home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 636785 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #10400 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
"Aye, boss," Ragni says to Julian, clearly unhappy that he won't get to fight the ogre.

Max laughs at Admund's joke about handing over their heads. "Thankfully, Clan Lianllach don't seem to know who killed those elves." He frowns. "I hope they don't find out, either. I've heard that humans suspected of crimes against elves disappear in this city.

"Um, I do think the temple will help as much as they can, but as Mr Julian says there's not much evidence that the elves will accept. I mean, the priests can testify that he's a necromancer, and show the amulet... but the elves can claim it's a conspiracy against them. And they really will be furious about one of their own being imprisoned by humans.

"We need something they can't ignore. If there's evidence in the shipyard, and we get one of the other clans to present it... well, that might be good enough.

"About the ogre... um, you're right about the food, Mortus. Ogres are famously obsessed with eating. What if we drugged the food so he went to sleep for a few hours?"
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10401 on: December 11, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
"I guess it wouldn't be the first time someone wants my head." Admund shrugs and adjusts his sling. "Suppose the same for you to Heinrich. If we suddenly disappear, I guess you'd know why. Probably more humiliating to elf pride that a one handed swordsman is responsible."

He runs his fingers through his hair for a moment and thinks. "Hans, Heinrich, what if frame this search as a bounty hunt? Might get us more credence for poking 'round near the fishermen, and if we get caught in the shipyard."

Admund rummages through his bag, "I've still got this vial of Oxleaf, too. The manbane should be enough, and we don't want to kill the chap, just knock him out a little, right? This might be useful if we need to use it on other guards or something..."

...though I don't know how much help I'd be with only one arm."

"Max, Julian, and Ragni need to attend this meeting. Mortus, you're welcome to go wherever you choose. We may need your magics to cause people to fall asleep."

"What say you?"
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10402 on: December 11, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
"Make no mistake, if we get caught in the shipyard we're dead, and that's that. Won't matter what we say. In and out, kill or knock-out the ogre, whatever.  This shipyard owner is a racist and from a clan we think is rotten, right?"

Hans thinks for a moment.

"It's probably worth the try though. All this shit from Etelka's box should knock him and his dogs out well enough. I reckon it's worth finding out what he eats and trying to get it into his food before we go."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10403 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »
"From what I've read," Max says, "ogres will eat just about anything. So we could just get a pie, or a joint of meat, or something like that, and add the poison to it. Um, then put it somewhere he'll find it." He frowns. "That doesn't sound very easy to do, actually. And even an ogre might be suspicious if he stumbles upon an unexpected pie."

"Axing the big bugger in his ugly face'd be easier!" Ragni mutters.

"It'd be noisy though, Ragni. Um, like Hans said, it wouldn't do to be caught by the elf militia. Maybe... maybe we could prepare the pie, then arrange for it to be delivered to the shipyard? Make sure it arrives after nightfall when just the ogre is there. Um, is that a ridiculous idea? I'm not sure. Maybe Trancas would help us do that?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10404 on: December 12, 2016, 12:25:26 AM »
"Not that hard - just a bit slow. We need to find out who supplies the ogre his food. I doubt it's elf-made. He'll be eating some cheap rubbish. We can interfere with it and poison him that way."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10405 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »
"Ah, that does sound like a good idea!" Max says, "We'd just need to do a bit of detective work. Um... maybe the ogre's food is supplied by that slaughterhouse in Guilderveld? The one Etelka's journal made some nasty hints about."
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10406 on: December 12, 2016, 05:14:35 PM »
"I will go I think," Mortus says quietly

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10407 on: December 15, 2016, 03:42:05 AM »
"That's the trick, Ragni. Axing is always easier. Trust me, I'd rather this just come down to swords and grit, but we need to tread carefully. If we leave a trail of bodies and destruction, the elves might connect the evidence Julian presents to us. It won't give the evidence much of a voice, if we become vandals that destroy half of elftown in the process."

Admund takes a drink while Hans talks. He wipes his mouth on his sleeve, and nods in agreement.

"Aye, this slaughter house is a good place to start. We get the ogre sick or asleep. This might give us a chance to sneak in."
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10408 on: December 17, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
The party return to Guilderveld, traveling by boat. Once there they split into two groups.

