home

Author Topic: Miniatures Comparisons - Please Post Here  (Read 212240 times)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: Miniatures Comparisons - Please Post Here
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
That looks fantastic!  :Ohmy:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47:02 PM »
Very kind, Victor. Thank you

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
I hadn't thought about it, but seeing them together like that, that mounted hero with the sword and the footmodel next to it could work as mounted and dismounted versions of the same character.  :happy:

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:08 AM »
Is it me or do Hasslefree do a lot of naked and/or topless chicks? Also, what unit is that 5th Ed. GW DoW standard bearer? He looks like he's from one of the DoW pike units....

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:29 AM »
Also, what unit is that 5th Ed. GW DoW standard bearer? He looks like he's from one of the DoW pike units....

You mean this one on the right?

He's from Ricco's Republican Guard - the best armoured and elite of the three DoW pikemen units.

-Z
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:43:47 PM by Midaski »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »
Quick look cos I have other priorities right now... MoM Miniatures Halberdiers with a classic GW for comparison...

First impressions - a little larger, quite a lot of flash to be cleaned.

Offline SDPalmer12

• Members
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2017, 03:49:09 AM »

Painted Warlord Games Landsknechts, going to use as Pikemen or Spearmen, depending how fussy the opponent is.

I think they stack up pretty well scale wise to GW models, just the hands, heads and weapons more to actual scale.

And a unit of 24 is very nicely priced.

Offline Dark Lord Galax

• Members
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »
I'm adding something to SDpalmer12's review, hoping it can help somebody who hasn't already decided about buying
Warlord Landsknectsh pikemen.

I also tried to provide a comparison to Gw 6th edition Infantry at the end.

First, the bodies right out of the sprue.
Here you see two standard rank and file and one command sprue, for a total of 13 bodies, 12 pikes and 2 handguns.
Each box provides 5 sprues with 6 bodies each, and a command sprue with a full plate armoured one.
As you can see, torsoes and legs are combined in a single piece.

I already remove the round base under the models' feet, because it easier for me to make bases this way.
Those bases add 1,5mm to the models height, so if you plan to mix them with regular GWs it's a good idea to keep them in order to have them fitting better.

Here, a highly detailed picture of the sprue

Front

Rear

Then, a picture of the assembled unit:

and a "field comparison" to old GWs:

I found them as a mid way between GW's 6th ed. (a little bit smaller and proportionate) and Perrys' WotR range (a little bigger and "heroic").
They've been sculpted by Mike Anderson, so the sculpting style and face expressions are quite similar to GW's greatsword plastic kit.
I still hadn't try to mix 6th ed. and Warlord pikemen, but I think the results may vary depending on which bits you mix.
The style is very Gw-ish, so you'd probably enjoy them even in a full GW army until you don't make mixed units.

Of course if you use some of GWs heads on Warlord torsoes you would have a Funko-Pop effect (  :ph34r: ), but the other way round may work.
If you don't mix them arms could quite fit bodies of the other kit, or at least it's worth trying.

I bought two boxes of these guys and I'm pretty happy to give this kit an 8.5/10 valutation.  :engel:
Really, really enjoy it.  :happy:

Finally, a comparison between a Gw swordsman, a perry man at arm from the WotR range (on sprue) and the Warlord unit champion:

:smile2:
:x  :mellow:  :ph34r:  "Fede, acciaio e povere da sparo"  :engel:  :happy:  :dry:

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2018, 12:55:24 AM »
Just to note;
MoM Miniatures Halberdiers are very delicate to be handled allot. Played skirmish game with my friends figures last weekend and we snapped 3 weapon heads. So me is going to buy some one piece halberds and replace the originals. Very nice models.

Offline Dark Lord Galax

• Members
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2018, 04:43:36 AM »
I've taken a couple of comparison pics!  :engel:

So, first of all, only non-Gw models still aviable on commerce:

From left to right: Mom Halberdier, Perry man at arms, Walord Landsknetch, Mom Halberdier, Perry man at arms, Walord Landsknetch.
As you can see, Mom models are truly bigger than both Perrys and Warlord ones.
Also, proportions are quite different.

