home

Author Topic: New steadfast  (Read 62865 times)

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
New steadfast
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »
Hi, all fans of steadfast discussions.

The new FAQ was a great clarification!
EDIT
Summary here telling the interpretation of the new erratum, with its variants.

Empire's ERRATUM
Page 30 –Army Special Rules, Detachments.
Add the following after the second paragraph:
‘Whether or not a Detachment is Steadfast is determined by their Regimental unit.
This means that if a Regimental Unit is
either not engaged in combat itself,
or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast,
then all of its detachments are Steadfast, even if fighting an enemy with more ranks.
If the Regimental Unit is engaged in combat and is not Steadfast,
then none of its detachments can be Steadfast, even if fighting an enemy with less ranks.

WH BRB ERRATUM:
Page 54 – Loser Takes a Break Test, Steadfast.
Change the first paragraph to read “If a defeated unit has more ranks than its enemy,
it takes a Break test without applying the difference in the combat result scores.
You should include the front rank for the purposes of determining whether or not a unit is steadfast.”
Change the fourth paragraph to read “Steadfast units don’t apply the difference in combat result scores to Break tests.”

Other useful quotes:
AB, p.30
" Regiments and Detachments act together and are affected by the same psychology in combat.
If a Regimental Unit has any of the special rules below,
they confer the same special rule onto all of their Detachments,
whilst they have at least one model within 3”

(special rules analysis by Noght)
- Frenzy (only available to Empire via mystical Terrain effects)
- Hatred (WP and War Altar)
- Hold the Line (GotE/Capt. in the Regiment)
- Immune to Psychology (only available to the Empire via Marius failed stupidity test)
- Stubborn (Greatsword Detachment, Magic Item, Terrain effects)
- Steadfast (BRB pg 54, Terrain effects)
- Stupidity (see ITP above)"

BRB p.54. "Simply put, a unit is considered to be steadfast if it has more ranks than its enemy.”

BRB p.11: AB>BRB whenever "On rare occasions, a conflict will arise between a rule in this rulebook and one printed in a WH AB. Where this occurs, the rule printed in the WH AB always takes precedence".

BRB p.10 Sequencing: "When () the wording is not explicit as to which rule is resolved first, then the player whose turn it is chooses the order."

1. Despite being much more clear than previously, there's still room for discussion.
if the parent unit has only 1 model left, if it's unengaged, the detatchements are steadfast.
You still need a single rank of 5 models, the BRB confirmed that in magenta also.
I don't see that.
So? Is it one model, or one rank which is necessary when the parent is not in a fight?

Do we have to read the new rule " if a Regimental Unit is not engaged in combat itself" as self-sufficient, therefore one model is enough,
or do we have to assume in addition that the regiment must be steadfast in the first place (therefore accepting that steadfast remains out of combat)?

2. What happens when a parent unit is in a building?
- zero rank, per FAQ,
- "always" steadfast (BRB p.129).
So? detachment steadfast or not?

3. What happens when a non-fighting parent unit is in a river/wood?
- cannot be steadfast
- has its ranks (or has one model, for those interested).

4. What happens when a parent is steadfast for any reason, and the detachment is in a river/wood?
- steadfast per new rule
- but denied steadfast per river.

5. What happens when a parent is denied steadfast, and the detachment is stubborn? Or in a building?
- always steadfast
- but denied steafast per new rule.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:26:30 AM by Calisson »

Offline Noght

• Members
Re: New steafast
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
I'd play this way:

1. Parent needs more ranks than the detachment foe, minimum of one vs Monster/Chariot.  Rank = 5 models.
2. Steadfast
3. Not Steadfast
4. Steadfast
5. My unit, not steadfast.  Opponent's steadfast
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
Re: New steadfast
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
if the parent unit has only 1 model left, if it's unengaged, the detatchements are steadfast.
What is the rationale that a unit with less than 5 models (0 ranks) can be steadfast?

The following are my opinions, but I think they're sound:

2. What happens when a parent unit is in a building?
- zero rank, per FAQ,
- "always" steadfast (BRB p.129).

Treat as if the regiment has the special rule "Steadfast."  This passes to the detachment per the AB.

