home

Author Topic: The Brennenburg Chronicles: Latest edition 6/22/05  (Read 8136 times)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
The Brennenburg Chronicles: Latest edition 6/22/05
« on: April 18, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »
I posted this as well in the Imperial Office, but maybe it would be better served here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What are you going to do my lord?” A deep voice echoed from the darkness of the shadow.

“It is not my choice, Gregor.” The chamber fell silent for a brief moment before the lord of Brennenburg spoke again. “I am sick of all this bickering. All of the provinces squabble like children, weakening everyone as they go.”

The Graf rubbed his head slightly as he stopped speaking and looked over to his friend who sought reassurance. Silence again fell upon the room, the only sound coming from the fire crackling in the hearth. Graf Wolfgard leaned forward over the table in front of him looking at papers scattered about, squinting due to the lack of light. He slowly closed his eyes as the pain became a little more intense, leaning heavily on the table in front of him.

“Are you alright my lord?” asked a concerned Gregor as he poured a small amount of brandy into a chalice.

“Yes, I am fine,” the Graf commented as he opened his eyes seeing Gregor offering the chalice. “Thank you. I did not receive much sleep last night. Lukas was reminding me yet again why we should fight by Martin’s side.”

The Graf’s servant smiled, knowing all too well the priest of Sigmar’s passion and speeches. He had been heard by many in public and private proclaiming that Brennenburg should support Martin no matter Wissenland’s decision. This had been causing Wolfgard some trouble as his people were devout Sigmarites and he feared they may be riled into a frenzy.

“That man is driving me mad,” spoke Wolfgard as he tipped back his chalice. “And if the Count in Wissenburg chooses to side with the Ottilia or Severin he may incite a rebellion.”

“Do you think the Count will do that, sire?” asked Gregor with a hint of concern in his voice.

“I am not sure. I do not think so, but politics is a fickle game.”

“Well, what do you desire my lord?”

“My wishes matter little in this matter, Gregor. Of that I assure you,” he said quietly as he leaned back in his plush chair. “I long for peace in the Empire, however, and I believe that the best hope to unite the land may lie with Martin.”

“Lukas would be pleased to hear those words,” smiled Gregor. “And I think you under appreciate your value, my lord. Your counsel is highly sought after, for the Count himself has asked for it.”

“I trust you will not tell him,” Wolfgard chuckled. “And thank you. Your loyalty and friendship has steadied me for many years. Now, if you will take your leave my friend, I must get some rest. The journey to Wissenburg is long and I shall need my strength for the trials ahead.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2
Confrontation in the Rain

The rain fell steadily on the landscape making life miserable for the people.  Luckily the streets were cobbled or else they would be impossible to traverse.  No one would be out on a day like that unless there was a need.  Unfortunately for many, there is always a need.  The streets were somewhat crowded with individuals coming and going, and at this time of day, it was travel to inns or home to obtain a mid-day’s meal.  Nothing troublesome was about at this hour usually.  An occasional discrepancy or scuffle would occur but nothing to worry about.  The real worries came after dark.  Many things happened at night, and the patrols were always out, but eyes and ears work but so well and the darkness hides much.  

Captain Schaufelein walked the streets with his small patrol, keeping an eye out for any foul play, although he really did not concern himself with that so much.  He was bothered more about trying to stay dry, which was utterly impossible.  As he passed the townspeople he would receive greetings as a man of respect often does and he graciously returned them with a smile.  As he and his few men continued onward down towards the central market area, the sound of a man’s booming voice could be heard over the rain and the random noises of the town.

“Not again,” Schaufelein muttered to himself as he stopped in his tracks.  His men quickly halted behind him, spears held expertly over their right shoulders.

“Pardon me, sir,” spoke one of the men behind Schaufelein.

“Yes, Rolf.  What is it?”

“Sir, is that Father Lukas?” the young man questioned as he strode up next to his commander.

“Indeed.  I believe it to be lad,” he responded as he ran his gloved hand over his dark beard.  “Let’s go take a look and see what he has to say today.”