[Heinrich, Admund, Hans]

At the northernmost end of Guilderveld, near the Westbrug Bridge that connects the district to the Schattinwaard, is Groenewoud's slaughterhouse. The two buildings - the butcher's shop and the slaughterhouse itself - are inside a walled compound on Three Fools' Lane. A large gateway allows access to the courtyard, and at this time of day the gate is open. The shop also has a door onto the main street, as well as a window displaying the cuts of meat available. A brass plaque by the shop door reads: Fine Meats and Fish. B. Groenewoud, prop.

Inside the courtyard, two men are loading a cart. Behind them is the slaughterhouse: a large, thick-walled building with no windows. A huge dog is chained nearby.

[Mortus, Julian, Max, Ragni]

The Bridge Embattled, the inn named in the note, is in the heart of Guilderveld, beside the Roelandius Canal. The bridge itself is long gone, but the inn's sign shows a surprisingly cheerful scene of Marienburg soldiers defending a bridge against invading Middenlanders. The Middenlanders are accompanied by a few elves, thought this is presumably artistic license rather than accurate history.

Inside, the inn has a low ceiling with creaking beams. Decorative shields hang on the walls. A group of dwarfs are playing cards at one table, surrounded by a thick cloud of pipe-smoke. The other tables are occupied by humans, most of them quite well-dressed. A group of apprentices are engaged in a raucous drinking game in one corner. There are no elves around.

"What were we meant to ask for?" Ragni says.

"Um, the note said, Stoneshower Ale," Max replies.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:21:24 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10409 on: December 18, 2016, 11:15:27 PM »
Admund steps of the boat, and walks slowly toward the shop. He halts a ways up the road and observes the establishment for a few minutes, appearing to be talking to his friends.

"Alright lads, what's the play here? Two bounty hunters and a sell sword, looking to pickup some fine mutton?"

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10410 on: December 19, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
Mortus will go to the bar and ask for Stoneshower Ale

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10411 on: December 19, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
Julian follows behind Mortus "make that four". He takes his coin purse from his cloak and pays for the beers.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10412 on: December 20, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »

The barman looks at Mortus, narrowing his eyes. Then he looks at Julian, and says, "Champion?"

"Uh, that's right," Max says.

The barman nods. "This way." He shows them into a private room where a table is waiting. Then he leaves, returning shortly with five mugs of ale. "One's for him. He'll be here soon," he says, before leaving again.

Ragni tries the ale. "Hey, this is dwarf beer! It's good!"

"It certainly is," Max says. "I wonder where it's brewed?"

"The Sea-hold of Barak Varr," a deep, melodic voice says. "It is brewed with water that has filtered through half a mile of rock." A tall figure walks swiftly across the room to the table. The newcomer wears a plain burgundy cloak with the hood drawn up. He sits down and throws back the hood. He's a male elf, very dark-skinned, with closely-cut hair. Beneath the cloak he wears the practical clothing of a sailor.

"Barak Varr!" Ragni says, unable to contain his excitement. "You've been there? It must be amazing!"

The elf smiles; widely, genuinely. "Many times, young dwarf. A true wonder of this world." He picks up the fifth mug of ale and drinks. "I thought this ale would appeal. It is one I enjoy myself. Now: you are the Graf's Champion?" he says, speaking to Julian. Max quickly makes the proper introductions.

"I am Neralon, an explorer and vagabond of the sea." The elf grins. "Your visit to the Lianllach mansion was less pleasant than it could have been. Our dear brothers are not polite. I have been sent to undo - as much as possible - the negative impression you have been given of Sith Rionnasc'namishathir. As my note said, one clan is not eight clans. Indeed, Elftown speaks with as many voices as there are elves within it.

"My clan is Tallaindeloth. We do not involve ourselves in politics, as a rule. But we have concerns about Lianllach. Old rumours have grown sharper of late. Whispers become shouts. And now, there is you. The dwarf who speaks for Middenheim. Do we share an interest?"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10413 on: December 20, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
[Heinrich, Admund, Hans]

As they watch from across the street, they see the shop door open. A woman leaves, holding a small package. Shortly after, two men stroll down the street, look in the window, then go into the shop.