3. What happens when a non-fighting parent unit is in a river/wood?
- cannot be steadfast
- has its ranks (or has one model, for those interested).

Because the regiment isn't steadfast, it cannot pass this status to the detachment.

4. What happens when a parent is steadfast for any reason, and the detachment is in a river/wood?
- steadfast per new rule
- but denied steadfast per river.

Detachment is not steadfast.  Regiment has the rule "steadfast."  I would say the detachment gets steadfast from the regiment.

5. What happens when a parent is denied steadfast, and the detachment is stubborn? Or in a building?
- always steadfast
- but denied steafast per new rule.

Regiment is not steadfast.  Detachment has the rule "steadfast."  Detachment is therefore steadfast.

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »
What is the rationale that a unit with less than 5 models (0 ranks) can be steadfast?

The recent FAQ.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
I think you guys keep forgeting what they wrote: If parent unit is unengaged, detachments are stedfast. That means if only one model left of regimental unit, detachments are steadfast. I know it's stupid and retarded, but that's improved and added rule to our AB. Therefore, you don't need more ranks than enemy, hell, you don't even need rank, your detachment will be steadfast. And you know what? I like it this way. You know why? Because i'm fucking sick and tired of people wheeling around my regimental unit and charging my detachments, and breaking them EVERY SINGLE TIME. Therefore, now when some smartass gobbo riders charge my regiment of archers, they wont break, cause they will be HTL Steadfast MOFOS!
Faith, Steel and Gunpowder.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
I think you guys keep forgeting what they wrote: If parent unit is unengaged, detachments are stedfast.
I see, I read it differently:

Rule:
...if a Regimental Unit is either not engaged in combat itself, or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast...

I read this as "if a Regimental Unit is either not engaged in combat itself and is steadfast or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast."  But I see that is incorrect.  The sentence is unambiguous on this point.  The Regiment only has to be unengaged to make the detachment steadfast.

What a silly rule.

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
Situation A) Regimental unit unengaged(Size doesen't matter, yeah baby) - Detachments are Steadfast. Situation B) Regimental unit is in Combat and has more ranks than enemy - Detachments are steadfast. And do you know why i like this rule more? When i have enemy charging down my regimental unit and both of my detachments and then (since it's his turn), he pickes combats with my detachments because he KNOWS that after Regimental unit finishes combat, he ie they(detachments) will be steadfast, so he brakes them and turnes around to flank my regimental badass unit next turn. Now, with this rule, if he chooses to roll for detachments 1st, they will be steadfast if my Regimental unit has more rank, REGARDLES OF COMBAT. Hell yeah!

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
Once again, can someone show me anywhere in the new FAQ or old BRB where the definition of Steadfast changed?

Sourced would be awesome.   Good luck!
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Once again, can someone show me anywhere in the new FAQ or old BRB where the definition of Steadfast changed?

Sourced would be awesome.   Good luck!

This means that if a Regimental Unit is either not engaged in combat itself, or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast, then all of its detachments are Steadfast, even if fighting an enemy with more ranks.

Either:
not engaged in combat itself
or
engaged in combat and is Steadfast

The commas around "or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast" makes it clear that the requirement of being steadfast only applies when engaged in combat.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »
The new rule does allow some discussion!  :icon_biggrin: After all, we are the Empire in its diversity.  :engel:

Let's read carefully the new rule, part after part.

"Whether or not a Detachment is Steadfast is determined by their Regimental unit."
Question:
- is it in addition to other merits, such as detachment being always or never steadfast for some reason?
- Or is it in replacement of any other merits?

My argument: AB>BRB.
The new rule replaces any other merit the detachment could have, even "always" or "never" steadfast.
If the detach is at 3", you don't care whether they are in a building, a wood or a river: they obey the regiment, that's all.
"- Stay in line, Regiment!
- But Sir, we can't...
- Remember, Rule #1.
- Aye aye, Sir."

