home

Author Topic: FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
So last week and even during the Christmas break it was rather boring at work or during travel so I read some of HP Lovecraft's works after inquiring about it in the >book thread< Instead of posting there I felt a new thread would be needed so I could talk about spoilers in my review of each story I read.  Below is the order of what I read followed by a bit of synopsis.  Mind you these will be spoilery, so back out now if you do not want to be spoiled. Otherwise stick around, and pull up a chair for the most cyclopean cyclopes that ever cycloped a cyclopedia.  :icon_wink:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
Dagon:
Someone suggested I read this first as not only is it rather short, but gives you a glimpse into the Cthulhu mythos.  The story is about a freight sailor during WW1 that gets captured by a German sub.  Somehow the character is able to steal a large amount of equipment and food without being noticed on a cramped Great War submarine.  He then escapes without being noticed somehow and tried his luck on the ocean in a lifeboat.  After a few days he wakes up on a shore of an island made up of dead rotting fish. He then climbs a mountain, sees  large inscribed stone depicting fish people, then gets scared away by a cyclopean fishman coming up for air.  He makes it back to his boat and goes to sleep only to somehow wake up in a San Francisco hospital the next day.  After asking some “experts” about the occult, he decides to end his life.

This was a good way to start if you asked me.  It was both literally and literarily a glimpse into the Cthulhu mythos.  Of all the stories I read this week, it was by far my favorite.

Call of Cthulhu:
This story seemed to me like the best place to continue after “Dagon.”  It was rather interesting to have 4 simultaneous stories happening all at the same time.  It follows a researcher that is looking into 3 events that all happened at the same time.  The first incident was of an artist who spontaneously fell into a coma.  While comatose, he had dreams about a statue of Cthulhu which he then made and gave to the researcher.  The second story is about a cop with a similar statue he found after raiding a cult that was kidnapping townsfolk for sacrifices.  The third story followed a ship captain that fought off pirates and abandoned their sinking vessel for the pirate’s.  They then stumble on a lost city from the bottom of the ocean that was brought to the surface.  There they wake up Cthulhu which kills most of the surviving crew.  The captain rams the ship into Cthulhu but it has little effect.  He manages to out run Cthulhu, who then disappears for some reason.  He is then murdered by a cult after returning from his voyage after some time.  The researcher then realizes that he is next on the cult’s hit list since he knows too much (and so are you as the reader).

This story was rather hard to get into.  The researcher’s story is more or less the story telling device for everything.  I think that part was well executed.  I found the artist’s story to be very boring and the police raid story to be cut short before it got anywhere.  The Ship’s story on the other hand was amazing.  It brought up memories of the old black and white King Kong movie. Sailors find mysterious island, explore, only then to get rekt by a giant monster they are powerless to stop.  It had me on the edge of my seat compared to the other stories.  There was a clear begging middle and end complete with a build up to a climax.  Something I would later find lacking in Lovecraft’s other works.  My main complaint was Cthulhu disappearing because “the stars were not in the right alignment.”  I felt this tale’s ending could have been handled a bit better.

Shadow over Innsmoth:

This tale follows a man who is just curious about the New England town of Innsmouth.  Most neighboring towns and cities distrust or are repulsed by that town and its inhabitants.  Not knowing much, the curious man takes a trip there.  He notices something fishy about the locals but doesn’t pay it much mind.  He finds an out-of-towner, like himself, running a grocery store.  He doesn’t go much into detail but gives a low down on the town and that it’s just a very weird place.  The curious man then runs into a drunk that used to be associated with the local cult.  He liquors up the man who then tells him everything he knows.  The town is run by a cult that gets free fish and gold from their deity out by the reef in exchange for having the locals breed with the deities’ people. This inbreeding causes people to be born looking human but as they grow old they take on the look of fish people and swim out to sea.  It is essentially a better told genestealer cult story from Warhammer 40k.  The drunk freaks out and tells the curious man to run as he knows too much and they will be after him.  The townsfolk and fish cult chase him through the streets.  He sneaks out of the town and tells the G-men whats up.  After a few days the curious man read the newspaper and finds out the government raided the town.  Later he discovers he has a grandmother who was from Innsmouth and that he will turn into a fish person.