Meanwhile, the men in the courtyard have finished loading the cart. One of them goes to the slaughterhouse door and knocks. It is opened by an apprentice whose bare chest is splattered with dried (presumably animal) blood. The man goes inside with him, while the other man waits by the cart.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10414 on: December 23, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »
"great choice Neralon, this beer is quite excellent. I must admit I did not think it usual for elves to partake in dwarvish brew.

The visit to the mansion was unpleasant, but I believe could have been more so. I do not believe I am safe in your town"

I believe we share an interest, although I was hoping there'd be more clans here tonight. Still, working together we might be able to stop these dark elves."

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10415 on: December 24, 2016, 12:30:59 AM »

"Aren't there dwarfs that enjoy elven wine?" Neralon says lightly. "I have known some that do. Neither are all elves xenophobes and isolationists, though that distasteful element in our society is growing in strength. I'm sorry you felt unwelcome among my people. I wish I could tell you your fears were unfounded, but I cannot. Lianllach are determined to avenge the deaths of their members... some of them speak openly of seizing you and putting you on trial."

"But Sir Julian is an emissary of the Graf of Middenheim!" Max says, "surely they wouldn't dare?"

"They certainly would. Their reputation for arrogance is quite deserved." Neralon shakes his head. "To do so though would alienate the other clans. They would prefer a more diplomatic solution. But do not drop your guard, Sir Julian.

"As to the other clans: I am not here representing Tallaindeloth only. Other share our interest. They, however, are far more cautious, and are not ready to reveal themselves as Lianllach's enemies yet. But if I bring them a favourable report of our conversation, well..." he leaves the sentence unfinished, waving a hand.

When Julian mentions dark elves, Neralon appears to shudder very slightly. "Do not name them. The exiles, we call them - they who betrayed both gods and ancestors, and now rule cities of iron and death in the distant west." He is silent for quite some time. Then, he says, "we have heard that the three elves slain in Middenheim were necromancers. If that is so then they were unquestioningly of the exiles. They pervert the art of magic as they pervert all things."

"Aye, they were necromancers all right!" Ragni says. "Calling up ghosts and walking corpses and all sorts!"

Neralon nods. "My clan," he says, "are explorers before all else. Our ships are swift and wide-ranging, so that we see much and are difficult to catch. I myself have seen the black ships come to trade at the Silver Isles - lands belonging to Lianllach. Lately I have seen those ships much closer to Marienburg. I fear - my clan fears - an attack by the exiles. If there are already exiles walking openly among the ranks of Clan Lianllach then such an attack must be very close indeed.

"What more can you tell me about the necromancers?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10416 on: December 26, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »
"I guess" shrugs Hans, sounding unconvinced. "We need to work in the Elves or the Ogre somehow. Maybe ask if they supply Elf-town at all? Not sure if this fellow is the type to boast about his customers."

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10417 on: December 29, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
Admund nods at Hans. "Aye, but maybe one of his workers knows something."

Admund will stroll past the shopfront and look in the windows, non-chalantly. When he gets to the gate of the courtyard, he'll casually greet the man by the cart.

"G'Afternoon, do you work here?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10418 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »
[Heinrich, Admund, Hans]

Through the windows, Admund sees samples of the various products sold by the shop. Lying on crushed ice are cuts of beef, joints of lamb, sausages, hams, bacon, herring, eels, haddock, salmon, ducks, and geese. Beyond the display, Admund sees a fur-clad shop boy serving the two men he saw enter. He's packaging up a rack of ribs.

Admund passes by and approaches the courtyard gate. The guard-dog looks up at him, but doesn't growl yet. The cart is a small, two-wheeled vehicle pulled by a donkey. It has been loaded with wooded crates. The man beside it is short and rather broad, dressed in a plain shirt and breeches with heavy boots. When Admund addresses him, he removes his cap and turns around. There's an old scar across his forehead, and his sandy hair is thinning.

"Good day to you, sir," he says. "Aye, I'm a delivery man. If you're wanting to buy something, the shop's just there." He gestures towards the shop.

