home

Author Topic: 8th Edition - Starter Army for a Reikland Force?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
8th Edition - Starter Army for a Reikland Force?
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »
Heya y'alls,

so want to start an 8th edition army and I already have the army book for Empire from my dad randomly buying it for me years ago. Would want to play Reikland. Thing is, no idea what totake tbh. I sorta figured out a 500pts list, but keep getting told that 1k is the lowest you should really play. Friend of mine will play Lizardmen and would have a 1k list planned out already too! So yah, any suggestions? I already ordered a box of infantry, 5 pistoliers, and a general with hammer n pistol, but defo ready to not use the general for example etc. Would like to keep pistoliers tho if possible cause I like the models  :-D

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: 8th Edition - Starter Army for a Reikland Force?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
While you are more limited in your options, 500 points can be fun too. I would even say, such games are better to learn the basic rules, since you can/will have to look things up.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:29:38 PM »
Welcome! There are some lists to be found here:

http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/933/starter-army-lists

In general I would try to have a bit of everything so you cover every phase of the turn. That's how you learn the game.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 03:27:43 AM »
I am imagining your lizardmen player friend wants to take a Slann, and only can at 1000 pts....

That said, you probably need to pick youself up a wizard for your list to defend against his magic.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »
Welcome! There are some lists to be found here:

http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/933/starter-army-lists

In general I would try to have a bit of everything so you cover every phase of the turn. That's how you learn the game.

Ohhh that link is really neat, thanks for that!

I am imagining your lizardmen player friend wants to take a Slann, and only can at 1000 pts....

That said, you probably need to pick youself up a wizard for your list to defend against his magic.

Nah no Slann yet at least. Basically a Start Collecting Box plus box Of Ripperdactyls. I know, cause I wrote his list uwu

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »
With your box of infantry, pistoliers, and the general (he could be used as a captain) that's only 10 infantry and 5 cav.  You'll need to get more for a 500 or 1K list.

I'm thinking since this is fantasy, a wizard would be a good addition.  I'd probably throw in some sort of missile unit, add to the infantry, maybe a cannon.  The latter especially at the 1K level, although I've heard of folks taking a helblaster at these lower point totals too.

When are you scheduled to play your first game?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
No schedule at all! We decided to start last week n now getting armies together!  :biggriin:

And yah the wizard sounds like a really good idea! They seem hella important. Cannons only drawback is being OOP tbh :/

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
Here is a very recent discussion on a 500 pt army: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=53083.0

A cannon is one of the few things the Empire has to deal with big nasties, and it is hardly OOP.  People just remember the few times a cannon killed a monster or other HVA in one go, while ignoring the many times it did next to nothing, or blew up first turn. That said, I do advocate a return to earlier rules, where a hit against ridden monsters was randomised between rider and mount.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »
In checking the GW site, I didn't see the cannon for sale anymore. :icon_eek:

Guess I'm going to have to go hunting for some cannons in local hobby stores!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
In checking the GW site, I didn't see the cannon for sale anymore. :icon_eek:

Guess I'm going to have to go hunting for some cannons in local hobby stores!

I am guessing Fidelis mare the rare mistake of mixing his acronyms. OP - overpowered, or OTT - over the top. OOP is out of production. In that respect, yes GW only have the Dwarf cannon for sale.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »
Ahhh yea I was wondering about the OOP too! haha Thought Fidelis just ment you can get the dwarf one instead  :biggriin:

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »
I might get an old collection from someone I know, so that'd be pretty sweet tbh. Afaik that includes at least one cannom and mortar, so would be kinda taken care of in that aspect!

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
I am guessing Fidelis mare the rare mistake of mixing his acronyms.

Correct.

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 06:36:53 AM »
So looked at videos for the game n other forum posts etc n came up with this list. Would it be any good? It's a total of 1001 points, but generally we have a 3 point tolerance to go over point limits as long as we aren't directly taking stuff to max out in points (like as long as we just end up at that much it's fine)  :biggriin:

Hero
Wizard lvl2
Master Engineer
Warrior Priest - Heavy Armor, Two Handed Hammer

Core
10 Handgunners
10 Handgunners
10 Swordsmen

Special
1 Great Cannon
20 Greatswords - Full Command
5 Pistoliers

Rare
1 Hellblaster Volleygun

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
As I pointed out in the other thread, although there is great synergy, the HBVG is also good without the Master Engineer, and in smaller games, those points are probably better spent elsewhere.

Most of our characters have a supporting role, and for that they need to survive. If they kill something, that is nice, but not necessary. You want the WP for his Hatred, Prayers and Ld, and thus should equip him for survival, i.e. give him a shield and the Dragonhelm, instead of the GW.

Even if the Lizard does not have a Slann, Magic is likely to play a crucial part, and a dispel scroll might come in very handy.  If you take the Lore of Fire, this works good with the Ruby Ring of Fire, which you could give to the WP.

Greatswords, although pricey, make a good anvil, but you do not have a hammer to make full use of it. Your core choices are somewhat subpar. Crossbowmen are usually better than Handgunners (because of the range), and Halberdiers better than Swordsmen.

Although no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, it is good to have a plan. Think already about a general strategy, and how you will deploy the army. 

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
To explain about Fire and the RRR.

The Lore of Fire works best at lower level games. Since you only will have a single Wizard, you will only have a 2 in 6 chance to get the one big nasty spell of a particular Lore.  Usually, one tries to cast these spells with 6 dice, in the hope of Irrestistable Force, but in smaller games the Miscast result may do more damage to you than the spell to the enemy. While Fire does not have any Über-spells, all its spells are useful, and the signature spell is indeed very useful, as it can be cast in 3 versions.

Kindleflame (the Lore Attribute) means that all casters have Flaming Attacks - that also means that they will cause Fear in war beasts, cavalry and chariots, and can re-roll failed To Wound rolls when shooting at or assaulting a building. Furthermore, if a direct damage or magic missile spell from the Lore of Fire is cast at a unit that has already been hit by a direct damage or magic missile spell from the Lore of Fire in the same Magic phase (even if the spell was cast by a different Wizard) the casting Wizard adds +D3 to his casting total. This applies also to Bound Spells, hence the synergy with the RRR. For just 25 points, you get, as it were, a second Fire Wizard.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:49:02 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »