PM by Victor »

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #1179 on: July 14, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »
How's this for £18.88 kit still available from GW.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Painted-Citadel-wood-for-miniature-scenery/162275837427?hash=item25c864c5f3:g:Z9MAAOSw5cNYJFRy

He also seems to be offering other things...

I also provide miniature painting service. Please leave the massage to me.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #1180 on: July 14, 2018, 09:27:15 PM »
Victor. I live in the North west of England to send a parcel up to 2KG to Europe through royal mail is £15.25. If having problems I would be willing to take delivery for you and them post onwards if you are willing to pay. If interest send me PM and we can talk further.
Hope this help. Brian.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #1181 on: July 15, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
Hello Brian! Thank you for your kind offer to help. Sadly, the miniatures in question were sold already.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1183 on: August 20, 2018, 10:20:12 PM »
Look, I know Canadian money is a strange blend of real currency and monopoly money but $50 dollars for the one bit seems a bit excessive. Like I could go buy the whole new plastic tank for not much more.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1184 on: September 11, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #1185 on: September 11, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
If that notebook is worth that much, then my parents have gold on their attic!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1186 on: September 15, 2018, 11:10:42 PM »
Norkers are a rare sub-species of Hobgoblin from AD&D - somehow they made it into the mid 1980s Citadel AD&D range (along with some other weird choices)

There's a vague resemblance to fimir, I guess, but they are much smaller, tail-less and two-eyed...

The models are pretty rare and can also go for high prices (like Fimir)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1187 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:13 AM »
I've been selling lots and lots of junk [detritus that has built up over the years] on eBay at the moment and its amusing to see how much people are trying to flog similar items for.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1188 on: September 16, 2018, 02:16:02 AM »
Norkers are a rare sub-species of Hobgoblin from AD&D - somehow they made it into the mid 1980s Citadel AD&D range (along with some other weird choices)

There's a vague resemblance to fimir, I guess, but they are much smaller, tail-less and two-eyed...

The models are pretty rare and can also go for high prices (like Fimir)

Wow, I don't remember that. Looks like Fiend Folio art, is it? I guess I can kind of see the resemblance to the Fimir in the auction - with the exceptions you mention. Even armed & dressed the same.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1189 on: September 16, 2018, 07:00:40 AM »
Such a bargain...

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1190 on: December 22, 2018, 06:28:32 PM »
I just had to dig this thread out again because I believe I have now won it!

Check out this listing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-Chaos-Centaurs-CH4-Citadel-Pro-Painted-Warhammer-Army-Evil-Hordes-Cavalry/132498110715?hash=item1ed980b8fb:g:CyoAAOSwecJafE7i

This guy is selling SEVEN classic Citadel Chaos Centaurs for the princely sum of £342 + P&P. That's about £50 each. Which seems like a lot even for rare metal cavalry models. Even if he's throwing in a new KR case to protect these PRO-PAINTED BEAUTIES.

Get a load of this ridiculous spiel...

"It's always difficult to state how good someone's paintwork is, so I've taken the best pictures that I can. Pro Painted (meaning professionally painted) is a term that is overused on E-Bay. A professional painter is someone that makes a living doing it. So that doesn't mean that they have to do it well, as a painting service could churn out a huge amount of airbrush sprayed paintjobs, such as some army painters out there. I'm not saying that people working for that painting service or studio do not have talent for figure painting, just that they have to paint to what the market wants, or what the individual customer wants to pay for. That may well be mass pre-painted armies. Different people are happy with different standards, and a lot of it is in the eye of the person that perceives the artisans finished painted miniature. Some people are happy with a very basic paintjob be it paint brushed or airbrushed. I would use the term Pro painted for a level of skilled paintwork that I would not put the item in paint stripper, as the artists paintjob is just too good for that. At a certain level of quality it passes a pivotal balancing scale point, that it is unlikely someone else will take the time, effort and have the skill or patience to paint that model to a higher standard. An artist is someone that produces an item that is aesthetic, to them or others. Painted miniatures that are above the level that I'd strip back cover a wide field. A well known standard is Games Workshop's Golden Demon. There are three levels, Bronze, Silver and Gold, but even that can come down to peoples perceptions of art, as some years Golden Daemon can be surpassed by the prior years, due to the level of that years entrants, and what is considered artistic at the time. Fashion changes what is considered art, and it may come down to what is popular at the time.