This story was very interesting, but like with the rest of Lovecraft, I feel like he can set up a good atmosphere and have great concepts, but poor story telling.  I feel it would have been better to experience the raid/siege of Innsmouth or give us a better reason for the trip.  I feel like perhaps I was spoiled from watching the “Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth” game which had a tighter story than the book it’s based on (I’ll explain later).

At the Mountain of Madness

A bunch of Scientists go to the Antarctic to do research. The team splits up.  Team 1 finds frozen aliens which thaw overnight and kill the team.  Team 2 finds the destroyed camp and dead bodies.  2 people fly a plane and find a frozen city.  While exploring the city, they find the unfrozen aliens dead as some other creature killed them and then they get chased out of the city.  One of them goes crazy while the other tries to warn and prevent further expeditions.

Again, great concepts and atmosphere, but a poor story.  Too much time spent on how to do archeology and reading hieroglyphics.  No real excitement or horror until the new creature shows up and chases them away.  If the story sounds vaguely familiar, it’s because it’s been adapted into movies like “The Thing.”  Reading these stories is starting to inspire me to write better version of them.

The Dunwich Horror
A woman from a Podunk town has sex with an evil deity, giving birth to a goatman.  Goatman wants to steal a magic book to let in evil but are stopped by scientist who then goes to Dunwhich to stop the goatman’s evil fraternal twin.  The townsfolk don’t know what to do and sit and watch the 3 scientists kick eldritch ass.

This was better than the last two stories I read.  The first half is a mysterious character study of Wilbur Whateley and the strange things going on at the Dunwich Township.  The second half introduces the scientist and remind me of the old black and white monster movies where the monster terrorizes a small town.  I also liked that the educated old men were the only ones that could save the simple farming folk.  Showcasing a “knowledge is power” kind of story.

Extra Credit:
Cryaotic’s Lets Play of “Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.”  If you’ve read Shadow over Innsmoth (or are just as curious about Cthulhu myths as I am) you should check out this 13 episode video series.  You can try and play the game if you want but it’s extremely buggy (played for laughs by Cry).  His voiceover may be a bit unusual at first but the story, intrigue, and mystery is well worth your time. It is a better and more complete version of Shadow over Innsmouth IMHO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbfzs-FjaI&list=PLeqwXTaiY-Oxj4EvTtjJ09ZAdDGSEeV08
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:35:30 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
Excellent descriptions. No spoiler for me as I read everything he wrote but you are quite right on the power of the stories. They could be a lot better. Keep in mind all of these were written as bits in an ongoing paper so that may be the cause of some of the loss. Except for mountains of madness and dream quest I think. 'The Strange High House in the Mist' was a good one too. I havnt read any of these for years now but I quite enjoyed them.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »
Great reviews of the good, ol' lovecraftian classics. You probably should put them on a blog, or maybe a website (for bonus points make it a Geocities one ;) ) because they're really, really cool.

As a side note: I personally loved Helloween4545's Let's Play of CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth. Really funny, really tense and really british! Try it out, dude's doing a lot of Horror LP's. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGZ5ULkBIfqUqGGh1hn6rObQrZvX7onR8
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
You should read the Horror at Red Hook for some extra great racism!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 05:26:21 PM »
You should read the Horror at Red Hook for some extra great racism!
I read the synopsis on wikapeadia once a long time ago.  Heard that the critics found it pretty racist.  Innsmouth had a lot of racism in it too.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »
Very true. He had a fear and loathing of other races and that is shown in some of his works as they are usually associated with the criminal element.  He was raised in it - not excusing it but that was his world.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »
Loathsome fat lipped foreigners!

