home

Author Topic: Well trained roman style troops  (Read 2702 times)

Offline commandant

• Members
Well trained roman style troops
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:49:30 PM »
Javelin Swordsman -

WS 4 BS 4 S3 T3 I3 W1 A1 L8 - points 12

Equipment: Javelin, Sword, Shield, Heavy Armour

Special rules:
Javelin swordsmen can throw their javelins when they charge or as a stand and shoot charge reaction.

Ideas

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
Re: Well trained roman style troops
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:15:23 PM »
A nice idea, but not really in keeping with the Empire theme sadly.   :icon_sad:
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
I was thinking on that and I thought maybe they could have pistols instead of javelins

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »
Drilled and stubborn.  Check out the rules for roman legionarys in the Warhammer ancients book.

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Davido

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
or maybe even a better armour save on swordsmen to represent them working in unison to push the enemy back forming interlocking shields
Yay my rocket battery finally killed something.What do you mean those are my halberdiers.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
or maybe even a better armour save on swordsmen to represent them working in unison to push the enemy back forming interlocking shields

That is what the +1 fpr having a hand weapon and shield is all about. . .

I actually wouldn't mind these troops but as a stand alone army rather then part of the empire. The Empire relies on more historical holy roman empire themes from the 14th century then the actual Roman imperial legions.

I think if there was an army of 'Reman legions' or 'The Reman Empire' it would be an unbeatable force with huge potential. You could potentially have three differant periods to draw from.

The early republican legions which did so well to conquor the italian peninsula and then carthage, spain, greece and asia minor. Then you could have the days of the imperial heyday from 45-200ish A.C.E(after common era) when the roman empire was in its hayday and had conquored gaul, brittania, parts of germania, mesopotamia, a chunk of dacia, egypt and north africa.

Then it gets even better you could say when the barbarians swept through and the roman army changed the way they fought.
Limitanei and Comitatensei??? with the new cavalry tactics like the roman eastern horse archers and cataphracts the eastern empire developed to fight off the huns and persian empire. Or the barbarian troops that the west introduced in their armies.

So much information, why dont they make one huh? I want one now.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
They have, look up the warhammer historical books, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Hannibal and the punic wars, Spartacus, Fall of the west, The age of Arthur, and last but not least Byzantium beyond the Golden Gate.  All of these deal with specifically the different roman armies through 1000-1200 years of technological and sociological development, as well of course with their various enemies.

These books specifically are why I made the comment "drilled and stubborn"

they also have made a catch all medieval book called the armies of chivalry, which include the Holy roman empire, the italian condottieri states, the teutonic order, The kingdom of poland, Russia, Burgundian ordonnance, Switzerland, French ordonnance, and many others. 

No excess fluff you can look in a real history book for that, just lots of lists.

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »
Nice. I have always wanted to get warhammer historical, unfortunately the problem of living in townsville is there is only one warhammer shop in the entire district and it has a limited selection. I suppose I could always try to order them in.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
I realize this is probably just gas poured on a fire but they DO mail order right on the warhammer historical site.  google warhammer historical you can't help but find it.

"DEfighter wrote: