home

Author Topic: The Minotaurs: End Times?... or Good Times?!  (Read 500599 times)

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
Re: Minotaurs (The Beasts are Back!!)
« Reply #1900 on: January 30, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »
SO I played against the New Beastmen tonight.

I was asked to play my tourney list (was taking on the Best General 0 sportsmanship guy from the last tourney here).

His list:

Doombull - greatweapon, armour piercing gift, scaly skin gift, that helm, heavy armour, shield
Gorbull - some stuff, greatweapon
Gor hero - chariot, BSB, some gift, banner -1AS for all enemy units in 6"
lv1 shaman with 2xDS

3x8 ungor skirmish
4x5 hounds
1 unit of 8 scouting harpies
21 beastigor with full command
4 mino's with greatweapons
2 tuskgor chariots
2 Jabberslythes

was quite nasty. The jabberslythe magic thing was responsible for the loose of an entire unit of knights, 2 mages, 2 greatcannons (the 3rd blew itself up) and a few bits and bobs. I manage to take one out with a steamtank (trying to doge the 6- eventually 8 attacks str8 mino lord).

I clawed back abit (the archlector being a REAL MAN took on the hero chariot, mino unit and bestigor alone and actually won combat by 1 and all 3 broke, unfortunately I had to choose which direction I had to go (both flanks and front in contact) I did run down the betigor which was funny! Course the archlector was run over by one of the other chariots the next turn but thats beside the point he stared that chariot down like a champ.

there was some funk moving which i laughed at (2 can play that game).

He bought his warhounds in single file, turned etc. so got them 10 or so inches onto the table - this way they would be out of grape shot range of my cannon and not showing a flank.

I sorted the move out quick smart by turn 90degs with a unit of knights and shifting 4 inches forward so I could flip my cannon around and into cover of the knights. I was chuffed at myself =P course the cannon misfired and blew up the next turn... :icon_rolleyes:

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #1901 on: January 30, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
So, did he use the ambush rule? In which units were the characters? (I guess Doombull in beasties, Gorbull in Minos)
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #1902 on: January 30, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »
This new beasts army is gonna take a lot of getting used to...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #1903 on: January 30, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
and we all accept it just floats back into the hand of the weilder?

Philly i've never been on to argue RAI- i think RAI is silly. But it wouldn't hurt to be a little clearer in their writing (but lets not get into that).

Is a throwing axe or javalin single use?  Do you define how many arrows come with an archer?  There is nothing to assume something is single use if it isn't explicit.  It is a mechanism that exists, one which they make use of.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #1904 on: January 31, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »
I always thought throwing weapons were multi use... and that maybe the wielder just had more of them stashed in his loin cloth...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1905 on: January 31, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »

Both mino characters in Bestigor, they ended up charging a stank (they were in range but not the bestigor) and I'd used a solo knight to pull the characters away from my line.

The gorbull impaled itself on the steam tank.

He ambushed 1 unit of skirmish ungor and 2 hound units. all 3 came directly behind my warmachines (one deployed on the left, one on the right, one from the back). I managed to magic most or outmanourve so the ambush didn't really work but it did grab my attention .

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #1906 on: January 31, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »

Huh, gotta remember this. Minos do impact hits now. Good against everything except a steam tank!

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #1907 on: January 31, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

Huh, gotta remember this. Minos do impact hits now. Good against everything except a steam tank!

Impact hits... Making Steam Tank vs. Steam Tank combat all the more bizarre...  :icon_eek:

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1908 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »
Yeah, its like the Ogres and their suicide collision!

Phil

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1909 on: February 01, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »

Phil

It was a little funny to watch. Too bad I didn't take the Doombull down the same way, would have changed the game!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1910 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
I'm surprised the guys tried it.  HE must not have remembered?

Phil

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1911 on: February 01, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »
Nah it was a tatical choice as the alternative was charging with the beatigor at a lone knight that would have pulled them all away for at least 2 turns

Was reading the special characters tonight they look great not over powered but offer some dun buffs and reasonably priced...

