home

Author Topic: What is your favorite thing about Australia ...  (Read 23036 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: What is your favorite thing about Australia ...
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2019, 02:29:20 AM »
Its mainly their weight going through a windshield (and it gets that high because they are jumping, and their bodies have the weight, not their legs), or swerving to miss them. But you knew that.

Yeah I figured. That reminds me of a story.  When I was 10 or 11, we all went to Maine to see my mother's family because she was about to go into surgery to remove a brain tumor. It was night time and my mother had her seat unbuckled to turn around and give something to my sister (donuts from the rest stop I think) and she turned around and clicked her seat belt in and BAM! I was the first to come to. The lights of the car were out. The horn was blaring, and the windshield was in my moms face. I yelled "mom!" and shook her shoulder. That "mom!" seemed to snap my dad back to reality and he came to. We hit a moose. They're top heavy so the main mass of it hit the windshield. They're bigger than a Roo so it didn't go through the windshield. It was a mess. I remember me and my siblings trying to cover my mom on the side of the road with any pillows or blankets we could find to keep her warm as my dad tried to wave someone down to get an ambulance. We kept trying to talk to her and make sure she didn't fall asleep.  Later on at the hospital I was holding my mom's hand as the nurses picked glass out of her face and neck. The lead nurse didn't see me come in and as she was turning to put some glass in the bedpan she saw me and was shocked.
"Uh, you're not afraid of blood are you?" She asked.
My smart ass self replied "Bit late to ask me that now." The other nurses snickered.

The car was totaled, my mom recovered but has no memory of anything that happened after we left the rest area. Our grandmother drove me and my siblings back down to DC and took care of us for a few days while my mom and dad stayed in Maine so she could recover and deal with the fallout of everything with insurance. I remember having to give a statement for insurance purposes and my dad was very curious why I shouted mom when I came too. I explained that I saw the windshield in her face and all the blood and was worried about her. I think he was a bit jealous I wasn't worried about him but I may be reading into it a bit. He had a big gash on his shoulder from shattered glass (still has the scar to this day). My sister had a piece of glass in her eye and my brother had glass dust in his. I came out unscathed. For a good 5 years or so if we ever made the trip again, my dad's family would jokingly ask if we bagged another moose.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
Wow. Thats a rough story. Thanks for sharing. You were pretty lucky. How are your siblings eyes now?

My Grandfather was a truck driver, and used to do long haul. At least once he has hit a kangaroo, but its not going to do much to a truck. He said the safest thing to do if a kangaroo jumps in front is to keep going and not swerve... but again I think that advice has more to do with trucks. He said it was one of the worst smells he ever experienced - dead kangaroo in the grill of the truck....
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
When I was younger and traveling with my father in his pick up truck, we had a deer lower his head and actually charge the moving vehicle and put a small dent in one rear side of it.

While driving one time a ways back, I had a deer bounce off the front of my vehicle get up and keep going.  And there was the one that leaped over my vehicle as it was traveling one time, and when it landed, it collapsed into the field, yet it got back up and kept going.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
Kangaroos are suicidally retarded.  If your only experience of them is watching old episodes of Skippy you might be forgiven for thinking they're quite bright, but no, they are fucking thick.  They'll be hopping along beside the tracks, completely safe, but then suddenly they'll all just jump in front of the train.  It's a rare day on the Hurstbridge or Mernda lines that there's no kangaroo corpse sliced into chunks.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2019, 12:59:44 PM »
Speaking of Skippy
YouTube/Skippy and the atomic bomb

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
Before looking that up - was it from sketch comedy show Fast Forward?  It sounds familiar.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
^
Indeed it was. Though it could have been from Full frontal. I often confuse the two. Both of which are shows I havnt seen in decades

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
My uncle was Sonny in Skippy. One of the Skippies (Skippys?) stayed at my grandparents’ house to bond with him when she was small. The parodies upset Nan but Garry just had a laugh.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
Small world huh

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »
^ :eusa_clap:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2019, 04:53:11 AM »
Anzac Day today. Just as big and important as Rememberance Day here is Aus - maybe more so because its a public holiday and Rememberence Day is not. We baked Anzac Biscuits today, and our neighbour went to meet some friends for some two up.
Also happens to be my son’s birthday, so has been a nice one spending time with the family too.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
^
It was the only public holiday I'd had off in some time

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
i might get a chance to be sent to the University of Queensland for a fortnight at the end of July.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2019, 12:21:24 AM »
Just watching a doc on squirrels. Turns out the only places on earth they don’t exist is in Australia and Antarctica. Not surprising really. Antarctica has its environment trying to kill you and Australia has its environment and creature population trying to kill you. No place for a fuzzy squirrel in its wildlife.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2019, 01:49:34 AM »
Just watching a doc on squirrels. Turns out the only places on earth they don’t exist is in Australia and Antarctica. Not surprising really. Antarctica has its environment trying to kill you and Australia has its environment and creature population trying to kill you. No place for a fuzzy squirrel in its wildlife.
There was an Australian Youtuber named Natalie (channel was called communitychannel) that visited New York City as part of some sort of con and it was her first time in the US and she flipped out chasing after squirrels with her camera because she had never seen them before and thought they were so cute. Also she was enamored at red solo cups which are common here in the states but she had only seen in movies.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2019, 02:54:19 AM »
We have possums. They have habits of getting into roofs

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »
We have possums. They have habits of getting into roofs

Or shitting all over my car. Every day. Because climbing across from one tree to another generally goes over my car.

Communitychannel was great. She actually was 2 years younger than my wife from the same school.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
The sense of optimism is my favourite thing about Australia. Moved to Brisbane a few years ago now, won’t be going back to the motherland!
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2019, 06:50:42 PM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2019, 06:55:19 PM »
Sorry ... catching up here ... and imagine if there were polar bears migrating to Antarctica! :icon_eek: :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
Thats the thing though, we have a lot of cute marsupials and the like too. Our neighbourhood possum is a friendly little guy, except for the poo he always leaves on the footpath every day. Have you guys heard of a Quokka? They are super cute. However my wife shared me a meme picture about them which is pretty funny... basically saying that the mothers throw their children at predators so they can escape.... which is hilarious and horrifying at the same time.

Anyway...

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2019, 01:06:18 AM »
Some bad news for Masterchef Australia fans... the hosts have retired and next season they are bringing on new people.
I am sceptical. I love the old 3, and I am not sure of some of their choices.... one is an ex winner too, and I dont think has enough experience or credibility, not sure about the other two.

Anyway, just thought I wouldnlet you all know as I know there are some fans on the forum.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »
― Jake the Dog