home

Author Topic: Grand Muster of the Empire Provinces Assembled (Latest: New Project)  (Read 25089 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Grand Muster of Altdorf -- The army of a procrastinator
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 09:01:32 PM »
Thanx! Incidentally (?), that's exactly what I've tried till now.  :-D

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2020, 09:37:53 PM »
Fantastic painting. Really digging the Reiklanders. Might have to give some of my unpainted Empire chaps that coloring. Currently nealry all my Empire troops are Middenheimers.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 11:59:25 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Whilst this cough is *still* hanging around me, it's finally easing off. I've just about managed to churn out the banner!

And for the general's view...

The command group needs a musician but I'll get onto that shortly -- there's two more ranks for this unit to build so expect some more soon.
Though I might take a detour for the next post. Some 6th edition Handgunners are begging for the Reikland treatment nearby...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2020, 01:25:30 AM »
Quote errantgamer: I've just about managed to churn out the banner!

If I had a banner like that, I wouldn’t describe it as being ‘churned out’ 😺
Beautiful.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
Quote errantgamer: I've just about managed to churn out the banner!

If I had a banner like that, I wouldn’t describe it as being ‘churned out’ 😺
Beautiful.

Agreed!! Awesome work here nice and crisp look on those models!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2020, 03:40:46 AM »
Thanks chaps!

I today received shipment of another throng of Greatswords and some paints. That Reikland unit now boasts 18 basecoated chaps on my desk to join the finished 6, so expect some more fruition for that over the next week.

However as I was waiting for the wash to dry on their magnificent puffed linens, I got a bit distracted (as is usually the case).

Here's the Bright Wizard I painted up today:

He needs a few little touchups (I always find the camera reveals all sins), but he is 99% there. And the back of the cloak:

I don't think I've ever used a Fire Wizard to spectacular effect in any game of WHFB, but painting him was a ton of fun. Not convinced the cloak design is the best (black and orange does lend a tone of inescapable Hallowe'en) but I'm satisfied for now. I did a little bit more conversion on this one compared to the Amethyst Wizard; the Flagellant head makes him look pretty manic, perfect for those crazy Bright Wizards.  Now those of you with keen eyes will realise I used two not-so-matching robe pieces from the Collegiate Arcanum Empire Wizards kit. I snipped off the long free-flowing scarf end to try and even it up compared to the other side. However after progressing some in the painting, it drove me up the wall that there wasn't a trim on the left-hand-side piece. No worries, I thought, just clumsily slap in some freehand to make do:

It's not quite perfect but it's satisfactory  8-)

I recently got called out for the (nonexistent) basing on these minis so I've ordered a few kinds of static grass and tufts to pretty them up. Expect that (and a whole brick more Greatswords) in the next week or two!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:43:26 AM by errantgamer »

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2020, 10:13:32 PM »
Your painting is awesome. :eusa_clap: How did you do the lettering on your greatsword banner. Did you use a pencil, then go over it?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2020, 10:17:17 PM »
Fan of Naruto by any chance?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2020, 10:28:47 PM »
I must confess I have never watched Naruto. Sorry if I have pulled off any unconscious references there...

@dougheim: I drew a light pencil line in the centre of the scroll, then painted the "K L" each side of it, painted the "R D" at the ends and then filled it in. It looked super kooky on the first go so I joined all the letters up in an attempt to make it look better. It's just about passable now!

By the by, I forgot to mention that the fire effect on the wizard was following Darren Latham's excellent tutorial. Check out some of his other vids -- very high standard of painting with some great technique displayed.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
As I mentioned in JoV's thread I've come into possession of some Warlord games landsknechts. Very nice models indeed, and ridiculously cheap to boot. Starting small, I ordered 90.

:ph34r:

Expect them to come up in this blog as I make some progress in the coming months. (For now they've joined the ranks of the boxed army that is very quickly growing.)

Here's the first finished one, from a WIP unit of 10 crossbowmen I've painted up in Averland colours.

The rest of the unit isn't far behind. I just need to paint up the faces and, of course, the banner. Here's a sneak peek:

Whilst the Warlord kit is excellent, it does lack command options for the missile troops. Some Handgunner arms fixed that right up!
A friend told me the banner carrier has a "Damn this wind today!" expression, which amused me.

Next time I'll have pics of the whole unit to show off, and the second rank of the Greatswords too.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 07:14:40 PM »
Making progress..

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
Beautiful. That yellow really works.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2020, 02:38:17 AM »
Cheers Ghost! It's Vallejo Model Colour "Yellow Ochre" washed with a 50:50 sepia/flesh mix and highlighted with a bit of VMC "Flat Yellow" mixed in.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
In an unwise move I marathoned out the banner overnight, so I'm calling a "done" on this unit!
Needs me to come up with a name for these regiment of Averlanders, but they look good in the meantime:

And of course an obligatory banner closeup:

Few little touchups needed, but after that going to finish off the greatswords over the weekend (unless I get distracted again, which is eminently possible.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
Well done! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2020, 08:56:42 PM »
Cheers :)

Now, my friend posted today in our group chat about getting a start on his Vampire Counts army. So of course I decided it was immediate time to start building some Ostermarkers to keep an eye on this undead business.

Again using the warlord games plastics and bits from whatever I could find in the bitz box, here are the first lucky entrants to the as-to-be-named Spear Reg't of Ostermark:

Flaming sword? Flaming sword.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »
I am gonna like that banner!!!!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »
Great stuff! I love how the crossbowmen turned out - and plus points for choosing the best province of all!  :-D :-D

WIP Spearmen look great so far too. I love their champion with a flaming sword - that thing looks dangerous  ::heretic::
Warlord games bits seem to work great for Warhammer units. Such a shame I have pretty much all the stuff I need now  :unsure:

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2020, 04:09:47 AM »
Nice work on the Crowwbowmen. Have a box of those that I keep putting off painting. Yours are a good inspiration to get cracking  :eusa_clap:

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2020, 04:31:38 AM »
Thanks chaps! Nice words from some of W_E's best painters there  :::cheers:::

Build up a second rank for that Ostermark unit now and I've started the basecoating. Same yellow as previously with some GW Screamer Pink. Going for more magenta than purple. I attempted a test mini with the kind of bleached, lemon-yellow shown in Uniforms and Heraldry but it just looked crap. Ah well!

In lieu of an actual update to show off let's have a bit of fun. Got lots of infantry to plug away on for the next fortnight but after that I'll be tackling some Pistoliers. Put your vote in for the colour scheme here: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465466

I won't check the results until I've built the kit, so it will be a surprise, but I'm curious to see what people would rep ;)

Offline errantgamer

• Members
Here's the first of the Ostermarkers:

Apologies for the aspect ratio, having such a huge spear makes it difficult to take photos in the usual orientation!

13 more of his chums to come...

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Gorgeous  :::cheers:::

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Excellent!☝️
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
That's not a spear.  It's a pike! :icon_mrgreen:

(GP ... maybe a half pike.)

Good point.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Nice work overall, both kitbashing and painting!  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.