home

Author Topic: I miss the Old World  (Read 25266 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: I miss the Old World
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
Come on guys Ninth Age is alive !

It even has companies making new miniatures for Ninth,

it's a much more awesome balanced game also,

I'm planning a game in Sept

I know maybe this will work I plan on looking at it.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
I've been playing since the 90's, but for me the golden age wasn't until 7th, almost 8th. It wasn't really the rules but the community. I spent most of my early gaming years either in remote rural locations, or the stores nearby where not particularly nice about a 'kid' playing the game. Especially fantasy. I can remember going to a store for the first time to game, being so excited, and a huge group of the player said I needed to go find another game and not ruin fantasy for them. It just happened to be one asshole store, but it did sour my early gaming for a bit.

Right around mid 7th is when I got a large group of my friends into it AND we got a good location to play at. Having a circle of friends who play regularly make all the difference.

To be honest I'm really happy to see AoS updating stuff like warhammer skirmish and Path of Glory to their system. Both of those were awesome. I'm pretty on board with AoS, but I still treat it like just another gaming system. The fluff for it has been evolving just like warhammer and I like where its going!

It's still not the old world, but we play that regularly on top of our AoS or other stuff. The Old World never dies comrades! It lives on within!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 12:26:19 AM »
Agree with all of the above. 👆 The store I started at had an incredible team who were all enthusiastic about the game. It just so happened that there were 2 stores in the city and the one we went to leaned towards fantasy and the other 40k. The group I got to meet were a great group and I became friends with them all and started the tournaments with them. What a group. One was a printer, another a paramedic , another a high tech physicist and another nuclear reactor dude plus a group of uni students. Everyone was welcoming and it was such a good crowd. Those a-holes at that store actually have me pissed off Gankom. How dare they piss on someone's enthusiasm. Anyway it sounds like you found the right group. The whole routine was Tuesday night fantasy, Thursday 40k and Saturday anything goes. We had bloodbowl, battlefleet gothic etc. Really good times. After beer and food at the local Moxies. It's amazing how wrapped up you can get if you let it. Have no regrets blowing tons of cash that I could use now lol. Someday I would like to open a store that catered to all these games. Historical miniatures and games from every corner of the globe of every type and room to play them all. Complete fantasy but that's what this is 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 12:58:18 AM »
right after I got out of the military I was offered a job managing a local game shop and loved every minute of it. we have tournaments and a whole host of games. It was like being able to hang out with your gaming buddies and get paid for it. Plus I got huge discounts for my own stuff. I was in nerd heaven....... Just a side note if you want to open a game store beware gamers are cheap so do not let it be your only source of income because you will literally starve to death hahaha the owner had a few other businesses and this was a tax write off. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:34 AM »
Every game store I've seen in the past few years survives off magic and yu gi oh cards. They make barely anything off table top stuff like warhammer and the other more recent games. I've seen a lot of game stores go under in the past few years, between the recession and just not making much off hobbies to begin with.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
Every game store I've seen in the past few years survives off magic and yu gi oh cards. They make barely anything off table top stuff like warhammer and the other more recent games. I've seen a lot of game stores go under in the past few years, between the recession and just not making much off hobbies to begin with.

I was told you had to have 1 game shop per 100,000 people in order to break even or make a small profit. I talked to an owner of a local game shop not long ago and he smiled and stated he made $14,000.00 last year in his store. I told him a guy working 40 hours a week at McDonalds make 20+ a year  :dry:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »
I talked to an owner of a local game shop not long ago and he smiled and stated he made $14,000.00
That doesn't sound like a lot. Shopkeeping is hard work, I'd imagine.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 08:01:21 AM »

To be honest I'm really happy to see AoS updating stuff like warhammer skirmish and Path of Glory to their system. Both of those were awesome.
Gw bringing back those things like they did with Warhammer Quest, is mocking the Warhammer fans, not only they deleted  Warhammer and miniatures, they keep pillaging from it while they could have used an array of different names.
I.e: Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower makes me think about a boardgame set in the World of Warhammer, precisely the Silver Tower of van Horstmann and his cabal, but nooooo it's a eeew of sigmar thing.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
I prefer to see it as taking inspiration from, and continuing the memory of the previous games. How many kids are going to make new memories of these games, just as previous ones did? That's how it was with me, and every week at the game store I see it happening for others.  :::cheers:::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
I prefer to see it as taking inspiration from, and continuing the memory of the previous games. How many kids are going to make new memories of these games, just as previous ones did? That's how it was with me, and every week at the game store I see it happening for others.  :::cheers:::

you right I'm glad that its working for others. I've just not seen it for myself yet. I get a lot of gripping ( like myself) even talking to the younger generations but I guess like LOTR miniature game it sale have to be up somewhere. I truly wish they would have just split the game into three categories. 1- play in the old world. 2- play in the end of times. 3- play AoS . I know I can do that but finding others willing to play the old game is very hard as the bitterness runs deep lol   
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
Making it set in AoS means they exclude old school warhammer players. Making it set in the old world, confuses new AoS players.
It would have been better if they released a mod with alternate miniatures to cover both. Sure people would complain about money grabbing, but at least that wouldn't be a new complaint, and we could get new old world warhammer quest.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »
Actually there will be another version of digital Warhammer Quest, set during the End Times. I liked the previous one, so I'll check this one out as well, even tough it's a EoT-based game.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 02:24:30 AM »
Physical. Not digital. Digital is easy.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 03:01:59 AM »
I enjoy 6th edition, and when I return to playing WFB, I'm going to restart there.

