home

Author Topic: 8E charge around an obstacle  (Read 4306 times)

Offline elfhunter

• Members
8E charge around an obstacle
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »
We had a different point of view in the last game. Let's see what you guys think.
A sabretrusk and 4 demis are seperated by a low rock formation.
The sabretusk charges the demis, which are in his front arc.
Is it possible for them to go around the rock with the free wheel in the charge?

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: 8E charge around an obstacle
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 07:34:35 AM »
Provided the drawing is correct, the answer is no. I simulated this in PPT, and if the sabretusk wheels to avoid the rock, it cannot reach the enemy unit in a straight line (not even by clipping).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline elfhunter

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »
This is the part where we get confused  :smile2:
You have to go at the other unit is a straight line, but you can wheel.
So the sabretusk can turn once but the needs to go in a straight line after that and if that clips the unit, the charge was succesful?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
Correct.

BRB p. 20: the unit must move straight ahead, except that, during this move, it may make a single wheel of up to 90°.

You always move in a straight line, barring the single wheel, which you can make at any point.  Of course, in a friendly game, both players can always agree to deviate from the rules in such cases.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
If I was refereeing the game in my campaign, I would strongly suggest both players to allow it as it really is common sense that such a charge should be achievable, considering the foe is visible in front of them and most creatures can manage running past an obstacle. Considering it's a game where foot troops can happily move over stone walls and such! I might add a 4+ chance that one or more front line models won't manage full contact until the second round of combat as a hosue rule to compensate for the ungainly charge.

Before anyone argues against my ideas, I am not saying this is what I suggest anyone else do, or that I would even force reluctant players to do it, but rather am simply saying what I might propose to players in a campaign game.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:45:56 AM »
Chariots are different.  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 05:31:40 AM »
How so?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »
Were different?

Pivot rule?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »
I remember the pivoting chariots rule in several forms, but all way before 8th ed.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
The chariot, like any lone model, can pivot on the spot as many times as it wishes over the course of its normal move. However,

BEb p. 24: when charging, a lone model must follow the normal charge rules, which do not allow pivots, only one wheel whilst moving, and another to 'close the door'.

Edit: this was also the case in 6th and 7th edition.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:01:01 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
The Sabretusk can make the charge only if it can clear the rock then make contact with the unit while only moving directly forward. So in this case, you would wheel the Sabretusk first in order to clear the rock. Once this wheel is complete, the Sabretusk moves straight ahead. If it can touch the enemy unit – it might just clip the corner – the charge it good.
"These princes try to tell me how to wage war, and seek to advise me on how best to rule my people. They are dolts and dullards, and it is a wonder that with such cretinous commanders your armies ever held against mine."
– Malekith, Phoenix King of Ulthuan

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
As I said in my first post: I simulated this in PPT, and (provided the drawing is correct), it will not make it.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 02:45:34 AM »
So to get around this, it should pivoted at the end of its move to ensure it can make the charge with one wheel around the obstacle, instead of facing the obstacle.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »
Yes, but, of course, you need to think a move ahead, and pivoting is not always possible. For instance, the Sabretusk miight have ended there as a result of a failed charge in the previous move, which does not allow pivoting.

Offline elfhunter

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »
Just to be sure, he can never
Pivot
Move
Wheel
Move
Clip

He can
Move
Wheel
Clip

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 08:12:14 AM »
During a charge, you do not get a free pivot first - unless specified otherwise, of course, like in the case of Random Movement.

Offline elfhunter

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
Thanks for the clarification!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
During a charge, you do not get a free pivot first - unless specified otherwise, of course, like in the case of Random Movement.
Such as the doom wheel. I hate that thing. Not as much as the HPA, but close.