home

Author Topic: Pondering Necron Lists  (Read 4485 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Pondering Necron Lists
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
I can't see how his tesla gun will take or a vehicle with any regularity, though I understand your point. I just dont risk 2am kill kill points on a low chance.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I can't see how his tesla gun will take or a vehicle with any regularity, though I understand your point.

That's why I'll swap it out for a gauss cannon for free.
 :wink:

S5 AP3 Assault 2 - that can do something, either shooting a vehicle in the ass or targetting some Longfangs or something. Anrakyr who I plan to run also has a Tachyon arrow as a nasty one-shot weapon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:23:32 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »
I think I prefer the tesla cannon for vehicle annoyance over the gauss cannon.  I like both, but if I am frying vehicles, I will go with the tesla cannon.  I am going to use this, but it I remain to be convinced that it is as good as advertised.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
Well, so far it's all theory anyway, so we'll see.

I've also considered this as a pretty solid core when I don't feel like fielding a command Barge:

**************  1 HQ  *************** 

Overlord
- Phaeron
- Warscythe
- Res Orb
 - - - > 150

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of Destruction
   - Solar Pulse
+ - Harbinger of Transmogrification
   - Seismic Crucible
   - Harp of Dissonance
 - - - > 225

***************  1 Standard  *************** 

15 Necron Warriors
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 310

The idea is to have the Ovelord and the Harbinger of Transmogrification join the warrior squad. They'll always be able to shoot 24" due to the Phaeron ability. If the unit is shooting at a vehicle, the Harp of Dissonance would come into play, degrading the armor, if it's shooting infantry we'd use our tremorstave to get S4 blast and slow our target down to a crawl. The rest of the Royal Court would be in the Ark, blasting out 4 S8 AP2 shots, plus the guns of the Ark, and follow the Warrior unit around. Between the Arks regeneration ability and the Overlords Orb this should be a bitch to take down. Thoughts?

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »
I like that idea!  The ark becomes a powerful firebase for anti vehicle attacks.  Do you not think that the lord would be better served in remaining in the ark with 9 necrons though and allow a lord to join the foot warriors with a res orb? 

I only ask because the one area that the army doesn't struggle against vehicles.  Regular infantry are all but guaranteed to glance on any round they fire, regardless of the AV of the vehicle.

Instead of putting that many in the ark, why not get a 5 model unit of destroyers with 3 heavy destroyer upgrades?  They are a very good anti vehicle unit for almost the same price.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
I thought about destroyers, but the court has several advantages in this configuration. First, it gives me utility with the solar pulse and the swiss army knife Transmogrifier guy. Second, the configuration I outlined above can shoot at 4 different targets (Warriors, 2 Ark arrays, Crypteks), third, it gives me an opportunity to field a large unit of Warriors in a useful configuration (they really need a Phaeron in my opinion to justify a large unit) and make the Ghost Ark useful in both capacities: restoring warriors and allowing shooting out of it.

Destroyers I don't think I'll get in the near future. They're certainly good, but they're my least favourite of the pretty amazing fast attack section. Wraiths and Scarabs battle for first place in my personal hit list (for their general utility in almost any list), followed by Tomb Blades (I just like the idea of a cheap, 150 points unit that's amazingly fast and can lay down 5 S6 blast templates), followed by Destroyers. A full unit of those comes to 260 with 3 heavies, and while it's mobile and resilient with excellent firepower I still prefer the others.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:47:07 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »
I don't know if I agree about the warriors only being good with relentless.  Mine will spring out of monoliths within a move of shooting rapid fire in most cases.  Likewise, I would assume those crypteks would still be in the army, they would just be in warrior units.  In my 5th edition games, 50 - 60 warriors and 10 immortals was VERY hard for people to deal with.  They are less durable initially now with only the 3+ AS, but the fact that they now get to reconstruct far more often (most of the time, I lost mine due to battle cannons and the like) makes up for that. 

Few armies build themselves to deal with that kind of infantry press.  Coupled with a pair of monoliths, your wraiths, and scarabs, it is a tough list.

I much prefer the destroyers to the jetbikes.  Not only because I have the models, the jetbikes are who knows how far off.  No word on when those models will drop.  HEavy destroyers are very good now, and not very expensive for what they offer.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:14 PM »
Fair opinion, it'll be a while before I can actually go beyond ideas. Remember though, you'll have trouble disembarking very large squads from the Monolith due to the size of the portal. I don't have the model yet of course, but from the look of it I don't think you'll be able to fit more than a dozen or so.

Anyway, that core I described above would propably be backed by 2 units or so of Immortals, and perhaps another min sized warrior squad for objective duty. Fast attack - well, at least one unit of wraiths, perhaps even 2 of 5. What also would be worth considering is a Destroyer Lord (with sempiternal weave and mindshackle scarabs) to go with a Wraith unit. That would be some nasty punch! Heavy support I propably wouldn't have enough points to go double Mono, so perhaps 2 Annihilation Barges and a Doomsday Ark?

Just some idle thought what would go well with that core.

EDIT: Oh, and those 6th edition rumors really made me look at the Doomscythe. The part about harassing reserve? Appear, shoot the snot out of something, go back to board edge and disappear into reserve again, all in one turn. That could be hilarious.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:12:22 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
Fair opinion, it'll be a while before I can actually go beyond ideas. Remember though, you'll have trouble disembarking very large squads from the Monolith due to the size of the portal. I don't have the model yet of course, but from the look of it I don't think you'll be able to fit more than a dozen or so.

