home

Author Topic: Home Brew Space Marine Chapter?  (Read 884 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Home Brew Space Marine Chapter?
« on: June 14, 2021, 09:13:29 PM »
Do you have a Home Brew Space Marine Chapter, or are you planning to make one?

I've got one that I am contemplating as a Chapter that has been assigned the responsibility of exploring and protecting a sector of the galaxy that I've named the Meridian Cluster, a group of star systems on the edge of the 40K universe that when seen from Terra looks like a line of stars that goes from north to south, although as one gets closer the distances begin these solar systems can then be seen.  I've picked out a Krylon primer called Satin Island Splash which is sort of a sky blue like color, and expect I'll mix in another color or two plus a metallic of some kind.  No name chosen just yet, although been messing around with what this might be.  Their main enemies will be Orks (my own Blazing Fires clan), Chaos Space Marines (a branch of the Word Bearers), and a group of Necrons (painted similarly to the Sandstone style).  I will also include a Tau army that will perhaps be loosely allied with the Space Marines.

So ... if you have a Home Brew Chapter going or planned, how's it doing or planned, with things like choosing a name, a paint scheme, fluff, etc.?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:50:03 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Home Brew Space Marine Chapter?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 11:31:47 PM »
I homebrew all my stuff. Sector, systems, chapters, regiments. My main chapter (After a deathwatch group serving out of a hidden inquisitorial fortress) is the Doomseekers. Nomadic guardians of the far northern end of the galaxy, who've been cut off for ages but are tasked with guarding the 'other end' of a Bermuda Triangle style anomaly.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 12:57:44 AM »
I homebrew all my stuff. Sector, systems, chapters, regiments. My main chapter (After a deathwatch group serving out of a hidden inquisitorial fortress) is the Doomseekers. Nomadic guardians of the far northern end of the galaxy, who've been cut off for ages but are tasked with guarding the 'other end' of a Bermuda Triangle style anomaly.

nice!!

I also always create my own stuff as well
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:52:55 PM »
I have one; The Teutons. It operates the same way as a Black Templars army. Its taken me ages to paint as i had the ingenious idea of giving them a white colour scheme.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
Its probably one of the things I like the most about warhammer. The sheer ability you have to create your own stuff and place within it. Honestly I always thought 40k did it better the fantasy. Fantasy had some good wiggle room, but the general world was still pretty crowded. 40k has an entire galaxy full of open space where you can set essentially anything, anywhere, doing whatever you want. Back end of the bermuda triangle? Easy. Distant frontier cut off from the empire? Literally all over the place.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 01:48:17 AM »
I recently had an idea about a story involving 3-4 home brewer chapters that might become one super home brewed chapter. I don’t know a whole lot about the details of 40K lore, just the surface really, but I got an idea about a distant sector of space that was either on the fringe of the empire or maybe left out as events caused the Empire to pull back a bit. I don’t know. At any rate, these 3-4 chapters are isolated and left to their own devices due to the time and distance away from the rest of the empire and are forgotten about. The chapters are more about their region of space than the Empire, and don’t even try to keep in touch. The idea of the Emperor might be a myth, or maybe don’t care, as they have more pressing issues defending the region from Orks and so on. They aren’t renegades per say, just sort of in it for the area they exist in. They aren’t sure of their roots either and aren’t sure of their history. They meet every so often to hash out disagreements, issues, or resolutions to all their problems. Some kind of pow wow every so years.

So one day they get a visit from one of the more well known chapters (I like the idea of the Grey Knights) who try to figure out what these guys are about and if they are on the level, and chaos (which for whatever reason hasn’t really been an issue up till now) starts showing up. The Grey Knights aren’t sure who to trust and these distant chapters suspect the Grey Knights for bringing along Chaos. Lots of drama goes on between the various peeps with a majority suspecting a particular chapter being under the influence of chaos, but *in a plot twist* it’s actually elements of 2 or 3 who become corrupted and a mini civil war is on, even within the individual chapters. The baddies are trying to help release some massive daemon-like entity called The Maul which is a massive Galactus-like planet killer. They come up with a plan to cause a star near the portal it’s coming out of to go supernova, destroying the Maul. Now I have nowhere near the knowledge of science to explain how that could be done. But it ends up killing many of the people in the sector, leaving a lot of planets wasted, and the black hole that is created starts gobbling up what remains in the surrounding area, so they all gotta go.

So the Grey Knights head home to report what’s happened, and what’s remaining of what’s left of the other chapters pack up with their people looking for a new home bouncing around the fringe of the empire. They understand they are part of the empire, but would rather not be too close to it, blaming it for what’s happened to their little enclave.

It’s really complicated and as you can see I have a long way to go. Can’t even decide on a color.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
The creativity of the hobby is what keeps me in it. I often to explain to newcomers they don't need to paint the miniatures the way they are depicted on the box