This means that if a Regimental Unit is either not engaged in combat itself, ...
RAW: 5 models are not required in this sentence. A single model remaining, even feet wet in a river, does verify this condition as long as it is not in combat.
Question:
- do we have to understand that the regiment must be steadfast in the first place, i.e. that this new rule is intrinsically linked with "steadfast passing to detachments" printed rule, and therefore the regiment needs a full rank?
- or do we have to understand that this rule is stand-alone, i.e. a new fancy rule about detachments, to be read RAW, and 1 model suffices?
Debate: see below.

...or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast, then all of its detachments are Steadfast, even if fighting an enemy with more ranks.
Question:
- do we have to understand that even in a river/wood, the detachments would be steadfast?
- or do we need to consider that when the detachment is denied steadfast because of terrain, even the parent cannot help them?
My answer is AB>BRB, so disregard the detachment's terrain.

If the Regimental Unit is engaged in combat and is not Steadfast, then none of its detachments can be Steadfast, even if fighting an enemy with
less ranks.

Question:
- can the detachments remain steadfast due to "always" reason (building, skirmisher in wood)?
- or does it deny even the "always" steadfast?
Here again, I answered AB>BRB.

Let's come back to THE new debate: 1 model? or 1 rank?
Does the regiment not in combat need to meet steadfast conditions in the first place, before they can make the detachment steadfast?

Well, here, I need some interpretation.

If the new rule is part of the general idea that regiments pass over to detachments their psychological special rules including Steadfast, then obviously when a regiment is not steadfast on his own, his detachments cannot be steadfast either.
However, the link between the new rule and the general idea above is not well established.
For those unwilling to see that link, One-model-conferring-steadfast is clear, there's no dispute.

However, I would have a question for those tenants of "1 model":
Do you limit to 3"? If yes, why? Because it is not written either in the new rule. Please argue.

The 3" rule could be the link I was looking for, proving that the new erratum is a part of the broader rule about passing special rules to detachments within 3".
I.e. that steadfast passed to detachments does not spring from nowhere, but derives from parent's own steadfast (see below in this post the definition(s) of steadfast).
But as I don't have my AB with me, I cannot be sure.
If I am right, that closes the debate and steadfast has been made cristal clear.  :icon_frown:

So the replies would be:
1: How many models?
It depends  on whether or not you link the new rule with the general AB rule about passing special rules to detachments within 3".
(1 model) => Some say that 1 model is enough and could even be denied steadfast per terrain. Not in combat is all that matters.
(1 rank) => Some and me say that 1 rank (or a building) is necessary and the unit must not be denied steadfast.

2. Parent in a building?
All: Detachment steadfast, whatever the situation of the detachment.

3. Parent denied steadfast per terrain?
(1 model) => don't care, detachment steadfast nevertheless.
(1 rank) => detachment denied steadfast even if it was always steadfast for any reason.

4. Detachment own merits?
All: irrelevant, only parent counts.

@ Noght, playing more minimalist than RAW, I see.
Where the definition of Steadfast changed is quoted in my first post above, i.e. not much changed except the removal of previous FAQ.
We are still in the same situation as debated previously in Steadfast & detachment with the new FAQ:
There are three possible interpretations of steadfast status mentioned p.54:
A.   {more ranks + combat + defeated} => {steadfast}; and also, {no defeat} => {no steadfast}
B.   {more ranks + combat + defeated} => {steadfast}; and also, {no combat} => {no steadfast}
C.   {more ranks + combat + defeated} => {steadfast}; and also, {no enemy} => {zero enemy’s rank}

Even with the new erratum, you can still interpret steadfast as you did, to be restricted to losing combat situations.
It is just that interpretation C seems much more coherent with the new Empire erratum than the two other ones, for which the rationale for the new erratum would be quite troublesome to explain.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:03:08 PM by Calisson »

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
I'll answer your questions with a few questions

When is a Night Goblin Bus, say 5x8, Steadfast?  How is it any differant than a Spearmen Bus?  Does the presence of a Spearman Detachment change the definition?

