home

Author Topic: My Own Private Empire [ Oct11 - Swordsmen ]  (Read 48865 times)

Offline cjp

• Members
My Own Private Empire [ Oct11 - Swordsmen ]
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »
I was posting my various projects as individual posts, but I guess folks here prefer them to be in a long running log thread. So, by request, I'll keep a record of things here.

I've been collecting empire since around 4th Edition. I get distracted easily however, so there have been long stretches of time where it has sat unloved and received no new painted units. Lately, I've been making a point to get back at it and put some work into the figures I've been collecting over the years, and rounding out ideas for new acquisitions.

I always liked the idea of the far reaching Empire with components drawn from all over. This probably comes in part from the early fluff that included ogres, halflings, kislev, dwarves, etc. As such I never started off painting things all from the same province or anything. There is no denying how awesome a thematic army from one city-state looks, all festooned with a consistent color scheme etc, but that never appealed to me.

For whatever reason, I started basing the units in my collection around themes of global domination, religious zealotry, secret societies, conspiracy theories, etc. That stuff always amused and fascinated me, so my empire began to take shape as militant representations of all these ideas. They provide wonderfully rich background inspiration, and researching iconography for them has always been part of the fun. After reading books like Focoult's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, the idea of them all being interlinked in one massive uber-conspiracy is too much fun to resist too. So, that is why the units all get different treatments. 

And now, the Grand Army of the Order of the Temple of the Illuminati; Because sometimes The All Seeing Eye and the Hidden Hand need a mailed fist!  ;)

To get things going and make this blog a bit more interesting in the meantime while I work on new things, I'll back fill it with some of my old stuff, as well as more recent additions since I've started doing work on the empire again.  Bear in mind my photography and painting skills have both improved over the years, so some of the old stuff will be pretty rough by comparison. Hopefully that'll be some inspiration to others. . . practice, and you shall improve.  :wink:

OLD stuff:

Jesuit Handgunners:

Handgunners 2 (I forget where the iconography came from... Order of St Giuseppe I think is on the other side of the Pomeranian flag)

Crossbows (Cult of La Virgen de Guadalupe)

Greatswords (I don't seem to have a picture of the unit, but its currently 20 strong) (Pirate / Templar Marines flag)

Selcuk Turks:

Templars:

Teutonic Order:

Some older artillery units:

A cannon emplacement:

Cathar flaggelants (Thats not all of them, I think I have 25... should really re-shoot them)

When I began sinking my teeth into the empire, the 4th Edition list had an extensive beastiary. You weren't limited to pegasi and gryphons. :) This made sense to me, again, with the far reaching empire, that they should have an amazing Imperial Zoo. So while my friends all gravitated to the biggest things on their lists, like dragons, I had fun collecting other things for the zoo keepers to herd into battle. I have a unit of giant scorpions with an imperial champion, for example (still only have one painted, must finish! :) ) as well as spider swarms. It may seem odd now a days, but hey, they were in the list, so why not use them? :)

One of the projects that did get finished was my imperial count on hydra rider. Again, very old, and very rough, but fun:

I think the hydra was from Grenadier.

Then I needed some pegasi. This guy still needs to be rebased with something more sensible, but at the time it was the most involved conversion I'd ever undertaken, and I was very proud of it.

Then I took it a step further, and made another one:

That wizard is pinned, and the I have a charachter with a lance that fits on there too.

Warwagon! Love that model:

And my war altar, based on Peter the Hermit from the Crusades. The crucified skeleton was something I had in a bitz box. Its really pretty poorly made, and I'd like to replace it with a better piece.

I think that about covers most of my first era of work on the army.... which was from about 1993 to 1999.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:28:37 AM by cjp »

Offline cjp

• Members
Re: My Own Private Empire (painting log)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
Then there is the newer era. I didn't start painting much Empire stuff again until ~2004, and really a lot more in just the last 2 years.  I haven't added as much in numbers, but I've spent a lot more time on the figures now that my painting has improved. 

The biggest project has been my Reiksguard foot unit. I worked on this unit off and on for several years. I would do 5-10 models, then forget about it for a while, then come back to it. I finally did the last 8 figures this winter, and I am ridiculously proud of it. :D  The princes of the realm should be the centerpiece of any army, so I worked hard on them, despite the time consuming style I decided to use for their armor:

They are Rosicrucians:

One of my current WIPs is some rodolero swordsmen. I've done two test batches, one with TAG figures, the other with Foundry. The majority of the unit will be Foundry figures when I get them done:

The painting standard should be more inline with the 3 foundry figures... the TAG figs were done a lit faster.

My other big recent addition has been a unit of Imperial Dwarves (Skull and Bones society):

And I spent last winter fleshing out my collection of wizards. (still two to finish):

And now that the new rules have warrior priests, I thought I might need one of them as well:

And then thanks to the monthly comp here, I decided to make a nice mounted charachter (entered the 'knight' category, but he'll be a count/general on the table)

And my long overdue steam tank:

(like much of my collection, I've had the model for 15 years or more... sitting in a box. :( )

And then just last week I finally did a battle standard bearer:

So that pretty much brings us up to date.

;)

Hopefully it won't be a year or more before I have something else to post here. I do have some non empire projects on the burners for xmas, and at least part of the winter... but I'm committed to getting something substantial up here somewhat regularly.  Finding this forum has helped me re-kindle my interest and refocus my efforts the last year or two, so thanks for that, all of you.  8-)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:14:46 PM by cjp »

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »
Oops, I forgot to post the first half of my free company militia, made up of tribesmen of the Black Hand:

I have 12 or so more to do... waiting on some sculpting assistance, and then will need to convert a bunch of the remaining figs to be mixed weapons.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:12:27 AM »
Stunning, sir. Stunning.

"BOSTON! ARE YOU READY TO ROCK!?!"
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Mariner

• Members
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001630294702
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »
So much awesomeness!

I really like the muted armor on the Reiksguard, it makes the feathers really pop. What colors did you use to paint the armor?

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 02:36:01 AM »
What colors did you use to paint the armor?

Just black and white, mixed to various degrees.    :icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:53:46 PM by cjp »

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42:03 AM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Wonderful...just wonderful!

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
the quality is amazing
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Mechanical Monkey

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
Love what you did with Borgio. :::cheers:::

The rest is awesome as well  :eusa_clap:

Why would he look there?  Never ever has there been balls under an elf's robes.   :closed-eyes:

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
I really love all the old metal, good job on the painting. personal note, are you a Mason? I only ask because of all the imagery. It really does work quite well.  steveb

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
Steveb thats what i was wondering? haha anyway great looking stuff!  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
Fantastic, thanks!

Particularly I like all your textiles that looks very realistic.

fbjorn

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »
Thanks for listening to our request! Really inspiring stuff. All those little freehand goodies...

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21:54 PM »
Ordo Ab Choa!

Order out of Chaos,

The Illuminati motto.

I've watched David Icke at Brixton Academy twice now, and closely follow the truth seaker movement.

Watch for the propaganda in the UK News reading, they are all repeaters.

Even at question time they read off pre prepared cue prompts.

My friend has a client through work who pre screens questions for David Cameron's TV appearances,  he over heard conversations she had on the phone, stuff like '' yep you can ask that, no you can't ask him that ''

The world you believe is reality is a puppet show!

Don't get me started lol
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Auberoun

• Members
  • Moguling the crap out of life.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »
Ordo Ab Choa!

Order out of Chaos,

The Illuminati motto.

I've watched David Icke at Brixton Academy twice now, and closely follow the truth seaker movement.

Watch for the propaganda in the UK News reading, they are all repeaters.

Even at question time they read off pre prepared cue prompts.

My friend has a client through work who pre screens questions for David Cameron's TV appearances,  he over heard conversations she had on the phone, stuff like '' yep you can ask that, no you can't ask him that ''

Don't get me started lol

Now I have a quote for  my siggy...thanks  Mr. Chumley Warner!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »
You're one of my favorite painters on this site. Everything you do is worth seeing, even if it's a model I'd otherwise not like.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »
Wow. ..  thanks all, for the kind words and encouraging comments. I know I'm a decent painter, but mostly I just kind of do what excites me, and sometime its easy to feel like you're the only one who gets what you do, or why.... so it's kinda cool to hear such kindred spirits enthused about the silly stuff I get up to with paints and little toy soldiers.  8-)

Everything you do is worth seeing, even if it's a model I'd otherwise not like.
:icon_redface: awww, thanks man. :)

If you like seening what I'm up to aside from my empire figures, feel free to check out my blog sometime. I go through phases of updating it a lot, and then not so much, but prettty much everytime I'm working on something it goes there.   :icon_idea:

Cheers all. And thanks again. :)

Oh! What about terrain? A seperate painting log thread for world building projects you think?  Or add it in here?

:happy:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »
I would keep it all in the same thread, that way its easier to reference.  OR, use your first post to provide links to all your work in different threads.

Excellent work!  What do you use as the blue background in your photos?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:53:48 AM »
This has been very enjoyable to see! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »
Excellent work!  What do you use as the blue background in your photos?

I have a few different sheets that I print out at kinkos at 11x17" or 11x14". I lean the paper against a bottle or other such tall item, so it curves, and then set the miniatures on the front part.

You can download the gradients here and print for yourself:

http://www.madponies.net/pub/backgrounds/

Offline cjp

• Members
Re: My Own Private Empire [update: General]
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »
Finished my general before christmas but never bothered to get his base done until today, since the contest was extended.

The generalisimo with his newly fabricated standard, among the pride of the Reik:

I'm rather glad to now finally have a mounted and foot general painted for my collection. Its been a long time coming.  8-)

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:17 AM »
A halberdier as a general! :Ohmy:

Very nice choice of model, and beautiful painting. The red sleeve and the stripes on the shaft are my favourites. And the fact that you succeed in using so many colours on the same model.

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:10 AM »
A halberdier as a general!

Heh, I know its not very flashy, but I love the idea of generals who lead from in and among their men. In that sense,  and for my money, there is no more classic empire weapon than the halberd. :)  I'm not saying he might not have a magic weapon at times in rule terms, but as a visual center of my army, I had to use that figure. He's too perfect and too classic for me not to. ;)

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »
I like the idea of a halberdier general very much, and also your realisation of that idea. Good choice.