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is my favorite story of his.  I think it is his best, most professional, and most effective.  At the Mountains of Madness is a close second.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 03:46:06 PM »
I found a wonderful documentary on H.P Lovecrafts life that I felt I should share. The documentary includes interviews from Guillermo Del Toro and the late great John Carpenter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9VCf5einY
― Jake the Dog

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
My favourite H.P. Lovecraft story is the Colour out of Space. It's one of his best stories about undefinable aliens.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Excellent doc Feanor. I've read everything by him except collected letters but I still learned a lot about him personally. Kind of a tortured type full of a very tunnel vision type of world. Something like getting to know the personal side of writers and musicians makes me actually not like them as much unfortunately. 
@Ursa - The Colour of Space was an excellent story. I always fancied the Strange High House in the Mist. Very Dunsanian and a bit overblown but I liked the character and his transformation from inquisitive explorer to knowing and seeing way to much. 'The perfect husband and father always nodding and smiling at the correct time' or something similar after his incredible journey.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:39:25 PM »
I personally don't take issues with creators personal flaws unless they are childish. Michael Moorcock is a good example of this. He is a great author, but he is also petty and a bit full of himself. I don't really have any real problem with Lovecraft's character flaws because he didn't really hurt anyone or encouraged bad behaviour.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
I actually found his self loathing (of his writings anyway) rather interesting, especially when the other successful writers and directors also voiced they felt the same way about their works (though no where near as harshly).

Speaking of Cthulhu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uO755A6wbo
I'm amped up for this.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
The trailer is looking good! I had a rpg gamebook years ago though I never played it. This may be a game I can get into
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
I actually found his self loathing (of his writings anyway) rather interesting, especially when the other successful writers and directors also voiced they felt the same way about their works (though no where near as harshly).

I think a lot of that springs from perfectionism. Lovecraft also considered himself to be a classical gentleman, so he might have viewed it as improper to "brag" about his own creations. Or he might have just been fishing for validation.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
I think it was his upbringing and crippling intovert-ness...then again my only knowledge is from the posted documentary so to quote Socrates "I don't really know."
― Jake the Dog

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
I wouldn't say that the his introvertness was crippling. During his later years of his life he traveled more and met up with friends that lived far away. I think he probably just considered most people in Providence to be intellectually beneath him.

As for his friends; I rather enjoy the stories of Robert E. Howard and Ashton Clark Smith. The Pigeons From Hell is a great little horror story set in the south that Howard wrote in a response to Lovecraft that didn't consider the south to be very scary at all.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »
"Rats in the Wall." 
Very creepy haunted mansion type story.  It still suffers from Lovecrafts habit of bringing out a long and atmospheric story only to ramp it up and end it quickly.  I wonder if this is from writing for a magazine where he had a good idea/concept but then had to rush to the end because he used up too many pages. This man restores his families old mansion that burned down in a fire generations ago. After the renovations he and his cat wake up in the middle of the night hearing squeaks and scratching in the wall (the cat in this story is amazing IMHO). He goes to his detective friend and they start exploring the mansion and find some interesting things in the basement, including what looks like a stone door that goes deeper in the earth.  They get together a bunch of professionals (anthropologists, a psychic, etc) and explore the under world where they find a little village and human bones everywhere. The man figures out that his family were cannibals and the reason why the house burned down was because his direct ancestor murdered the other family members and burned down the house so no one would find out.  Then he gets lost from the group, goes nuts, and when the group finds him he is eating the detective friends.  He ends up in a mental institution screaming that it wasnt him, it was the rats in the walls.

Again very interesting but I felt the story ended too quickly without addressing everything in the under-world.  They leave too much to the reader speculation on this one and dammit I want answers!  :-D  Other than the quick ending I felt the writing was more compelling than some of the previous stories.  The cat's name is definitely an indication of the times but the version I read had it changed to "Mr. Blackman."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:36:52 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »
Interesting thread! I've actually never read anything from Lovecraft (other than snippets from the RPG handbook), so I'll go ahead and use this to try and catch up on some stories :).
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
Quote from Feanor - (the cat in this story is amazing IMHO)

Lovecraft loved cats. They all had a special place in his stories. In Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath  cats were highly intelligent and had a special place on the dark side of the moon where they would congregate. He used to say when a cat suddenly disappeared and reappeared they would head for the moon. The owner would be like - I swore that cat was just right there.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »
@Demonslayer: I would still give "Dagon" a chance.  Its super short and my sum up version doesn't do it justice.  There is the audio book version on youtube.  I think its like 40 minutes, may be shorter. I've even seen someone make a Dr. Seuss-esque version of it floating around the internet.

― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
So I had a long tedious assignment at work today, so I played the audiobook of "The Color Out of Space" while doing my assignment.

The Color Out of Space
This was a very well written piece.  Quite different from some of Lovecraft's other writings! The framing for the story telling was quite interesting.  A man from Arkham is surveying the area for his company int he rural farming area outside Arkham. He notices a patch of land that is made of grey dust.  None of the locals want to talk about it but suggest he not ask the the friend of the old tenant.  The narrator does anyway and find the old farmer to be quite sane.  The old farmer then recalls and tells the story of what happened. Not long ago a meteor crashed on the Gardner's farm.  The Gardners called the nearby college in Arkham and had the scientist come and take a look the next day.  When the scientist found the meteor it had shrunk smaller than was described.  The meteor was also an indescribable color. They took a sample back to the lab but it eventually disappeared itself.  When they visited the farm again the meteor had shrunk very small, and when the scientists tried to take another sample, the meteor broke open and a globule of the color sank into the earth and was absorbed by the soil.  The scientist more or less shrugged their shoulders and left.

After a few seasons the nearby farm plants and fruit become foul tasting, even though they grew larger and more plentiful than normal. Animals start to disappear or avoid the farm entirely. Some start to die off, seemingly like they've been drained or deflated.  The farmer's wife starts going crazy leading the father to lock her in the attic.  A passing salesman notices that the flora surrounding the hose is starting to glow.  the Farmer's family never noticed it because they were getting used to the crazy stuff happening around the farm but started to take notice after someone mentioned it to them.  the oldest child started to go nuts too and was locked in his room.  Then one night the youngest child disappeared when getting water from the nearby well.

After not hearing from the Gardner's for a few weeks, the friend of the farmer came over to check on him.  He found the farmer on the couch in a bad state, delirious and sullen. He went to check on the wife and when he opened the door some mass of darkness was moving in the corner. The author eludes to the friend putting her out of her misery but nothing is said for certain.  Then a gust of air brushed pass him, a little like the same color as the meteor, and he heard his horse and buggy run off and the farmer fall from the couch. He went to check on the farmer and the farmer was dying, saying that there's something living in the well.

The friend returns later that night with the police and doctors.  They found the remains of the son in the well as well as discovering the well water had become fouled by something that is the same color as the meteor.  They go inside the farmer's house and discuss what happened.  Then their horse dies, followed by a bright light (also the color from the meteor) as it blasts off from the well and into space.  They leave the house and promise never to talk about what they experienced.  The narrator then quits his job and vows never to go near that place again.

Unlike the other stories, this one seemed both complete and flowed organically.  If anyone is familiar with the old B movie "The Blob" you can tell they took some of their ideas from this story. I really cannot say anything bad about this story at all. It unfolded like a mystery mixed with a dash of cosmic horror.  Definitely worth a read/listen.
 :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:10:29 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
@Demonslayer: I would still give "Dagon" a chance. 
Oh no, I meant I'd read those stories based on the order you recommend :). Just finished Dagon, actually! Like you said, rather short, but interesting nonetheless. Looking forward to the Call of Cthulhu (which I believe is the one in the 5th edition RPG handbook, so I think I actually already read it, once...).
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
Interesting thread! I've actually never read anything from Lovecraft (other than snippets from the RPG handbook), so I'll go ahead and use this to try and catch up on some stories :).

I really want to play. It's themetastic.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
Herbert West: Reanimator
This was a great Mad Science series and it really kicks off the imagination.  I will start off by saying, it was a good thing that I knew beforehand that this was originally 6 different stories written for a magazine and published at different times. After the first story, all others subsequently sum up the previous story(ies) before getting to their own plot.  This can sometimes be quite lengthy, leaving nothing but a small amount of time to tell the story.  Had I not known that then it would have been dreadfully boring and repetitive in a way that makes you shout "I know, I just read that 5 minutes ago, no need to catch me up."

