home

Author Topic: How is Griffon Banner vs VC?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
How is Griffon Banner vs VC?
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:57:42 AM »
Since undead do not flee from combat (this eliminates the negative aspect of the banner) and lose additional wounds based on combat resolution losses, it seems that the Griffon Banner would be amazing vs them. Even at 60 points it seems that it could be a game changer.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:28:58 PM by SoonerSox »

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: How is Griffon Banner vs VC?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »
There is one big drawback: the Griffon Banner can only be taken by the BSB, who then cannot take any magical items. As such, his chances of surviving more than a round are rather slim against VC (units of skeletons and zombies excluded).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
There is one big drawback: the Griffon Banner can only be taken by the BSB, who then cannot take any magical items. As such, his chances of surviving more than a round are rather slim against VC (units of skeletons and zombies excluded).
If you find a way of hiding the BSB in the second rank of a unit you could take it.
I've played some games with Ogres now and it's pretty common for my BSB to hide away with a magic banner, like Runemaw.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
For Ogres, it is far easier, of course, as they usually need only 3 models in a rank for CR/steadfast.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
For Ogres, it is far easier, of course, as they usually need only 3 models in a rank for CR/steadfast.
True. A unit with full command that is 3 wide can bump it's characters out of enemy reach.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
The BSB would definitely need some spell buffs in that regard. I guess an empire player could always do the unthinkable and run a block of Greatswords which allow for a magic banner.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
Not quite sure, if you imply this, but GS cannot take the Griffon Banner.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »
I did imply that. I guess I don't know their specific rule concerning magical banners.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Given that Combat Resolution is such a game breaker in this edition, Cruddace made sure that virtually no one can or will take the Griffon Banner: it can be taken only by a character, and even if it did not, the point cost (60 points) exceeds the maximum allowed for any Empire unit. 

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »
(( SoonerSox,

The Griffon Banner could be useful against Vampire Counts, Undead Legions, Tomb Kings, and Daemons (anything with Unstable or Undead in their penalties)... could being the operative term.

As Fidelis said, with its point cost being 60, the only model who can take it is the BSB, and that puts him at a huge risk, for only a nominal (almost 0) gain.

If the Griffon Banner were 45 points, at least then Inner Circle Knights, Demigryphs, and Greatswords could think about taking it... but the banner's overall effect, plus its penalty, just doesn't make it worth it.  At 60 points, it should just double your rank bonus. ))

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 07:04:44 AM »
As I already pointed out above, it is not just the point cost: the rules of the Griffon Banner specify "a character bearing the Griffon banner" - ergo only a BSB. Even without any penalty or restriction, it would not be worth 60 points under the current rules. Perhaps if it also counted for steadfast (to a maximum of three ranks).

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
((Hey Fidelis,

Interesting.  I guess I never noticed that on page 63 of the Empire book.  Or, if I did, I just assumed "character" meant "Standard Bearer".  There's also no clarification on the FAQ v1.2. 

As an aside, I went to compare the wording against that of the two banners in the Tomb King book.  Neither Tomb King banner has the "Character" restriction.

That restriction makes it even worse. ))

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
Agreed; even if the extra bonus was +D3, rolled each turn, it would b worth it; hopefully, the randomness could mean a drop to 50 pts, and not still not lose the option to pursue....?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »
There is a smell of theadomancy in the air...