home

Author Topic: Status of Your Empire Army 2018 ...  (Read 8467 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Status of Your Empire Army 2018 ...
« on: April 01, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen ... what is the status of your Empire army or armies in 2018?

- - - - - -

My primary Averlanders are currently sitting on a white poster board set up in their units, and most are awaiting more paint.  I've got some figures that I'm painting up for use as Marienburgers and Wissenlanders and Mercenaries and even units from Matorea in the Border Princes.  I also have figures I've been working on over time painted in green and yellow and purple for use as Stirlanders or Toboroans from western Tilea.  I even have some figures painted in red and white intended for another Tilean force at some point.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Status of Your Empire Army 2018 ...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
Just organized my painted WHFB figures:
One shelf of DoW/Kislev allies & individual adventurers.
Two shelves of Stirland, Ducal & provincial.
One shelf of Flagellants, Militia & non-Stirland arty.
One shelf of Dwarfs & Undead & some Elves.

Now painting some individuals, DoW & terrain.

Might play in a local Border Princes campaign, but otherwise just painting.  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
The army is half finished and have been for a long time. I keep saying I'll finish it

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »
Just finished The Desciples of Sigmar army. AoS style. 2470 points I think. My other 2500 points will become another  AoS army. Right now it’s a hodgepodge of averland, ostland and reikland.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
Horrible. I have a shit ton of models, some of them OOP, some of them Forge World. Like, I have 70 Handgunners alone. I've built this army for 8th edition, before discovering that 8th sucks a big one. So now I have too much models to paint, while also playing 40K and Horus Heresy, the latter of which I'm really invested in.

Fortunately I have a friend with an airbrush, so at least there's a light at the end of this tunnel.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 12:14:41 AM »
My Empire is healthy and happy! It's never really finished because I'm constantly adding to it without actually sinking much time into painting it. I've just recently picked up maybe a dozen metal OOP characters, plus some good old fashioned kislevites. I've also spent a fair time converting up human figures from other ranges and armies to fit with my empire army.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 02:21:27 AM »

I almost sold my army a few years ago, and did sell off some historical miniatures that found use in my Marienburg army (landsknecht pike & shot minis, plus a Burgundian Ordonnance army that sometimes loaned a few units to the Marienburgers...) but otherwise, I'm still working on it.

I don't play much these days. The last games of WFB the army saw were a few games of WFB 3rd edition at the Oldhammer USA event in 2016. I've used them more recently in Kings of War. I'd like to play more of both games in the future. I've also been distracted by the idea of a larger narrative and multiple campaign ideas surrounding Marienburg. These involve an Army of the Dead, the mysterious dwellers of the surrounding marches & moors -- the Fomorians/Fimir, the antics of an armed trading company from Marienbug's hinterland -- the Jackrabbit Trading Company, and various mercenary regiments that will theoretically work their way in to the stories/campaigns/games and also serve to flush out the area surrounding Marienburg & the Wasteland.

I had started collecting photos of the army on my blog, but just realized that I need to add a lot more photos. For what it's worth, here's what I've collected so far: http://www.zerotwentythree.com/p/army-of-marienburg.html

As far as what's slated for the future of Marienburg's forces:

• I'm currently working on the last MM41 Ogre to complete my collection.
  • A mounted mage is sitting on my desk, partially painted. But I'm stuck for colors.
  • Same for a standard bearer on foot.
  • I have a bunch of the old multi-part plastics that I'd like to paint up as halberdiers to boost those numbers.
  • I need to reintroduce pikemen to the army. All of those were lost when I parted with the historical miniatures. I do still have about 30 of them unpainted (and would like more.)
  • I have a hero on a griffin put together and primed, but still in need of paint.
  • A bunch of other characters!
  • I also have enough landsknecht dwarfs to double (or more) my numbers of those.
  • At some point I will also receive some landsknecht halflings from Westfalia's KS too.
  • I've got an entire Sea Elf allied contingent planned specifically for Marienburg. I started on some scouts & light cav a while ago, but didn't get very far. I also have a bunch of plastics planned for use as oldschool 3rd ed. "merchant companies"mixed spear & bow units. (Alternately, I may sell those off an use the new Oathmark plastic elves, which look really good.)

Plus some of the mercenary regiments alluded to above are possible for inclusion in Marienburg forces.... or against. I've started a mercenary side project, still very much a work in progress, at https://omfghammer.blogspot.com/

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 05:54:42 AM »
I have a shit ton of models, some of them OOP, some of them Forge World. Like, I have 70 Handgunners alone. I've built this army for 8th edition, before discovering that 8th sucks a big one.