Just then, the slaughterhouse door opens again. The other man who was with the cart comes back out, accompanied by the apprentice. This cart-man is dressed like the other, though he's taller and has a thick beard. The apprentice wears dark trousers and boots, but is bare-chested and strongly-built. His hair sticks up awkwardly, and his face is bruised on one side. The two of them are carrying a crate between them.

"Got one more, Leo," the cart-man says to his comrade, "Bram here forgot it, bloody fool that he is."

"No problem. Load it up."
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10419 on: December 31, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
Heinrich casually leans on his unstrung bow stave, pretending a friendly conversation with Hans as he watches for any sign of trouble.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10420 on: January 02, 2017, 01:27:51 AM »
"Thanks, lad. Say, you lot don't deliver to Elftown, do you? I new in town, and just heard the name of your shop while crossin' the bridge over there. I figure they wouldn't be much interested in scraps, only fine cuts of meat and fish, given their tastes an'all..."

Admund is interrupted by the second man exiting the slaughterhouse. He glances over to see the apprentice with the bruise. "Ulric save you, that's quite a shiner, lad."

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10421 on: January 02, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
Hans keeps chatting to Heinrich while keeping an eye on Admund and the big apprentice.

"The bitch we killed ate meat supplied by this guy, reckoned it was human. She wrote it in her journal. Even she wasn't keen on eating people. If he's chopping people he won't be the only one who knows... reckon that big bloke had one fight back?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10422 on: January 02, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »
[Heinrich, Admund, Hans]

"Elftown?" the first man (whose name seems to be Leo) says, scratching his chin. "Well sir, we do and we don't, if you take my meaning. Funny you mentioned scraps, coz we got a couple of standing orders for entrails and heads and stuff. There's that pet shop, then there's some other elf who's got himself an ogre guard. Big orders those. But," he makes a face "the elfs don't let us do the delivering proper-like. We have to take the stuff across that bridge of theirs - real early in the morning - and pass it along to some elf haulers. Then they delivers it, and most likely gets the tips and such. Snooty buggers, elfs. Won't buy anything to eat their selves."

The other cart-man and the apprentice load the last box onto the cart. Admund speaks to the apprentice about his bruised face. He shrugs, and grunts "No big deal." The cart-man cuffs him around the head. "Mind your manners, lad!" he says. The apprentice looks unconcerned.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10423 on: January 02, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
"I uh, never met a dwarf that would admit drinking elven wine. Met a few halfway friendly elves too, but none I'd see drinking dwarven beer. It's refreshing to meet someone with such an open mind"

"Thanks for the warning, Neralon. I certainly felt like they would seize me if it came to it. Hopefully with the support of the other clans it won't.

I know little of the necromancers in Middenheim I'm afraid, except all three were slain after they fled. **were they trying to raise Kemmler or was that another sub plot?** Their necromancy was witnessed by many men inluding trusted advisors of the Graf. I have no doubt they were performing these dark deeds but as Llanliach are undoubtedly aware we have no evidence, apart from our word.

While in Marienburg I think I've met these Exiles twice. When my friends and I first arrived we witnessed a zombie attack upon a bridge. We slayed the abominations and attacked a cloaked figure in a boat, but once his boat tipped over we couldn't find him. We did find this though." Julian will present the ring he has. "I believe this belongs to the lord of the silver isles, but I know not their connection to Llanliach or the exiles.

I also stopped an elvish explosive device. I've never seen anything like it, but by throwing it into the water I diminished it's effect. Unfortunately the assailant died in an explosion of another device"

I am certain there are exiles within Llanliach, but I am not sure if they are infiltrators, or if they guide the whole clan, what are your instincts on that matter?

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10424 on: January 03, 2017, 03:02:12 AM »
Hans keeps chatting to Heinrich while keeping an eye on Admund and the big apprentice.

"The bitch we killed ate meat supplied by this guy, reckoned it was human. She wrote it in her journal. Even she wasn't keen on eating people. If he's chopping people he won't be the only one who knows... reckon that big bloke had one fight back?"

Heinrich laughs as if Admund has made a grand joke, and points down the street at a random store. "It's possible. I'm not sure we'll find out unless we go inside. Maybe we can case the place tonight, see what security's like after dark?"
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.