I also like using the Warhammer rules system that permitted scaled down sized games, but can't recall its name currently.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
There was Warhammer Skirmish and Mordheim. That said, the 6th edition BRB itself already included skirmish and siege rules.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »
I enjoy 6th edition, and when I return to playing WFB, I'm going to restart there.

I also like using the Warhammer rules system that permitted scaled down sized games, but can't recall its name currently.

Great idea. We are playing the 6th edition campaign "Dark Shadows" ATM, and it works great. Warhammer Skirmish is also heaps of fun, and easy to master. Definetly the finest of all editions is the 6th (in my humble opinion, of course). :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »
I was feeling nostalgic recently as well so I started a Warhammer Classics thread at the EEFL forum...some cool old white dwarf tutorials, armies, photos of collections.

EEFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 02:42:32 AM »
You know I sell retro toys online and the sad thing about that is that all the communities of guys out there who collect [insert now obscure 80's action figure franchise here] is that all those guys seem to do is get on their message boards and scream about how 'great' the 80's were. They're living in the past. They cant accept change and move on. We're not becoming like them are we?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 03:58:31 AM »
You know I sell retro toys online and the sad thing about that is that all the communities of guys out there who collect [insert now obscure 80's action figure franchise here] is that all those guys seem to do is get on their message boards and scream about how 'great' the 80's were. They're living in the past. They cant accept change and move on. We're not becoming like them are we?

no, of course not, living in the past and not able to move forward is a sign of psychological disconnection. I'm just pissed the game I played sense 1994 is gone ad replaced with space invaders BS.  :biggriin:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
For me there is nothing wrong with remembering how good the old times were, especially when current life sucks. That said, I love reading the old WD's, especially the narrated battle reports and Warhammer Chronicles. Ah, these were the times...

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
For me there is nothing wrong with remembering how good the old times were, especially when current life sucks. That said, I love reading the old WD's, especially the narrated battle reports and Warhammer Chronicles. Ah, these were the times...

absolutely... saying that, the issue comes when someone seems not to be able to move forward, or feel like they're are stuck in the past as the present nor future holds any importants anymore. BUT this is a different topic..

Nostalgia is a great feeling and why people loved the people 80's, well because we stood on the precipice of great changes, We still had the action figures yet electronic games where becoming a new and exciting thing. TV shows were still limited to some, not overwhelming with 1000's of different options, Saturday morning cartoons was something to look forward to and we had the cold war raging all around. We were literally filled with uncertainty and my kid imagination running wild thinking Russian paratroopers were going to invade my small country town at any moment!!!  Wolverines!!!! :icon_razz:   
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2017, 05:27:27 AM »
You know what I remember about the 80's? My dad working three jobs, my mother working two and my recently retired grandparents having to get jobs as well. Oh yes and as for TV, rural Australian programing was abysmal at that point in time.
I have fond memories of oldskool G.I. Joe and Transformers but I don't get involved too much in those communities anymore as the fans of those properties cant accept that it isn't 1985 anymore. My nephew LOVES the Optimus Prime from the live action movies and he's been frequently accused of being 'wrong' by angry fans because the toy robot he loves that turns into a red truck is a different toy robot that turns into a red truck that they used to have. Its kind of sad. Toy collectors can be like Michael J Fox; always trying to get back to 1985.
Although I like going through my old WD's and rulebooks, I try not to get too sad or angry at any significant changes or OOP models.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
The time period is actually pretty irrelevant - it is what you 'invest' in something.

I came to the hobby when I was well over 40 years old, in the late 90s when my two boys discovered Warhammer. Joining in with them and helping them with their armies, and making scenery led me to get my own army.
Then I became hooked and as my sporting life waned, tabletop gaming was my new hobby.

So I have had around 20 years of it and the Warhammer Fantasy world was the main 'glue' for most of that period - that is what you miss.
That loss is the disappointment.

You could walk into a gaming store or go to the Eurobash and other people there knew who Raukov or Todbringer were.

Hell I know lots of people who have had shorter marriages than that ............ 

............ and probably invested less in them.    :engel:

What is also very frustrating is that now. today, we seem to have proper management back at GW, starting to do things the old way again, with them investing in the hobby to get sales.

Unfortunately it had to happen after they canned the Old World.  :icon_evil: 
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
I looked on eBay the other day and found the old school metal Warhammer fantasy figures still for sale at outrageous prices, sooo I guess the market still wants these old dudes and I'm cool with that. I'm going to start playing 9th age soon... we will see
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
If your looking for skirmish stuff, I highly recommend Frostgrave. It's got a really good Mordheim feel to it. For mass battles, both 9th Age and Kings are popular around here. Heck theres a large group of people using either rule set, but set entirely in the warhammer world.