Sounds like me back in 2013.  :Ohmy:

I got over it by painting a quarter, selling a quarter, and storaging a half. This method has worked for me, although it took some two or three years of serious painting. I'm now in the process of digging out the storaged figures, again painting a quarter, selling a quarter, and re-storaging the rest. Although without a real impetus to paint a playable army, the process is much slower now, and I'm constantly side-tracked by other projects & nice models I come by.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:04:43 AM »
I've been ever adding to my Empire army since I first started it, nearly 20 years ago

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »
I made a big push at the end of 8th edition to finish up some projects, so my Empire and Ogres are complete at around 3-4K points each. As is my undead force except for a plastic manticore that I wanted to paint up to be Dieter Helsnicht.

These days it's mostly Warhammer Quest stuff and some older Warhammer models to use as D&D minis.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
They are all gone. Sold of to new glories. I only keep my Mortar, Chalice of Sigmars Wrath.

But I got loads of unpainted minis, still there remain a bunch of heroes with steel in hand and a prayer to Sigmar on their lips.

I am considering making a Kings of War army for the League of Rhordia. Should have enough minis for it plus a bunch of Frostgrave Warbands.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 12:55:32 PM »
The reason I lined up many of my Empire figures on a white foam poster board was to be able to see what needed to be done and start getting more of it done.  I've been dragging my feet on that one and distracted by so many other projects.

Need to focus on some of them soon though, because I'm using a group of them for a Lion Rampant German army. The list for them includes a unit of mounted crossbowmen, and I used Empire figures converted using various kits like pistoliers, free company, and even from the greatsword plastic kit.  I have six of these done up for the W-E Tilean campaign, and there mostly painted.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
One thing that's really helped my Empire army is just how many new games there are that can use Empire stuff really easily, as well as how many new companies make models that fit in with Empire.

I've used a great deal of older GW, especially wizards and militia kits, to make Frostgrave warbands. With some trays made up most of my regiments see action in Kings of War, 9th age and good old fashioned 8th. Since January I've had four games of 8th, 3 games of 7th, somewhere between 5 and 10 games of frostgrave, five games of AoS and plenty of 40k. That's just my wargamming, my RPG time (That includes a great deal of models as well) would be even more.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 02:53:52 AM »
I've been ever adding to my Empire army since I first started it, nearly 20 years ago

same here. why stop when I am having so much fun.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 03:39:31 AM »
One thing that's really helped my Empire army is just how many new games there are that can use Empire stuff really easily, as well as how many new companies make models that fit in with Empire.

I agree. Given that I had already grown dissatisfied with 8th ed. and the tournament fixation of WFB well before GW decided to end the universe, I think the death of WFB was a bit of a boon.

I like that many people are now willing to try other games, minis, and styles of play. Almost like a return to the gaming era of my younger years, when it wasn't so focused on an obsession with a single manufacturer/game.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 03:42:39 AM »
We should also start a "Status of Your Empire Army PHOTOS" thread.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »
Myy Empire been untouched for months. Mainly because I've been painting Dread Elves.
Still have a ton of Empire mini's unassembled. And I spent loads of time ripping empire spear men off their unit filler bases I did way back when I started 8th. ...put them on cause I though it would be easier to use them that way. Over time I resented tgeir pose and newb basing stuff I used. Skills are better now so I will paint them when I get bored with dread elves.

Looking forward to making 6 more ThunderWolf conversions.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
Untouched and unplayed since AoS came out  :icon_frown:
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »

Same here.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »

Unplayed for me too yes, but thats more a result of real life (kids).

Touched them a lot though. Glued heaps over the past year maybe.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »
Played a few times in AoS, not played WFB much more than 4 or 5 times since AoS came out.  There is a massive backlog to finish painting my old Empire armies - that said I've painted a few pieces here and there.   As they're pretty much all allocated as Empire armies, I might start a new Freeguild army, with new miniatures for AoS

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
That said, I do actually play quite a bit of 6th edition with my friends. We're having a lot of fun and we're even currently writing our first skirmish campaign. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
Apart from a few additions, my Middenheim army has been parked for the last 4 years while I painted Vampires and Space Marines. I do have some models to paint to add to it, though at over 600 strong you might think I had plenty already.

We did get it out of its boxes the Christmas before last for a couple of games, but we don't really play WHFB any more, just Frostgrave now and then.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »
My army's getting nervous.  Another tank and a whole regiment of halberdiers have been awaiting paint for more than a year and a half...and in the meantime, a whole army of orcs has appeared, been painted, and claimed shelf space.  At this rate, my Reiklanders will be outnumbered by greenskins...in about five years.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 01:38:35 AM »
Dusty
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan