home

Author Topic: The Minotaurs: End Times?... or Good Times?!  (Read 500618 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Minotaurs (and all things Beastly)
« Reply #775 on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:31 AM »
The new giant is better in every possible way.  Stay far away from the metal one.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #776 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »

Dude I love that giant but he is really small compared to the new one
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #777 on: January 31, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »
Yeh, I 'borrowed' one of these the other day in the store to try out using a giant and he was sadly small.

I actually kinda like the mini, though not as much as the old bearded one, sentimental...

I thought I'd ask about price as these days you seem to pay $30-40 for one mounted character so figured it must be a good deal.

Anyways, I want a big giant and that was why I managed to hold off on the day. Guess I'll let him sit on the shelf and get me a proper giant giant.  :evil:
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #778 on: January 31, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »
If you're serious about that, look for the forgeworld one.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #779 on: January 31, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
See I don't really like the forge world one. Sure it's really big, but it isn't all that nice looking.

The plastic one is $45 flat, so not really that bad.  I would see you my old metal giant if you really want for $25 including shipping.

Phil

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #780 on: February 01, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
My new army I am playing with goes like this:

1 Beast Herd 8 Gir 9 ungor with full command
2 units of 5 hounds
5 centigor with musician
4 Chariots
1 Wargor with mark of khorne, chaos armor, great weapon, and the Bloodhunt horn.

I am then torn with my last 250 points.

Do I go with 2 more units of herds?  A unit of 4 minotaur with the mark of khorne (my choice), or a giant?  Another chariot and a herd?  Any advice?  This is for the 1000 point tournament on May 16th.

Phil

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #781 on: February 01, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
I'd love to give you advice but my results are so random that it wouldn't be worth a whole lot  :-P.

After that wonderful massacre against the WoC, yesterday I took on my brother's Empire army (2 units of knights, one with wiz, one with hero - and a steam tank   - how on earth do you take that out??) and only managed to kill two guys as my army was decimated.

*sigh*.

Thanks for the giant offer, but I think I am going to take heed of what people are saying and try and hang on to get one of the really giant ones, just incase I want to get two in the long run so they won't look silly together.

Course, you could go crazy and slot some Minos of Khorne in there with those points  :-o.

Probably if I had the models, I'd try the whole exta chariot and herd idea. Chariot for that extra thorn in your opponent's side, herd for something nice and expendable that can also help out, or maybe ambush or whatever.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #782 on: February 01, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
Siberius, if you buy it that giant and send it to me, I will give you money or various bits.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #783 on: February 01, 2009, 02:04:09 PM »
Do I go with 2 more units of herds?  A unit of 4 minotaur with the mark of khorne (my choice), or a giant?  Another chariot and a herd?  Any advice?  This is for the 1000 point tournament on May 16th.

I would be inclined to go with the Khorne Minotaurs.
I would imagine they'd make quite a mess at 1000 points...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #784 on: February 12, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »
Siberius, if you buy it that giant and send it to me, I will give you money or various bits.

This still the case? Sorry, I didn't really catch it properly the first time, but I know the giant is still sitting there looking like he wants to jump out of the box and crush some little dudes!

Tell you what, pm me or something and let me know the kind of bits you have or such. Otherwise money is always good, hehe.

I've actually used the giant (they have another one made up at the store that I borrowed) the last three battles and he has really shown his worth. In the first he spent the whole time limping towards a steam tank, being held up by magic and march blocking until finally he was able to charge in the 5th turn and smash it to pieces with his club  8-). In the second he managed to yell at and then run down a unit of 10 chosen. He then shattered a chaos chariot apart. The third, alas, he succumbed to a cannon shot and magic missles but his death brought time for my ogres to rampage into the side of the steam tank and hack it apart.

:happy:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #785 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »
Hello all,

We just had our mini-tournament.  It was a three gamne series, with 1000 points.  I used Beastmen, one player had WE, another had DE, and the Lord Karnik had his Lizardmen.

I ended up with 3 massacres, the DE player had 2 massacres and one lose to me, Lord Karnik had one solid victory and two loses, and the WE player lost all of his games, but these were his first 3 real games!  He is a quick learner.

We were sorting out some serious rule issues, with the DE player needing some serious coaching on aligning for charges and the rules for aligning.  He also charged his hydra like a skirmisher once or twice.  I wasn't wathing those games so I didn't catch it.

My list?

1 Wargor - Bloodhunt horn (worked great!) GW, Chaos Armor, Mark of Khorne

1 Beastherd - 9 Gor - 12 Ungor - full command
4 chariots
6 Centigor - musician and standard
1 Giant

Phil

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #786 on: February 16, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
I must get a beastman army someday. It's the only one I've never, ever seen. The idea of an army of skirmishers is fascinating (when not wood elves, elves suck).

And boy do I love minotaurs. Those old models are awesomly funky.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #787 on: February 16, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »
I have 12 of the minotaur and cannot wait to see the new ones!  If they really are plastic I will be one happy man!

