home

Author Topic: Memoir '44 ...  (Read 4278 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Memoir '44 ...
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
Saw Midaski and Soth playing this game, Memoir 44, in a picture from the 2013 Eurobash and it looks interesting ...

Here's a link ot the company who makes it ...

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

Wiki says it uses an enhanced system simlar to Command and Colors, and Battle Cry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoir_'44
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: Memoir '44 ...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
Its a really fun quick game.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »
Looks like two elitist gamers are trying to look too exclusive...  :engel:
My hood is my castle...

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
Wiki says it uses an enhanced system simlar to Command and Colors, and Battle Cry.

Yeah, I thought it looked somewhat like Battle Cry.  If it is then I'd agree about the ease and quickness of the games.  There's limitation in tactics and strategy with Battle Cry but still fun.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/551/battle-cry
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »
There is a Memoir 44 online on Steam.

Free to play of some sort.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
Here's the free on-line version from the makers themselves ...

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/

Not sure I'm thrilled with that idea, and some how there's still value for me in playing board games in person.  But that seems to be a digression.

Just saw on their website that the basic version costs $60.

Is it just me, or are board games making a resurgence?  Maybe I'm just noticing them again, and my perspective is skewed on this.  Yep, another digression. :icon_lol:

I like that Memoir '44 comes with miniatures! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »
Yeah, free to play the first two missions, but you need to pay in gold ingots for the rest, or something. I'm downloading it to have a look.

And yeah, lately I've noticed boardgames getting a lot of lovin'. I ended up buying 6 or so last year, and would buy more this year.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
Its a good fun game. I handed Aldaris his arse at it at the bash.

Soth has printed out quality maps on vinyl of the set ups so no tiles on boards slipping around which really made a great difference.

I intend to buy it, as does Midaski, and beg Soth to print us off a copy of the maps
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
The steam computer is cheating .....all the time.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
I personally feel a resurgence in board games, but not sure it is reflected or whether it needed a resurgence. Just something in my geekitude I’ve never really participated in. I’d love to do so more! risk 2210 is awesometastic.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I don't think it's a resurgence. There has always been a huge Boardgaming crowd. I suspect you've only just recently noticed them because of the boardgame thread here. I know I've been playing a lot more boardgames in the last year. I've purchased about 30.

I'd never looked at Memoir 44, but I said to myself "Looks like Battle Cry." about 1 second after seeing Soth and Midaski's picture there. The difference between Memoir 44 and Battle Cry is that Battle Cry didn't have any further support and Memoir 44 has at least 10 expansions for it, maybe even closer to 20.

Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
It's a bit of resurgence if you consider that you can get "geeky" games at Borders and Barnes and Noble now -  I've seen Settlers, Carcasonne, and many games by Days of Wonder and other smaller publishers.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Its a good fun game. I handed Aldaris his arse at it at the bash.

To be fair Aldaris is a terrible player of any game he plays, so not much of an achievement.  :engel:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
The difference between Memoir 44 and Battle Cry is that Battle Cry didn't have any further support and Memoir 44 has at least 10 expansions for it, maybe even closer to 20.

For the 150th anniversary Battle Cry was re-released.  I don't know if there were any improvements or changes, though.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:50 AM »
I saw that version of Battle Cry when Miniature Market had their open warehouse sale a couple weeks ago. I saw a copy of it sitting on one of their shelves and was surprised as I knew it had been out of print for quite some time.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 03:56:49 AM »
It's a bit of resurgence if you consider that you can get "geeky" games at Borders and Barnes and Noble now -  I've seen Settlers, Carcasonne, and many games by Days of Wonder and other smaller publishers.
But I thought Borders was dead  :unsure:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 04:28:39 AM »
I personally feel a resurgence in board games, but not sure it is reflected or whether it needed a resurgence. Just something in my geekitude I’ve never really participated in. I’d love to do so more! risk 2210 is awesometastic.

I've noticed too. I think it's because we Millenials are aging(taking on adult jobs, et cetera). It's hard to get the same people together for a weekly RPG. We still like Minis games of course, but there's less time to paint. Enter the boardgame - scratches the gaming itch, cost-effective, fun, less odious to non-gaming SOs...

It seems like there are a lot more options for the less competitive crowd. I was in a weekly boardgame group ten years ago, and just about everything on the market was pretty cut-throat. It seems like nowadays there are a lot of cooperative games where the players work together as a team. EG, Shadows Over Camelot, Arkham Horror, Battlestar Galactica, et cetera.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »
I don't think it's a resurgence. There has always been a huge Boardgaming crowd. I suspect you've only just recently noticed them because of the boardgame thread here. I know I've been playing a lot more boardgames in the last year. I've purchased about 30.
Thats worse than me.  I've bought 8 in 7 months, mostly all oldtimers though.  Definitely a resurgence for me.

However, I've also seen more players at local store playing them than a few years back.  And at a local convention, there were way more playing board games than any of the past 3 conventions, although attendence at the convention was also up.

I'd never looked at Memoir 44, but I said to myself "Looks like Battle Cry." about 1 second after seeing Soth and Midaski's picture there. The difference between Memoir 44 and Battle Cry is that Battle Cry didn't have any further support and Memoir 44 has at least 10 expansions for it, maybe even closer to 20.
Saw all the Memoir '44 expansion items, although this doesn't really attract me too much.  The initial purchase is $60 and thats more than I paid for any of the other games recently bought.  Going to really need to like the game for me to buy more.

I haven't seen Battle Cry.  However, when I was a kid, Milton Bradley produced a Battle Cry game that covered the entire ACW with one big map.  I recall playing it many times, although it had a quirky system that doesn't lead me to want to play more, except maybe for nostalgia.  With the hex grid on Memoir '44, it does remind of Command and Colors a bit, the latter I've only played once, and as a Miniature table top game using the system on a large playing area, and yes, with hexes.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »
But I thought Borders was dead  :unsure:
Yep, out of business it went.  Meanwhile, B&N has more space in its stores for toys than ever before, which I totally despise, its supppose to be a book store, which it still sells, but with the advances in technology, and probably looking to avoid the Borders route, suppose carrying more games like Memoir '44 isn't a bad idea.

And here's an interesting idea ... they got those cafe's inside, which I like, it'd be neat to see them open up space, even if it cost to rent a table, like $1 to play, and meet folks there to play games like Memoir '44.  I would take advantage of this if it was offered.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
Best thing about the Memoir 44 game.....the sound reminds me of INdiana jones.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »
Does the boxed set come with sound, too? :icon_wink:

:engel:

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Boardgames is fun! I wish I had some to play them with.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
I thought that was why wargamers had children?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
Most of Fandir's pics from the Eurobash were taken at the tabletop gaming end of the HQ gaming club.

This photo shows some of their collection of boardgames in the background - they have a series of smaller tables for boardgames that occupies an area around 75% of what you see for the tabletop battles.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
I thought that was why wargamers had children?

Can't push your kids too hard into your hobby, or else they'll rebel and go out for the football team.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".