The patrol marched out of sync into the plaza where a statue of Rhinehard, the first great leader of Brennenburg, stood.  Beyond the effigy the voice of Father Lukas was heard again, him speaking to a crowd that was slowly gathering.  This was a testament to the man, for few could hold an audience of any magnitude in a steady rain.  

“The time has come to unite the Empire!” shouted Lukas.  “We have been given a great opportunity to do this.  With our never ending trust in Sigmar we shall achieve victory over the heretic Ulricians!” The warrior priest stood in the open on top of a cart to where all those in the crowd could plainly see him.  No one ever doubted his piety, but often his means were questioned.  He had been noted for bravery in battle several times, but it had been shown on many occasions that he liked to fight, no matter who it was with.  This is what worried many in the higher rungs of the town’s hierarchy.

“All right, Lukas, that’s enough,” bellowed the Captain as he and his patrol exited the plaza into the market area.  He had heard all he could handle, and that was not much anymore, at least from the priest.  “Let the people go about their business.  You wouldn’t want to be the reason they become ill now would you?”

“Ahhh, Anton!  Have you come to try and quash my devotion to Sigmar yet again?!”

“Lukas, you do not even know how the Count votes.  He may yet, and probably will side with the Stirlanders.  So let us end this now.  Move along,” Schaufelein moved towards the back of the crowd and gently nudged a few telling them to proceed and to get out of the rain before they caught their death.    

“I never thought I would see this from you Anton!” the priest shouted from atop his makeshift pulpit.  “How you lose faith in Sigmar and show sympathy towards the Ulricians disgusts me!”

“I said that’s enough!” replied the Captain, now very angered.  “Do not ever call my devotion to Sigmar into question!  It was Sigmar who stood by my side when I received this wound,” he pointed to a huge gaping scar that ran across the left side of his face.  “And this limp that I walk with now,” pointing down towards his right leg where he took an arrow that lodged into his bone, the arrowhead still remained.  “I have prayed to Sigmar many a night and day and he has guided me through countless engagements.  Be wary of whose honor you question Lukas,” he now said more quietly as he made his way through the crowd.  “It may bring about your demise.  Now move along!”

The crowd murmured quietly amongst themselves and began to disperse.  The priest’s tactic to discredit Captain Schaufelein upset many, for they knew what a great warrior and patron of Sigmar he was.  Father Lukas jumped down from the cart and gave the Captain a long stare before proceeding down a small alley, retreating back to the temple to lick his wounds.

“That’s it folks, move along,” said Schaufelein, his tone much less angered and in his normal friendly manner.  “Get inside out of this rain.”  Looking around at the nearly empty market he turned to his men saying, “Alright boys, now let’s do the same.  Back to the barracks.”
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Kernschatten

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:18:44 PM »
Very good! I hope there is more to come.
"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
:-D Thanks a lot.  I'm really geared towards writing at the moment.  Now I just need to find time in between all of my history and anthropology papers. :cry:   I'll make due though.

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:20:39 PM »
New addition for all those interested.  The tension builds in Brennenburg. :twisted:

not together.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 06:34:53 PM »
Very nice :-D

If you could pen a brief one-paragraph introduction on what/where Brennenburg is and how it stands in IY 2146, I'd be happy to include this in the "fanfic" section of the website.

...once it goes open to the public, of course ;)
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Brennenburg IY 2146
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 12:50:52 AM »
As requested here's a synopsis on my town prior to the war....

Brennenburg lies along the Wissenland side of the Upper Reik, and some two-hundred miles (320 kilometers) up stream of Nuln.  It has come to prominence as a fortress town which has been growing for over four-hundred years.  By the year 2146 the town is lead by Graf Wolfgard Olenbay, a man who has ruled justly for nearly twenty years.  He tires of warfare amongst the provinces and longs for a united Empire.  Not an overly religious man he is beset by those in the community that are ardent Sigmarites, decrying all Ulricians and all those that would show any sympathy towards them.  With the coming of war, Wolfgard is wary of entering the fray, unsure of who to support.  He leans towards Martin and the Stirlanders, although he thinks ideologically along the lines of the Middenlanders.  He seeks guidance from the reigning Elector Count of Wissenland as his heart and mind are torn, all the while trying to look after his people.

