home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667759 times)

Offline GambitGriffin

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2010, 11:01:45 PM »
Just a quick question about artizans minuatures:
What kind of wire do you use for banners and pikes? Do you buy them from artizans or can you use something else?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #376 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
I have not used Artizan ones, but I am pretty certain others have and they are good.

I got mine from Warlord Games most recently, but I have had Foundry in the past, and bought odd packs at Salute shows in the past.
Generally steel spears stay straight. Lead or white metal ones will bend if you breathe too hard on them.
Lots of manufacturers offer the steel spears these days and whilst there is some variation in the actual spear tip 'look' they are all pretty reasonable.
I think the average going rate is about 80 for Ģ5.00 and tha usually applies whether you get 40mm, (javelin) 80mm (spear) or 100mm (pike) length ones.
I believe you can just buy 'wire' and then flatten an end and file it to a point. I suppose you could save money by buying 100mm ones already with a point, and cutting off 40 0r 50mm and then making your own points on the second piece and hey presto you have twice as many spears ...............

Part Two

I'd like some opinions from members with knowledge of a couple of manufacturers?

I see a lot of Minifigs models on ebay, but the pics are always rubbish - they look rather plain. I have assumed they are a mass manufactured range probably sold in toyshops?
Anyone care to comment.

Similarly I have made a comment earlier today in the special offers sticky that a lot of Renegade Miniatures figures look to have overlarge disproportionate heads to me?

I have this opinion of a couple of other manufacturers too - Curtleys (Chinese) and Pendraken.
This thread seems to have remained fairly popular - I wonder if we should look at compiling a reference somewhere of 'reviews' of manufacturers.
I know 023 was up to something like a directory.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #377 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
Foundry, Artizan, Perry Miniatures and others make steel pikes, spears and javelins. The only ones I've used were the Artizan pikes and I thought they were pretty good.

I usually make my own out of uncoated steel florist wire. I think 18 gauge (US) is the usual size I use. For pikes, I cut them to about 3x the height of the figure, then flatten and cut the point.

Somewhere I had an illustrated example of how to make pikes that way. I did have a directory started, but I've fallen behind on it. If I get a chance to update it (especially when I paint up some of the TAG and other figures I've recently received) then I will add the pike thing as well.

Here's the link, but as I said, it's very out of date. I've posted newer stuff here (like the stuff in the campaign newsletters) that still needs to be added.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #378 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
I'd like some opinions from members with knowledge of a couple of manufacturers?

Minifigs have been around for donkey's. They were based in Southampton untill recently and are now owned by Caliver Books. I had a few 15mm figures many years ago which were ok at the time but I've never paid any attention to their 25mm ranges; as far as I know they are 25mm figures as Minifigs were one of the few companies which didn't increase their scale to 28mm.

The only Renegade miniatures I have are WW1 which are mediocre at best. They're not bad value for money, mainly because they're so cheap, but they do have... "overlarge disproportionate heads". If you're after real quality I wouldn't recommend them although their other ranges may be better.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2010, 05:49:48 AM »

The only Minifigs I've seen (painted for a commission years ago) were... "dated" looking. But they may have been older figures, I don't know if they have newer sculpts. But the ones I saw looked like 70s or early 80s sculpts.

I also have Renegade WWI (French) and Celts. They are larger figures. More "heroic" scale like GW. Ridiculous weapons included. Some of the Celts look a bit like "cabbage patch " dolls. Renegade are some of the few historical cavalry that come close to GW sized cavalry.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
I bought some Renegade Saxons last week in the Northstar sale.

Warbands of 24 for Ģ12.00 and 40 for Ģ20 supposedly, based on Renegades normal blister size of 8 models.
However the blisters turned up yesterday with 10 models in each ........

So I got 80 men for Ģ32.00 - bargain.
The sculpts are ok too -the heads size does not seem too bad.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2010, 11:48:39 AM »
Why would anyone want French World War miniatures?  :engel:

It is like using wood elves in 8th edition.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »
Because they fought well during the war.

• Members
« Reply #383 on: October 20, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
Yes like the Italians  :happy:

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #384 on: October 21, 2010, 12:57:10 AM »
I have a WW1 French army, late war (my stuff) has a completely differtent look and feel to early war (023's minis -above). I've built my WW1 french using Brigade Games figures which are really nice; I'd have listed Brigade as an "Other Manufacturer" but they don't do much in the way of earlier periods. Their pirates & swashbucklers line may be usable for some Empire (pirate) armies and also some or their Pilgrims if a witch hunter army is what you're after.

