home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 142627 times)

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22Apr2020 - A little building)
« Reply #425 on: April 25, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »
My excitement for the ultimate culmination of this thread grows with every post.

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #426 on: April 25, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »
Truly incredible. :eusa_clap:

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #427 on: April 26, 2020, 06:14:59 AM »
What errantgamer said.   :::cheers:::
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #428 on: May 22, 2020, 05:50:24 AM »
My excitement for the ultimate culmination of this thread grows with every post.

Hold your horses, guys.  :blush:

----------------------------------------
Update time but, don’t get too excited. Volganof isn’t even an inch closer.

First up, I was intrigued by GW’s white contrast paint. Would it be possible to slap on ‘one thick coat’ and have nice white with awesome shading? Seemed too good to be true. I had to try it and turns out it was. Here are Reiklander Schuetzen.

Not too happy with the contrast white. It pools as a kind of grey that doesn’t look very cloth like. I suppose it might work better on some kind of Star Wars Stormtrooper-style models. More of a plastic or ceramic kind vibe. Anyway, the Schuetzen will still shoot just fine.

A close-up with another recent addition, a nice Beast Mage I was able to get from our very own Artobans Ghost. I think I might get close to having representatives from all eight colleges on foot. Mounted not so much. I really like the chunky wizard sculpts of this generation with all their trinkets. I had eyed this model for years on ebay and never noticed his little friend there on the shoulder.

On the chaos side I did add Khorne at its Khorniest. Knights in all their baroque glory!

I wish these guys were scaled just a bit smaller, not just because then they wouldn't be such a royal pain to rank up but also because they make all my character models look like weedy teenagers.

The champion rolled well on that RoC table of yore. Bestial face!

They shall be lead to battle by a proper BSB-hero. Let me introduce you to Marbaal. Some call him the Mighty, some slander him as the oft-defeated. But, nobody can deny he got a bad deal when Khorne handed out the steeds. His goal in life is to challenge his famous brother in mortal combat and take his hound.

This was a fun conversion based on an Arbaal torso/head and way old chaos knight legs. Arbaal is comically small by today's standards (except for his axe of course) so I had to put in a bit of a belly extension. Looking forward to getting this guy cannon'ed off the board turn one.

Now, I have it on good authority that Lord Mortkin has no need for their service at Volganof. These knights will need to find skulls for the skull throne elsewhere.

Upward and onward (just not always towards Volganof!)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
p.s. looks like photobucket finally got around to destroying my old old pictures in this thread (they were only fuzzy for a while, now completely gone). Wasn't there some cheeky trick to get the links to work again without hosting the pictures someplace else? My memory fails me.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
You have done that mage complete justice. Beautiful. And I have to admit, I never noticed his familiar as well.
He most definitely went to the right home 😺☝️
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Liking the looks of that Chaos Cavalry! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
whoa they look great  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
p.s. looks like photobucket finally got around to destroying my old old pictures in this thread (they were only fuzzy for a while, now completely gone). Wasn't there some cheeky trick to get the links to work again without hosting the pictures someplace else? My memory fails me.

PB is barely functional for me at the moment, though my old pics all still to be there posting new ones is not really happening. Just when I'd really got the hang of the new editor on it, too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Hearing something like that is just another reason not to use them as a platform to host photos.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Love the progress you're making!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline wdv331

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 21May2020 - Handgunner & Big bad knights)
« Reply #436 on: June 13, 2020, 11:07:31 PM »
awesomeness! and i agree errantgamer looks great to me too!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:20:50 AM by wdv331 »

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #437 on: July 10, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
wait, you were UNHAPPY with that contrast white result? it looks great to me!  :::cheers:::

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #438 on: August 31, 2020, 02:20:11 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words!  :::cheers:::
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30Aug20
Follow up on the Khorne theme, let's dial it to eleven. A bloodthirster! He is big, he is bad and now he is finally painted!

Painting this model was quite the trip. The photos are a bit washed out, the wing membranes do have quite a bit more yellow in it, happy how that panned out. And then I tried to have the overall model a darker red at the bottom up to an angrier red at the top. I was a bit too timid with the gradation, I will give myself a B- for that aspect. The previous owner had scraped off all the details from the axe blade, after some putzing around I settled for smooth blue-ish metal there, best I could do. On the whole quite happy with the model.

Now this guy is actually on the roster to do bad bad things to the defenders of Volganof (unless the cannons get him first!). The chaos side actually gets an unreasonable number of Greater Daemons but, I think I moaned about that before so I will hold it in this time. Current status is only 18 more models to completion for the chaos side though there are some big whoppers among those, e.g. Lord Mortkin himself. Also progress on the city building has been rather tardy lately. Volganof is still a bit over the horizon.

In non-Volganof but at least Empire news, I recently had the opportunity (Thanks again, Artobans Ghost) to get my grubby paws on some of my favorite Empire archers from the glory days.

The label on their tabs (Bergjaeger and Forstjaeger) brought back some fuzzy memories and I decided to investigate. Turns out way back when in 3rd edition Warhammer Armies, the Empire could field two kinds of archers.

