home

Author Topic: 1000PT Campaign Game against Warriors of Chaos  (Read 1638 times)

Offline joshw4288

• Members
1000PT Campaign Game against Warriors of Chaos
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
I have a three game campaign against a family member over the holidays. The first game has the Empire defending a town. I get a tower, two buildings and four walls to place as my town within any 24 x 24 inch quadrant. Warriors of Chaos gets 25% more points and enters from his table edge on first turn (also gets to go first). You get points for controlling the buildings at the end of the game (1 for each regular building, 2 for the tower) and 1 point if you kill the enemy general.

With that in mind, here is what I am considering running:

Wizard Lord, Level 4, Lore of Shadow (200)

Captain, BSB, FPA, Enchanted Shield (96)

Warrior Priest, Shield, Heavy Armor, Dragonhelm (79)

Master Engineer (65)

23 Swordsman, FC (321)
    Detachment of 5 Archers
    Detachment of 12 Free Company

5 ICK w/ Musician (135)

Hellblaster Volley Gun (120)

Engineer obviously goes between the two war machines. Captain and WP go with the swordsman in 5 x 5. The wizard Lord heads with the archer detachment

I don't have a lot of choices on the foot troops as I generally run cavalry heavy lists but I don't think that makes sense for this game. Swordsman, Archers, Free Company, and Flagellants are all I have for unmounted units.

I'm also considering Shadow for the level 4, and possibly replacing the WP for a Level 1 Beast wizard. Maybe there is a better option for lore...

Metal is off the table as it wouldn't be fun for anyone.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:47:25 PM by joshw4288 »

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
Re: 1000PT Campaign Game against Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 04:21:01 AM »
(( Hey joshw428,

Just some quick thoughts, as I want to get back to watching Fate: Stay Night again.

Anyway, here goes.  Sorry if some of this seems basic.  I'm including it, as you said you mostly play knights, and might not be that familiar with Empire Foot.

1) At 1000 points, you really don't need a cannon.  You shouldn't see a whole lot of stuff with Armor Save of 2+ or Toughness 5+, since the points are on the lower side.  You already have the Volley Gun and Engineer combo.  Pretty much everything sweats a boat-ton of Strength 5 Armor-Pen shots, at BS 4.  As such, you could save a boat-ton of points, and drop the cannon.

1-A) I would suggest pigeons for the Engineer though. At some point, your Volley Gun will blow up, and pigeons give your Engineer something to do.

1-B) Anyway, your Volley Gun can secure a flank all on its own, given that you're protecting a town. 

1-B-1) Also... sometimes it's worth while to sacrificially charge your Engineer to protect your Volley Gun.

2) At 1000 points, you'll pretty much own the magic phase, if you have a Level 4 wizard.  You might be able to save some points, and drop your Wizard down to Level 2.  Still magically potent, at 1000 points, but 1/2 the cost.

2-A) I'm assuming you're doing the 50% characters as well, as, otherwise, you're over budget.

2-B) I'm... not terribly fond of Light.  I know why people play it, it just gets overplayed where I am.  And, as such, everyone has a fairly effective SOP for "Turning Off the Lights".

2-B-1) I tend to like Shadow (as you can cast Hexes into combat), Beasts (as it has one of my favorite spells in the game, Curse of Ahnreir), and Fire (Because I like to BURN THE HEATHENS... and Because Flaming Sword of Ruin is an awesome spell!)

2-C) Also, right now you do not have a dispell scroll.  It isn't required at 1000 points... but it might be worthwhile to have one, as Chaos can throw out some stupid-ugly spells.

3) Not fond of one-use items (other than the Dispell Scroll), and the Luckstone is a one-use item.

3-A) For your BSB, you can get him a Pistol as well.  Gives him a reason to have BS5, and opens up his Threat Radius a bit.  Even if you only ever cause one wound with the Pistol, that pays for itself.

3-B) I also like getting my BSB Ulric's Cloak.  (My BSB tends to have Full Plate, Sheild, Pistol, Ulric's Cloak).  For its cost, it gives him some solid protection, and the added bonus of being -1 to Hit in melee.

4) For your Warrior Priest, you might want to consider the Dragon Helm.  It's a cheap way to improve your Armor Save by +1, and it has the added bonus of making him highly resistant to Fire based damage... which is oddly common.

5) Just so you know, Archers trade offensive power for mobility.  You should keep them moving each turn, as it lets you maximize their Skirmish abilities, and continuously take shots of opportunity.

5-A) Keep in mind that Empire BS really sucks... so don't expect your Archers to hit often.

6) Even at small point games, our basic cavalry is cheap and still effective.  You might want to consider a small squad of cav (5 PAX) with musician... just to give you something to exploit any opportunity charges that become available.

6-A) Your swordsmen will struggle to wound, so having them work in tandem with a small, squad of knights allows the Swordsmen to add the Rank and Banner bonus, while the Knights cause a few wounds.

7) 10 Free Company aren't going to really add much of anything.  They have no protection, and little staying power.  Instead, I'd suggest using them as filler in your Swordsmen block, and upsize your Swordsmen to 28 (30, including the BSB and Warrior Priest).

Anyway, just some quick thoughts. ))

Offline joshw4288

• Members
Re: 1000PT Campaign Game against Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
Thanks for suggestions!

1) My thinking on the cannon was that based on the scenario I expect a fast moving army, which will likely include skullcrushers. Will consider dropping for a unit of 5 knights.

2) I've changed the Wizard to Shadow. I think the hexes will be more useful and the reduce toughness spell will help my swordsman actually kill something.

3) We're playing standard army composition, 25% Lords and 25% Heroes.

4) The only reason I didn't take a dispel is because I already took a level 4 and I didn't want to pour more points into magic. I could drop to a level 3 and and take the dispel but I reduce the chances of getting the spells I really need.

5) Dropped Luckstone and added a pistol

6) added the dragonhelm to the WP

7) Dropped my wizard bunker down to 5 and used the point savings to bump the Free company detachment to 12. I wanted them on there a) a possible countercharge, and b) another unit that can garrison a building. If I can get the reduced toughness spell off on my enemy, they can do some damage.

Edited my previous post so the changes are visible.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:49:36 PM by joshw4288 »