home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 142484 times)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22FebDec2018 - spearmen and pikes and bad guys)
« Reply #300 on: February 27, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for commenting. Happy to make you happy.

Here is just a little follow-up on the pikemen. I did two more.

On the left is plain Warlord Games, on the right 5th edition GW plastic with a warlord arm. Works out fine I think, they look like buddies that could march together. Now, these were the best possible bits, the tamest GW head and a metal left arm (from the handgunner or x-bow upgrade pack). That arm is one of the few that doesn't have a 'heroic' hand. Regular plastic arms would be a bit more of a problem. On the 6th edition guys I've shown you previously, I ended up painting the hands with un-historic gloves. The other option might be to use a hand from the 7th edition kit but, that would be a bit wasteful and also those hands, while smaller, have little detail. Anyway, not sure this is of general interest, went pretty far down the rabbit hole.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22FebDec2018 - spearmen and pikes and bad guys)
« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
Question about the Warlord plastic box. Have you tried out how it'd work to have that pike arm turned back so that the pike is levelled horizontally for the attack? I would prefer such poses myself. If they hadn't had their pikes upright, I would have bought that box myself the moment it was released without hesitation.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »
Question about the Warlord plastic box. Have you tried out how it'd work to have that pike arm turned back so that the pike is levelled horizontally for the attack? I would prefer such poses myself. If they hadn't had their pikes upright, I would have bought that box myself the moment it was released without hesitation.
No, haven't tried. But, it wouldn't be easy. you would need to come up with a way to get their left arm on the pike then, right? Never fought as a pikemen myself but, seems like you would need two hands on the weapon. The straight left arms that come with the kit won't work. So, then you are out in GW land where the hands are heroic. I think you might be better off buying the warlord metal pikemen with the lowered pike (still reasonable $$wise compared to GW) and maybe a set of these plastics for conversions. Note: I *think* the warlord metal landsknecht are a bit slighter than plastic version. Would fit together but it's a bigger gap to GW.

Lowered pikes are not gaming friendly either. While you could pick an angle that won't interfere (much) with attacking other infantry, there will always be dragons and whatnot that you cannot get into base contact with.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Wow, these are seriously some of the most intimidating looking chaos characters, that I've ever seen. I also love the Altdorf troops, definitely looking regal and well paid. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
I know how gaming-unfriendly lowered pikes are, but I wouldn't be using them as pikemen, but cut them down to use them as spearmen or halberdiers.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Belated thanks, Xathrodox! Yes, they are trying to represent the capital.

---
Just a little update today. For the most part I am chipping away at the last batch of Reiksguard and the finish line isn’t close.

But, on the side I’ve been doing some more fun kaleidoscope Landsknecht. Recruitment is slow, the customary four guilders are probably not quite enough when facing a veritable Chaos invasion.

A close up of the newest recruits, including the unit champion. This is a Warlord Games metal model. It is just a bit more petite than the plastic landsknechts (which in turn are petite compared to the GW models). I guess it depends on your tolerance for scale variation, I think he’d look a bit too dainty leading 7th edition GW state troops but fits in here.

Also, yes, I went pink on landsknecht. If Osprey illustrations are anything to go by, that was a popular color choice.

Lastly, here is Hilda of the Hassians. Ancient chieftain and now patron saint of Volganof. Legend has it she once refused Sigmar’s advances who was smitten by the fullness of her female form. There are many variations on how embarrassing for Sigmar her refusal was (ranging from a mild verbal refusal to a kick in the noggins). But, all important scholars count this episode as one of the famous Seven Humiliations of Sigmar which helped Sigmar transform from an impetuous tribal warlord to the founder of the great Empire of Man.

Several people reported that in those dark hours when the Volganof’s wall were breached and foul beastmen burned down parts of the city, they saw an ancient warrior queen of blinding light, smiting the despoilers and guiding the people to safety.

The official Volganof counter:
913/969

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 12May2018 - Hilda and the pikemen)
« Reply #306 on: May 12, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »
LOVE IT
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #307 on: May 13, 2018, 01:14:54 AM »
Love all those colours and how uniting they make everything. A lot of patience must go into achieving those solid beautiful colours.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #308 on: May 13, 2018, 01:19:17 AM »
I love them so much  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #309 on: May 13, 2018, 01:28:47 AM »
Great job :eusa_clap:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #310 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
Nice! You're keeping the pace, that's great. When do you think you'll finish these 969 models?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #311 on: May 13, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
Nice pikemen unit forming there. Took me a while to realize there are 6th ed Empire spearmen in the back rank. Especially the one without the feather fits in nicely, even if the small champion guy is directly to the front of him.

Also waiting for the full glory of that Reiksguard knight unit!

Maybe a little more bling for Hilda, of the 'blinding light'?  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Nice! You're keeping the pace, that's great. When do you think you'll finish these 969 models?
Yes well, I am keeping my snail pace, that is for sure. Fifty-ish models to go so a few more months, unless I get distracted. Then of course there is also a city to build...