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #1912 on: February 01, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
Beasts pay 20 points for a sword of might! Ripoff!  ::heretic::

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1913 on: February 02, 2010, 03:02:51 AM »
Why is that?  O&G pay 10.

:D

Phil

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #1914 on: February 02, 2010, 03:03:24 AM »

Phil

Hmm... Kamikaze Ogres...

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1915 on: February 02, 2010, 03:24:05 AM »
I have watched the poor boys pile into the side of the stank and turn into intestinal explosions.  Like a frog getting run over by a bike.

Phil

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1916 on: February 02, 2010, 03:46:46 AM »
you know i lost a stank to Ogres once...

40 gnoblars getting Stand and shoot...stopped that stank in it's tracks (from the next turn on. I still rolled over 14 of the blighters).

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1917 on: February 02, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
So I'm not sure if this should be in the beasts or dark elf thread. Eitherway I took on 2 of the Hong Kong locals tonight with my delves and they used the new beastmen.

Dreadlord- caledors bane, armour of eternal servitude, ring of hotek, heavy armour, shield, sea dragon cloak
Lv2 mage - dark star cloak, dispell scroll
Lv2 mage - powerstone, dispell scroll
Assassin - extra handweapon, manbane, rending stars - in shades

2x10 bowmen
10 corsairs with handbows
6 dark riders - with rxbows, herald, musician

6 COK with standard of slaughter,FC
7 Shades, Great weapons
15 black Guard with FC and ASF banner

2x Hydras.

Yes this is a nasty nasty nasty list, t'was designed this way mostly because I was playing true blue hong kong gamers and as a trial for a potential tourney list (probably swap the corsairs for a 3rd bowmen unit)

These guys used the same army, Terence (my 2nd opponent) used it simply to prove to Sunny (my first) that it wasn't 100% crap.

BeastLord - 1st game with the scaly skin, helm, greatweapon. 2nd game with the re-roll primal fury
Lv2 mage - 2xDS
Lv1 mage- 2xDS
Lv1 mage- 2xDS

2x25 Gor with FC
2x10 ungor skirmish
15 hounds (first game in 1 unit, 2nd game in 3 units)
2x8 harpies (1 unit scout)
2x4 mino with greatweapons (not going to lie these guys are bloody scary, shame they die to massed bow fire)
4 Tuskgor Chariots
Giant.

Now I don't view this as a crazy hard list but you may view it differently. As my mate said, "when talking about hong kong gamers anything goes"

Anyway.

Game 1 againt Sunny - he conceeded turn 3. I wiped him off the table in fact I was more upset at the result then he was because I felt like A) a douche B) cheated from a game C) embarressed for the guy who came 1st in the last tourney (with daemons). I just blew his army to shreds. I'm naming one of my crossbow units the Giant Slayers after they took the beast down with a single volley.

Game 2 was against Terrence, IMHO a far far better player. He used Beast magic instead of Beastmen magic which was a better choice. 1 reason I beat sunny was I let him move all his units d6 inches turn 1 which put many of his units in charge range of my stuff (COK, Hydras etc).

this was a far harder game and frankly I was getting my arse handed turns 1-2. Thankfully 3 units stepped up to the plate. The Giant Slayers (see above) which took a charge by some harpies, the slayers had amage in the unit, beat the harpies, overran into a unit of hounds, beat the hounds, overran into a unit of Minotaurs, was charged by the giant, survived a round of combat and killed 1 of the minos and did 2 wounds on teh giant before falling back. Eventually died to a man but held up the mino unit for 3 turns. Not a bad effort for a missile trooper.

On my far left (terence deployed in a refused flank and left 1 harpy, 1 ambushing ungor, 1 hound and 1 chariot on my right, everything else was deployed 22" on the left side of the table. Facing this I had my dark riders (which took out the hounds but was killed by the chariot). The archers spent 3 turns holding that flank alone, causing the harpies to scatter, wounding the chariot and then charging the ambushing ungor and clearing that table quater.