Are you all really going to attempt to make an argument that a unit with zero ranks (either less than 5 models or running in a conga line) is Steadfast if it's a an Empire Regiment with a Detachment?  Woof.....

I actually think the real question is how many ranks does the Regiment need in comparison to the Detachment's foe's ranks.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »
I would say you need rank of 5 to pass Steadfast out of combat. Just for common sense sake and Steadfast errata in BRB.
 If there is any common sense left here. If you read this Empire FAQ directly one fleeing state troop model left of regimental unit can pass Steadfast to archer detachment that is roadblocking his ass.

I still think I will have to print this FAQ on paper for people to believe me when gaming :D

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Rule:
...if a Regimental Unit is either not engaged in combat itself, or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast...

I read this as "if a Regimental Unit is either not engaged in combat itself and is steadfast or is engaged in combat and is Steadfast."  But I see that is incorrect.  The sentence is unambiguous on this point.  The Regiment only has to be unengaged to make the detachment steadfast.
Here is the rationale which explains why your wished reading is justified:
The additional necessity for the regiment to be steadfast in the first place is in the same rule that the necessity for the detachment to be at 3".
Either you require the regiment to be steadfast in the first place - and at 3".
Or you allow the regiment to have no rank, to be denied steadfast, and even to be fleeing and at 99", as long as it is not in combat.
I made my choice.

When is a Night Goblin Bus, say 5x8, Steadfast? 
Easy. If any condition denying steadfast is there (longer bus in same combat, river, wood), it is not steadfast. If no such condition is there, it is steadfast.
How is it any differant than a Spearmen Bus?  Same
Does the presence of a Spearman Detachment change the definition?
For the detachment within 3", there is one single possibility: steadfast regiment within 3". This supersedes any merit the detachment could have on its own.
For the regiment, having detachments or not changes absolutely nothing about their own steadfast.

Are you all really going to attempt to make an argument that a unit with zero ranks (either less than 5 models or running in a conga line) is Steadfast if it's a an Empire Regiment with a Detachment?  Woof..... only if it is stubborn for some reason, no other possibility.
Now, had you asked for an Empire Detachment with a steadfast Regiment, then yes, the zero rank detachment would be steadfast.

I actually think the real question is how many ranks does the Regiment need in comparison to the Detachment's foe's ranks.
This is no longer relevant. The previous FAQ has vanished. Now, a 1 rank steadfast regiment makes a 1 model detachment steadfast against a 10 ranks bus.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:42:10 PM by Calisson »

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »
This is no longer relevant. The previous FAQ has vanished. Now, a 1 rank steadfast regiment makes a 1 model detachment steadfast against a 10 ranks bus.

Your missing the point, apparently a single model Regiment not in combat = steadfast Regiment.   :icon_eek:

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »

Are you all really going to attempt to make an argument that a unit with zero ranks (either less than 5 models or running in a conga line) is Steadfast if it's a an Empire Regiment with a Detachment?  Woof.....

I think you will see exactly that argument being presented.  Frequently. 
And that's why I think they've made just as much a hash out of this rule (with its new errata) as they did with the old FAQ.
My Two Cents

Edit.....I think I misunderstood your quote Noght. 
I think the argument people will put forward is that even if the parent unit is only composed of 4 models, if the parent is unengaged, then its detachment(s) will be steadfast.

It's an awful ruling but I think that is how the new errata will be interpreted.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:28:43 PM by The Ol Perfesser »
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »
Are you all really going to attempt to make an argument that a unit with zero ranks (either less than 5 models or running in a conga line) is Steadfast if it's a an Empire Regiment with a Detachment?
No, the conga-line regimental unit isn't steadfast.  The detachment is steadfast.

It is not relevant.  The number of ranks that the detachment's foe has is never used (unless it happens to be in the same combat as the regiment).

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
Noght, I don't understand your points.

First,
I do not concur that a single model not in combat is steadfast. I only mention that some other people do.