So the first story is about The Narrator, I will call him Barry going forward, and his college med student friend Herbert West. Herbert thinks he can reanimate the dead using chemicals, after all isn't the body just a bunch of chemicals reacting to each other chemical stimuli? Or so the titular character believes.  Barry ends up being Herbert's assistance as he performs some mad science to test his serum for reanimation.  They test the concoction on many lab animals but when the research is ready to test on human cadavers, the Dean flat out refuses and calls their experiments false positives (i.e. the animals never fully died and the injected compound merely woke them up). This prompts Herbert and Barry to set up a private lab near a cemetery. They come to the conclusion that they need a fresh body that has not been embalmed in any way for the mixture to work. They luck out as a workman died and was immediately buried. They exhume the body and inject it with the serum back at their lab.  Nothing happens.  They go into another room to sulk when they hear an inhumane scream from whether the corpse was left.  They freak out and run away but accidentally knock over a lit lamp which engulfs the whole lab in flames. Leaving no evidence of the corpse nor the experiments.

Story 2 is a direct sequel and the Dean is getting on Herbert and Barry's asses about doing more experiments.  He eventually dies of heart failure and at his funeral Herbert and Barry inject the body with their reanimation goo. If the Dean reanimates, then surely he would fund and allow them to continue their research. The body reanimates and goes berserk, injuring the two scientists and jumping out the window.  Over the course of a couple of days some sort of cannibal has been running amok in town killing nearly 20 people before the cops catch the ghoulish looking Dean and throw him into a straight jacket and a padded room wall at the Arkham Asylum. Barry and Herbert are not implicated at all and play it cool until they graduate.

Story 3 has the crazy duo take up residence in a small factory town as doctors, but they move to a house near the cemetery to continue their research.  One day a near dead boxer (from the towns underground boxing ring) is admitted to them but dies before much could be done.  They inject the new reanimation brew into the corpse but nothing happens.  They dispose of the body in the woods and go home.  the next day a local boy has gone missing. His mother becomes hysterical and dies.  Herbert tries everything he can to save her but there was nothing he could do to save her life.  The father nearly kills Herbert for not saving his wife and is lead away by other townsmen.  That night Barry and Herbert are awoken by something knocking on their back door.  They open the door to see the dead boxer, on all fours, staring at them with a kid's hand in its mouth.  Herbert shoots the abomination to death and they dispose of the body and get the hell out of town.

Story 4 features Barry visiting Herbert after some time spent apart.  Herbert declares he has found a way to perfectly embalm a dead person so they do not decay and shows him a specimen.  This way they can further perfect the reanimation solution without worrying about decay.  They inject the dead person with the fluid and he comes back to life revealing that Herbert is the one who killed him and then immediately dies.

Story 5 has the crazy couple enlisting in the Canadian armed forces to fight in the first world war as doctors, but really its to give them fresh corpses to work on.  Their commander is decapitated in a plane crash and they resurrect him and The commander flips out. A German shell bombs the trench they were in. Barry and Herbert survive but no trace of the commander can be found.

Story 6 has Herbert retiring in a nice house adjacent to a graveyard. He no longer has any interest in pursuing the reanimation serum and just wants to live in peace. Barry visits often and they talk about their adventures. One night the old Dean is broken out of the asylum by a gang of creepy guys.  They come to Herbert's new home and drop off a box.  Herbert and Barry go to burn the box only to have the wall broken down by the gang, which is alluded to consisting of all of the people they experiment on in the past.  They rip Herbert apart and knock Barry out.

I will say Lovecraft did an excellent job telling these short stories. The first 3 are very interesting and fun to read, the latter 3 seemed rushed and although had some cool concepts and imagery, fell short of the mark.  Then again it probably would read well today if it was rewritten into a single narrative instead of a series of adventures. I have not seen the 80s movie based on these stories but have heard it is great.  There is an audio book version out there (youtube has it) where Jeffrey Combs narrates all the stories. If you don't have time to read, his audio book is well worth the listen. :::cheers:::

Any recommendations on what to read next?
― Jake the Dog