... Sorry Fandir, but french "cheese-eating surender monkey" gags work well if you're talking about WW2 but WW1 was a different matter entirely.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #385 on: October 21, 2010, 02:49:30 AM »

Apparently there was an ad for the second set of Perry Wars of the Roses plastic in a recent Wargames Illustrated. Someone at the WAB forum reported that it stated...

From the advert: ......... contains 40 multi-part figures which can be assembled as pikemen (up to 18), crossbowmen (up to 12) and handgunners (up to 12 models) as well as command. It includes 12 european polearm heads which are designed to customise the arms carrying pikes, also seperate pavises, targes/bucklers and sword arms.

And also a link from the same forum. About 2/3 of the way down the page are 10 pics of Italian Wars games (after the El Cid, but before the Greek stuff.) In terms of other manufacturers, I spotted Foundry, Front Rank, Old Glory and I think a few GW as well, plus some others I'm not to sure of.

http://darrellhindley.co.uk/?m=201010

• Members
« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »
I have a WW1 French army, late war (my stuff) has a completely differtent look and feel to early war (023's minis -above). I've built my WW1 french using Brigade Games figures which are really nice; I'd have listed Brigade as an "Other Manufacturer" but they don't do much in the way of earlier periods. Their pirates & swashbucklers line may be usable for some Empire (pirate) armies and also some or their Pilgrims if a witch hunter army is what you're after.

... Sorry Fandir, but french "cheese-eating surender monkey" gags work well if you're talking about WW2 but WW1 was a different matter entirely.

The free French also fought valiantly in ww2 as did the Italians I just wanted to throw out some bait and see who bites...but too many history geeks on this forum  :happy:

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #387 on: October 21, 2010, 01:05:41 PM »
...but too many history geeks on this forum  :happy:

:eusa_clap:. Excellent. ' Mind if I sig that bit?

• Members
« Reply #388 on: October 21, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
no go ahead  :happy:

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #389 on: October 22, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Good thing that, we history geeks ruining Fandirs lame jokes.  :closed-eyes:  And a people who lost their last two wars should be more careful when throwing war jokes around.  :icon_razz:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
I want to mention that I have now ordered 2 boxes of Warlord games Conventanter infantry. The Site selling was raising their prizes on Warlord stuff and I felt it was now or never. Much was on order but they had Convenanters in stock. 2 boxes of Scots in berets for me, thank you! The prize have been roughly 15 Euro for the standard 40 men infantry box for their pike and shoote stuff.

• Members
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
Well I found these

http://www.victrixlimited.com/news-66-8th-August-Greek-Hoplites-sets

:happy: so now I try to find a German supplier of these wonderful miniatures.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #392 on: October 24, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
Fandir man! Those minis rocks! Makes me want to assemble a hoplite phalanx!

• Members
« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
I think they are pretty cheap too...like the immortal ones with two boxes of these and one box immortal and the stuff I already have and those freeboter bases and finally some means to transport my armies without destroying half of my painting work I guess I will have a nice Lizardmen army.

With three big blocks of 30 Saurus Spear Athenian Elf Hoplites 120 of those suckers with some peltasts around....= sweet.

(I think about using the skinks more as skirmishers 12 inch moving and 12 inchs throwing poisoned spears is not too bad in my book hitting on 5+)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #394 on: October 25, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
Certainly not too bad and very cool to boot. Peltast and hoplite combo! Yes!

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #395 on: October 25, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
Fandir, http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/ sell Victrix models  (look in the "Historische Miniaturen" section). I bought some other stuff at this place, they offer good service, too.
Just another imperial minotaur.

• Members
« Reply #396 on: October 25, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
I know they are excellent...and they always put candy in the boxes too. But they donīt have the Greeks in the store yet at least they donīt offer them online but I send them an email and asked them if they could get their hands on them.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #397 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »
This is hilarious, actually. Fandir practically lives in that shop, Moxer...

:biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2010, 11:16:49 PM »

Apparently there was an ad for the second set of Perry Wars of the Roses plastic in a recent Wargames Illustrated. Someone at the WAB forum reported that it stated...

From the advert: ......... contains 40 multi-part figures which can be assembled as pikemen (up to 18), crossbowmen (up to 12) and handgunners (up to 12 models) as well as command. It includes 12 european polearm heads which are designed to customise the arms carrying pikes, also seperate pavises, targes/bucklers and sword arms.

Want.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:14 PM »
I think the original forecast was November ................... early Christmas to go with my Conquest Games knights .........