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:35:02 PM »
Part 3
Devotion

Running quickly through the back alleyways of Brennenburg, Father Sebald pondered to himself what he had gotten himself into.  As he came to an opening in the alley he quickly stopped, crouched down and cautiously peered out into the larger street.  As he was ready to dash across the intersection he heard footsteps.  He slammed himself into the wall at his back and hid there in the shadows.  Soon, a patrol of the town’s guard passed by casually laughing and talking in order to pass the time on what seemed to be a rather dull night.  As they turned the corner down the street Sebald breathed easily and ran across the street to the entrance of the temple.  

“Where have you been?” questioned Lukas, as he gazed at the young priest in front of him.

Sebald’s heart leapt inside him as he was frightened by the words.  He slowly closed the door and turned to face the head priest of the temple.  “I had to avoid the patrols, I…I apologize for my lateness.”

“Excuses,” Lukas spat as he turned his back and walked quickly away from Sebald.  The young priest walked hurriedly to catch up to him and finally did once reaching the small library in the back of the temple.  As Sebald began to close the door to the room, Lukas spoke once again, “Well, do you need to be told to light a candle?”

“No, I am sorry Brother Lukas,” he replied scrambling to light a few candles on a table at the middle of the room.  

“That is more like it,” Lukas stared with distaste upon the young man who was the newest edition to his order.  “Now what news do you carry?”

“Well,” Sebald hesitated for a moment but noticed Lukas’ impatience growing with each passing second. “Jakob is not willing,” is all he could manage to say as he cringed in anticipation of the tongue lashing he would receive.

“What did you say?”

Again Sebald hesitated, his fear growing vastly inside him.  “Jakob is unwilling to support your cause, Brother.  He feels as though we should at least wait until Lord Wolfgard returns from Wissenburg before any further dialogue is continued.”

“The fool!” Lukas erupted, banging his fists upon the table.  “He looses faith along with the rest!”

Sebald remained silent as his infuriated Brother paced in front of him, before finally summoning the courage to speak.  “Maybe Jakob has a point, Brother.”

Before the time it takes an arrow to strike a foe from a hundred paces, Lukas turned and back handed the young Sebald.  “How dare you,” he spoke callously and calmly.  “I knew you were not worthy of being a priest of our Father Sigmar.  You lack the faith, as does everyone else in this forsaken town.”  

The young man held his face where his Brother had struck him, looking away tears welled up in his eyes from the words that he had just heard which hurt far worse than any physical wound.  He slowly looked up to see Lukas pacing back and forth, with his hand on his brow muttering words softly to himself.  

“Jakob can not be trusted anymore,” Lukas began.  “It looks as though we shall have to deal with him.  And it looks as though I shall have to take my plea to the people with a renewed vigor.”

“Jakob has much to lose Brother,” commented Sebald, shocked at the words that escaped his mouth.  “As a member of the town council it would be almost foolhardy to act.”

Lukas turned to hit the youthful priest again but held himself.  “Get out of my sight,” he said lowering his hand.  “Get out of my sight!” he shouted as Sebald paused.  “You are just like the rest!  You are all unworthy of Sigmar’s grace!  Get out damn you!”

Sebald ran out of the room as Lukas turned around and pulled a rather elegant looking chair from beneath the table.  He fell hard into the lush cushions and leaned back fully covering his eyes with his hand, his many gold rings gleaming from the small light in the room.  “This lack of devotion sickens me,” he spoke softly to himself.  “I shall make sure that all these heretics burn for their treason to Sigmar.”

Part 4
The Homefront

The rain had started yet again.  It had paused for a short time during the night, but as dawn broke the clouds answered with a downpour.  There was already more rainfall at this point in the year than was normal, and this caused obvious concern amongst the people who feared the crops would be ruined.  This concern was magnified by the increased talk of the men marching north to Ostermark and fighting alongside one of the three great powers.  The rain seemed to symbolize the mood of the people, who like their lord, tired of warfare with their kinsmen.  Warfare with orcs, goblins, and even the occasional skirmish with the Bretons to the east was expected, but stability in the Empire was craved in Brennenburg..