I am arguing that a one rank unit, not in combat, not fleeing, and not denied steadfast per terrain, makes its detachments steadfast.
(note: fleeing units are assumed to have broken combat formation, BRB p.25, therefore I'd argue that no rank can be claimed by a fleeing unit, therefore it cannot be steadfast and therefore its detachments are automatically denied steadfast whatever their own merits).

Second,
the rule introduced by the now superseded FAQ about comparing parent's ranks to detachment's foes no longer exists.
Now, the only thing that matters is whether parents are steadfast or not. The merits of the regiment (even "always" or "never" steadfast for any reason) are totally irrelevant.

Third, (@ The Ol Perfesser, too)
the situation of the regiment receives no influence whatsoever from its detachment (rulewise).
How in the world could anyone argue differently?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:59:07 PM by Calisson »

Offline MarkoV

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
I seriously doubt that you people can read. Errata is PERFECTLY CLEAR ON THIS ISSUE: If regimental unit is not in combat - Detachment is steadfast. Rule does not say or change anything about Regimental unit and its steadfastness. No, it just says that YOU CANNOT CHARGE MY DETACHMENTS ANYMORE AND HOPE TO BREAK THEM DOWN CAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE BALLS TO CHARGE MY REGIMENTAL UNITS. Hell yeah!!!!

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Here is my summary, for both parents and detachments.  :dry:

Steadfast summary, with references.

See below which condition is met first. Disregard all other conditions coming next.
In short, parent > stubborn > terrain > ranks.

Steadfast when   parent is steadfast at 3" (Empire AB p.30 + erratum). :dry:
Not Steadfast if   parent at 3" is denied steadfast (Empire AB erratum).  :icon_sad:

Steadfast when   stubborn (BRB p.76). :dry:

Not Steadfast if   Forest (BRB p.119 – rank bonus kept). :icon_sad:
Not Steadfast if   River (BRB p.120 – rank bonus lost, but ranks themselves kept). :icon_sad:
Steadfast when   in building (BRB p.129). :dry:

Not Steadfast if   no rank (BRB p.54/ & 60).  :icon_sad:
Not Steadfast if   skirmisher because of no rank (BRB p.77).  :icon_sad:
Not Steadfast if   fleeing (BRB p.25, ranks lost).  :icon_sad:
Not Steadfast if   Enemy ranks are same or more in same combat (BRB p.54/60 & p.76). :icon_sad:
Steadfast when   ranks (BRB p.54/ & 60), combat not necessary. :dry:

What can a unit do with steadfast status?
Steadfast status has 2 uses:
-   In combat, for Break tests after losing a combat (BRB p.54),
-   In or out of combat, for providing steadfast status to detachment (Empire AB p.30 + erratum).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:14:04 AM by Calisson »

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
That's some colourful language!
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
That's some colourful language!

And positively minimalist.... :icon_wink:

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
OK....

The definition of steadfast is still based on ranks.  This Errata adds another dimension to it, which is that a regimental unit not in combat counts as being steadfast.  I would say that the regimental unit still needs at least one rank to be considered steadfast though.  The reason for that is that you basically consider the regimental unit to be fighting nothing, right?  So since they are fighting nothing having even one rank is more ranks than what they are not fighting.  It just makes sense... which may not be the best way to interpret this thing so who really knows!

I'll tell you, whoever wrote that Errata needs to post a few examples.  I'm real tired of this confusion about detachments.

Offline Big Brother

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 02:52:26 AM »
I don't want to start any arguments, but what does the new FAQ do to archer detachments of archer regiments?  Normally skirmishers have no ranks, but If the parent isn't in combat, is the detachment steadfast?

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 05:05:50 AM »
I don't want to start any arguments, but what does the new FAQ do to archer detachments of archer regiments?  Normally skirmishers have no ranks, but If the parent isn't in combat, is the detachment steadfast?
I did not see anything in the FAQ allowing archers to be parent regiments and get detachments.
Now, if it was the case, that would fuel the heat, indeed.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »
Pretty sure that the Skirmishers special rule says you always count as having 0 ranks anyway, so I wouldn't expect an Archer parent unit to grant Steadfast to its Detachments.