No, you can fit at least 18 at the portal.  Some part of the model needs to be within 2" of the door, meaning at the time of the disembark, they can be three models deep and 6 models wide.  They can then run in order to break up their formation and not get templated, or they can simply shoot rapid fire if they are in range.

Anyway, that core I described above would propably be backed by 2 units or so of Immortals, and perhaps another min sized warrior squad for objective duty. Fast attack - well, at least one unit of wraiths, perhaps even 2 of 5. What also would be worth considering is a Destroyer Lord (with sempiternal weave and mindshackle scarabs) to go with a Wraith unit. That would be some nasty punch! Heavy support I propably wouldn't have enough points to go double Mono, so perhaps 2 Annihilation Barges and a Doomsday Ark?

I would forgo the doomsday ark for the monolith.  Price is so close you might as well.  And I am not sold on annihilation barges, as cool as they sound and look.  The army describe will be perfectly prepared for anti-infantry duty and the gauss weapons are great anti-vehicle.

EDIT: Oh, and those 6th edition rumors really made me look at the Doomscythe. The part about harassing reserve? Appear, shoot the snot out of something, go back to board edge and disappear into reserve again, all in one turn. That could be hilarious.

God I know, but I am incredible skeptical about those rules.  Far too many changes for a universally popular game.  It isn't as though there are masses of players clamoring for change like there was for fantasy during 5th and 7th.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
Well, I played my first Necron game yesterday, with a heap of proxies and borrowed models, since I only have about 20 Warriors done by now.

This was my list:

***************  2 HQ  *************** 

Overlord (joins 15 Warriors)
- Phaeron
- Staff of Light
- Res Orb
 - - - > 140

Overlord
- Warscythe
+ Command Barge
   - Gauss Cannon
 - - - > 180

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of Destruction (joins 15 Warriors)
   - Solar Pulse
+ - Harbinger of Destruction (joins 5 Warriors)
+ - Harbinger of Destruction (those three sit in the Ghost Ark)
 - - - > 195

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of Destruction (joins 5 Warriors)
+ - Harbinger of Transmogrification (joins 15 Warriors)
   - Seismic Crucible
 - - - > 75

***************  4 Core *************** 

15 Necron Warriors
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 310

5 Necron Warriors
 - - - > 65

5 Necron Warriors
 - - - > 65

10 Immortals
- Gauss Blasters
 - - - > 170

***************  2 Fast Attack *************** 

5 Wraiths
- 1 x Whip Coils
 - - - > 185

6 Scarab Bases
 - - - > 90

***************  3 Heavy Support  *************** 

Monolith
 - - - > 200

Doomsday Ark
 - - - > 175

Spyders (3)
 - - - > 150

My opponent was fielding a Dark Angels Deathwing Army. 30 Terminators in 6 squads, 2 Landraiders, Belial. All the Terminators had TH/SS, 4 squads had a Cyclone-Launcher, 2, the ones in the raiders, had a double LC dude instead.

Mission was killpoints, deployment was spearhead. And my opponent was going first. I thought I was screwed right there. Turns out - not so much.

I wiped him off the board by turn 5, while losing the Spyders, Scarabs, Immortals and Wraiths to him. 9-4, not too shabby!

Some thoughts:
- I can't for the life of me make 3++ saves. At all. My Wraiths died at a ridiculous pace because I think I managed one save in total. They kicked some ass while going out though.
- Spyders are pretty good!
- Monoliths are pretty useless! Well, perhaps it was just the opponent and the mission / deployment. But I think I can spend those 200 points somewhere more useful.
- The Doomsday Ark was kinda nice. A bit pricey for what it does though.
- The Overlord in his Command Barge was the star of the show. He raced all over the table, killing shit. He blew up both the Land Raiders. You go, Skeletor!
- Skarabs are great. If you don't make glaring mistakes with them, like I did.
- I need to rethink those Immortals. They're a bit useless as they are.
- My big squad o'Doom, sitting in terrain and supported by a Ghost Ark, proved to be one hell of a nuisance for him. I'm considering giving the Phaeron some cc capability though, in case they are successfully charged at some point.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:24:24 AM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
Whoa, we look at this quite differently!

I adore my monoliths.  They make the army for me.  The ability to warp around and block massive fire is awesome.

I also play praetorians in at least two groups though.  And that is a heap of Crypteks!  I would dump the non-barge overlord and take the regular lord (can't be picked out of the unit and can still have roughly the same damage output).  Woud give a pile of points (between that and the second court) for another large unit of immortals.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
The new necron models up for pre-order are absolutely ace. They've outdone themselves. What a contrast to the big Empire kits. Any of you guys going to be buying/using the new stuff?

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
I like the wraiths and will probably buy a few.  But I need the fliers!

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
Fliers are due in Autumn allegedly Philly for Marines, Necrons and Dark Eldar.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
Oh yeah! The famous "autumn of flyers, part II".
 :engel:

We'll see. Perhaps it's true this time around.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
Those wraiths really are nice.  I have the 6 old style and love them, but picking up a unit of the new ones would be nice.  They look good.