Rolf could see this in the eyes of the people as he walked from the barracks to his home on the fringes of the town, near the south gate.  He moved at a quick pace down the main street eager to get home and enjoy a little time off which was granted him by Captain Schaufelein.  As the young sergeant moved closer to his home, cries could be heard from the inside which made him smile.  He hurried along and entered his modest home, unhooking his sword from his belt and placing it on the table by the door, soon followed by his drenched cloak.

As he set down his weapon, his young wife, Lucia, called out.  “Rolf,” she came towards him opening her arms.  “I’m so glad you’re home,” she smiled as they embraced.

“I’m happy as well, my love,” Rolf replied as he pulled back holding her at arms length, admiring her beauty.  “Once Captain Schaufelein heard, he insisted I take some time to be with you.”

“I am thankful he did.  Sigmar has blessed him in many ways.  You thank him for me when you return to the barracks,” the whole time she spoke she gazed deeply into his eyes.

“I will,” he said embracing her again.  As he did he heard cries come from the back of his small home.  He looked over his wife’s shoulder to see a small basinet relatively close to the fire, but not too close.  Taking his wife’s hand, Rolf walked over to the basinet and looked down and beamed with pride and love as he looked down upon his small daughter, only a few days old.

“She’s as beautiful as her mother,” he smiled as he reached down to pick up his first child.  “She’ll be the fancy of many lads as she grows.”

“She’ll need her father then, to guide and protect her,” Lucia stated softly as she put her hand on Rolf’s shoulder.

“I will do everything in my power to do so,” he replied, his voice shaking with emotion.  

There was a short silence that seemed like an eternity as the loving parents looked down upon their child.  Rolf knew that his wife was trying to build up the courage to ask him the question they both feared.  

“Will you march north to Ostermark?” she asked.  The words nearly seemed to shatter the silence though they were spoken gently.

“It is not certain yet, my love” he replied as he sat on the bed in the corner.  “But unfortunately, it looks as though we might.  All regiments have been called up.  Captain says the town militia will be called up soon for extra training for home guard,” he paused looking at his daughter rubbing her cheek gently with his finger before he spoke again.  “For whose banner we fight for, I do not know.  That is still to be determined.”

“I trust in Lord Wolfgard to make the right decision,” she said as she sat down next to Rolf, leaning her head onto his shoulder.  “Sigmar will guide him.  Now come,” she said as she took their daughter into her arms. “Let’s rest.”

As they laid there, Lucia feeding their little daughter, Rolf’s arm wrapped gently around them, protecting the two loves of his life, they all slowly fell into slumber.  For a short time, at least, they could be happy.

not together.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 05:33:42 PM »
This is really shaping into an excellent story! Keep up the good work.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 12:58:15 AM »
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
This is really shaping into an excellent story! Keep up the good work.

Coming from the great Imperial scribe that's one heck of a compliment. :wink:   Thanks, and there's definitely more on the way.

not together.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 08:35:50 AM »
I'm hooked too - keep it going.

I had to go back and read the first pieces again, to refresh my characters understanding.

Hopefully the Imperial Scribe will be able to collate it, at a future date, into one nice long read..............350 pages?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Kernschatten

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 08:41:39 PM »
Well, now you are just putting me to shame. :-D
Keep it coming. It's nice to have so many different writing styles around. Now I have to find some motiviation...
"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 03:17:15 AM »
Thank you faithful readers. :wink:   I really appreciate the feedback.  It's inspiring me to keep going, well at least to keep posting my stories.

Part 5
Devotion's Test

Wolfgard and his retinue slogged through the mud, but at least the rain had stopped.  The men were tired from their trip, forced upon them by the swelling flow of the Upper Reik.  The small barges used to drift downstream were traded in for horses, but only a few.  Wolfgard rode at the head of the column flanked by his servant Gregor and one of his finest Marshals, Hoffman Breytenbach, with a few aides close at hand.  

