home

Author Topic: Imperial Castle WIP - The Saga continues (Update w/pics)  (Read 12148 times)

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Imperial Castle WIP - The Saga continues (Update w/pics)
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:02:42 AM »
Well, as it says on the tin... the saga continues.  I keep working on the castle as much as the itime will allow it.

Here,  I made the Castle's great banner in plastic - to be flown atop the highest tower:

Closer view:

The greatest "leap forward" so far - I completed the initial drybrushing stage.  Highlighting this beastie was a major hassle.  "Thou shalt not drybrush a large surface with a small brush"!  Well, as usual, I did this late at night and had to make do with what I had at hand.  Here is the first stage:

As you can see, at this stage I drybrushed the tile-covered roof of the Main Tower and primed the great banner.  It will contain golden fields, hence the yellow primer:

At this stage, I have to start figuring out what to put on the Castle's shields and banners - 2 shields and 3 molded banners, in addition to the top one on the tower.  The drawback of being able to design anything I want heraldry-wise is that I then have to chose the best! A tough choice, indeed... Here is a look at my computer monitor, in the process of figuring that out:

It will depend on my fluff.  I already decided that the castle will belong to one of the commanders of my Order of the Boar.  Hence, the Boarhead theme.  Some dry runs...

...convinced me that the Order's arms will be displayed on one shield, the commander's personal arms will be on the second shield.  The banner in betweeen will incorporate both sets of arms, via quartering - much like it was the privilege of the highest-ranking  commanders of the Teutonic order...

Well... to be continued.  MEanwhile, feedback most welcome  :evil:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:12:16 AM by imperialforge »

Offline They_Call_Him_Thortron

• Members
Re: Imperial Castle WIP - The Saga continues (Update w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:22:27 AM »
To imperialforge,

To start, I absolutely love the heraldry scheme of the black, gold, boar and eagle full shields and quartering over the main gate.  Secondly, what type of program is that on which you designed your heraldry on, and where can I get that program?  :-o

Also, are you done drybrushing the walls or will there be additional weathering added, i.e., water damage, moss, lichen, etc.  And what is to be done with the grate on the bottom of the left tower?

I look forward to more reports.

- T.C.H. Thortron 
Just sell out and go Tzeench. He'll give you power, money, longevity, and tentacles. <3's for Tzeench, the chaos god of Japanese School girls. - Fog of Waagh

I like it. Reminds me of this scene I made out of Legos of Harry Potter being burned at the stake. - Your Mother

Offline Marcus Leitdorf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 06:10:35 AM »
Hey IF,

This is entirely too cool! 8-)

The weathering looks great so far. The heraldry sets it off splendidly. The banner is top notch. I am looking forward to seeing it all completed.

Marcus
Faithfulness to our fathers, faithfulness to our sons. Marius shall be avenged!

Offline Vivendi

• Members
  • Belgium, land of rain
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:14:15 AM »
The second heraldry is way to cool. Now only basing and it is done I think. Maybe some green inkt between the stones closest to the ground.
We worden geboren om te leven en leven om te sterven.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »
OMG that's an old version of photoshop!

-Grutch

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
OMG that's an old version of photoshop!

-Grutch

Indeed, it is...  8-) I don't have a CS version like some fancy folks around here  :mrgreen:, so like I said, I have to make do with what I 've got  :?

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
That's a damn cool Castle and heraldry, unofortunately I have access to the better version of Photoshop and am not a cheap sod :-D or more like get your College to buy it!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »
Very very nice. I am following your project with great interest. Definitely approve of your chocie of heraldry  :-)

And I too am interested in the final decision RE the grating at the bottom left tower...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:22:03 AM »
Here is a plastic swivel cannon I made to be used from the towers.  These cannon are light and can be transported by 2-3 people rapidly.  I want to place one on every tower.

