home

Author Topic: 2200pts vs High Elves  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Nikali

• Members
2200pts vs High Elves
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
Hi all,

Not done a battle report for a little while.

We've been playing a little escalation league at my local club. 4 rounds, starting at 1600pts and adding 300pts per round. This is one of my 3rd round games at 2200pts.

Escalations an interesting format, you have to pick an all comers list and think about what you add in the next round. So in this round my list looks a bit unbalanced....

Stirland Armoured Might:

Arch Lector with Shield, Sword of striking and Talisman of Endurance
Lvl 4 Light wizard with Dispel scroll

BSB bearer with Enchanted shield and Full plate
Pegi-cap with Charmed shield and Full plate
Engineer

9x IC Knights with greatswords and full command (yes 9... I will be adding Luthor Huss)
5x Knights with lances
5x Knights with lances
10x Archers (Lvl 4 here)
5x Archers
5x Archers

28x Greatswords with Full Command (Arch Lector and BSB here)
3x Demi Gryphs with lances
Great Cannon (engineer here until I get Helblaster!)
Steam Tank

I also had Banner of eternal flame because two opponents are running Throgg + 11 trolls and double Chimera  :icon_rolleyes:. Not much use against high elves though!

My opponents force looked like this

Lvl 3 Mage - High magic with Book of Hoeth and Talisman of Protection
Lvl 2 Mage - High magic
Noble BSB (not sure on gear?)

20x Phoenix Guard with Full command (lvl 3 here)
20x White Lions (Lvl 2 and Noble here)
20x Spearmen
20x Archers
2x Eagles
2x Bolt throwers
5x Reavers with bows
10x Shadow Warriors

Personally I think this list lacks a proper hammer unit but 20x PG and WL next to each other is pretty imposing! Generally he prefers to sit back and rely on magic / bolt throwers to soften up the enemy, whilst chaff buys time.

We rolled battle for the pass - so maneuvers would be a bit limited and deep deployment zones meant he could sit back and wait for me to arrive.

I rolled double 1 and double 2 for spells - taking Pha's protection, Speed of Light, Banishment and Birona's Timewarp (hoping I wouldn't regret taking only one offensive spell).

He tool Soul quench? on both + Tempest, Fiery convocation and Apothercary? (sorry don't know all the names!)

I deployed most of my cavalry on the left - keeping away from his elite blocks. The Stank in the centre to hold things together and the Greatswords on the right. I hoped to dominate a flank, whilst holding / buying time on the opposite.

Unfortunately I forgot his shadow warriors and managed to leave a big hole in my back field with only the Pegi cap to cover it!

So deployment looks like this....

battle to follow

Nick
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:12:14 PM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: 2200pts vs High Elves
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
Right so I rolled 1st turn which was a good start - time to smash some bolt throwers into kindling  :icon_cool:

Stirland Armour: Turn 1

I moved my Cavalry up on the left flank, needing to close on his Archers ASAP and push my advantage. Knight 2 hung back slightly, partly to maintain site line for the Cannon. I rolled 3 steam points on the Stank but stayed put, I already had it lined up for Bolt thrower 2. Most of my right flank shuffled, preferring to keep some distance from the nasty elf elite infantry.

The Pegi-cap was too far away for a charge so I moved him up to threaten the flank of his Shadow Warriors. Fingers crossed he'd survive next turns volleys and make it into combat.

Magic was okay - boosted Banishment brought down two Phoenix guard (thanks to re-roll successful ward saves!). Better than nothing! Shooting was great... cannon smashed Bolt thrower 1, closely followed by steam cannon taking out Bolt thrower 2. Even the archers managed to put a wound on an Eagle! 

Not a bad start, that's severely reduced the high elf ranged attack and removed a major threat to my cavalry.  :icon_smile:

High Elves: Turn 1

No great surprise, his main line stayed put whilst his Eagles and Reavers moved up to disrupt my advance. The Shadow Warriors made a run for the woods to gain some cover (not what I would have done).

He rolled pretty poorly for magic but managed to get Tempest off on my Demi-gryphs. Fortunately they saved all the wounds  :-D
Shooting wasn't much more impressive, the Archers brought down a single Knight and Reavers failed to hit. Even the Pegi-cap saved all his wounds from the Shadow Warriors.

That could have been much worse!

Stirland Armour: Turn 2

I was pretty worried about the Shadow Warriors in my back field, so with no other choice I risked Stand+Shoot plus Difficult terrain (for landing in the wood) and charged with the Pegi-cap. Fortunately his good luck continued and he reached their vulnerable flank unscathed! I couldn't resist charging the Eagle, although I knew it was a bait. Knights 2 charged and he fled as to be expected and I redirected to his Reavers... who also fled. Clearly the Eagle forgot it could fly and only hobbled 3", leaving it just in front of my Demi-gryphs .. who charged it down. (They then stopped and reformed after reaching their target, passing Ld test - I think this is right?). Unfortunately for the High Elves the Reavers were within 6" of the second Eagle, which failed its panic test and legged it ... silly pigeon!