The trip to Wissenburg was quite disappointing and frustrating in Wolfgard’s opinion.  He went to discover the Count’s decision regarding the upcoming crisis in Ostermark, but only received more indecision.  Wolfgard understood the weight that came with this decision, so he did not condemn his lord.  After all, he himself had the same difficulties.  The one positive, he thought as they marched, was that the Count did assign a contingent of provincial troops to serve under him and utilize them as he saw.  These handgunners, as they were called, would provide an extra punch to his forces.

“Damn the rain,” spoke Breytenbach.  “The barges would have made this easier.”

“You know as well as I, Hoffman, that they would not make the trip upstream,” responded Wolfgard as he snapped out of his trance.  “It would have been too difficult and dangerous,” he said glancing towards his friend lethargically.  

“You are right my lord,” Breytenbach sighed in response.  “This marching through the mud has worn out the men,” he then said turning in his saddle and seeing the soldiers of the Graf’s guard marching wearily.  The handgunners walked directly behind them while the halberdiers pulled up the rear.  They moved in a haphazard manner, trying to keep up with their lord commander.  Despite the fatigue, they all carried their weapons skillfully over their right shoulders.

“I know, Hoffman, they have done well to march so steadily.  We are close to home, their rest will come soon,” replied the Graf, pointing towards a small sloping ridge ahead.  Behind the trees that lined it, the walls of Brennenburg would be in plain site.  

Suddenly, an arrow whistled through the air, flying between Wolfgard and Hoffman, striking an aide and toppling him from his horse.  Quickly other arrows started to land around Wolfgard and the forward elements of his column, frightening the horses.

“Ambush!” shouted Hoffman, steadying his steed.

“Battle formation!” roared Wolfgard, pulling his sword from it’s scabbard.  “Gunners pour a volley into those trees,” he pointed towards the grove ahead and wheeled his horse to look at his men rushing into formation.

The handgunners stepped up and moved into two files, the first kneeling, and fired a volley.  The effect was not what Wolfgard was hoping.  A few shots went off, splintering tree limbs, but the damp air made it difficult for the matchlocks to stay lit.  “Come on boys!” shouted their sergeant, cursing as he realized what the problem was.  “Fire at will!”

The arrows began to come quicker, a few of the gunners clutching arrows that protruded from their body.  Breytenbach rode over to them seeing what the problem was and he and the sergeant screamed at each other to understand.  With the shouts of the other men and the occasional shot it was nearly impossible to hear.  

The halberds moved to the right of the handgunners pushing forward a bit drawing the fire from their exposed comrades.  “Come on lads!” their sergeant shouted as an arrow struck him sending him to the ground.  As the men formed up, the next in line took command and the halberdiers pushed forward as quickly as possible, fighting fatigue and mud as they went.

“That’s it lads, push on!” shouted Wolfgard as he spurred his steed, with Gregor close behind, bow in hand.  As the men rushed forward, their lord passed them and headed directly into the griffon’s lair, determined to vanquish the threat that hid in the trees.  As Wolfgard approached, a man turned the corner of a tree readying himself, but was relieved of his head before loosing his bow.  “What is this?” Wolfgard shouted in confusion, expecting orcs or goblins.  

Another foe, seeing the Graf of Brennenburg exposed, rushed from behind to cut him down.  Gregor rode between his lord and the assailant and unleashed an arrow that plunged into the man’s chest.  “You must be careful my lord,” said Gregor calmly, restringing his bow and loosing another upon a shadow scurrying through the grove.

The halberdiers crashed through the trees around Wolfgard, screaming and brandishing their weapons, a sudden jolt of energy bolting through them.  They hacked and slashed through any enemy that was unfortunate enough to cross their paths.  Following close behind was Hoffman shrieking at the top of his lungs, bypassing pleasantries with his lord, seeking the head of the fool in charge of the ramshackle ambush.  

“Are you alright my lord?” Gregor asked surveying the chaotic scene.

“Yes, thank you my friend,” he said panting from the exhilaration.  “Looks as though you have saved me once again.”  He himself began scanning the area, and the sounds of the fray were dying away.  The halberdiers were mopping up resistance, which was heard by the occasional cry of pain.  

“Lord Wolfgard!” The shout came from Breytenbach and seemed to originate from the foliage itself.