BTW, why are so many people interested in this grate at the bottom of the right tower?  I wasn't payint it any attention, planning to paint it rusted metal and be... sewage drain or whatever - until people started asking questions, that is.  Is it particularly unsightly?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:23:56 AM by imperialforge »

Offline cheaky

• Members
  • Melbs, Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 04:30:13 AM »
Nice work:)

I'm going to have to steal a few ideas for my caslte/wall thingy :P

Did you make the castle from scratch or did you buy it?  (Just read a few of your earlier threads. Very nice ::) I love turning toys into cool stuff :).

What are you going to put in the middle of it?

Oh, I love the swivel cannon.

Keep up the awsome work,

Cheaky.

Offline Marcus Leitdorf

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 06:15:30 AM »
Ok! Now you are just starting to challenge me with these swivel cannons. :evil:

That is definitely cool. :-D

Marcus
Faithfulness to our fathers, faithfulness to our sons. Marius shall be avenged!

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 02:55:31 PM »
"BTW, why are so many people interested in this grate at the bottom of the right tower?  I wasn't payint it any attention, planning to paint it rusted metal and be... sewage drain or whatever - until people started asking questions, that is.  Is it particularly unsightly?"

I think it's because it's the one part of the castle that looks 'toylike' even with the superb paint job you've done.  For one thing, it's out of scale (real castles would not have put handy drains several men could walk through on the ground level of course) and then the big hinges also kind of stick out.

I'd throw a shrubbery or something in front of it and it should draw the eye a lot less. The rest looks great :)

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 06:04:39 PM »
I'm afraid it just makes it look less 'real', or perhaps 'less warhammer-fantasy style "real"'.

I like your cannons though, did you say you made them? If so, do you mean assembled, or carved/ moulded/converted?
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Calevarster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 09:17:43 PM »
Looking good - the black and gold is definitely the way to go...  I assume the heraldry from the shields will adorn the banner hangings on the towers?  Or maybe the quartered banner?  I'm having trouble thinking about black and yellow at the mo, running through painting up my Averlanders.

Again, the grate just looks... kind of wrong :?  I'm not entirely sure why.  What about blocking it up entirely - removing the grate, and building around the base of the tower with another type of stone - similar to Marcus' idea for his outpost. 

It could represent the drain having been blocked up or repaired, either by skilled masons, or random bits of stone in preparation for a siege.  It would necessitate more work, and likely spoil the immediate paint job though.  Then that leads to other possible battle scarring/reinforcement/running repairs etc. On second thoughts maybe not such a good idea :|

I'm curious about the guns as well.  With a few easy mods. they could easily represent harpoons/small cannons for a small naval patrol vessel.  More ideas to add to my scrap book I guess.

Cal
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:19:17 PM by Calevarster »

Offline Sinister

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 06:22:28 AM »
I've got 6 of this castles and you give the great Idea what to do with them. The best I think is the so called Roman Fort, because it's wooden and has alot of leders and other stuff. I'll start to paint them.
Thank you for the idea.

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:55:03 AM »
Well, the building continues.  Time to put in windows.

For windows I printed a stained glass pattern on a transparency and glued it to the inside walls to match window openings.  I chose a nice subdued emerald green stained glass theme, which indicates that the owner, despite being a military commander, and of high rank too, appreciates and enjoys fine Imperial living as well  :lol:

Offline Talonz

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 06:18:34 AM »
Mmm castles!  Any updates?  Some 3d view pics would be great too!

Offline Count Richter Malleus

• Members
  • Hey Hey
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »
just curious,what did you use for the statue by the gate?
For Sigmar and Nordland!

Offline Etrigan001

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 02:41:36 AM »
Anything new and exciting happening with the castle?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
wow looks good keep posting  :smile2:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Lord Tilioth

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 07:13:05 AM »
lol if you don't mind where did you get this castle it is a good idea for a castle would like to know keep updated :D
"To Honor and Glory we march, but death is still inevitable" - Grand Master Lord Tilioth of The Knights of the Golden Realm
Empire Score Sheet:
Win/Draw/Lose
64/8/11
Tournaments played and won ratio - 3:3

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
lol if you don't mind where did you get this castle it is a good idea for a castle

Look for plastic/toy castles on eBay. That's where/how I got it.

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »
Vundeful, absolutely great, you have my kudos for sure!
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.