A sidenote: I removed the small round base from Warlord miniatures but not from Perry ones as you can (not so clearly) see. So, Perry models are actually a couple mm shorter and they actually have the same height of Warlord ones.
More about that later but, as I said in one of my previous posts, if you want to make Landsknetch seem a little bigger than they actually are just leave the round base and try to cover it with sand or other textures and static grass.

Now, another issue: how do they rank up with standard Gw footsoldiers?
Well, I may say not quite bad as I imagined but the difference is quite "important".  :mellow:

Again, you can cheat on height by removing or leaving the small, round bases.
Mom miniatures, apart from having quite a different style about dresses and weapons, are a little bigger and with different proportions... And that may be an issue putting together an army.

But then I noticed something...

Heads from all the plastic kits have quite the same dimensions!
(1st row Gw 7th edition, 2nd row Gw 6th edition, 3rd row Perry miniatures, 4th row Warlord games)

But be careful:
-this does not include plumes
-the difference between historical and Gw ones is not so much, but if you try to put a Gw head on a Perry model it will make an ugly funko-pop effect... this works only the other way round!

Perry and Warlord heads fit perfectly on both 6th and 7th edition Gw models, both by measure (less than 0,5mm difference) and in style (Gw 6th edition heads are from Perry brothers themselves, while both 7th edition Greatswords and Warlord Landsknetchs have been sculpted by Mike Anderson).
On the other way, 6th and 7th edition arms fit quite well on Perry and Warlord models.

To summarize:

-> Good mixes and conversions  :happy:
Perry/Warlord heads on Gw bodies
Gw arms and weapons on Perry/Warlord bodies

-> Bad mixes and conversions   :x
Gw heads on Perry/Warlord bodies
Perry/Warlord arms and weapons on Gw models

Here a comparison:

From left to right (with their respective arms and weapons):
Walord Landsknetch, Perry man at arms, 6th edition empire soldier, 7th edition empire archer, 7th edition empire soldier, 7th edition greatsword.

But, after all, it's only one the thing that matters: how do these different sculpts interact on the battlefield?   :happy: :smile2: :dry:

I was a little curious so I made a couple tentatives. Here they are:

Of course the painting makes the units seem more different in scale than they really are, but the results are not so bad after all. A coherent scheme and a couple tricks may do the job well.

Closer:

This is not so bad, is it?
But we're just talking about Infantry, because...

A point about Cavalry

Gw has always made horses on heroic proportions, so "historical" ones won't fit.
Perry miniatures makes a couple of great plastic kits to represent heavy and light cavalry in late 15th Century, but if you want to mix them with Gw ones (Electoral cavalry and Reiters respectively), I suggest you not to.
The reason why is soon explained:

I think the picture is speaking by herself.  :ph34r:
From right to left: Perry Knight, Gw 6th edition, Gw 8th edition (conversion) and Gw 7th edition (Captain and General kit)
The difference amongst sizes is quite stunning and may be seen from far away, but maybe they can work together.
Surely not in the same unit.

A point about Artillery

It's the same situation we pointed out about cavalry, but here it's even worse: not only the aviable Perry artillery is metal and Gw proportions are even more exgerated.

Here, a pic:

Quite a deal to make them fit in the same army, I suppose.  :Ohmy:

If needed, I can provide a couple more pics and opinions.
:x  :mellow:  :ph34r:  "Fede, acciaio e povere da sparo"  :engel:  :happy:  :dry:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
Good comparisons, thank you.  :::cheers:::

The only problem is with the artillery photo. You put the bigger GW artillery piece at the front and the smaller Perry piece at the back, thus enhancing the difference. (Of course there is a huge difference, the GW gunners are 30mm from foot to eye, so even bigger and bulkier than the Militia. And the Great Cannon is more akin to a siege cannon on wheels. But the Empire is a fantasy land, in the end.)