Wolfgard and Gregor headed towards the direction of the voice, until soon they came upon a small group of men huddled together around a large tree.  “What is it?” questioned Wolfgard as he dismounted, Gregor taking the bridal of his horse.  As he walked through the small cluster of his guard meeting Hoffman at the center, he saw the frame of a man with a large gash disfiguring his chest.  

“Father Sebald?” Wolfgard gasped in amazement as he fell to his knees next to the young priest.  “What is this about?” he wondered as he looked up at his men who returned looks of confusion.

“I did not mean to,” choked Sebald as the blood ran from his mouth.  “It was the only way to show my devotion,” he began to sob uncontrollably.  “Oh, Sigmar, I’m not worthy of your grace!”

“Shhhh, shhh,” whispered Wolfgard.  “Sigmar loves all of his children, you are no different,” he tried to console the young man.  It seemed little use, Sebald continued to weep as his eyes slowly closed and his breathing faded.  

Silence fell upon the men as they looked to their lord for any sort of reaction.  He only stood and reviewed his men.  Looking finally upon Breytenbach, Wolfgard began.  “Tell the men to keep silent of all that happened here.  We were ambushed by orcs.  Is that understood?”  Hoffman and the rest of the men nodded in agreement, all realizing the magnitude of the situation.  “Good,” Wolfgard continued.  “Good job lads, you fought well,” he said taking a deep breath.  “Tend to the wounded…let’s get them home.”

not together.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
Niiice :)

Do you intend to keep a running chronicle during the campaign or are you going to wrap it up at some point? This will unfluence how it gets put on the site.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 11:53:15 AM »
I'm working on the "finale" for the pre-war part.  Then there's going to be a segway where Wolfgard decides which faction to fight for, and I was planning on writing some about the war itself.  Summer's coming up, and I'll have some more spare time to work on this project. :-D

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 06:18:35 PM »
Part 6
Damage Control

Word of the ambush on Lord Wolfgard’s entourage spread quickly throughout the town.  He did not wish for it, but it was difficult to hide when wounded and dying men were being carried through the streets.  As instructed, the men told stories of orcs attacking from within the trees.  People flocked to the gates and walkways as the battered men lumbered towards the barracks.  Many concerned faces watched as their men were carried on improvised gurneys made out of handguns and cloaks.  A few individuals ran into the streets, lending a shoulder for their soldiers to lean on as they hobbled along.  Soon, talk of orc invasion forces began springing up.  The people believed that was the next action, the orcs in the woods were only a scouting party for a much larger horde.  There was an uneasy tension that rapidly gripped them.  

Wolfgard rode atop his horse quietly and calmly behind his men, watching them as they walked through the gates of the city.  He wanted to make sure they would all make it to the barracks where they could be cared for.  Inside his head it was a much different scenario.  The rage he felt was hidden behind his stoic face, reassuring the people of his strength.  Visions of the skirmish leapt to the forefront of his mind as he saw men attacking him in the shadows of the grove.  Seeing Father Sebald’s mangled body confused and upset him.  He knew the young man and admired him for his devotion, but did not realize it would come to that.  Staring blankly ahead, seeing his ancestral castle on the hill in the center of the town, the faces of some of the men that opposed him appeared.  Many of them he did not recognize, but a few did, which only furthered his anger.  He admired his warriors for their loyalty to him, they held to the story of the orc ambush, even though it only spread fear and panic.  It was a small price, however, Wolfgard thought to himself.  The people must not know that it was their own kin who perpetrated the attack.  At least not yet.  There was only one action left to take, and he would make sure it would be carried out soon.

Captain Schaufelein leaned against the wall of the apartment complex.  He crossed his arms and braced himself heavily with his left leg, trying to alleviate some stress on his right which was bothering him.  The dampness seemed to always have that effect.  He looked down the street to his left and saw the crammed walkways filled with carts and people, moving along down towards the plaza and the market.  It was the major day for visiting the markets, and the inhabitants of the town were making sure they could get the best deals before someone else got them.  People talked about the ambush that occurred the day before, but Schaufelein smiled as he saw them, knowing that they were going about their lives as best they could.  

