home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 801887 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11175 on: June 20, 2018, 08:15:26 AM »
Call me weird, but that rant-post actually made want to play the game even more. Sounds like it's irritating but also challenging. :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11176 on: June 20, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
You tried to fight on 3 fronts at the same time which from my experience of twarhammer 1 is a bad idea.
mass force and crush each enemy faction one at a time.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11177 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
In folowing "Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade" from the same creator: Realm War

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/25/25th-june-announcing-realm-wargw-homepage-post-3/

Warning: Turn away if you dislike Age of Sigmar.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11178 on: June 27, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
has anyone played any of:

endless legend

age of wonders 3

fallen enchantress: Legendary heroes

they're all 4x fantasy games that look fairly similar on the steam summer sale atm. recommendations? differences?

Pass the machete.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #11179 on: June 27, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »
Okay, the time has come...Steam sale, and Dawn of War is one sale.

Which ones do you recommend? I heard III is horrible, and you shouldnt pay more than $5 for it.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11180 on: June 27, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
has anyone played any of:

endless legend

age of wonders 3

fallen enchantress: Legendary heroes

they're all 4x fantasy games that look fairly similar on the steam summer sale atm. recommendations? differences?

I have Age of Wonders 3 and it's pretty good, but for some reason just never kept my attention. I don't think I've ever finished a game.

I have both the other ones but havn't played them yet. Endless Legend in particular looks really good to me but I know nothing about it.

Okay, the time has come...Steam sale, and Dawn of War is one sale.

Which ones do you recommend? I heard III is horrible, and you shouldnt pay more than $5 for it.

I have the first one and all the expansions and loved it. The second ones not to bad and I never tried the third one because it got ripped apart so much in reviews.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11181 on: June 27, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
i think they're quite different games iirc

DoW1 is Company of Heroes + 40k.
Dow2 was more a squad strategy game.

Pass the machete.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11182 on: June 27, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »
I'm not an RTS kinda guy but I am - or at least was - a Warhammer Whore, so I bought DoW1 when it came out and surprised myself by quite enjoying it.  It's one of the old-school RTS clicky fests, wherein you must capture resource points so you can build up your base so you can build more units so you can capture more resource points and so on ad infinitum.

I bought DoW2 on the strength of 1, and was disappointed.  It's not a bad game, it just wasn't what I was expecting.  It's far more RPG than RTS, even though it still uses RTS gameplay.  From what I've seen, many people seem to prefer this style, but I didn't.

I never tried 3 because it looked terrible and the reviews panned it.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11183 on: July 04, 2018, 04:19:55 AM »
Really wish Command and Conquer was getting a proper game than a mobile clash of clans type game.  Honestly I was hoping the reboot the series and start with the Brotherhood's rise to prominence.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11184 on: July 08, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »
Watching this really makes me want to do a co-op campaign with TW:Warhammer 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMpIPzh_AAM
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11185 on: July 09, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »
I've started playing Skyrim.  :icon_mrgreen:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11186 on: July 10, 2018, 12:23:17 PM »
I've started playing Skyrim.  :icon_mrgreen:

What do you think about it? I've been playing it on and off again for 4 years now, but the story is so thin, that I can't maintain my interest for long.

The world's great, tough.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11187 on: July 10, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
I find that with Bethesda games you need to role-play your own story.

Their worlds are beautiful, full with interesting places and characters. But at the same time their open nature and continuously level scaled encounters with auto-generated standard loot makes any quest feel rather flat. You can do a quest on level 5 or level 25 and basically nothing has changed, it's the same level of challenge. Which also makes you lose any sense of urgency. Fort X is about to be overrun? Damsel in 'imminent' distress? Gotta help some settlers get through dangerous territory?

Meh, maybe in a few weeks of game time, I'm busy crafting right now.

So I'm playing a mercenary Khajiit. He ran with the Imperial officer from the dragon because he thought that would give him the biggest chance for a pardon. Sure he wants to meet the Jarl and do a bit of stuff for rewards. Meet old mountain geezers to get some powers? Of course! But I'm not really feeling the urge to find their founder's axe/hammer/horn? (dunno really) I've got myself my own house and I'm looking for lucrative opportunities to enable me to furnish it.

I've actually already got a housekeeper for it..... I mean I gave this little orphan girl a place to live from the goodness of my heart!!

So I'm busy building my own story in the world and that helps to keep things fresh.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #11188 on: July 10, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
I still have to play Skyrim. And Divinity II. And Dragon Age I & II.  And the Witcher II & III. All games I have, but somehow never came around to actually play.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11189 on: July 11, 2018, 03:16:59 AM »
I have a new PC. With a decent enough video card that I could play WH:TW and the Witcher 3. Now just to find the time. Is there going to be a WH:TW3? Are Demons or Tomb Kings or Ogres or Chaos Dwarves in it yet?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11190 on: July 11, 2018, 03:54:05 AM »
Tomb Kings are in Total Warhammer 2. Don't believe the rest are yet.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11191 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Tomb Kings are, the rest will be in TW:WH3 most likely.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11192 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
I can't wait to see how they'll make the Daemon faction. Chaos Dwarves and Kislev would be cool to see as well.

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11193 on: July 16, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
i bought Halcyon 6
Domina
Broforce on the steam sale.

Broforce is fun and silly, but i've played it co-op with my brother for 3 about hours and feel I've about exhausted it for me personally.

Domina I didn't really enjoy, the combat itself is weird and too fast. I'd rather it just be a sim/management game.

Halcyon 6 the best of the 3 so far

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11194 on: July 16, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
Broforce on the steam sale.

Broforce is fun and silly, but i've played it co-op with my brother for 3 about hours and feel I've about exhausted it for me personally.

Broforce is play for 1 session and discard. Draws on The Expendibles characters.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11195 on: July 18, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »
I might try it out. Broforce, I mean. So far I've finished Infinite Warfare's campaign and it was really, really cool. Gonna jump into multiplayer soon, see if I still have the online chops.

Gneisenau

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11196 on: July 19, 2018, 02:40:17 AM »
Anyone tried 40k Gladius or whatever it's called, the Civilisation 40k game?  It looks okay from what I've seen, but only four playable races is disappointing.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11197 on: July 19, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »
I've read a review that basically says "yeah, it's kind of fun - but in essence it's just civ with most of the options stripped out and only 4 factions". Doesn't sound too appealing to be honest.

On another note, I found out yesterday that Homeworld:Cataclysm is on GOG after all, they re-released it as Homeworld:Emergence. Didn't want to risk a scuffle with Blizzard over the name, but apart from that it's the real deal. That made me very happy, as it's always been my favourite Homeworld game, and word for many years was that the source code had been lost.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:26:29 AM by Aldaris »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11198 on: July 19, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
There was a nice discount for 'Hammer games a few days ago. Anyone knows if it's still running?

Gneisenau

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11199 on: August 01, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
I've been playing the pre-expansion content that is being released every week for WOW before the x-pac BFA comes out.  I have been playing both Horde and Alliance to get both sides of the story.  I would pretty much sum it up in one way:

― Jake the Dog