I risked 4 points with the Stank and stayed lucky, so moved it up with two points and faced the fleeing Reavers. My Knights 1 moved up into charge range of the Archers with the Inner Circle knights behind. Archer detachments moved up to stay in range of the Eagle / Reavers.

Magic was a bit of a flop, as was shooting with both cannons bouncing short  :eusa_wall:

Combat was better, my Pegi-cap saved his wound and cut down three Shadow Warriors in return. They fled and I cut them down  :icon_twisted:
So it looked like my cannon crew were safe from that menace!

High Elves: Turn 2

So the High Elves had some catching up to do and started by rallying both the Reavers and the remaining Eagle.  Otherwise he stayed put (you might detect a theme here!)

He needed a big magic phase now and unfortunately didn’t get it. He cast Fiery Convocation on my Demi-gryphs which failed to wound but stayed in play. Shooting was even worse, he caused 7 wounds on Knights 1 but I saved them all (rolling 6x 2s in the process!).

Stirland Armour: Turn 3

I was feeling pretty good now, not really taken much damage and knocked out easy targets. Knights 1 was well in range of his Archers and while I wasn't confident I could beat them, there wasn't much point in standing there to get shot! So they charged and thankfully didn't loose models to 'stand and shoot'. The Demi-gryphs tried a long range charge on the Spearmen but failed miserable (in hind site that was probably for the best - they would have been isolated).

So the rest of my Cavalry moved up into charge range for next turn. Pegi-cap moved up the board at full speed and my right flank shuffled forwards to keep the wizard close enough to buff some cavalry. The Stank rolled slowly forward and aimed for the remaining Eagle.

I rolled okay for magic and started by casting Banishment on 4 dice at Reavers, he rolled all six dice to dispel but to our surprised failed even with a re-roll from Book of Hoeth. Four pointy ears died in a righteous laser beam of light, serves them right for running away from a fight! This left me 4 dice to dispel Fiery Convocation... no problem.

Combined archer fire brought down the final Reaver and the Steam Cannon turned the Eagle into a cloud of bloody feathers.

Finally we moved into combat and it seems that even shooty Archer elves can be nasty. 15 Attacks with re-rolls to hit and wounding on 4's. fortunately I saved most of the 2+ saves and only lost a single model. My shiny Knights only managed to bring down two in return (actually it was the horses - always the nasty bit!). Not looking great, I lost combat by 1 but passed the break test and stayed put.

High Elves: Turn 3

No movement, the High Elves still preferred to rely on magic to do some damage while I got closer. Unfortunately he rolled poorly again and achieved nothing. With his archers tied up with my Knights and no Bolt throwers we moved straight onto combat.

The Archers fared well, killing two Knights and only taking one casualty in return. I duly failed the break test and ran, whilst he decided to stay put which I think was a big mistake by leaving him in range of the IC Knights next turn.

Stirland Armour: Turn 4

Time for payback on the Archers! MY IC Knights charged in, taking a casualty on the way but making it easily. The Demi-gryphs had another go at the Spearmen and made it easily.

The Stank was quite along way back so I risked another 4 steam points and used three to move it up. Meanwhile the Archer and Greatswords all moved up, keeping the Wizard in eye site of my Demi-gryphs. The Pegi-cap moved for a potential flank charge later in the game and my second Knights unit shuffled forward (I possibly should have moved them up to screen the flank of the Demi's).

In the magic phase I started with Banishment on the Phoenix Guard which he tried to dispel but failed and I killed two more. Then I used my remaining dice for Speed of Light on the Demi-gryphs to help them out against the Spears and White Lions that would probably hit their flank but he dispell scrolled.

Shooting wasn't inspiring, one cannon bounced short although the 2nd and Archer fire killed two more Phoenix Guard.

We started combat with the Archers where I lost another Knight but killed 5 in return. He outranked me so remained steadfast and past the break test. I was really hoping for bloody brutality from the Demi-gryphs and started well by saving all wounds. But clearly my Chickens were having a bad day... missing 7 out 9 attacks. Fortunately the Knights and stomps brought down a few and I didn't loose combat but my flank now looked very exposed!

High Elves: Turn 4

This was going to hurt, I really feared for the life of my Demi-Gryphs and predictably the White Lions crashed into their flank.