Turning his head the other way, he looked down towards the temple.  He gazed down the street and tried to focus his vision but had some difficulty. His eyes were not what they used to be and he tried to pick out any noticeable figures from the few that wandered the streets.  He looked for a few minutes, finally noticing a figure enter the temple when a patrol turned the corner near him blocking his line of sight.

“Sergeant,” Schaufelein grunted, pushing himself away from the wall.  “Is everything in place?”

“Yessir,” replied Rolf.  “All patrols are in position, if an escape is attempted there will be no where to go.”

“Good job, lad,” Schaufelein grinned.  “I just noticed our friend enter the temple.  Let’s go and pay him a visit.”

The Captain and his small force moved down the street towards the temple at a quick pace, as quickly as Schaufelein’s scarred body could take them.  As they passed the side street where Rolf exited, they saw other men dressed in the state colors holding positions around the doors of the building.  Moving along, they quickly came to the main entrance and halted, Schaufelein whispering final instructions to his men. After taking a deep breath, Rolf threw open the door to the temple and they flooded into the grand hall. There, just in front of the altar, stood Lukas talking to another one of his fellow priests.

“What is the meaning of this?” Lukas questioned with a disgusted tone as he saw Schaufelein.

“Father Lukas,” the Captain began.  “You are under arrest for treason against lord Wolfgard and the people of Brennenburg.”

Lukas burst into laughter, and shooed his brother away as he turned towards Schaufelein.  “Treason?” he laughed heartily again.  “I have done no such thing.”

“Aye, I believe you have,” Schaufelein grinned as he limped forward.  “You were behind the attack in the woods, and you caused the death of many fine lads.  Now come peacefully or I’ll be forced to restrain you,” he stated drawing his sword and holding it towards the priest.  His men followed suit and closed ranks behind their commander.  

“There is no proof of what you speak,” responded Lukas coolly.  “Besides, the people will not stand for this.”

“The people?” Schaufelein emphasized with contempt in his voice.  “Once the people find out it was you who forced Sebald into leading the ambush…and the cause of so much pain to them and their brave warriors,” he paused for a moment calming himself.  “Well, you’ll be begging for their forgiveness.”

Lukas stared down his nose at Schaufelein and said nothing.  The Captain moved towards the priest, sword in hand, gesturing for him to move towards the back.  The men exited towards the rear of the temple and made their way through the alleys towards Wolfgard’s castle.  There Lukas would await his destiny, which firmly depended on how the people would take the news.

not together.

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 12:23:18 AM »
WoW!!!! I love it!! This is some really good writing!
Gave into the WoW.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 03:30:19 AM »
Thanks.  I appreciate it. :-D

not together.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 06:50:19 AM »
Huzzah!

Write more for us :)

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 04:42:32 PM »
Quote from: wissenlander
Thanks.  I appreciate it. :-D

Belive me! It is good!! I am only 15 but I had finished the LOTR Trilogy by age 10. So I think my opinion is not only another post(I hope :? )
Gave into the WoW.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 12:44:07 AM »
Excellent stuff! Please keep up the good work.
It takes but one foe to breed a war, and even those without swords can still die upon them.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 07:21:24 PM »
Well, due to lack of internet capabilities I've been away for a while, but I haven't forgotten about my series.  I haven't had the chance to write anything new, but there should be something coming soon, especially with the start of the war coming.  Thanks for all the positive comments.

not together.

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2005, 03:57:27 PM »
Wissenlander, would you mind if I copied your masterpeice into a word document to share with my gaming group? I would of course give your most honorable name along with your mest excellent story.

-Pete
-kill 'em all, let ULRIC sort 'em out

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »
Sure thing.  I don't mind at all if you share the love. :-D   Are there any Wissenlanders in your gaming group by chance?

not together.

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 06:51:31 PM »
there are not, I'm the only Empire player...Middenland, but I'm sure they will appreciate it all the same

-Pete
-kill 'em all, let ULRIC sort 'em out

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »
Well that's cool.  Glad to see that my stories are liked so much.

not together.