home

Author Topic: Empire on a Grand Scale  (Read 12605 times)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Empire on a Grand Scale
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »
I like the idea of a river but maybe north to south so that it doesn't just mess one army up, and is a bit of a divide between one wing and the rest...

Also an objective in each sector makes sense so that the board doesn't get stacked.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »
I also think that the objective system somehow should be made so that it is very difficult to plan with ignoring one of the objectives. Otherwise, a sound strategy would be to get local superiority on two objectives and ignore the last.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »

Map number two.

Here is the idea.   There are four objectives.   The chaos altar, the village and the tower and the fort.   [The tower and the fort are really close together across the river]

Two river crossing points [The bridge and the road place]   The rest of the river can be crossed but is DT.

Some swamp in the north [maybe too much]

some trees in the south [again maybe too much.

I think the Empire can start with one unt [max 20 models in the tower]

The buildings all use the building rules.

The BC logo marks out the magic sections

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
I think you should go ahead and make the threads for both armies so people can start signing up and discussing army lists.  That will give you time to tweak the map (I think you can adjust the size of terrain in BC, not sure) and get the rules finalized.  I expect it will take a couple of days (at least) to get teams and lists settled.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 01:24:43 AM »
Yeh when you select the terrain you can alter it's inches size.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
How do we do with magic?  Normal Winds but only avaliable to wizards in each separate flank, or one big pool, 4d6, first and third highest to Dispel Pool, or similar?

What about multiple Dispel Scrolls?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »

Nope.   Just one

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »

Nope.   Just one
What about Winds of Magic? One big pool or several separate? Who can use the PD and DD in each area? Can you dispel/cast at targets outside your own area?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
There will be one pool for each magic section which can be used by casters within that magic section.   Spells will have an Effective Magical Range of 72 inches if there is no range mentioned in the spell.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
What is the range of dispels? 72'' too?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
I hadn't thought about that.   There are two options

1: A wizard can dispell any spell cast in his magic section

2: A wizard can dispell any spell cast with 72 inches of him.

I would go with option 2 but I'll leave option one there if people prefer it.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
I think the easiest way to go is to keep everything by section.

Dice generation is by board section.

Wizards can only dispel in their board section-  either by dice or Scroll.

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »
The situation that can arise is that you are targeted by a spell from outside your own section, can you dispel it from your own section, or do you have to do it from the origin section?

• Members
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
The situation that can arise is that you are targeted by a spell from outside your own section, can you dispel it from your own section, or do you have to do it from the origin section?

Based on what I proposed above, the dispel always comes from the original section, regardless of where the target is.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2013, 11:57:52 PM »
So for clarification...Winds of Magic will be divided into three sections/zones. Each zone will have a dice roll for Winds of Magic following the standard procedure. Only wizards within that zone may use the dice for that zone. Spells will have a maximum reach of 72 inches unless the spell specifically gives a shorter distance as the maximum range. Spells cast in one zone may reach units in another zone. Spells cast in a zone must be dispelled using dice, wizards, and items from that same zone. Do I have that right?

Additionally, Forumite and I look to be holding down the Empire side as all other voices seem to have gone quiet within our tactical forum. I don't know if either of us had initially intended on taking the lead for the Empire, but I think we're probably okay heading things up. We will, however, need probably one more day to sort things out. Apologies if we seem to be taking too long.

• Members
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 12:33:30 AM »
Additionally, Forumite and I look to be holding down the Empire side as all other voices seem to have gone quiet within our tactical forum. I don't know if either of us had initially intended on taking the lead for the Empire, but I think we're probably okay heading things up. We will, however, need probably one more day to sort things out. Apologies if we seem to be taking too long.

Don't sweat it-  we aren't close on our side either.  Still narrowing down the list.

Plus-  I think Commandant has some more game setup stuff too.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »
So for clarification...Winds of Magic will be divided into three sections/zones. Each zone will have a dice roll for Winds of Magic following the standard procedure. Only wizards within that zone may use the dice for that zone. Spells will have a maximum reach of 72 inches unless the spell specifically gives a shorter distance as the maximum range. Spells cast in one zone may reach units in another zone. Spells cast in a zone must be dispelled using dice, wizards, and items from that same zone. Do I have that right?

Yes.

Plus-  I think Commandant has some more game setup stuff too.

Indeed, I'll do it when I get home from work.   I meant to post it over the weekend but Real Life happened :)

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
Hm... that Winds of Magic thing changes my perspective on my list big time. I'm still going to go for some of the things I had planned, but a bit of editing is in order.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »
The fluff and the rules:

I will start another thread for the fluff and the battle but here are the rules as such.

Fluff:

Giant chaos invasion of the Empire.   The Empire army gathers beside a small town in order to block the chaos advance.   They position some men in a watch tower to look for the first few chaos troops.

Battle size
10,000 points

Deploy
Map based. - The general of each side will tell me where they intend to deploy each troop.   Then I will show all of the deployment to both sides.

Command.

1 General
1 Command staff.   The General can break up his army however he wants.   However I want that the break up is given to me at the start.   For example the break up could be as follow.

General - player one commanding

unit 1 - 5

Captain player 2 commanding

unit 5-9

Captain player three commanding

unit 10- 15

etc.

Or the general could keep the command of all of his units under his sole command

Turn rules

Charges:

All charges are declared
All charge reactions are declared
All charge reaction reactions are declared
All charge reaction reaction reactions are declared
etc.

The General is responsible for ensuring that each unit is ordered.

Magic:

Each magic zone [of which there are 3] generates Power dice and Dispell dice as normal.
Spells can only be cast by wizards drawing on the magic zones' dice that they are in.
Spells can only be dispelled by wizards within the same magic zone as the caster, drawing on the dispell dice of that zone
Unless otherwise stated the max range of a spell is 72 inches.

Shooting:

As normal

Slaughtering [sorry I mean combat]

As normal.

A request from me:

I would prefer that this has a strong theme/story to it.   I would ask when choosing lists that we keep this in mind.

Could each General give me the name of the character so I can start on the Fluff.

I would also ask that each unit have a champion/leader who is not a lord or hero.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »
Archaon is bringing the End Times.  Would you expect anything less?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »
I would not, I will await the name of the brave empire general mustering the defense

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »
Commandmant, I've just been chosen as the Emperor elect and will need a little more time to convene with my council before moving forward. The actual name of our general is yet to be determined, but you may utilize Jace Winderfall (If we're allowed to create our own) as a named character for your fluff. He is a wizard of great renown and has been following the movements of Archaon for some time. He will play a pivotal role in helping to decide the fate of the Empire as he helps our general to navigate the coming doom.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
Are we going to fight over any objectives is this just a normal pitched battle?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
There will be objectives.   Some public.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
Cool.

I look forward to hearing more about those. I especially like that some objectives are not public - makes it a bit more difficult to guess your opponents tactics and reasoning.