-Z

Offline Dark Lord Galax

• Members
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
You're right on both your points!  :happy:

So, here's a better pic to remedy:

The main fact is Gw crew is truly sculpted "bigger" than their rank and file counterpart of the same edition, while Perry one is even smaller than plastic mercenaries, thus making the comparison even more impressive.

:dry:

I'll soon make one to compare Gw and Perry metal infantrymen since the result is quite different from plastic models.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »
I have 'repaired' a few of the pics throughout this thread.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline SDPalmer12

• Members
« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:08 AM »
Thanks for all the work DarkLord Galax - you're following along exactly what I have been painting the last few months.
I'll post a picture of my completed Perry WoTR Halberdiers next to 6th GW Spearmen in a bit.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »
How about Wargames foundry Hundred Years War mounted knights compared with GW Bretonnian knights? I was just about to press 'Pay' when I realised I should check first. (Their civilian range looks ace ... I'm buying all of them.)
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Bugman

• Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Members
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »
You don’t happen to hVe those cab pictures do you? Thank you
http://Http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The oldest, largest &  most informative Dwarf Website in the old world

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
How about Wargames foundry Hundred Years War mounted knights compared with GW Bretonnian knights? I was just about to press 'Pay' when I realised I should check first. (Their civilian range looks ace ... I'm buying all of them.)

Small 28mm, so pretty tiny compared to GW Bretonnians.

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2019, 06:09:47 AM »
Does anyone have a comparison shot of CMONs "A Song of Ice and Fire- Starks" and Fireforge Games "Forgotten World- Northern Kingdom" ?
(If they are even released yet…)

Lots of nice minis being released lately….feeling very fortunate   :biggriin:
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline solarcross

• Members
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »
Does anyone have a comparison shot of CMONs "A Song of Ice and Fire- Starks" and Fireforge Games "Forgotten World- Northern Kingdom" ?
(If they are even released yet…)

Lots of nice minis being released lately….feeling very fortunate   :biggriin:
Yup, I was a backer of Fireforge Games Forgotten World; I got my greedy claws on both Northmen and Living Dead early.  I was looking at the northmen as alternative Bretonnians and I thought I would not be the only one so I did a bit of a review and scale comparison on my blog:

https://solarcrossgames.co.uk/the-hobby/northmen-and-living-dead/

I also did a youtube video review and unboxing, you can find the link in the blog article.  It's a bit long but if you just want the size comparison you can skip to 29:00.

for bonus points I also examined fireforge Games Albion knights.

TL;DR
Northmen are an exact fit in terms of scale and proportion (GW Heroic Scale) but Albion Knights are not! (28mm true scale)

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »
Thank you for the Northmen comparison.  :::cheers:::

They look really good. A must buy it seems.  :smile2:

Strange that the Albions arent same scale as they supposedly also are a part of Forgotten Worlds.
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »
Strange that the Albions arent same scale as they supposedly also are a part of Forgotten Worlds.

The Albion knights are based on FF historical minis, which are close to truescale 28mm. With the Forgotten World kickstarter, they intentionally created a 'heroic 28mm' fantasy line.

-Z

Offline solarcross

• Members
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2019, 07:05:44 PM »
I just made an absurdly detailed comparison of Perry Mercenaries with GW handgunners:

https://solarcrossgames.co.uk/wfb/perry-mercenaries-vs-gw-handgunners-empire-troops/

I explore the potential for cross scale kitbashing too.    :biggriin:

Offline solarcross

• Members
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
https://youtu.be/V4wCmyaW3Mo
Perry vs Games Workshop for Empire State Troops on Youtube
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:41:44 PM by solarcross »

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2020, 06:30:50 PM »
I'm curious to see how the new Oathmark skeletons are gonna stack up. They look really good, and I like the bronze armour and such that they wear, for that truly ancient risen warrior look. The Mantic skeletons are a bit on the goofy side, GW ones are very expensive (and I have never really liked the idea of someone making spooky undead-themed armour for them to dress in), and other plastic skeletons are a bit too Greek themed, or rubbish.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
I would be very interested too, despite already having surfeit of skeletons!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/