The man of this match however had to be the Dragon lord. He went BALLISTIC this game, totally unstoppable - in fact while incredibly nasty he is incredibly fun to play. Turn 1 a unit of 25 gor ambushed my righ flank and threatened to steam role my line (I gave both 1st turns to the beast players). The dragon repositions, breathed 5 to death causing the unit to flee. The beasts rallied so I charged with 9 attacks I got 9 kills, ran the unit down, ran a unit of hounds down (fled due to broken combat) ran into a unit of 4 mino. Kill 2 of the 3 in base contact, ran them down. Turned around flamed the other Gor unit (holding the beast lord and 3 mages) before charging the next turn, killing the beastlord with 6CR, broke the unit and ran them down! Not bad for 5 turns work!

Ths assassin was good as well, accoutning for 1 giant, 3 chariots. Black Guard didn't do anything special in either game really, wondering if I should keep this unit or not.

Anyway. So beast aren't a match for cheesed out Delves apparently (although I like tothink I outplayed the guys as well). But the beast list is certainly fun.

Offline The newbie

• Members
  • Empire
« Reply #1918 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »
The Giant Slayers (see above) which took a charge by some harpies, the slayers had amage in the unit, beat the harpies, overran into a unit of hounds

You overan after being charged or you overan after charging? If it was the first, you shouldn't have.
Fantasy GT09 Heat 1: 30th
LoTR GT09: 47th
LoTR GT10: 14th (and a member of the winning team)

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1919 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »
You overan after being charged or you overan after charging? If it was the first, you shouldn't have.

Unless he won combat, and they pursued with super short legs that runs down flying chicks...
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1920 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »
He took a garbage list, so it isn't too surprising about the ending.

Phil

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1921 on: February 03, 2010, 12:45:29 AM »
The giant slayers won combat, pursued *caught the harpies*, running into the hounds, killed 4, pursued *ran the hounds down* ran into the mino's was then charged by the giant.

I can't decide if the list was crappy or not Philly. 4 Chariots? Lots of spam magic and strong magic defence, I didn't get a spell in for most of the 2nd game - 2 scrolls and all dice on 1 spell every round. and thats not assuming my 2 miscasts.

The Gor infantry are about the only thing i'd change, I wouldn't have bothered, 1 unit of bestigor and hte other unit I would have made into some big nasties. Giant should have been something nastier as well like a Jabberslythe.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1922 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:03 AM »
My 2250 point list has 8 chariots, 2 jabberwocky, 2 units of minotaur, and a horde of about 80 ungor in various confirmations with shortbows.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #1923 on: February 03, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »
My 2250 point list has 8 chariots, 2 jabberwocky, 2 units of minotaur, and a horde of about 80 ungor in various confirmations with shortbows.

sounds fun!  :ph34r:

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #1924 on: February 03, 2010, 07:30:29 AM »
The list really isn't the strongest. Sure, the magic defense is high, but everything else?
25 Gors in ambush CAN be nice if they come on the right side, but too expensive to gamble on this. Three shamen, but two are LVL1? For 70 points more he would actually have a decent magic phase to build pressure. Especially if he foregoes two scrolls and takes a herdstone or hagtree fetish instead. and hiding three shamen in one unit of gors is risky too.
Next a giant...we all know how good this guy is against any army with  boltthrowers or small arms fire.
Two units of harpies...i wouldn't do it, but has its merits. Leaves the army with only two hardhitting specials though.
Scrapping one unit of gors would free up enough points to upgrade the mages and take a jabberwock/ghorgon instead of the giant. If there are still points left one might take two pumbas instead of one unit of harpies. Oh, and make the ungors 4x5.
I don't know if that list is capable to beat your nasty DE, but it is a lot stronger than the oneyou played against.