Many different painting techniques can be used for figure painting, from simple ones for shading such as drybrushing, highlighting, washes and any weathering. Also certain advanced painting techniques such as Non Metallic Metal (NMM) or the layering and feathering blending techniques, using a wet palette. Toning, outlining and edging can add substantial time to a project as can any little details on the miniature to add individual character. Various quality paints can be used, either enamels or the more popular acrylic mediums, as well as different formulations of inks and varnishes. When you buy a painted miniature, be it a studio painted commissioned piece, exactly how you specified it, or something that just happens to be what you want, you are paying for three things. The materials used (be it the miniature itself or just the paint, inks and basing materials), the painters skill and most costly, their time to complete the project. I think people see a pre painted miniature and think, "hmmnnn, that's a bit of money," but possibly they only see the cost to actually buy the miniature itself (which is another add on cost) rather than all the hours that went in to create it, from start to finish of the project. The invested time in getting that figure to that high standard is it's inherent value, but the real value for some is in the enjoyment of using it in gameplay, or having it admired on the shelf.

Personally I see a good part of the unseen cost going into the preparation of a gaming miniature. I can spend nearly an hour filing a 28mm figure and washing off any oils from my hands ready for spraying on the undercoat. For metal miniatures you have to remove flash, file off the mould lines and remove any runoffs that crop up in the moulding process. Plus, if it's multiple parts, there is the drilling and pinning all the separate pieces. To drill and pin multiple parts for assembly can take hours on larger miniatures. Then there's use of any filler needed for gaps or damage to moulds such as voids or breaks. For plastic it's easier to glue parts together but there's still removing it from the sprue, scraping any mould lines off, positioning and filling gaps. Any further sculpting or conversion work can add many hours to a project. There are artists out there speed painting miniatures to an acceptable standard on their commissioned work. I can't speed paint, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and it can take me 8 to 10 hours to paint a single 28mm miniature, plus if you really start putting nice detail on the base, then that adds to the time taken. As with anything in life, the longer you spend on something, the better it will turn out. All those hours for any project cost money, so you only have to look at what you would earn per hour, and start to add it all up. How much is your time worth?

The artist has used the base colours with a wash over them. I was tempted to add highlights, but left them as is. Simple but effective for a nice army standard of painting."

What an absolute bell end, eh? ;)

Okay, so this is another "expert" trying to sell some nice old miniatures with a half decent paint job for a ridiculous price, but I don't win a prize for that, surely?

Nope, I win a prize because I PAINTED THESE!!! THESE ARE MY MINIATURES!!!  :Ohmy:

Well, were. I sold them last year to help pay for the engine replacement in my car, as you may remember.

BUT HE'S MULTIPLIED THE PRICE BY 10  ::heretic::

Beat that for ebay mockery, if you can!!!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1191 on: December 23, 2018, 07:53:56 PM »
Hahaha! Nice.  :eusa_clap:

For what its worth, as I was reading that (and I looked at the pics after getting part way through the salea pitch) I was wondering what you were getting at, beyond the ridiculous price. As far as "pro painted" criticisms, I thought thet looked pretty good.

Going to be a chellenge to top this.  :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1192 on: January 28, 2020, 11:29:00 PM »
Wow. Maybe time to sell some of my remaining stash...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303455768162

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303455761769

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1193 on: January 29, 2020, 12:03:24 AM »
Wow. Maybe time to sell some of my remaining stash...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303455768162

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303455761769

WTF! That can't be right.  Thats the kind of bidding I'd expect on mint boxes of the old plastic 40k Imperial Army.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1194 on: January 29, 2020, 01:11:27 AM »
And people are bidding on it!?!?!

It's gotta be a friend or someone trying to bump it higher right? Right?!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1195 on: January 29, 2020, 01:21:27 AM »
I just looked at recently sold boxes. Most around $80, but as low as $60 and as high as $150+. (Incl. shipping)  :icon_eek:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1196 on: January 29, 2020, 07:39:12 AM »
Getting rarer and rarer for sure.

People buy individual metal R&F models for $5-$15. Not that strange they buy plastics still in sprue and with bits for $4-$9, individually. My guess is these will not be assembled, but kept in boxes - for nostalgia, for "investment", whatever.

Also, decent pricing and knowledgeable buyers have pretty much left eBay and moved over to specific FB groups. People who aren't in FB or don't buy from peers without eBay guarantees and fame controls are then left with what eBay offers. It's a different market.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1197 on: February 01, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »
I think some of the FB groups formerly used by hobbyists to trade with each other for actual painting/gaming have been discovered by the resellers & "investors." In any case, it seems like prices there have been steadily rising and figures are sold pretty quickly. Not to the point of the extreme eBay prices, but quite a few of the figures I've been interested in lately can be found on eBay or at Noble Knight for about the same prices as the FB groups anymore.

Also, those boxes sold for $102.50 & $118.50 plus shipping.  :icon_eek:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1198 on: March 03, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
Today, in a regional sales group; a man offered me a 2nd edition high elf army [still unpainted] for the low, low price of $12000.00

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #1199 on: August 11, 2020, 01:26:01 AM »
Ebay just seems like it's 99% retailers hawking full-price stuff and scalpers selling stuff at a markup. The normal people trying to clear out their closets are almost entirely absent.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".