Nice pikemen unit forming there. Took me a while to realize there are 6th ed Empire spearmen in the back rank. Especially the one without the feather fits in nicely, even if the small champion guy is directly to the front of him.

Also waiting for the full glory of that Reiksguard knight unit!

Maybe a little more bling for Hilda, of the 'blinding light'?  :-)

-Z
Thanks Z. Second from the left is also GW so yes, it is possible to sneak them in. It's mostly about choosing the more understated GW heads of old.

This is Hilda as courted by Sigmar 2500 years ago, before turning into a minor deity....or so I claim, for I cannot pull off a 'blinding light' effect. I've seen it done on undead but, it is beyond me.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2018, 01:56:28 AM »
22May18

The wheels are turning, ever so slowly. Here we have a GW Fortified Manor. This was quite the learning experience. I read somewhere on the internet that wood stain is the way to go for giving the daubed walls structure. Well, maybe, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend the dark stain that I used. It ate a lot of the stippling work I had done (although not it’s not quite as flat as the photos make it out to be) and was a bit of drama. I tried to recover from the brink of disaster by making the stonework pretty light. Overall, I am okay with this piece now.

A little bit of kitbash went into this, I put the little guard house up on top and used a bit of chimney as the support. The banner is just a print-out from a gentleman named Siamtiger, who put a lot of cool banners right here on warhammer-empire back in the Golden Age.

The buildings come apart for that day when we’ll only want a chapel on the battlefield.

Details of the upper floor with the guard house conversion and the roofs. I tried to make the roof color uneven…using my standard approach of copious Agrax Earthshade followed by even more Agrax Earthshade in some places. Not 100% happy but, it will keep the rain out.

And that’s a wrap. The last of our GW plastic buildings is finished. It’ll be mostly Hirst blocks from here on out.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22May2018 - Fortified Manor)
« Reply #314 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:26 AM »
Fan-freakin-tastic ! You may have fought with that stain but it was entirely worth every drop. Conversions are wonderful. Very nice piece (s).
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2018, 02:33:27 AM »
the sheen. the terrible sheen of that stain. it still gives me nightmares.  ::heretic::

I got it under control with multiple coats of lahmian medium. originally the idea behind the stain was to save money by not effectively pouring an entire pot of Agrax Earthshade over that building. so...that backfired. :dry:

Live and learn. Thanks for the praise, Artobans Ghost.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
looks like there's a lot going on here! :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
The placing of that small guardhouse is great, and pretty seamless too in the photos.

Solid work overall!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »
Hey Naits,

There is maybe a solution for the walls. I used to paint the very same models some years ago. Take a brighter brown and large brush and let the painting dries for a while. Then piant the walls, not as usual but tapping with vertical brush. It's difficult to explain. The goal is applying a dry brush on a plain surface. This will maintain the borders of the wall just with the original color, but almost the main surface will look better. On the other side, I think brighter colors are better for this kind of scenery projects.

I hope it helps you!

Finally, I love that banner and details!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
I much more preffer your color palette of the Reiksguard, than the traditional one from GW. Suits them much better.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2018, 04:14:49 AM »
Rogers: what you describe sounds like 'stippling'. and that is what I did before I covered up my efforts with the stain. On the next building I will experiment with diluting the stain so more of the color gradients comes through. we shall see.

Xathrodox86: Reiksguard, did you maybe want to see more Reiksguard? here you go:

------------------------------------
25Jun2018

At long last here is the Reiksguard. I’ve sculpted the sashes, I’ve painted the same tired horses over and over, I’ve pulled every last bit from the box to give them a sliver of individuality. My inner man separated from my inner boy and here we are: I’ve completed the unit of 45.

Long term readers may remember that this is actually the SECOND Reiksguard unit for the battle of Volganof is crazy like that. So, here is what I hope is Lord Mortkins view right as things go south for him. Each unit clocks in at 1245 points…before characters.

A gathering of standard bearers. Towards the end I was running out of ideas how to paint the same banner in the same colors. Can you tell I had my fill?

Like every little gamer I dream of one day playing the grandest battles of them all at the Gates of Kislev. Now, at least I have one unit of the appropriate size.

Lastly, a big thank you to the kind folks who have sent me bits (scabbards, pennants, shields etc.) over the years to kit out the Reiksguard units. I hope you feel I’ve put your gifts to good use.

The counter is ticking down. The official Volganof counter:
932/969
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:23:38 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 25Jun2018 - Reiksguard)
« Reply #321 on: June 26, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
 :Ohmy:

Epic proportions!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #322 on: June 26, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
Incredible.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #323 on: June 26, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
90 reiksguard knights! That is certainly epic and worthy of coming to the aid of Kislev (or Volganof)
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #324 on: June 26, 2018, 11:36:05 PM »
90 reiksguard knights! That is certainly epic and worthy of coming to the aid of Kislev (or Volganof)

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: whoa
Yes I'm dyslexic so what