Things looked worse when he rolled 5+5 for the magic phase and then picked up two channels ... 12 PD against 5 DD ouch! He started with five dice Fiery Convocation on my Greatswords but remarkable failed to cast... and lost concentration! With his other Mage tied up in combat he had nothing to do!  :icon_surprised: clearly Sigmar had answered my prayers!

The combat with the Archers and Inner Circle Knights ground on, with me killing another three and loosing two in return. Can't remember if we drew or I lost but either way I didn't run and he was running out of models to hit back.

The combat with my Demi-gryphs was predictable - he butchered me! After a handful of str 3 and only a slightly smaller handful of str 6 attacks I had one Demi left with one wound. He managed to kill three more Spearmen but promptly ran from combat. Now my luck returned, he chose to restrain the White Lions and his Spearmen failed to catch me... the Chicken lives to fight another day!  :eusa_clap:

And more to the point, his Spearman unit was left out of formation and vulnerable to my Knights and the Pegi-cap  :icon_twisted:

Stirland Armour: Turn 5

It's getting close to the end of the game and we still have a lot of models on the board (definitely more than usual!). So I started thinking that attrition would win this game - especially with my two fleeing units so far from the board edge and therefore clinging onto their points.

The Knights and Pegi-cap took their opportunity for revenge and charged into the Spearmen. Otherwise I decided to keep the Steam tank still and just rolled for one point for another cannon shot. The Greatswords moved up slightly but I really didn't want to engage his Phoenix guard that still looked threatening.

In the magic phase I threw everything at Speed of Light on the Knights unit with his Spearmen, obviously he tried to dispel but it got through.

Shooting was a bit irrelevant but the two cannons and Archers brought down four more Phoenix Guards. The IC Knights finally managed to crack the Archers - loosing one more but killing four and negating Steadfast. He ran and I chased him down. They'd done there job but with only one turn left are effectively out of the game.

Now came the all important combat with his Spearmen. He still went first but against WS and I 10 he needed 5's to hit without his re-roll... only one Knight died. In return my Knights and the Pegi-cap combined cut down 8 Spearmen and he predictably ran from combat. I chased with both units, partly to ensure the kill but mostly to get my units out of the charge arc from his White Lions.  :-D

High Elves: Turn 5

Still resolutely refusing to abandon his position, the White Lions and Phoenix Guard merely wheel to face my Greatswords! (I thought it was dwarfs that were supposed to be stubborn!)

He didn't roll great in the magic phase but managed to get Tempest off on my Greatswords. The resulting vortex killed 2 Archers and 6 Greatswords but not enough to force a panic test.

No shooting and no combat

At this point it was pretty clear I had won - I hadn't killed either of his expensive elite units but hadn't actually lost anything in return (because fleeing units don't count).

We played out the last turn, in which I fried a few more Phoenix guards and even managed a cheeky Steam gun blast on the White Lions... killing 1! I dispell scrolled his final magic phase and that as they say 'is that'.

Victory to the Empire
Glory to Sigmar and Stirland!

Hope you enjoyed

Nick

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:15:57 AM »
So that was an interesting game and the first time my Greatswords haven't made it into combat!

I'd say my luck was better overall - I seemed to roll a lot of 2+ armour saves and the lone Demi-gryph surviving was definitely a bonus. My magic phases were poor though and I definitely failed more than 50% of my 4+ to hit rolls so it all balances out.

I don't think the High Elves made good use of the Shadow Warriors - they should have faced my Pegasus rather than expose a flank (pretty sure 10 shadow warriors could have taken him out and then charged the cannon). Leaving the Archers out on the flank was dangerous, but then they did tie up 14 Knights.

It felt like a pretty hollow victory but I suppose I still had 8 knights, an undamaged Stank and most of my Greatswords all to charge his elites if we played turn 7! Pretty sure I would have come out on top?!

Feel free to criticize!

Nick

Offline Martin123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
Nice little read :)

is your opponent new to warhammer? as he made some very basic mistakes and you took full advantage of it... ( i cant say much in my report i made some stupid deployment mistakes as u are about to see if you read it )

im not sure if he knew the force and power of his 2 big blocks, phoniex guard, do a lot of hurt towards great swords, and white lions kill and of armoured troops pretty easilly... or the fact strength 4 from magic missles and strength 3 from arrows dont hurt heavy armour

only things i picked up on that you did wrong, once the steam tank had shot off the bolt thrower, stop using it as a cannon why give people free wounds? i would of been marching it up 3 d6 every turn....

i also think you deployed a bit wrong, it was a huggee risk relying on a 8 to hold 75% of your points without a re roll, a risk i don't think worth taking.... if you had deployed you great swords closer to the building and marched them up the first two turns, that would of been more useful, its hard to gage distance from the diagram, but that may of given you a 12 inch bubble to the demi combats.