home

Author Topic: Goodbye Photobucket  (Read 16134 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Goodbye Photobucket
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »
There was indeed yesterday a short period where it did not work. Temprorary glitch or a sign of things to come?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
Some of mine have come back .... and some haven't.  :icon_twisted:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:16 AM »
Some of mine have come back .... and some haven't.  :icon_twisted:

Looks the same here. At one point, it looked like the older were back but newer lost.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »
Well looking at my 'machinations' thread - the very first post has one pic showing and one not - so weird.   :biggriin:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
In my "History of the Empire", all pictures are back.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
Save em while you can folks. The Dark Lords of Photobucket will be onto your tricks soon enough.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »
On another forum I frequent someone has just posted that all their Photobucket pictures have just reappeared in past threads.

No one there seems to know anything about what is happening with Photobucket so has anyone on here heard from them.

Have they relented having seen the error of their ways – or is it just a lucky glitch that will be closed when they find it.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
You can use the '~original' insert after the .jpg and it restores the pic, which I have done in some threads on here.

Also I think a couple of hosts have created a fix, but it mines data. There is a thread / post about it on LAF

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
Mine seem to never have gone...
 :blush:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
You can use the '~original' insert after the .jpg and it restores the pic, which I have done in some threads on here.

Thanks Midaski - I’ve used the ~original fix on all my photos here when your first mentioned it.

What has happened on the other Forum is that users who have not paid Photobucket (PB) or used the fix are finding the ‘warning notice’ from PB has now gone and their pictures have reappeared in their old threads. The Forum owners have not done anything to over-ride PB’s actions so it seems that either PB has had a change of heart or they have a software malfunction.

One user says an email from PB offered them the $400 service for $19.95 - so is a change on the way – will anyone trust them enough to go back?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
They're idiots. I would have paid $19.99, but not what they were asking. Instead I paid for my own website (which cost more than $19.99) and then spent weeks of effort (spread out over months) editing all the posts to have 2000 new pictures in. I also re-wrote the text on the Oldhammer website where they automated the procedure of lifting all the photos off photobucket and onto their own server.

If they had been reasonable at the start it would have saved me VAST amounts of effort. How can I trust them now?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
Seems that Photobucket is under new management but they still charge for 3rd party hosting – at a more reasonable level.

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=051618_imagesarefreed

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
So the images have been 'liberated' for a set time. But there is a limit (undefined) to that time, and then the reasonable $19.99 rates kicks in. Except it would have been reasonable back last summer, but is now offered by a company it is hard to place trust in.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2018, 04:33:09 AM »
Nope, won't trust them, even at $20 -- which they say is just an introductory offer -- will increase. Presumably their previous plan fell flat and they need a quick cash grab.

I understand that they need new ways to generate revenue, and I'm willing to pay for image hosting. But they need to prove they've got something to offer that's better than the other options -- and they just don't have it. Over the years their service got progressively worse, even before they ended 3rd party hosting. Then they shat on all their users.

Besides, with other options like most paid web hosting, you can easily retrieve or move your photos & other files, maintain links, etc. Something like Photobucket, you're always at their mercy. Also...

Q: What if I don’t want to purchase a subscription? Can I have my images back?

A: Yes, you are free to download your images. They belong to you! We believe our new subscription plan is priced fairly and is very competitive to other services. Our new management team is committed to serving our customers in the best possible way, and we hope you will consider this offer and keeping your images with Photobucket.

Sure, you can have your photos back. But we've removed the option to download multiple images or a full album at a time, so enjoy downloading those 2000 photos one at a time!

Dicks.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2018, 05:48:32 AM »
I'm thinking about paying the 1.99 to liberate a bunch of old photos...