Phil

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #788 on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:13 AM »
Oh dear, I can feel it coming over me. I've already started planning purchases in 3 months after I test my "500 points a month" thing with Eldar.

Fantasy Army #6 Coming in May.  :dry:

I need to stop being easily smitten by models.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #789 on: February 17, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
Good show Philly  8-).

I have found beasts to be one of the best armies to take on those wood elves because they seem to counter everything that makes wood elves nifty. When I use them, I pretty much charge everything head long into the woods to flush out all the expensive scouts and spellsingers and try and surround them. It's usually close, but compared to some other battles I've seen where people can never even get near them to kill them, it's kinda nice.

I'm also enjoying the centigor. I don't think I grasped until this league I did how effective they could be, especially if frenzy hits at the right moment!

And giants, well, I've fallen in love!

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #790 on: February 17, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »
The new giant is better in every possible way.  Stay far away from the metal one.

Phil

Unless its this metal one

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #791 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »
Oh dear, I can feel it coming over me. I need to stop being easily smitten by models.

Quote, anyone ?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #792 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »
Oh dear, I can feel it coming over me. I need to stop being easily smitten by models.

Quote, anyone ?

Seeing that post and then seeing this image:

Unless its this metal one

I'm frightened  :icon_cry:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #793 on: February 17, 2009, 12:36:23 PM »
That old marauder giant was nice, but he is terribly obselete now.  I still have most of him but he just isn't that great.

Siberius:  I love the giant.  I couldn't resist taking him!

I still think we are critically flawed, especially at 1000 points.  LD7 is horrid.  At one point, Lord KArnik salamandered my generals beastherd.  I needed to roll under a 7 or run off the board.  That isn't a good situation to be in when it is only 8" between the back of the unit and the edge of the board...

Phil

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #794 on: February 17, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

This still the case? Sorry, I didn't really catch it properly the first time, but I know the giant is still sitting there looking like he wants to jump out of the box and crush some little dudes!

Tell you what, pm me or something and let me know the kind of bits you have or such. Otherwise money is always good, hehe.

I've actually used the giant (they have another one made up at the store that I borrowed) the last three battles and he has really shown his worth. In the first he spent the whole time limping towards a steam tank, being held up by magic and march blocking until finally he was able to charge in the 5th turn and smash it to pieces with his club  8-). In the second he managed to yell at and then run down a unit of 10 chosen. He then shattered a chaos chariot apart. The third, alas, he succumbed to a cannon shot and magic missles but his death brought time for my ogres to rampage into the side of the steam tank and hack it apart.

:happy:

I'm not sure if this means you want to trade him or not. Regardless, I may need top rescind my offer, as I have acquiring a friend's Giant to paint - so I guess we will see how I feel after that... no hard feelings if you decide to move it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #795 on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
It's no problem Warlord. I actually don't own it yet. I just meant it was still at the store. I decided not to buy it in the end. I was only going to buy it if you wanted it and then trade it or something. I've decided that I really should go for the plastic one for myself.

And Philly, yes indeedy. That Ld 7 is a big drawback. That's why in the end I stopped bothering with wargors and just took shamans and foe renders. The magic was really helping me out. One battle I had three movement spells, so I was really able to control the charges. My chariots became a whole new beast!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #796 on: February 17, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
You know what I found, take the wargor out of the unit.  Let him run in bhind it if need be, but he is ItP due to the MoK, so why chain him to a unit which isn't Itp?  HE is protected from whatever shooting, yet is able to avoid the panic of the herd.  He can run anywhere, charging with them or something else.  He can go one place and use the bloodhunt horn if need be.  Another time, I charged a unit of skink cohorts with the wargor by himself while the herd went after aother target.  They both pummeled their targets.  It worked really well!

Phil

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #797 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »
That sounds sensible. I was running my tzeentch wargor with my herd when I tried that out and he just kept being pursued to death so with the double shaman thing I generally started them in a unit (if there was no convenient cover or hiding places) and then moved them out to circle closeby thereafter. It worked a treat., Makes sense to do the same with the wargor I suppose.

Dunno how many more games I will play with beasts now before the new book comes out due to the gaming overload recently and the fact that I really want to use my Dark Elves more what with that new book. Why didn't I use them for this campaign??

Ah well, it was a goodly learning experience.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #798 on: February 19, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
Well I reworked my army:

1 Wargor - Heavy armor, GW, Mark of Khorne

2 Beast Herds - 8 Gor, 9 Ungor, full command

4 chariots

5 centigor - musician and shields

1 giant

I think this will give me good shooting defense, while packing alot of heavy hitters into a small army.

phil

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #799 on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
*Inquisitor McKnight walks in and looks around.

Then silently dumps his sleeping bag and belongings in a corner of the minotaur cave. *

Can I stay with you guys? My home was taken away from me...
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1