Really the only difference is the armor, kind of overdone in the models, that armor does not look so light, Forstjaeger here:

And Bergjaeger here:

(though, just to confuse you, the guy on the left is modern plastic)

Why armor would be appropriate in the forest but not in the mountains, only GW knows. The modern plastic archer fit in quite nicely with the Bergjaeger, if I can get a hold of a few more guys with armor, I could nicely split this into two units and fill up the Bergjaeger with plastics.

Anyway, probably way more than you wanted to know about the Empire Jaeger Corps. Currently working my way through some shiny Knights of the Blazing Sun, so that likely will be next.

Upward and onward

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 30Aug2020 - Archer & Bloodthirster)
« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2020, 02:43:07 AM »
I like the demon, and I really like the archers! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #440 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
Interesting history.

Odd that the Scout is a point more expensive than the forester with his light armour.

I guess Scouts had special rules to earn the difference?

I have several of those old metal archers - lovely minis.

I know the modern plastics have great versatility and fantastic detail, but there is just something about all those Empire metal infantry figures of the 90's.
The Halberdiers and Characters mainly, but the Spearmen and Swordsmen weren't bad either.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
Fantastic as usual. I had no idea those archers could look so good. They certainly made it to the right home 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »
I have two of those metal archers, both currently on my painting desk, the one in the middle of the first photo not firing, and the one on the right in the second photo.  They are being painted in white and olive green to use as Westerland archers, or even Stirland River Patrol archers.  Don't believe I have any of the other metal archers, yet keeping an eye out for them.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #443 on: September 01, 2020, 01:35:15 AM »
cheers, GP. Now, don't get between me and a couple more metal archers  :icon_wink: Pretty sure Artobans Ghost is tapped out.

Interesting history.

Odd that the Scout is a point more expensive than the forester with his light armour.

I guess Scouts had special rules to earn the difference?

I have several of those old metal archers - lovely minis.

I know the modern plastics have great versatility and fantastic detail, but there is just something about all those Empire metal infantry figures of the 90's.
The Halberdiers and Characters mainly, but the Spearmen and Swordsmen weren't bad either.

Scouts are not elaborated on in Warhammer Armies. Maybe there is something in the main rulebook, didn't dig that far. Both units can be upgraded to skirmishers for the princely sum of 0pts.

As far as charming goes, you are right. maybe it's the shapely thighs some are flashing (e.g. the armored guy on the right)?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #444 on: September 01, 2020, 02:06:42 AM »
Scouts used skirmish formation but could fight against formed units. Normally skirmishers can't charge formed units and must flee if charged.

Foresters move through woods without penalty, and if in woods can spend a turn setting traps for enemy units that subsequently move i to those woods.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #445 on: September 01, 2020, 03:00:41 AM »
Ha! The two archer units have totally different rules and I was just an ignoramus. Thanks ZeroTwentythree for setting the record straight.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #446 on: September 02, 2020, 05:42:54 PM »
Nice painting!

Really the only difference is the armor, kind of overdone in the models, that armor does not look so light

Back in the day there was light armour and heavy armour. Essentially, light armour was half armour, and heavy armour was 3/4 to full armour.

So in the rules sense the light armour is correct. Maybe thinking of 15th/16th century foresters it looks rather heavy. A mail shirt or gambeson might have been more fitting. But those were for Bretonnia. Breastplates were the hallmark of Empire!  :closed-eyes:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #447 on: September 06, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »
Fantastic looking archers.

This must be one of the oldest running projects in modelling history at this point :D

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #448 on: September 06, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
cheers, Zygmund.

yes, something that is not clanky metal seems a bit more appropriate for stealthy foresters but, I suppose not passing for dirty brets is a good enough reason.  :::cheers:::

Fantastic looking archers.

This must be one of the oldest running projects in modelling history at this point :D

God no! There are much more venerable threads here and elsewhere. I'd say this project, much like me, is still solidly middle-aged  :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #449 on: January 26, 2021, 07:24:54 AM »
25Jan2021
Why would it take so long to update? Not sure, I think taking pictures just isn’t my favorite thing to do (though posting pictures and chatting a bit with you certainly is). Well, I have been painting over the last couple month and some of it was Empire, so here we go, the promised Blazing Sun Knights with a 'by the book' paintjob.

A unit mostly with the old command here

And then not quite as old here

The latter are from a Blazing Sun upgrade pack that come out much later than the plastic knights. I always liked the bits but it seemed a bit pricey for what it was and then it was gone. Then for years one could spend a fortune on ebay if any came up at all and so I bid my time (…or rather just gave up). Until, one random day, a fine gentlemen going by gorfung on EEFL and elsewhere just stumbled upon some in a lonely hobby store somewhere in the frozen north that had a treasure trove of old GW. And, instead of making that fortune on ebay he passed it on to fellow hobbyists at cost. This of course meant painting up all the old metal Blazing sun I had in my stash and filling up the units with plastic knights to make use of the two commands.

So, Grandmaster facing off. very old on the left and less old but still old by now (and technically a unit champion) on the right.

And standard bearers

And musicians

(okay fine, there was no musician for the original set, that one is a hack job)

Lastly troopers, some sit in the saddle a bit better than others. I did go full on green stuff/mold to make enough of the shields. Helps give the unit a bit more character.

This completes my tetrad of the 4th edition Knightly Orders. One hobby life goal off the list.

Upward and onward!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:49:20 PM by Naitsabes »